• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dina

Scrow said:
yeah, i dunno. aren't there a lot of debuff overlaps between classes that don't stack? is Feral Aggression worth it for the improved faerie fire if there are other armor reduction debuffs that don't stack with FF and are more effective?

same for the attack speed reduction from Infected Wounds. are there debuffs from other classes that overlap that functionality but don't stack?

Imp FF is very useful for those rage starved moments, since it's kinda good threat. I usually get all 3 stacks of FF on a mob I'm charging. Or if two mobs are spread, charge one and pull the other with FF.

Thing with KotJ, it only gives you damage. Which amounts to some threat, but I'd rather have a very hefty CD reduction on my second charge. Very useful for picking up stragglers or save dpsing retards. Primal Madness then, yes that gives you rage, but it's only 12 rage for what amounts to 5 talent points (pre-req and all).

Afaik, the infected wounds debuff is applied by all tanks, I know thunderclap is the warrior one. They're also the talents that go together with the mage's Torment the Weak ability. They're supposed to be interchangeble, but I dunno if they overlap. While leveling, however, chances are you're the only one keeping the debuff up. Which also makes a healers job easier.

Flib

Do not spec into KotJ or Primal Madness. It doesn't matter as much while you're leveling, but once you get to the Cataclysm dungeons, starting a pull with the enrage debuff off will kill you. There are other better talents to spec in to.

ACE 1991 said:
(probably) stupid tech question: So when viewing my system's detailed specs I saw this:

Total available graphics memory 1791mb
Dedicated graphics memory 512mb
Shared system memory 1279mb

Now is there anyway to allocate the shared system memory into graphics to improve performance, or will this screw with other things? I assume this would be changed in the BIOS, but I'm not sure if I'm talking nonsense here or if this is something I should just leave alone :lol

You're better off leaving that alone.

I need to make some gold, what do you guys suggest? I have a level 80 marks hunter with 450 mining and 450 skinning.

Here's my ideas:

Farming titanium ore in Sholozar Basin to make Titansteel Bars
Running WOTLK Heroics to sell the loot on the AH
Questing in Icecrown and Storm Peaks for quest reward money

Suggestions?

The Lamonster said:
I need to make some gold, what do you guys suggest? I have a level 80 marks hunter with 450 mining and 450 skinning.

Here's my ideas:

Running WOTLK Heroics to sell the loot
Questing in Icecrown and Storm Peaks

Suggestions?

You can make some serious money questing in icecrown and storm peaks.

KJTB

Spire said:
CC is fun when it's required. When you have to CC to survive the group, with the threat of someone breaking CC hanging over everything, with making sure your group handles the mobs in the correct order and in the correct way, that's fun. The organization and the execution of a plan is satisfying, as is surviving by the skin of your teeth when the plan goes awry. I pray to god that Blizzard's plan to reintroduce CC works, it's inclusion in mechanics instantly makes people think about the pulls and work together. Some people will have trouble adjusting to it and some will never get it, lord knows there were a ton of people in Vanilla and BC who never figured it out, but when you get together with a group of people who know what they're doing and do it well, it's a ton of fun.

I might have some serious nostalgia about Vanilla WoW, but I totally agree. When I was farming heroics on my lvl 80 I was shocked at how much of a joke they were. I was pulling entire rooms on my undergeared DK tank without a sweat.

It's going to be an unpleasant surprise for some newer Wrath generation players when they see that zerging the instance simply won't work anymore.

I need a good guild for Cata. No more fucking around. How do I find one? I've always just said "looking for guild" on Trade chat, but always end up in low-member guilds that don't really raid or put much effort into it.

Is there a website I should check out or is it basically the luck of the draw in asking Trade chat? And I know there's different types of guilds, I think I want a "raiding" PVE guild but also want to have access to a meaty guild bank and friends that could help me quest. What is a "leveling" guild though?

Dina

Flib said:
Do not spec into KotJ or Primal Madness. It doesn't matter as much while you're leveling, but once you get to the Cataclysm dungeons, starting a pull with the enrage debuff off will kill you. There are other better talents to spec in to.

So when do you use Enrage? In conjunction with SI and Frenzyneration?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Lamonster said:
I need a good guild for Cata. No more fucking around. How do I find one? I've always just said "looking for guild" on Trade chat, but always end up in low-member guilds that don't really raid or put much effort into it.

Is there a website I should check out or is it basically the luck of the draw in asking Trade chat? And I know there's different types of guilds, I think I want a "raiding" PVE guild but also want to have access to a meaty guild bank and friends that could help me quest. What is a "leveling" guild though?

I found 2 good casual raiding guilds for my toons on both factions simply by looking at my realm forum on the official website. Maybe you should check there and see if a guild is looking for members or just make your own thread asking what kind of guild you are looking for.

Flib

The Lamonster said:

The official realm forums are a good place to start. Leveling guilds are just social guilds, mainly for hanging out and not for pve endgame. If you pug at all, you can sometimes get recruited that way, if you perform well.

Bisnic said:
I found 2 good casual raiding guilds for my toons on both factions simply by looking at my realm forum on the official website. Maybe you should check there and see if a guild is looking for members or just make your own thread asking what kind of guild you are looking for.
Okay sweet, I figured there was a forum out there somewhere but never really looked. Thanks!

mclem

The Lamonster said:

If you want a raiding guild, your best bet is probably to take a look at www.guildox.com, find your realm's progression rankings and pick out a few that are reasonably well-progressed; from there, try to hunt down their websites (I think some have links set up from Guildox; otherwise you can brave the official realm forums since many maintain a 'guild links' thread); the websites should, hopefully, give you a better idea of what they require in terms of commitment on your part. If you find one that fits the bill, go apply!

I'd suggest you'd probably want to go directly to a raid guild rather than a levelling one if you're currently 85; everyone's going to have to level. Having said that, it's worth finding out if the guild in question is a "GET TO CAP AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!" one or a "Take your time, enjoy the process, we'll start raids in a little while" one; both approaches have merit.

Flib

Dina said:
So when do you use Enrage? In conjunction with SI and Frenzyneration?

You pop enrage before a pull to get a bit of rage, but wait to pull until the 10sec debuff is off. You gain rage throughout that 10sec, so you'll have the max rage level possible with enrage when you pull, but won't have a damage debuff on you. It doesn't matter in non-cata dungeons much at this point, but there are certain pulls in some of the normal dungeons (grim batol comes to mind) where you will get rocked if you do this, especially with our nerfed bear form hp. Heroic 85's, it's even worse of an idea.

mclem said:
If you want a raiding guild, your best bet is probably to take a look at www.guildox.com, find your realm's progression rankings and pick out a few that are reasonably well-progressed; from there, try to hunt down their websites (I think some have links set up from Guildox; otherwise you can brave the official realm forums since many maintain a 'guild links' thread); the websites should, hopefully, give you a better idea of what they require in terms of commitment on your part. If you find one that fits the bill, go apply!

I'd suggest you'd probably want to go directly to a raid guild rather than a levelling one if you're currently 85; everyone's going to have to level. Having said that, it's worth finding out if the guild in question is a "GET TO CAP AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!" one or a "Take your time, enjoy the process, we'll start raids in a little while" one; both approaches have merit.
Thanks! I have a question though, what is TW? That's what it says next to my realm instead of US or EU.

GuildOx - World | US | EU | TW | KR |

edit: nvm I found the US one

ACE 1991

Argh, looks like I can't run the game at 1080p reasonably. 720p looks kind of crappy and my computer can't handle multisampling x2. Speaking of which, is this the same as anti aliasing?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dipindots said:
I might have some serious nostalgia about Vanilla WoW, but I totally agree. When I was farming heroics on my lvl 80 I was shocked at how much of a joke they were. I was pulling entire rooms on my undergeared DK tank without a sweat.

It's going to be an unpleasant surprise for some newer Wrath generation players when they see that zerging the instance simply won't work anymore.
It sounds lame, but I was kind of "afraid" to do heroics(was wanting to jump in without doing normal modes to get pre-raid gear). I started WOTLK late after a hiatus. To my surprise, it was all AOE, DK was easy mode AOE, and I didn't need to spend 30 minutes before each deungon learning the strat.

Dina

Flib said:
You pop enrage before a pull to get a bit of rage, but wait to pull until the 10sec debuff is off. You gain rage throughout that 10sec, so you'll have the max rage level possible with enrage when you pull, but won't have a damage debuff on you. It doesn't matter in non-cata dungeons much at this point, but there are certain pulls in some of the normal dungeons (grim batol comes to mind) where you will get rocked if you do this, especially with our nerfed bear form hp. Heroic 85's, it's even worse of an idea.

Hmm, right. Waiting 10 seconds before a pull is shitty though. Unless the pace is MUCH slower in Cata, those 10 seconds waiting time with random hunters will be pain.

Or just pop it when fighting a last mob of a group of mobs, I suppose.

I'm torn on the dungeon issue. I always enjoyed instances in vanilla. CC was fun for me--and not just the first 3 days of it. It was nice to have separation on good dps vs. bad dps based on something other than damage meters. I really enjoyed kiting on my hunter on General Drakk in UBRS. I liked running Scarlet Monastery when the game was brand new and ice trapping the Scarlet Myrmidons because of how much DPS they poured out. That stuff was fun.

However, these dungeons were always pretty long encounters and due to changes in my life, I can't play the game uninterrupted for the amount of time I used to. I really do like being able to hop into a dungeon and know that it'll be over without having to rebuff myself. 20-25 minute instances are a sweet spot in my opinion. I really like the winged approach of the new ICC 5 mans. Doing the whole "quest line" through the three dungeons will take some time, but you can hit any wing in 20 minutes.

I hope cataclysm retains some of the sub-30 minute time requirement on dungeons, but also has a little more strategy on some trash packs. Not every pull needs to be complicated, but it'll be nice to know you need to coordinate and CC a certain mob type in a dungeon when you come across it.

mcrae

Spookie said:
I was planning on coming back for Cata, I left after 3.2 so I don't care much for class balance I'm assuming mages are still bipolar as ever about going fire/arcane.

But I'm now working eves (2pm - 8:30pm UK time) and I'm wondering if it's worth coming back to raid the 10 mans. I'm aware they drop the same loot but would like to start/join a solid guild who raid during the early hours of the morn or start much later.

Is there any chance of that or should I cancel my pre order now to save my self the agony of try to PUG? I guess I'm asking if attitudes have changed towards 10 mans recently.

if you're willing to xfer servers, you're guaranteed to find a guild that works for you. otherwie, i dunno

KJTB

DeathNote said:
It sounds lame, but I was kind of "afraid" to do heroics(was wanting to jump in without doing normal modes to get pre-raid gear). I started WOTLK late after a hiatus. To my surprise, it was all AOE, DK was easy mode AOE, and I didn't need to spend 30 minutes before each deungon learning the strat.

Exactly what happened to me. I quit at the beginning of Wrath and came back not too long ago and I too was worried. I thought that I'd be kicked from groups or whatever for not having the gear or experience with the dungeons :lol

Rapstah

Dipindots said:
Exactly what happened to me. I quit at the beginning of Wrath and came back not too long ago and I too was worried. I thought that I'd be kicked from groups or whatever for not having the gear or experience with the dungeons :lol
I spent so fucking much time running random normals and questing Icecrown before accidentally queuing for a random heroic on my at-the-time Holy Priest. Like seriously, three months.

Flib

Dina said:
Hmm, right. Waiting 10 seconds before a pull is shitty though. Unless the pace is MUCH slower in Cata, those 10 seconds waiting time with random hunters will be pain.

Or just pop it when fighting a last mob of a group of mobs, I suppose.

The pace is much slower. If a second group gets pulled by leglollas, you're probably going to wipe (almost guaranteed in heroic, about a 50-50 chance in regulars, depending on gear).

You'll be taking a lot more damage and shouldn't be rage starved really. I only use it if we're taking a mana break, or there are certain parts of the dungeons where you'll have 10 sec before the next pull.

Remember that you'll need to mark at some points, so use that time to enrage if you need to. It really hasn't been a huge pain for me (although I wish we weren't penalized, unlike say, Warriors).

Flib

SnakeswithLasers said:
I'm torn on the dungeon issue. I always enjoyed instances in vanilla. CC was fun for me--and not just the first 3 days of it. It was nice to have separation on good dps vs. bad dps based on something other than damage meters. I really enjoyed kiting on my hunter on General Drakk in UBRS. I liked running Scarlet Monastery when the game was brand new and ice trapping the Scarlet Myrmidons because of how much DPS they poured out. That stuff was fun.

However, these dungeons were always pretty long encounters and due to changes in my life, I can't play the game uninterrupted for the amount of time I used to. I really do like being able to hop into a dungeon and know that it'll be over without having to rebuff myself. 20-25 minute instances are a sweet spot in my opinion. I really like the winged approach of the new ICC 5 mans. Doing the whole "quest line" through the three dungeons will take some time, but you can hit any wing in 20 minutes.

I hope cataclysm retains some of the sub-30 minute time requirement on dungeons, but also has a little more strategy on some trash packs. Not every pull needs to be complicated, but it'll be nice to know you need to coordinate and CC a certain mob type in a dungeon when you come across it.

When you first start doing them, some will probably take about 45. By the time your gear gets better and you get used to them, 30 is easily doable for most of them. Heroics are different though, mainly because they're pretty tough. Going to depend on your group. One of the bosses in Grim Batol took me 45 min to clear on heroic (this dude http://www.wowpedia.org/Forgemaster_Throngus . His damage output is nuts).

ampere

Flib said:
I forgot all about that debuff, I've gotten so used to t10 4p. Reminds me that I should respec when I start dropping those pieces while leveling.

Flib said:
When you first start doing them, some will probably take about 45. By the time your gear gets better and you get used to them, 30 is easily doable for most of them. Heroics are different though, mainly because they're pretty tough. Going to depend on your group. One of the bosses in Grim Batol took me 45 min to clear on heroic (this dude http://www.wowpedia.org/Forgemaster_Throngus . His damage output is nuts).

Fucking Forgemaster. That guy is harder than anything found in ICC.

Flib

ciaossu said:
I forgot all about that debuff, I've gotten so used to t10 4p. Reminds me that I should respec when I start dropping those pieces while leveling.

RIP t10 4pc. We hardly knew ya!

Bisnic

VAIL said:
No pet this year, pretty fucking cheap blizzard, must be too busy selling them for cash...

I wouldnt blame it on the Blizzard Store's pets for that.

I mean, we did have a Mini-Onyxia pet last year on top of the Pandaren Monk and Lil KT which we had to pay for.

If anything, i'm going to guess they're more busy getting Cataclysm ready and they had to sacrifice somewhere. And they would rather sacrifice the free pet. Not too surprising.

Flib

Better description of forgemaster:

"Forgemaster Throngus is the second boss in the lvl 85 dungeon Grim Batol. He is much like Forgemaster Garfrost in the Pit of Saron, and Mr. Smite in the original Deadmines.

Regular: Throngus has 3 phase, 4 if you count the "Weaponless" stage. Throngus will periodically stomp, causing a cave in on random players, this does a small amount of physical damage over time, so don't stand in it.

The gimmick to his fight, is he will take out a weapon, changing the phase. What weapon he will have is completely random.

Mace, "Oh, this is gonna HURT!": Throngus will do EXTREMELY high damage to his current target, but his movement speed is drastically slowed. The tank has to kite him around, as to avoid getting hit. In this phase, Throngus will charge a random player and impale them, carrying them around on his mace and do physical damage over time.

Swords, "Throngus SLICE you up!": Throngus will hit very fast and very hard during this phase, and that is basically all I saw.

Shield, "You not get through defenses!": Throngus will take out a shield, any attacks from the front will be deflected and/or reflected. The only way to do damage, is to hit him from behind. So adjust accordingly when ever he turns around. As to not make this phase easy, twilight cultists will shoot burning arrows at the party, dealing around 6k fire damage.

Heroic: The fight changes greatly on heroic, Throngus gains a new ability in addition to cave in, called "Disorienting Roar". It starts at 3 stacks, and increases spell casting time by 150%. What it means, is it will take 150% longer to cast a spell, and it is removed every time you cast a spell, even instant casts.

Mace: Throngus leaves a trail of burning fire from his mace where ever he walks, the fire does an extreme amount of damage. This means when he impales someone and drops them, they have to run away as soon as they can, as he will drop them in the fire.

Swords: Throngus will place a magical DoT on the tank, dealing high amounts of fire damage over time. It can be dispelled.

Shield: The shield will change to a winged dragon, it will breath fire, and deal 8 - 10k damage per second. This combined with the flaming arrows, now dealing 8k fire damage, is deadly. So stand close to him so you can quickly move away."

Bradlums

The Lamonster said:

Here's my ideas:

Running WOTLK Heroics to sell the loot on the AH
Questing in Icecrown and Storm Peaks for quest reward money

Suggestions?

Not sure if you're willing to change professions, but most professions have a few recipes that are exploitable for some fast gold. I'm a 450 tailor and all I do is buy mats for about 100 gold, resell brilliant spellthreads and sapphire spellthreads for about 200 gold each. I usually post about 4 of each to the auction house each time I get on. Good way to make money if you're lazy like me. :D

Bradlums said:
Not sure if you're willing to change professions, but most professions have a few recipes that are exploitable for some fast gold. I'm a 450 tailor and all I do is buy mats for about 100 gold, resell brilliant spellthreads and sapphire spellthreads for about 200 gold each. I usually post about 4 of each to the auction house each time I get on. Good way to make money if you're lazy like me. :D
Thanks, my alt is a tailor but it's only a level 60 so far. I'll keep this in mind for the near-future though!

Effect

I took advantage of the free 7 days I was offered yesterday and logged back in. Feeling bored I ran my 80 Holy Paladin (I wish they'd would leave some information on how you previously setup your talents when they reset them) through Gnomeregan. Was a cake walk but was curious as to what the content was like and if I missed anything by not doing it when I was at a lower level. Nothing much really. I like the design of the area and seeing what else was down there was interesting (what added to the Gnomes losing it) but overall it was a fairly boring trip. Getting the achievement was the only significant positive out of it I think. Maybe the experience is different when you are the right level? Not really sure how though. Deadmines seemed to offer more interesting encounters and better rewards for the level range. In fact Deadmines felt more like an actual dungeon crawl with min-bosses and the final boss. Gnomeregan seemed to lack direction overall.

Also are the buttons during the final fight suppose to do anything?

ampere

Forgemaster sounds like an interesting fight... I can't wait to do these new dungeons.

Resto shaman main, I love figuring out new fights. Sounds hard on heroic, exciting!

Anyone here with beta experience? I just got my druid to 80 and I don't want to play until cataclysm but all he has is some brutal pvp gear and greens/blues. Think I will be ok questing in cata ? or will I get my socks knocked off?

Bisnic

Effect said:
I took advantage of the free 7 days I was offered yesterday and logged back in. Feeling bored I ran my 80 Holy Paladin (I wish they'd would leave some information on how you previously setup your talents when they reset them) through Gnomeregan. Was a cake walk but was curious as to what the content was like and if I missed anything by not doing it when I was at a lower level. Nothing much really. I like the design of the area and seeing what else was down there was interesting (what added to the Gnomes losing it) but overall it was a fairly boring trip. Getting the achievement was the only significant positive out of it I think. Maybe the experience is different when you are the right level? Not really sure how though. Deadmines seemed to offer more interesting encounters and better rewards for the level range. In fact Deadmines felt more like an actual dungeon crawl with min-bosses and the final boss. Gnomeregan seemed to lack direction overall.

Also are the buttons during the final fight suppose to do anything?

You're doing low lvl instances as a high lvl. Of course its going to be boring compared to its right lvl.

But Gnomeregan always sucked anyway.

Flib

GhostRidah said:
Anyone here with beta experience? I just got my druid to 80 and I don't want to play until cataclysm but all he has is some brutal pvp gear and greens/blues. Think I will be ok questing in cata ? or will I get my socks knocked off?

You're totally fine. The mobs in the starting areas are level 80, and the gear replacements come fast and furious. If you're ICC geared, you'll start replacing a piece here and there in Deepholm.

Also, I'm trying to get my guild to move over to Mumble, can any of you guys recommend a hosting service?

Effect

Bisnic said:
You're doing low lvl instances as a high lvl. Of course its going to be boring compared to its right lvl.

True. Was trying to imagine how it would be as a lower level going through the content. It would of course be harder but don't think it would be any less boring though.

ampere

Bisnic said:

This. They should have removed/revamped it. Probably wanted to and didn't have the time or something, I heard the new Deadmines is great though.

Scrow said:
yeah, i dunno. aren't there a lot of debuff overlaps between classes that don't stack? is Feral Aggression worth it for the improved faerie fire if there are other armor reduction debuffs that don't stack with FF and are more effective?

same for the attack speed reduction from Infected Wounds. are there debuffs from other classes that overlap that functionality but don't stack?

I don't care about buffs and debuffs right now, I'm level 33. Just the best talents for low level tanking. I passed on infected wounds and didn't know how worthwhile stuff like that is. When you have a limited amount of talent points available, I didn't want to waste points on talents that weren't most useful.

Also does using improved faerie fire give double and triple the threat of the regular fearie fire?

Flib

funkmastergeneral said:
I don't care about buffs and debuffs right now, I'm level 33. Just the best talents for low level tanking. I passed on infected wounds and didn't know how worthwhile stuff like that is. When you have a limited amount of talent points available, I didn't want to waste points on talents that weren't most useful.

Also does using improved faerie fire give double and triple the threat of the regular fearie fire?

Low level tanking (and high level aoe tanking) is fucked for druids right now, as swipe is bugged. We're not great low level tanks anyway since swipe comes at 30, and it's a million years before you get lacerate (abilities which warriors get equivalents of before they even enter the dungeon finder).

The swipe bug is ridiculous though. I can tank Lich King and my threat is through the roof, but I can barely hold aggro against healers in 5 mans. I can do it with tab-lacerating, but why bother when I can just tank on my pally or dk in the meantime until a fix comes down the pipeline.

Not sure about faerie fire, but it's good threat either way. You'll also be putting out more damage on the target with 3 stacks up, so it's worth it.

Bradlums said:

Almost all Jewelcrafting gems are exploitable, for instance. :lol

Currently sitting on about 35k gold that I've built up over some time (bout 15-20k of that in the last month or two though.) But that's nothing compared to what I expect to make in the first few months of Cata having JC, Enchanting, Alchemy, Inscription, Herbalism, and Mining all currently maxed. Also have a Blacksmith/Miner and another Alchemist + Tailor coming up, I'll be wielding a pretty ridiculous power to make gold, which has been a kind of side project of mine recently with the raids being stale.

And if you're wondering how I made that much so far, the most direct answer is just to save money, and not buy anything you don't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom