• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseZao

Not looking to exploit into new cata zones, but on my hunter I can use Eagle Eye to peek past the gates. Only went to Twilight Highlands so far and you can't see much other than level 85 mobs, new gathering nodes and some dragon that is being killed. Somehow I'm more interested in this than just finding youtube videos of the new zones. Seems more "fun" I guess.

notworksafe said:
I think tonight I'll head over to Badlands (what level is this zone) and do The Day Deathwing Came and then go to Swamp of Sorrows so I can do the quests around ST and mourn its passing.

Anything else I should see on my Druid before I hit 60? I'll go back and do some things on my 80 Paladin but I'd like to do quests that are awesome and give me some XP as well (so 50-60 range). :D

Means time ran out.

Badlands is 45-48 according to the master map .jpg (http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2010/november/levelflow.jpg)

One thing I found interesting was a short little set of quests given by the commander outside the Dark Portal that wasn't there before.

Also, there's a free rocket ride from southeast Burning Steppes to a completely new goblin town in SoS (which is NE SoS.)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just resubbed and rolled a dat ass pally.

Vanessa :(

The thought of an underwater zone pains me. I'm sure it's fine and good, but ... I've never liked an underwater level of any game ever. Except for Silent Service on Nintendo.

SnakeswithLasers said:
The thought of an underwater zone pains me. I'm sure it's fine and good, but ... I've never liked an underwater level of any game ever. Except for Silent Service on Nintendo.

Maybe if you just don't like the scenery. I had my doubts at first, but after seeing some beta videos of a bit of Vashj'ir (annoying to spell, that name) I'm less worried. They give you underwater breathing and a ridiculous swim speed buff within the first 3 quests (faster than even the glorious angler trinket can make you go). Also, being able to "lock" to the sea floor, as well as seahorse mounts later, I think it will be okay.

The water isn't murky or anything either.

Still I'll probably do Hyjal first, honestly.

B-Dex

Just got my Lil' Ragnaros and Moonkin Hatchling! Sooo cute!

And about the underwater zones being awful... Shimmering Flats is pretty awesome and they give you items and buffs to help with the conditions.

You also get a boat!

Gravijah

Is it possible to finish the Cape of Stranglethorn Quests achievement while being hated with Booty Bay? Need to know if I should speed up my cloth turns in for stupid Steamwheedle Cartel.

cdyhybrid

Currently in Hillsbrad (Tarren Mill) with my Undead Hunter...I've gotta say I'm very impressed with the quests so far - Silverpine is amazing as is Hillsbrad so far. Unfortunately, no cool looking beasts yet for me to tame, still using my starting spider <3, just a bunch of worgs and bears and a few other spiders.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
cdyhybrid said:
Currently in Hillsbrad (Tarren Mill) with my Undead Hunter...I've gotta say I'm very impressed with the quests so far - Silverpine is amazing as is Hillsbrad so far. Unfortunately, no cool looking beasts yet for me to tame, still using my starting spider <3, just a bunch of worgs and bears and a few other spiders.
Have you met Orkus for a second time and done his quests? They're really something.

cdyhybrid said:
Yep, the Hero of the Horde ones? Some cool cameos in those quests :p
*sniff*
/salute

cdyhybrid

So I'm almost done with Hillsbrad, and I've heard that Arathi isn't as awesome as Hillsbrad and Silverpine, so I'll probably go back to my Troll Druid until Cata. For leveling, I assume I should take mostly cat talents for solo questing with some bear talents for tanking dungeons? Any advice on must-have talents?

Edit: Psylosopher :lol

Anno

Anyone recommended a DPS tracker that can break down your characters different attacks and stores information over a long period of time? Also looking for addon suggestions for a hardcore soloer.

notworksafe

Anno said:
Anyone recommended a DPS tracker that can break down your characters different attacks and stores information over a long period of time? Also looking for addon suggestions for a hardcore soloer.
I think you want a combination of Recount (for tracking fights as you play) and using the World of Logs combat log parser (for storing info).

Also my addon must haves:

Bagnon for having one giant bag and being able to see the bank and bags of other characters you have.

Mapster for a smaller and moveable world map.

Omen is a threat meter. I use that for tanking as a visual representation of threat to make sure I've got a decent lead on the other players. Also good for DPS to keep an eye on what they are doing.

Quartz is a cast bar and swing timer. I use it just to make cast/buff bars more noticeable and the swing timer is useful as well.

Those, DBM, and sometimes Recount is about all I use.

Rokam

If you want to experience the new locking to the ground while underwater, the goblin town in Swamp of Sorrows provides you a potion to do so. The gnome walking animation underwater is fantastic.:lol

ACE 1991

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Pretty sure both frost and unholy are competitive at this point. At the moment, I have 2h frost as my DPS spec (main spec tank though.) and I do pretty well. I don't have decent one-handers though, so that's mainly why. Gonna switch to dual wield with the introduction of strength one-handers in 80-85 content however.

I like the frost play style better though, mostly because I tanked as frost for so long, and was never a huge fan of pet classes/specs.

Personally, I think frost may be due for a nerf at some point up ahead, since the mastery scales very well, but that's just me speculating.

AoE in frost is very good though - I've hit 13-14k dps on trash in ICC and I don't have the best dps gear, certainly worse than some of the other people in the raid, and that was either topping or being second on the chart beaten only sometimes by a mage or lock.

I'm rocking a 2h mace at the moment, could you link me your spec? Thanks!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Damn, Lil Ragnaros with a pet biscuit is ridiculous! :lol

jQLia.jpg

I am starting to imagine the pain that tanks are going to soon experience, warriors in particular.

Everyone has been so used to just mowing thru heroics that cata dungeons are going to be a clusterfuck until people realise that their tank isn't shit, it is your overagro that is the problem.

I'm struggling to hold pack agro right now in wotlk heroics, shadow priests and mages especially. It's going to be hell for a while

Flib

SnakeswithLasers said:

As someone who has done both starting zones on the beta and isn't usually a big underwater zone fan, Vash'jir is way way more interesting than Hyjal. Easily the most gorgeous zone in the game to a ridiculous degree, and it has a really really epic and awesome story with an amazing end sequence. Lots of cutscenes and new mechanics, and it's really easy to get around. Not only do you get that underwater breathing/swimspeed buff plus the ability to lock onto the ground and play like you're above water, but there are a ton of caves/indoor areas. You also get a ridiculously fast seahorse mount about 6 quests in.

ACE 1991 said:
I'm rocking a 2h mace at the moment, could you link me your spec? Thanks!

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0hZGcMMfuRzbu0b:amM

^^^^ That is basically what I'm currently using. For certain situations, it may be worth it to pick up Lichborne, or Endless Winter, but they're utility and don't have a direct effect on DPS on most fights. This would be compared to On an Pale Horse, which I do have for the great convenience (super speed with a 310 mount on addition). Endless Winter isn't super useful anyway since you generate a TON of runic power as 2h frost, so it'd be rare to be out.

Other than that, haste is best secondary stat (after hit and expertise to cap) for 2h - dual wield favors mastery. Strength is the best stat for both. The other thing of note is that 2h does DPS in Unholy presence vs. Frost Presence for Dual Wield.

At 85 though, dual wield is supposed to be superior to 2h by about a 10% DPS gain - again, I only do 2h now since I don't have adequate 1h weapons.

http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t105701-frost_dps_cataclysm_larger_than_life/

That thread, and the other DK threads at Elitist Jerks are fantastic.

Cyrillus

SnakeswithLasers said:

In terms of Vash'jir zones, the underwater breathing + swim speed buff you get coupled with the ridiculously fast swimming mount makes it so your movement doesn't feel hindered. Not sure if that's what you were worried about, but I went into Vash'jir thinking I'd hate it, but it's easily one of my favorite new zones in Cata.

notworksafe said:
I think you want a combination of Recount (for tracking fights as you play) and using the World of Logs combat log parser (for storing info).

Also my addon must haves:

Bagnon for having one giant bag and being able to see the bank and bags of other characters you have.

Mapster for a smaller and moveable world map.

Omen is a threat meter. I use that for tanking as a visual representation of threat to make sure I've got a decent lead on the other players. Also good for DPS to keep an eye on what they are doing.

Quartz is a cast bar and swing timer. I use it just to make cast/buff bars more noticeable and the swing timer is useful as well.

Those, DBM, and sometimes Recount is about all I use.

I personally prefer http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/ark-inventory.aspx]ArkInventory over Bagnon, but they do the same thing.

In addition to Mapster, I pair it with Cromulent (which gives the zone info that Cartographer used to give), although it hasn't been updated with the new ranges for after the shattering yet.

EDIT: There is an update for Cromulent today, although I don't know if it is fixed yet - Curse Client is failing to download it.

There are a bunch of other addons I use, and maybe I'll go over them if we have a UI discussion, but I just wanted to mention those two real quick.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
JesseZao said:
Not looking to exploit into new cata zones, but on my hunter I can use Eagle Eye to peek past the gates. Only went to Twilight Highlands so far and you can't see much other than level 85 mobs, new gathering nodes and some dragon that is being killed. Somehow I'm more interested in this than just finding youtube videos of the new zones. Seems more "fun" I guess.
You can chain Eagle Eye with a macro to look all over the whole zone if you weren't aware of it. I did it in Uldum and parts of Hyjal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
mileS said:
I'm not sure how tank druid gear works but wouldn't it be easier in the long run to have Druid 1 cat dps and tank and Druid 2 boomkin and healer?
Druids get hit from spirit so a lot of their gear is just healer gear anyways. I don't know why anyone would ever roll the same class multiple times. I've never really found leveling fun enough to justify doing it unless you're learning some new mechanics.
J-Rzez said:
I'm currently 2h UH and that's good enough to be at the tops of the charts on nearly every raid fight, including trash aoe. That's going to change at 85 though if I'm theorycrafting as well as reading theorycrafting correctly, going to DW UH.
I can't figure out even a single reason why DW Unholy would be even competitive, even if EJ is claiming it is. The only logical reason is because white damage in dual-wielding is always higher than 2H, which basically means there's a design flaw floating around because you shouldn't do enough crappy auto attacking damage to outweigh everything else you're doing.

The only time I ever really found Unholy to be any fun was 3.2.2 when you went through crazy button smashing 10 second rotations. That was probably the most fun spec I've ever played in WoW. Otherwise, it's just the most boring thing ever where you try to extend disease lengths and let your passive ghoul who has no real abilities other than claw and a cooldown do even more auto attacking.

Even if Unholy dual wield proves to be superior over 2h (apparently only by 5%, so it's not a HUGE gap, but still), it's probably due to be broken somehow at least by patch 4.1, since that isn't how the spec is intended to be played. Probably something along the lines of moving Nerves of Cold Steel up further in frost, as that would do it.

ACE 1991

Two questions: Is there anyway to reduce my mouse lag other than the option in settings? It cuts my FPS by about 2/3's, but the mouse lag is pretty bad. I've had this issue with other games like Starcraft II. In addition does playing while the game is installing (it is at step 3) reduce FPS? If not I'm really worried about performance of this game on my laptop, as I'm playing at the recommended settings and getting 10-12fps consistently. I posted it a few pages back, but here is my laptops specs, which seems like it should be enough to run wow at 30+ fps at decent settings:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz
4gb Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 512mb

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
I can't figure out even a single reason why DW Unholy would be even competitive, even if EJ is claiming it is.

Because, Blizzard is putting in Str 1h offensive weapons, so somebody's got to use them. :D

Well, supposedly "auto-attack" damage goes up quite a bit, so much that it's your second highest damage dealer, 2nd only to the ghoul. "Sudden Doom" also benefits from the faster weapons than the 2h. But even though it's "superior", it only has a "5%" advantage, which those people over there think that makes it the definitive spec. So I don't know. Some reading it makes sense, but only minutely, nothing earth shaking. I guess it's more what you like, and what gear you get to drop in the end.

All I know is UH is so much more fun than Frost after the changes (and, it's not like it's behind on DPS, in fact, it's a teeter-totter between them based on player skill and luck of procs). The rotation is so fast due to UH-P. Fun stuff.

I don't know, I'd try out UH-DW now, except how big STR plays a factor, and there's no DPS STR 1H in the game atm really.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Even if Unholy dual wield proves to be superior over 2h (apparently only by 5%, so it's not a HUGE gap, but still), it's probably due to be broken somehow at least by patch 4.1, since that isn't how the spec is intended to be played. Probably something along the lines of moving Nerves of Cold Steel up further in frost, as that would do it.

I wouldn't doubt it, as that's how Blizzard fixes something by breaking something else on purpose. :p

Angry Grimace said:
Druids get hit from spirit so a lot of their gear is just healer gear anyways. I don't know why anyone would ever roll the same class multiple times. I've never really found leveling fun enough to justify doing it unless you're learning some new mechanics.

Kinda explained that already....I don't care for any of the other classes as much and I've leveled them all to 25ish.

2 Druids give me all 4 roles. I win WoW. ;)

J-Rzez

krypt0nian said:
Kinda explained that already....I don't care for any of the other classes as much and I've leveled them all to 25ish.

2 Druids give me all 4 roles. I win WoW. ;)

Some classes drastically change beyond level 25ish. You kinda remind me of this chick in my old guild that had 2 shamans for the 3 specs heh.

Sai-kun said:
You're playing WoW. You lose automatically :lol

Nah. that was years ago when I was playing seriously. Now it's just relaxing. ;)

J-Rzez said:
Some classes drastically change beyond level 25ish. You kinda remind me of this chick in my old guild that had 2 shamans for the 3 specs heh.

Yeah you're probably right but I have a 70 lock and a 65 rogue that I lost interest in. Druid Simulator 4.03 all the way!

J-Rzez said:

There was a lady in my old guild that had somewhere between 2 and 4 hunters.

That's dedication!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
McNei1y said:
Holy shit Zen'kiki is probably the funniest thing I have ever seen Blizzard do.

I agree. And im not surprised that i already see a few troll druids called Zenkiki on the Armory. :lol

Their numbers will probably triple soon. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom