• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

qwerty2k said:
where is the best place to find out what an item is worth? im still fairly low level (27) but have no idea how much i should be selling stuff for if there isn't another auction of the same item to use as a guide.

Using something like Auctioneer can help with figuring the price of things. Of course, things can change a huge amount depending on how busy your server is but it can help to keep track of an items worth.

qwerty2k said:
where is the best place to find out what an item is worth? im still fairly low level (27) but have no idea how much i should be selling stuff for if there isn't another auction of the same item to use as a guide.
At that level you shouldn't be worrying about selling what you get in the AH unless you get incredibly lucky.

qwerty2k

cuevas said:
At that level you shouldn't be worrying about selling what you get in the AH unless you get incredibly lucky.

Managed to make about 100 gold so far from selling bits and pieces off, which may be nothing in the grand scheme of things but has allowed me to keep my equipment ahead of the curve.

Love running heroics with guild as we finish them in about 1/3 the time most pugs would with virtually no deaths (and less repair bill). Wish it wasn't JP we were making and was VP (or at least some trinkets being made available as I'm long since out of crap to buy with JP).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rez said:
So I've put like six or seven hours into an Undead Mage. Mainly solo play.

I really, really enjoy playing this, love discovering new areas, but man, I'd hate to actually work on this. The whole thing feels so weirdly immoral. :lol

I enjoy it but the state I'm in after two hours or more passing in the blink of an eye is totally disgusting and unhealthy, yet I'll probably come back for more. Dearie me.

You should have joined ausgaf on caelstrasz. All 4 of us!! :lol

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
cuevas said:
Completely disagree. One of the best ways to make money on your first took is to take two gathering profession and sell everything you get on the AH. There are a lot of lazy people who don't want to farm for mats and just buy low level stuff off the AH.

mcrae

Zerokku said:
Completely disagree. One of the best ways to make money on your first took is to take two gathering profession and sell everything you get on the AH. There are a lot of lazy people who don't want to farm for mats and just buy low level stuff off the AH.
i agree

cuevas said:

People at 85 have better things to do than farm herbs and cloth from low-level zones and gold inflation means they're willing to pay what is (to a level 27) insane amount of gold for them. A little extra work gathering mats as you level and you can easily be decked out in large bags, blue and purple auction house gear, etc. for most of your tenure at lower levels.

On my level 45 character I have over $1500 gold. I've made that exclusively from selling what I gather in the auction house. I don't know if that is considered a lot for my level but I have more then enough to buy whatever want.

Another nod to Zelda? :D

PtyRo.jpg

charlequin said:
People at 85 have better things to do than farm herbs and cloth from low-level zones and gold inflation means they're willing to pay what is (to a level 27) insane amount of gold for them. A little extra work gathering mats as you level and you can easily be decked out in large bags, blue and purple auction house gear, etc. for most of your tenure at lower levels.
On my lock (my first char) I had mining and herbalism and just picked up what I could along the way. I just raced my way to 60 so I could get my mount and farm faster.

Leveling to 85 I got like 10 stacks of herbs, I can get that in an hour now. I think concentrating on gathering while not eveling is a way better use of time.

I haven't leveled a new character in a while but it seems like they have made it way easier to get your mount so gold shouldnt be something to worry about.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Narag said:
I know the heart container is a rpg staple as well.
looks more like the Heart of Eternity to me

Heart%20of%20Eternity.jpg

Also the same as the Heart of Magic from Malygos.

Blizzard doesn't hide their homages, that is reaching.

Zeliard

I've got a level 30 balance druid with leatherworking & skinning as primary and cooking as secondary. Those solid profs or should I be looking elsewhere for that sort of class? I've pretty much just been using it to make money - the stuff I actually create with leatherworking/skinning is far worse than the stuff I wear. I mainly solo so I figured cooking would come in handy, but it hasn't really at this level since you find food everywhere (and I also haven't found myself even using food that often - mana/health tends to recharge quickly enough in most cases).

cuevas said:
Leveling to 85 I got like 10 stacks of herbs

What? :lol

I'm leveling a character right now, just dinged 58. I've sold ten stacks of herbs in the last day. You can run around questing in some of the lower-traffic, higher-spawn zones like Swamp of Sorrows for like an hour and get six or seven full stacks. I'd be bringing in even more if I was double-gathering in mining or skinning at the same time. Plus you're going to have to go back to all these zones anyway to actually level gathering in the first place.

Zeliard said:
I've got a level 30 balance druid with leatherworking & skinning as primary and cooking as secondary. Those solid profs or should I be looking elsewhere for that sort of class? I've pretty much just been using it to make money - the stuff I actually create with leatherworking/skinning is far worse than the stuff I wear. I mainly solo so I figured cooking would come in handy, but it hasn't really at this level since you find food everywhere (and I also haven't found myself even using food that often - mana/health tends to recharge quickly enough in most cases).

If you want to maximize money intake while leveling, double-gathering is the way to go, since you can sell all the mats (materials) you gather along the way for phat cash. The crafting professions are more lucrative later on, at or near the level cap. Really, though, any synergistic combination (herbalism with alchemy or inscription, skinning with leatherworking, mining with jewelcrafting or blacksmithing) will do you pretty well, and you can always change out for different professions later.

You can train in all the secondary professions, they're not exclusive. :lol None of them are super important but there are benefits to be had from each of them, and it's easier to level cooking and fishing in tandem.

cuevas said:
On my lock (my first char) I had mining and herbalism and just picked up what I could along the way. I just raced my way to 60 so I could get my mount and farm faster.

Leveling to 85 I got like 10 stacks of herbs, I can get that in an hour now. I think concentrating on gathering while not eveling is a way better use of time.

I haven't leveled a new character in a while but it seems like they have made it way easier to get your mount so gold shouldnt be something to worry about.

Not everyone is playing race to the finish when leveling to 85. Earning yourself some money whilst leveling can make the experience a whole lot more enjoyable. Particularly if you plan on taking your time.

Like me for example. When i raise my alts i like to deck myself out and get great gear and do some BG's in each group. It's a lot of fun.

I understand that the most efficient way to get the money for this would be to farm on my level 85. Only problem is thats boring. I would much rather just look for a few extra mats on my alt and earn some extra gold that way. The less farming i do the better.

Also i don't think anyone is saying you should go out of your way to farm mats. I think most are just saying that it is worthwhile selling the stuff you do find on the AH and not jsut vendoring it.

Even with just a minimal effort you can make a lot of money leveling up.

Edit:
charlequin said:

I'm leveling a character right now, just dinged 58. I've sold ten stacks of herbs in the last day. You can run around questing in some of the lower-traffic, higher-spawn zones like Swamp of Sorrows for like an hour and get six or seven full stacks. I'd be bringing in even more if I was double-gathering in mining or skinning at the same time. Plus you're going to have to go back to all these zones anyway to actually level gathering in the first place.

Also this. When i level my alts i am constantly running into really expensive herbs. On my server even peacebloom and silverleaf got upto 10 gold a stack and that shit was everywhere:lol

Zeliard

charlequin said:
If you want to maximize money intake while leveling, double-gathering is the way to go, since you can sell all the mats (materials) you gather along the way for phat cash. The crafting professions are more lucrative later on, at or near the level cap. Really, though, any synergistic combination (herbalism with alchemy or inscription, skinning with leatherworking, mining with jewelcrafting or blacksmithing) will do you pretty well, and you can always change out for different professions later.

You can train in all the secondary professions, they're not exclusive. :lol None of them are super important but there are benefits to be had from each of them, and it's easier to level cooking and fishing in tandem.

Well, that's embarrassing. :p Just realized you can have more than one secondary profession at once (though I could swear I tried to add another one once and it was grayed out, and I don't think it was primary). Think I'll go for fishing, that sounds like a solid complement to cooking.

Druid is a really fun class. So much variety and versatility when you include the spells and the forms. It'd be hard to imagine another class that's nicer for solo'ing, not only from a practicality standpoint (Druid can tank/DPS/heal), but also in terms of entertainment. Makes grinding not feel quite as grindy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
got to level 20, finished the Silverpine Forest Undead saga, at least for now (I got to level 18 as a Mage and then started again and got to Level 20 as a Priest in two days).

I don't know if I should upgrade from the trial version for now. As of right now I think it's best if I put it down for a while and wait until I actually get into a good routine. There's room in my life for study, work, social life and video games, but WoW might end up taking up all my video game time, and as much as I want to explore as many different areas as possible in this big awesome world, I don't think playing one game constantly would work for me. I want to play a bit of everything.

We'll see... Maybe I can fit it in again once uni starts up again, but as of right now, I can't deal with this on holidays because there's no good reason for me to ever stop. :lol

Twig

Banned
EscapingJail said:
You missed the percentage sign.
Um, okay?

I've always been told it only adds another 10% of your BASELINE speed, not your total speed. So. It would be 320% not 350%.

Zeliard said:
(though I could swear I tried to add another one once and it was grayed out, and I don't think it was primary).

Archaeology is only available in Cataclysm, so if you don't have that on your account it won't let you train in it. (And the trainer just comes up empty instead of giving you a helpful error message.)

charlequin said:

AdventureRacing said:
Not everyone is playing race to the finish when leveling to 85. Earning yourself some money whilst leveling can make the experience a whole lot more enjoyable. Particularly if you plan on taking your time.

I was 525 at 85 but that's all I wanted, I just fly from quest to quest to level as fast as I can so I can get into arena and get ready for raiding. End game is what I play wow for.

mcrae

so after finding Grips of the Failed Immortal, http://www.wowhead.com/item=67132 earlier today,
i got into a raid group tonight to kill the rare world raid boss julak doom, and with a 99 won the caster 1h http://www.wowhead.com/item=67246 , also a BOE

again im not sure if i want to sell or not lol. finally dinged 85 too. today was quite the success! i think im going to sell the weapon and equip the hands, since its easier to replace the weapon than the hands, i think.

cuevas said:
I was 525 at 85

525 skill points in Herbalism, assuming 2 herbs on average per spawn and two herb gathers per skill up on average, is a minimum of 105 stacks of 20 herbs each during the leveling process.

charlequin said:
525 skill points in Herbalism, assuming 2 herbs on average per spawn and two herb gathers per skill up on average, is a minimum of 105 stacks of 20 herbs each during the leveling process.
I was 80 and went tauren.

Well I've been playing the trial of Cata for a week now. Blizzard did so much to the old world with this expansion, I've actually been enjoying rolling a new toon. I just came across a guy in Southern Barrens who I did quests for in Vanilla and now he has been shot and is bleeding out as of now in Cata, it made me stop for a second and be a bit sad for him.

And that is why I think this is the best expansion of WoW so far. Blizzard did the unthinkable in MMO business and changed the old world drastically, actually making a progressive world instead of slapping on a new continent or realm and keeping everything else stagnant. Its a shame new players won't get to experience Azeroth before Deathwing shattered it. But at the same time, it can draw old subscribers back in with an almost entirely new experience and its even more accessible to new players with the streamlining of the game. Once I get out of the hospital next week I'll be subscribing again.

I hope Blizz has plans to refresh the Outland experience as well. Don't "shatter" it, but streamline it.

CF_Fighter said:
I hope Blizz has plans to refresh the Outland experience as well. Don't "shatter" it, but streamline it.

There have been several blue posts/panel comments by Blizzard employees saying that they want to go over both Outland and Northrend and "fix them up," both from a lore sense (right now they're kind of "in the past") and a questing/content sense, but I can't honestly imagine how they could possibly deliver on that intention.

Meier

I'm afraid I'm a bit bored at this point. Might end up putting my account on hold for a bit until there is some raiding opportunities.

Read a bit of Justin's tumblr. That Bean Counter add-on looks awesome!

Coen

I decided to dive back in over the Christmas break. I used to played vanilla WoW religiously, exploring every 40 man raid up until C'Thun. Along came the original Naxxramas and its insane demands to enter and I lost interest. After Burning Crusade released, I tried it for a while but it didn't really suck me back in. Got Wrath of the Lich King for Christmas, ordered Cataclysm and I'm ready for my second try. Have been playing a Worgen Mage for 10 levels now and everything feels a lot more dynamic and story driven.

I do have some technical issues though. There's these washed out stripes and tiles just popping in and out of the image. I've googled the issue and most seem to suggest it's a faulty videocard. But I'm fairly sure this isn't the problem, my videocard is barely a year old and all other games (believe me, I've tried a lot with the recent Steam sales) work beautifully. Anyone have a suggestion what it could be?

Tarin02543

I just bought WoW with a 60 day card and it stopped working right as I reached level 18. The game hangs at the loading screen.

Somebody knows a solution? Perhaps my computer loves me too much and is trying to protect me from the evils of WoW.

Dunlop

Twig said:
310 + 10 + ???

e: oh wait do those old trinkets still work?

I'm just going by the indicator on my hud from carbonite which puts it at 349-351. It had all the previous speeds bang on.

Elixist

Rez said:
got to level 20, finished the Silverpine Forest Undead saga, at least for now (I got to level 18 as a Mage and then started again and got to Level 20 as a Priest in two days).

I don't know if I should upgrade from the trial version for now. As of right now I think it's best if I put it down for a while and wait until I actually get into a good routine. There's room in my life for study, work, social life and video games, but WoW might end up taking up all my video game time, and as much as I want to explore as many different areas as possible in this big awesome world, I don't think playing one game constantly would work for me. I want to play a bit of everything.

We'll see... Maybe I can fit it in again once uni starts up again, but as of right now, I can't deal with this on holidays because there's no good reason for me to ever stop. :lol

Good for you dude. I enjoy reading these first timer impressions of the shattering, cause as I've played thru some of the redone content I couldnt help but think what impression the game would have on me if this was my first time thru.( I lvld thru the boring as did tons of others) but reallizing how addicting the game can be and putting it down is a good thing too, as I know it pulled me in for a good 6 months before i could put it down:lol

Yaweee

charlequin said:
There have been several blue posts/panel comments by Blizzard employees saying that they want to go over both Outland and Northrend and "fix them up," both from a lore sense (right now they're kind of "in the past") and a questing/content sense, but I can't honestly imagine how they could possibly deliver on that intention.

In the questing/content sense, all they have to really do is...

1) Lower the amount of exp per level and/or give more exp per quest. As it is now, going from 59 to 60 is a drastic increase in time/level.
2) Increase drop rates/ lower number of kills or items necessary to complete quests. Many of the quests are simply way too time consuming compared to the new starter areas, revised Old World, Wrath, and Cataclysm norms.
3) Shove the quest givers for the instances inside the instances, so LFD works better for leveling.

How long would all of that that take? Presumably not all that long, compared to designing new zones or adding outright new quests.

The lore is hopelessly borked. I don't think they should waste their time fixing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom