• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
There we go!

lvl 85 and almost completely decked out in 333 and 346 gear. Soon time for the raids :lol Almost maxed out mining, started out archaeology and started bought all tabards with all Cataclysm factions.

Yeah, I've been playing 31 hours.

Culex

Banned
I finally started playing again after nearly 2 years. Got my old level 70 Shadow priest up to 74 now. I'm liking the new skill sets.

vehn

Yoshichan said:
There we go!

lvl 85 and almost completely decked out in 333 and 346 gear. Soon time for the raids :lol Almost maxed out mining, started out archaeology and started bought all tabards with all Cataclysm factions.

Yeah, I've been playing 31 hours.

Are you in most epic 333 and 346 gear from heroics?

Abylim

Just trying to take something from you. Typical anonymous stranger =\
i hit 82 earlier today, had to go to work. Just finished up Hyjal, I'm in love. Got myself a worgen Rogue named Velistas. I'm on Proudmoore if anyones interested, or already is on there!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I've asked this on the Community WoW thread, but just to make sure more people see my question :

I've been wondering, my PC looks like this :

CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz
Video card : Nvidia Geforce 9800 1gb
RAM : 4gb DDR2
Power supply : 550W
Resolution : 1980x1200

What should i upgrade if i want something like +50 FPS with Ultra view distance and high shadows in every zones(ignoring the obvious lagfest of SW/Orgrimmar and 25 man raids)?

As of right now, i can get something like 30-35 FPS on average in a zone like Vashjir with these current settings, but view distance and shadows are killing my FPS a little and i cant stand the pixelated static shadows that we get below the High option and i love seeing as far as i can. Low res shadows are horrible underwater or in snowy areas. And i wonder if getting a better video card would help or if something better than Geforce 9800 wont change anything for an old game like WoW. I dont think getting more RAM would change anything too.

zlatko

Banned
Having not played since Vanilla launch times and coming back now I am FLOORED by the awesome.

How COULD any other MMO compete at this point? It boggles my mind how much they stuff into every aspect of the game, how much is refined, and the vast scope is incredible. Yes it has a few expansions behind it now, but the way the core game is now after Cata, the bar has been raised for other MMO developers how they have to initially launch a game now.

Battle.net is amazing too with the built in feature to talk to SC2 players while you play WoW. My buddy who I got a trial code for SC2 was chatting with me as he was doing campaign, and we both commented on how awesome that is.

There's so much to praise I think I'd eat up 3 pages worth to gab about and just be happy from. I'm having a lot of fun this Q3/Q4 of 2010 and it's been thanks to Blizzard with SC2 and now WoW. Best developer this year by a long shot.

yacobod

Banned
i tried logging into Illidan to play last night and the que was like 2900+, think it was 2-3 hour wait time, so i went to bed instead, maybe i'll get to play this weekend.

i'm not sure if i want to level my 80 orc warrior, belf dk, or orc hunter. i'm not particularly attached to them anymore, and i kind of want to level a new character. i have a level 31 belf rogue and paladin, a level 29 belf warlock. i sort of want to play a healer so i might continue on with the paladin or i might roll a goblin shaman or priest.

Randy

Goblin-quests, areas, humor, atmosphere, music, etc... Friggin' amazing!

nle976.jpg

Shadowlink283

Neo Member
I love how you have to level up with a bunch of guys from the other side altogether is so fucking awesome, lol some of them instead of focusing in leveling they're just doing pvp killing weak ones rofl what a bunch of assholes:lol :lol :lol

btw guild leveling is awesome, you just need a lot of people on it and you can level up faster

zlatko said:
Having not played since Vanilla launch times and coming back now I am FLOORED by the awesome.

How COULD any other MMO compete at this point? It boggles my mind how much they stuff into every aspect of the game, how much is refined, and the vast scope is incredible. Yes it has a few expansions behind it now, but the way the core game is now after Cata, the bar has been raised for other MMO developers how they have to initially launch a game now.

Battle.net is amazing too with the built in feature to talk to SC2 players while you play WoW. My buddy who I got a trial code for SC2 was chatting with me as he was doing campaign, and we both commented on how awesome that is.

There's so much to praise I think I'd eat up 3 pages worth to gab about and just be happy from. I'm having a lot of fun this Q3/Q4 of 2010 and it's been thanks to Blizzard with SC2 and now WoW. Best developer this year by a long shot.

I'm now playing WoW for the very first time, as I didn't have the time during the last 8+ years when I was playing FFXI. Coming from that community there was always this huge, stupid resentment for WoW and I have a feeling it was like that in many other communities and I never got it. Blizzard has always been a top-tier developer and while FFXI is fit more to my taste (I prefer the more mandatory group play, and still do after being exposed to WoW, to be honest), I really never even considered that WoW could actually be a bad game like people said...though I didn't have any experience with it myself.

After actually getting to sit down and see what it's all about, it's clear that this game is a great number of steps above anything else that's ever been on the MMO market...it really can't be compared with the rest of its genre. While I unfortunately haven't had the pleasure of being a part of the community since the early days and can't fully appreciate that changes that have come recently, I'm really enjoying the game as both an MMO and a game. It's just a ton of fun much like I enjoyed FFXI as both an MMO and a Final Fantasy RPG. Most other MMOs, FFXIV especially, just don't get it. They feel like a job and all the focus in building the game is put into the stuff that's there to hook you. There's very little I've seen in the rest of the genre that's there just for the sake of being there and enjoyable. There's so much polish and attention that goes into every aspect of those two games...Blizzard is definitely one of the most talented studios that has ever existed and I'm glad to see how much it shows in their flagship product.

Still very eager to get back to FFXI once I get something figured out with their stupid credit card security bullshit but I can see myself casually enjoying both games at this point. Definitely looking forward to seeing what high level WoW play is all about as the game continues to surprise me every day even though it's been out for so long and I thought I'd know what to expect.

webrunner

There's three things that fuel the "WOW SUCKS!" bandwagon:
1. The community (they're so ANGRY. It's like Xbox Live's hyperactive little brother)
2. Resentment on it being more popular than their chosen MMO
3. It being an MMO at all.

But in terms of a lot of things, WoW really is amazing. It even out-does a lot of singleplayer RPGs in terms of immersion, crunch, fluff, and story.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Effect said:
Was that human outpost next to the Orc city finally crushed or destroyed?

Destroyed by the cataclysm(you still see corpses from the people that were there before), but humans from Northwatch, that Alliance fortress south of Ratchet, are trying to take control of what's left.

V_Arnold

HixxSAFC said:

Do not ask! DO NOT!
You will now get a wall of text about most likely how "unneccessary" and "bland" these are, saying artbook you can get from ebay if you want, music is downloadble, and the "behind the scenes" dvd worth nothing / cards being just an advertisement.

So it is better if you let that go, or else you will have to learn how Blizz Collectors suck :p
(Hides his Cata, WOTLK and SCII collector editions in his closet).

...or not. They are actually awesome :)

The Lamonster said:
Well, I fucking love Vashj'r. It's so beautiful and creative.

Vashj'Ir, imho, is THE best area ever put into WOW. No contest, really. Both by visuality and variety. (Just wait until you see Deepholm..:)

Macattk15

Effect said:
Was that human outpost next to the Orc city finally crushed or destroyed?

Yeah but Taurajo was also destroyed by the Alliance. Pretty big war between the Horde and Alliance in Southern Barrens.

Furio53

I gave in and resubbed. I played off and on when it first came out, then some when BC came out. This game has changed a lot, and in a good way.
I'd love to play with some people, I started a Worgen, pretty cool start area! Are there any GAF guilds or groups for a Oceanic server?

derFeef

Randy said:
Goblin-quests, areas, humor, atmosphere, music, etc... Friggin' amazing!
Yeah, can´t believe how much better the starting areas for the Goblins are compared to the Worgen. Much more diversity and much more fun. Goblins rock.

Hari Seldon

So I pretty much skipped Wrath except to hit 80 and then unsubbed. So my toon is in level 70 epics and level 78 and lower blues and greens. I roll out on that boat in SW and get to whatever zone that is and wtf, these mobs have like 2304980239490 hit points and it takes a big part of my health just to kill 1 trash mob.

Philthy

Picked up the expansion. Goblin area is absolutely HORRIBLE. I gave it a shot, I really did. But driving around picking up my 'hommies' with a boombox blasting on my car was just too much. I rerolled as an Undead Hunter. Hoping I can get to the new areas with him and level up from there.. I don't think I can stomach that goblin area again.

KaYotiX said:
Hell yeah!!! Whooooooo
photo-1.jpg

Me too!

cept my WoW:CE box is a little more weathered (new kitten at the time found it, and...exercised claws a bit on it).

but its nice and lol worthy when I roll an alt and spam gchat with 10+ achievements adding all my pets, I did it once on somethingawfuls guild and got muted immediately complete with passive aggressive nerd rage in gchat, ....was worth it.

Flib

Philthy said:
Picked up the expansion. Goblin area is absolutely HORRIBLE. I gave it a shot, I really did. But driving around picking up my 'hommies' with a boombox blasting on my car was just too much. I rerolled as an Undead Hunter. Hoping I can get to the new areas with him and level up from there.. I don't think I can stomach that goblin area again.

You realize that's just the intro to the main goblin starting area, right?

Either way though, the Goblin stuff is really fantastic.

Philthy

Flib said:
You realize that's just the intro to the main goblin starting area, right?

Either way though, the Goblin stuff is really fantastic.

Sorry, but a hiphop theme doesn't do anything for me. I hate it with a passion. I don't care how cool it gets later, it isn't worth putting up with short term.

Philthy said:
That's racist.

Goblins are fucking awesome. Following generic fantasy tropes just for the sake of it is not. Warcraft has survived as a franchise and popular entertainment world because it isn't afraid to be wacky as hell.

derFeef

Philthy said:
Sorry, but a hiphop theme doesn't do anything for me. I hate it with a passion. I don't care how cool it gets later, it isn't worth putting up with short term.
Hiphop? It´s folk music for me and I laughed when I heard that. :lol

Dunlop

The Lamonster said:
Well, I fucking love Vashj'r. It's so beautiful and interesting.

agreed, but it is aggrevating as shit when you are in a group to figure out where your damn party members are if you split up. The map needs to have a way to tell if you are above or below.

I finished the zone and got the achieve, but I am 14 quests short for the quest achievement (146 out 160)? I cannot find anything else

Flib

Philthy said:

Hiphop theme? The Goblin starting area is about scavenging for survival on a tropical island :lol :lol

The whole point is that they lead this ridiculous and obnoxious life on Kezan, which get destroyed 30 min in :lol

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
If I do a 10 man ICC run will that open up Halls of Reflection on the random dungeon list? It's still locked for me. Also, where the hell are the Cata dungeons? I hate the fact that I have to go and find the damn things before I can enter queue :lol

Dunlop said:
agreed, but it is aggrevating as shit when you are in a group to figure out where your damn party members are if you split up. The map needs to have a way to tell if you are above or below.

I finished the zone and got the achieve, but I am 14 quests short for the quest achievement (146 out 160)? I cannot find anything else

Maybe this is why I hated Vashj'ir so much. My friends and I left it for Hyjal because the logistics of staying together were just too retardedly difficult. Hyjal I just find amazing, especially the ride into Hyjal.

I hit 81 with my Mage last night and I rolled a Worgen. People say it's boring? I dunno. It's the most atmospheric and involving start I've played in the game thus far, and it's got a lot of pretty good character development. I haven't rolled a Goblin, but I did watch a video summary of their starting area. Seems fun, just much less my cup of tea.

It still kills me that my original CE was stolen. It didn't even have the pets in it as I bought it off my friend years back.

Anyways, done a little research and I'm sure it's been brought up many times and most of you all are sick of it but...... I got a scroll of resurrection question. My friend's coming back in town tonight and wants to try out the new stuff (80-85) without paying close to $60 for another month and an expansion pack as he won't be playing past December. Can I send him a scroll if he has been offline for over 90 days but has Lich King tied to his account? I know the OP says can't have Lich King but it just seems off.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
VGChampion said:
It still kills me that my original CE was stolen. It didn't even have the pets in it as I bought it off my friend years back.

Anyways, done a little research and I'm sure it's been brought up many times and most of you all are sick of it but...... I got a scroll of resurrection question. My friend's coming back in town tonight and wants to try out the new stuff (80-85) without paying close to $60 for another month and an expansion pack as he won't be playing past December. Can I send him a scroll if he has been offline for over 90 days but has Lich King tied to his account? I know the OP says can't have Lich King but it just seems off.
i just got a Scroll of Resurrection and i have WotLK.

VGChampion said:

So he's going to spend $40 just to play the game for less than a month?

Dunlop

The Lamonster said:
So the SW boat now goes to Vasj'r instead of Borean Tundra.

How do I get to Northrend now??

my buddy mentioned it only did that at the beginning (when you have a quest to meet the dude at the dock) afterwards you will get to Vasj'r by portal and the boat will go back to BT

Flib

VGChampion said:

You can't try the 80-85 stuff without owning Cataclysm.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
That's racist.

Goblins are fucking awesome. Following generic fantasy tropes just for the sake of it is not. Warcraft has survived as a franchise and popular entertainment world because it isn't afraid to be wacky as hell.

Lol seriously I almost lost my shit when I saw the Don't Tase Me Bro reference.

Infinity

Went through a good chunk of the Worgen starting area last night - a bit like Sweeny Todd in the WoW universe.

Love the environment.

Blizzard did a good job anticipating the number of new Worgen too. Every quest that required you to kill or gather something re-popped those items or mobs every few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom