• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't like how fire seems to depend on dots. I hate watching multiple dots. And i dont like Arcane's mastery. Doing better damage the closer you are to max mana just dont seem fun to me, i dont want to use mana gems or potions unless im low on mana.

So only frost was left for me. Thank god Blizzard did a good job on buffing them. Didnt have to use potions so far, and only a few gems & evocations in combat too. :D Might be another story in heroics, so we'll see.

So I just noticed I got the "killed by Deathwing" achievement. It must've been while I was afk. I missed it...

Should I be happy or sad, GAF?

Raide

The Lamonster said:
So I just noticed I got the "killed by Deathwing" achievement. It must've been while I was afk. I missed it...

Sad. The sky goes red, he does a fly-by and nukes everything from orbit. You and everyone else die in a flaming hole.

Zeliard

Starting up the WoW trial a few days ago has led me down a very dark path. Not only have I probably put too many hours into that game already, but it's got me on a sort of MMO kick - since yesterday I've been playing LOTRO like crazy.

So now I'm basically hooked on two MMOs simultaneously. Yeah, I'm fucked.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Bisnic said:
I don't like how fire seems to depend on dots. I hate watching multiple dots. And i dont like Arcane's mastery. Doing better damage the closer you are to max mana just dont seem fun to me, i dont want to use mana gems or potions unless im low on mana.

So only frost was left for me. Thank god Blizzard did a good job on buffing them. Didnt have to use potions so far, and only a few gems & evocations in combat too. :D Might be another story in heroics, so we'll see.
yeah..... fire completely depends on dots. If you have the ultimate fire DPS build you have pyromaniac to give you a 5% haste boost as well, but need 3 targets to be taking fire dot simultaneously. I use combustion helper as an easier way to track LB (as opposed to trying to find it on a mob with 20 debuffs) and know when LB expires on my targeted mob to then tab-cycle through all of the mobs again to apply LB to everyone.

but yeah, part of fire's crazy high DPS is totally dependent on the ability to get off impact combustion.

Living Bomb
Ignite
Pyroblast

Then combustion to combine them into one dot. Then Impact to spread it to everyone in 12 yards. Doing this I've done 13K in 5-man.. pretty much beats any direct AOE that I know of... but depends on everything happening at the right time (really just making sure you get the pyroblast proc and impact close enough to each other and that combustion is off of CD). The nice thing about impact combustion is it isn't capped like normal AOE is. Normal AOE IIRC limits the total amount of damage you can do across all mobs in the area and scales down the more mobs in the area. impact combustion is the exact same damage across all mobs no matter if it's 2 or 20.. and the combustion spread through impact can crit on its own also counting towards new pyroblast and ignite procs.

Bisnic

Fire seems a bit overcomplicated reading your post. :lol

When as Frost, i can just spam Frostbolt, and use Ice Lance & Frostfire bolt when i get their procs and use Frostfire Orb/Deep Freeze/Pet's Frost Nova for 2 free Fingers of Frost when they are not in cooldown for basically the same result.

I barely AOE in actual AOE trash anyway. Much better to focus target what the tank is targetting. Single target is just much stronger and more fun than spamming Blizzard(which is ridiculously mana expensive on top of that). And the faster something dies in these harder 5 mans, the better.

Did our first progression raid last night. 10 man in Blackrock Descent. Dear lord these bosses are pretty nasty despite the simple mechanics behind them. Definitely alot more difficult that ICC was at release (and arguably Ulduar, too).

KibblesBits said:
OMG, I just witnessed a guildie, who got me in a lvl 5 guild ninja a mount that dropped off Kael. Wat.

To be fair it's a badass mount, second only to Mimiron's Head, and I don't blame him. Though I'd be angry if I were there too.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Just started the trial and I am impressed. Blizzard has really streamlined the starter areas (I'm playing as an orc, but I've played as an orc in the orc starter area pre-Cat. before). The items they give you have way more synergy now (you basically get a much better outfit than your starter outfit).

Not many changes, story wise, have been done to the Valley of Trials. That's not really a bad thing because the story worked (and there are some unique changes - like the mottled boars in pens and the human invaders).

Overall, I didn't expect Cataclysm to reinvigorate WoW like it did, but so far Blizzard has been successful in my eyes. That could change, but from what I've heard it isn't likely.

Zeliard

Shrinnan said:
Just started the trial and I am impressed. Blizzard has really streamlined the starter areas (I'm playing as an orc, but I've played as an orc in the orc starter area pre-Cat. before). The items they give you have way more synergy now (you basically get a much better outfit than your starter outfit).

Not many changes, story wise, have been done to the Valley of Trials. That's not really a bad thing because the story worked (and there are some unique changes - like the mottled boars in pens and the human invaders).

Overall, I didn't expect Cataclysm to reinvigorate WoW like it did, but so far Blizzard has been successful in my eyes. That could change, but from what I've heard it isn't likely.

That's the one thing I regret about not jumping into WoW until now - I have no basis for comparison when it comes to pre- and post-Cataclysm. So when people talk about Thousand Needles now being flooded or whatever, it's meaningless to me.

Zeliard said:
That's the one thing I regret about not jumping into WoW until now - I have no basis for comparison when it comes to pre- and post-Cataclysm. So when people talk about Thousand Needles now being flooded or whatever, it's meaningless to me.
You should really look up some videos of the old zones. It's quite jarring for people, like me, that have been playing since the game came out.

Einbroch

Banned
AceBandage said:
You should really look up some videos of the old zones. It's quite jarring for people, like me, that have been playing since the game came out.
I'm only level 14 and I've already been blown away by western Durotar. It's SO DAMN DIFFERENT.

Zeliard said:

The two Plaguelands I know threw me for a loop entering them after years of depressing undead hellholes, but yeah, if you hadn't been there you'd have to piece it together from the sensation it changed from something, you just don't know what exactly. Orgrimmar was even more so.

etiolate

Banned
borghe said:
I am going to just happily agree to disagree with you etiolate on all but one point. I don't know if you are or have played a CC class, and are or have played an AOE class, but having played the primary class of both of these mechanics (and all three specs considerably as a mage.. starting off as Frost, then moving to Arcane in LK once my gear permitted, and now doing Fire for AOE), I have to disagree STRONGLY with your assertion that AOE is more interesting to play than CC. AOE is literally spamming a key (or few keys). literally. you stand there, spam your keys, keep standing there, keep spamming your keys. There is very little mobility because most of your old AOEs as a mage required channeling.

With CC I am actually having fun in fights. sheep the one mob, frostbolt/nova kite another mob on adds/pats, keep DPS up and pass living bomb around, get a wonderful impact combustion off when available. etc. significantly more fun than just spamming AOEs while the tank holds aggro.

Bolded: I would like to restate again that is not what I have said. I said aoe was less tedious and from that point a step forward in design. The kiting you refer to is not the common CC they have implemented. That kiting even existed in WOTLK with the Naxx raid, and I did that on my Shaman(Grubulus was it?). It wasn't particularly fun then either, but it was more active. Maybe read iamblades post because he seems to get it.

borghe said:
yeah..... fire completely depends on dots. If you have the ultimate fire DPS build you have pyromaniac to give you a 5% haste boost as well, but need 3 targets to be taking fire dot simultaneously. I use combustion helper as an easier way to track LB (as opposed to trying to find it on a mob with 20 debuffs) and know when LB expires on my targeted mob to then tab-cycle through all of the mobs again to apply LB to everyone.

but yeah, part of fire's crazy high DPS is totally dependent on the ability to get off impact combustion.

Living Bomb
Ignite
Pyroblast

Then combustion to combine them into one dot. Then Impact to spread it to everyone in 12 yards. Doing this I've done 13K in 5-man.. pretty much beats any direct AOE that I know of... but depends on everything happening at the right time (really just making sure you get the pyroblast proc and impact close enough to each other and that combustion is off of CD). The nice thing about impact combustion is it isn't capped like normal AOE is. Normal AOE IIRC limits the total amount of damage you can do across all mobs in the area and scales down the more mobs in the area. impact combustion is the exact same damage across all mobs no matter if it's 2 or 20.. and the combustion spread through impact can crit on its own also counting towards new pyroblast and ignite procs.

I really hate the direction Blizzard went with Fire, like who at Blizzard was like "let's totally make their DPS dependent on luck!" There have been times where I've gotten amazing combustions but I never got an impact proc and was like w..t..f?! (And I was spamming flamestrike) It's not fun having to watch for so many dots, I feel like a gimped warlock. I don't like Arcane nor do I like frost. Sigh.

traveler

Not Wario
Taking this expansion much slower than I did the last two and focusing on the revamped world rather than the endgame. (At least for now- I figure I'll have plenty of time to see the current raid content before it goes obsolete given Blizzard's standard patch times) To that end, I've rolled a new Goblin mage and Worgen warrior. What the best specs for leveling those classes given that I am (1) not on a pvp server and (2) planning on questing rather than aoe grinding or instance running to cap? Just at a glance, arcane seems to offer much in the way of mana uptime and mobility and arms seems to provide a decent focus on the self healing abilities of warriors while still being offensively focused.

I appreciate what blizzard tried doing with the quests by adding things to try and break the grind but I don't think they succeeded. Most of the quests that try to be cute like the flying one, the one where you control the lions, or where you kill gnomes as the flaming ball lose their appeal pretty fast. Its pretty clear the wow engine wasn't built to support things like that.

I come to this game for the combat, don't take me away from that.

Twig

Banned
cuevas said:
I appreciate what blizzard tried doing with the quests by adding things to try and break the grind but I don't think they succeeded. Most of the quests that try to be cute like the flying one, the one where you control the lions, or where you kill gnomes as the flaming ball lose their appeal pretty fast. Its pretty clear the wow engine wasn't built to support things like that.

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

The gnome flaming ball thing would have been much better if I didn't have to go back and forth like twenty times, but, yes! There are way too many quests these days where you're doing some random shit that just doesn't work with the supplied engine.

Weenerz

Banned
The Lamonster said:

I've seen him nuke 4 times in leveling 1-85.

The Lamonster said:
Yeah, sounds awesome and it sucks I missed it.

Oh, NPCs have a high chance to not be hit at all. I was in Plagues near some Argents when it happened and they were fine. Everything else was dead. Either those Argents are badass twinks or Deathwing ignores NPCs but murderlates everything else.

Speaking of twink, good lord the bg gear breaks the normal game at 70.

Epix

What kind of DPS are Ret Paladins doing in 5mans and raids now. Back before I quit during Wrath I was one of the higher DPS players on the server.

Dunlop

cuevas said:

That was the last quests I needed to get more Cataclysm loremaster achievement, it was late at night so wanted to sleep

ONE THOUSAND GNOMES!?!?!?!

I think the point could have been made with 100...

(did it anyways)

Bisnic

Dunlop said:
That was the last quests I needed to get more Cataclysm loremaster achievement, it was late at night so wanted to sleep

ONE THOUSAND GNOMES!?!?!?!

I think the point could have been made with 100...

(did it anyways)

Come on, even with 1000 gnomes to kill, the quest only takes a few minutes to do.

If it was 100 gnomes, it would have been over way too fast.

cuevas said:

I'm going through wrath for the first time and just recently got into zul'drak. It's filled with quests like that, i fucking hate them.

Dunlop

Bisnic said:
Come on, even with 1000 gnomes to kill, the quest only takes a few minutes to do.

If it was 100 gnomes, it would have been over way too fast.

was an exagerated complaint, but 80% of the time on this quest is waiting for a new squad of mobs to respawn.

While I also appreciate that theya re trying to "mix it up" I absolutely hate anything that has to do with a vehicle in this game. You cannot fail them and there is no challange outside of awkward controls

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zeliard said:

This is partly why I like being a lapsed player. I played vanilla hardcore but quit before BC. Coming back for Cat has been AWESOME

It's like my character was in a coma for 5 years, and just came out of it.

That said, I'm rolling a Worgen DK because I don't want to pay $20 to move my 60 pally over to my friend's server

Flambe

Dang.. Gnomebliteration was my favourite quest ever =\ Their screams as you plow through them and the katamari-esque buildup on your fusion core.. It was just.. beautiful.

One thousand? Pah! Give me a million gnome version!

etiolate

Banned
cuevas said:

More kill ten rats quests? What is wrong with you.

If anything, the game needs way more of those alternate quests. The majority of quests in the game are crap. Gnome ball of death is a rare exception.

Twig

Banned
etiolate said:
Gnome ball of death is a rare exception.
Except you spend the entire time going back and forth in a semi-straight line along the docks.

That is literally all you do.

And if someone else is doing it with you, you have to wait for the shitty gnomes to respawn and it takes upwards of fifteen minutes.

Fifteen minutes.

Fifteen minutes of rolling back and forth and doing NOTHING else.

That is not fun. FACT.

etiolate said:
More kill ten rats quests? What is wrong with you.

If anything, the game needs way more of those alternate quests. The majority of quests in the game are crap. Gnome ball of death is a rare exception.
Yeah I would rather kill 10 rats because it works every time perfectly.

Grisby

Got a question guys. I installed Cataclysm last night and hopped on wow for the firs time since a small stint when Lich King came out. I updated and did everything and got into the game for a bit.

Today I got to launch it and a screen pops up saying, "Blizzard Launcher cannot read the Blizzard game program. Run repair."

So I go into wow repair and it tells me this, "Repair is unable to fix your folder permissions, please change your install path to allow write privileges and try again."

So how do I change my install path to allow write privileges? Sorry, not a big computer guy. Thanks!

DarkJC

Do you have WoW installed somewhere inside the Program Files folder, and are you using Vista/Win 7? If so, you either need to move the World of Warcraft directory into a folder outside the Program Files folder, or try running the game/repair in Administrator mode.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Grisby said:
Got a question guys. I installed Cataclysm last night and hopped on wow for the firs time since a small stint when Lich King came out. I updated and did everything and got into the game for a bit.

Today I got to launch it and a screen pops up saying, "Blizzard Launcher cannot read the Blizzard game program. Run repair."

So I go into wow repair and it tells me this, "Repair is unable to fix your folder permissions, please change your install path to allow write privileges and try again."

So how do I change my install path to allow write privileges? Sorry, not a big computer guy. Thanks!
Right click the WoW Repair program and try run as administrator maybe.

Grisby

I'm on XP, its an older computer. I do think its in the programs folder so I guess I need to move it out. I can just do the copy and paste thing to outside the folder right?

update- its not in the program folder, its just outside on the regular hd, also how do I do something as an administrator?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I've put like six or seven hours into an Undead Mage. Mainly solo play.

I really, really enjoy playing this, love discovering new areas, but man, I'd hate to actually work on this. The whole thing feels so weirdly immoral. :lol

I enjoy it but the state I'm in after two hours or more passing in the blink of an eye is totally disgusting and unhealthy, yet I'll probably come back for more. Dearie me.

Zeliard

Rez said:

I really, really enjoy playing this, love discovering new areas, but man, I'd hate to actually work on this. The whole thing feels so weirdly immoral. :lol

I enjoy it but the state I'm in after two hours or more passing in the blink of an eye is totally disgusting and unhealthy, yet I'll probably come back for more. Dearie me.

WoW is like candy. Delicious, manipulative, and if you have too much of it in one sitting you feel like throwing up.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Rez said:

I personally think WoW is best played in 2-3 hour sessions anyway. The only time i really go crazy on the game is when a new expansion is released.:lol

Also good call on making a undead as your first character. As i hear the undead zone progression is some of the best in the game right now.

Dresden

Rez said:

Limit yourself to three hour sessions! Also find a fun guild.

So, uh I think I screwed myself. I recently rolled a Goblin Hunter and am doing the
Three Little Pygmies quest on Lost Isles. But I turned in the quest immediately preceding it as soon as I toasted enough zombies for it. Am I screwed? Walking anywhere gets me killed pretty fast from them. Is there a way to get the shoes back?

mcrae

so i got http://www.wowhead.com/item=67132 Grips of the Failed Immortal off a world drop today. Wowhead says they are worth 10k, there are two in the AH for 15.5 and 16.9k, and ive got a standing offer from a guildie for 10k (except my guild is just a random zerg levelling guild so no real allegiance there, sad to say)

im a warlock and trying to decide whether i sell these, or just put them on. im only 84 so ive got some time to decide, im wondering if anyone has any opinion?

also, ive got about 8.5k gold, and nothing on my wishlist so dont really NEEEED the gold

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I personally would sell them to the guildie for the 10K. The auction house is going to take a 5% cut of any sale, so even if you list and sell them for 13K or something, that is still 650g taken out from auction fee.

Plus, since you already have a pretty big pile of gold, there is no real reason to try and squeeze ~2500g more out of an auction. If you were broke and needed the money for epic flight or something then yeah, totally auction them.

qwerty2k

where is the best place to find out what an item is worth? im still fairly low level (27) but have no idea how much i should be selling stuff for if there isn't another auction of the same item to use as a guide.

Hixx

qwerty2k said:
where is the best place to find out what an item is worth? im still fairly low level (27) but have no idea how much i should be selling stuff for if there isn't another auction of the same item to use as a guide.

wowhead will usually have an average buyout price listed on the items page.

But prices can variate wildly from server to server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom