• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flib

Effect said:
If you've already updated the game are you set for Cata? Or will you have to update again once it goes live officially?

There might be a tiny patch to switch things over, but you have all the zones/items/content right now, it's just disabled.

GhostRidah said:
Nothing but the obvious, clear your bags, have pots/flasks, logout in front of org/storm flight master for training.

Those, and just make as much money as you can from dailies/quests (stuff where you don't have to worry about selling things) in the next week.

And if you want a head start on leveling, gather up a bunch of dailies or high-level quests (dungeon quests are good if you didn't do them before) the day before Cata drops and turn them in the day of. A full log gets you between 40-50% of the way to 81.

notworksafe

funkmastergeneral said:
I don't care about buffs and debuffs right now, I'm level 33. Just the best talents for low level tanking. I passed on infected wounds and didn't know how worthwhile stuff like that is. When you have a limited amount of talent points available, I didn't want to waste points on talents that weren't most useful.

Also does using improved faerie fire give double and triple the threat of the regular fearie fire?
Here's my tank spec that I've been using on low level dungeons and I haven't had any issues with threat or low survivability. Granted it's only level 53 but it will keep you going for a bit.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Area+52&cn=Bonnietyler&group=2

For some reason the Armory doesn't want to update my profile, but you get the idea...

EDIT: WTF my glyphs are all weird too. I have Mangle as my prime (can't find a suitable second prime atm because all the good ones are for spells I don't have), Frenzied Regen and Maul as my Majors, and Challenging Roar and Dash as my Minors.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Almost all Jewelcrafting gems are exploitable, for instance. :lol

Currently sitting on about 35k gold that I've built up over some time (bout 15-20k of that in the last month or two though.) But that's nothing compared to what I expect to make in the first few months of Cata having JC, Enchanting, Alchemy, Inscription, Herbalism, and Mining all currently maxed. Also have a Blacksmith/Miner and another Alchemist + Tailor coming up, I'll be wielding a pretty ridiculous power to make gold, which has been a kind of side project of mine recently with the raids being stale.

And if you're wondering how I made that much so far, the most direct answer is just to save money, and not buy anything you don't need.

Yeah, with my 3 lvl 80 Alliances alone, i have something like 37k gold combined i think. What do i do? Nothing. I dont waste my time doing dailies or selling herbs/leathers/ores or selling gems/glyphs/enchants. I simply just sell everything i get while doing instances or lvling new alts, and all my 80s have the necessary professions to help like Jewelcrafting, Inscription, Enchanting, Alchemy, Mining & Herbalism. So gold always goes up, never down. The only time i buy stuff in the AH are for leg enchants or to add another slot to a new belt. :lol

I'm sure if i would sell mats or crafted stuff and do dailies, i would be at 100k gold. But really... who need that much?

The Stonetalon Mountains zone and quest design as a Horde character was pretty amazing, and not just shows how far Blizzard has come since the old days (where Stonetalon was more or less a useless wreck of a zone), but how far they have come since Burning Crusade (which was also light-years beyond vanilla). The overall experience couldn't be better: varied quest design, self-contained plot arc that finishes at the end of the zone with some interesting revelations and ramifications, and solid itemization of quest rewards.

It's amazing how far the genre has come in the last decade, and even more how the champion of the genre never manages to really rest of their laurels. Awesome. ( n.b. -I'm a big LOTRO nut, but this stuff is completely in a class of its own and I admit it).

I'm not as impressed by the revamped instances outside of the ease of getting in, getting your quests done, and moving on. It's a streamlined experience but some of these dungeons are just not very newbie-friendly, even with the maps and skulls people get lost. At least it is easy because I am playing a protection paladin and am competent-as long as the healer in the group is even half-awake you can basically bust through all the old world dungeons without any issue. I'm assuming that the class gets a bit less insane once you get to 80-85 content.

Concept17

Does anyone know of any kind of playthrough of the new zones after the Shattering? Alliance in particular. I'm really curious to see some of the changes as I've been thinking about playing again.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Concept17 said:
Does anyone know of any kind of playthrough of the new zones after the Shattering? Alliance in particular. I'm really curious to see some of the changes as I've been thinking about playing again.
levelflow.jpg

The actual quests themselves are much easier now because they are bunched in places rather than spread all over the map.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question WoW Gaf (As if I haven't asked enough in the past few days :D) I am now playing with my first WoW character from a few years ago and just reached level 70. Back then I didn't make money easily and now have little to no gold, what is the easiest way for me to make some money? I unlocked the last flying level and it is a ridiculous amount.

I am a 70 Night Elf Rogue.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Deadly Cyclone said:
Question WoW Gaf (As if I haven't asked enough in the past few days :D) I am now playing with my first WoW character from a few years ago and just reached level 70. Back then I didn't make money easily and now have little to no gold, what is the easiest way for me to make some money? I unlocked the last flying level and it is a ridiculous amount.

At level 70 just keep questing. The gold rewards continue to mount the higher you go. Having professions is another thing that will help. There isn't some secret to it, just gather the stuff you can gather and make stuff that people actually want; you just have to figure out what people will want.

KJTB

Deadly Cyclone said:

Haha, oh man, I remember the good old days where gold was impossible to come by and seeing someone on an epic ground mount was awesome.

Just keep questing, by the time you're lvl 80 you'll have a few thousand gold from just questing alone. I imagine that if you continue questing through cataclysm you'll have quite a lot of gold.

Firebrand

Rolled a dwarf paladin and have been having a great time, they really made low-level paladins more fun since I last tried it. I'm even soloing as holy! Will dual-spec as ret I think though.

My problem is that I'm levelling too fast! I want to see as much of the new questchains as possible, but I find myself outlevelling zones before I get to them (entered Duskwood at 28).
I'm trying to find the new, more interesting questchains (Westfall and Redridge had some fun new chains), so any recommendations on zones/quests I shouldn't miss out on? Anything in Duskwood/STV/Arathi? I'm currently level 30 I think. I'm planning to go to WPL eventually but the quests are a couple of levels above me right now.

mcrae

hey guys. as level 68, using the random dungeon finder, will i get any hits? ive been waiting for abotu 5 minutes so far, and thinking i should just go keep on questing since nothing has happened.

would the random battleground finder work better?

notworksafe

mcrae said:
hey guys. as level 68, using the random dungeon finder, will i get any hits? ive been waiting for abotu 5 minutes so far, and thinking i should just go keep on questing since nothing has happened.

Tank, DPS, or Heals? DPS queues are always the longest (15-20+ mins is common). You shouldn't wait around for a dungeon to pop anyway. Be questing or doing something and it'll come up eventually.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Anyone else having an issue with some assets showing up as blue and white checkered cubes? Any fix for this?

I'm loving the new questlines and zone changes. Leveled an undead hunter up to 23 so far and it has been awesome. I like how they used existing characters from old WoW in the new questlines. Also, LOL @ "Dumass" in Hillsbrad.

mcrae said:

They will both give you queues of 10-20 mins, esp if you're DPS.

DRock said:
Anyone else having an issue with some assets showing up as blue and white checkered cubes? Any fix for this?

I'm loving the new questlines and zone changes. Leveled an undead hunter up to 23 so far and it has been awesome. I like how they used existing characters from old WoW in the new questlines. Also, LOL @ "Dumass" in Hillsbrad.
Solution: open launcher.exe in your WoW folder next time you boot the game

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
The Lamonster said:
Solution: open launcher.exe in your WoW folder next time you boot the game
I thought I tried this last night, but I'll try again.

Bisnic

Firebrand said:
Rolled a dwarf paladin and have been having a great time, they really made low-level paladins more fun since I last tried it. I'm even soloing as holy! Will dual-spec as ret I think though.

My problem is that I'm levelling too fast! I want to see as much of the new questchains as possible, but I find myself outlevelling zones before I get to them (entered Duskwood at 28).
I'm trying to find the new, more interesting questchains (Westfall and Redridge had some fun new chains), so any recommendations on zones/quests I shouldn't miss out on? Anything in Duskwood/STV/Arathi? I'm currently level 30 I think. I'm planning to go to WPL eventually but the quests are a couple of levels above me right now.

What you could do to slow down the speed if you think you're lvling too fast and dont want to outlvl stuff is either stay out of inns and capital cities when you log off or simply turn off XP.

J-Rzez

Bisnic said:
I wouldnt blame it on the Blizzard Store's pets for that.

I mean, we did have a Mini-Onyxia pet last year on top of the Pandaren Monk and Lil KT which we had to pay for.

If anything, i'm going to guess they're more busy getting Cataclysm ready and they had to sacrifice somewhere. And they would rather sacrifice the free pet. Not too surprising.

Oh come on dude. They don't need to sacrifice anywhere as they have the money to get them all the resources they'd need for sure. They make an absolutely insane amount of money off this game. Enough to fund their new MMO, D3, SC2, and whatever stuff they work on. There's no excuses with the shortcuts or laziness already. For every "zomg that's awesome" there will be at least as many "wtf, why didn't they..." being uttered for sure.

They had enough time to get those two new pets on their store to pay for, oddly enough. I enjoy this game immensely (it still sees the majority of my game time, as my "hours of my life wasted counter" will also tell), but I'm not blind to the shortcomings and shortcuts Blizzard takes, and it's really aggravating knowing that Blizzard CAN fix/resolve these issues/complaints.

KJTB

AceBandage said:
Me trying to get into Uldum the back way.
Still ports me to the stupid ruins.

This is off topic... but do you stretch your finger to hit "8" and stuff for your keybindings or do you click? :p

KJTB

AceBandage said:
Click, of course.
All my healing spells are done through VuhDo.

I was thinking of getting VuhDo for my resto druid but wasn't sure if I should bother before I actually get to experience any form of raid content on him. Is it a pain to set up or is it pretty much good to go right away?

It's fairly easy to set up.
Just put it where you want and most of the spells are already bound to keys.
The only thing was setting up the raid frames to something I like, but it didn't take long, and it lets you preview it without being in a raid.

Bisnic

Hotfix for dungeons quests giving too much XP.
We are applying a hotfix today to all level 1-60 dungeon quests for Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms dungeons which will significantly reduce the amount of experience they award.

While dungeons should remain integral to our evolving storylines, and great places to collect gear in cooperative environments, we need to make sure each player’s questing progress remains relevant as dungeon quests are completed. In many cases we’re seeing players enter dungeons to complete quests, only to come out ahead of the leveling curve for the zones they’re in.

This change should allow players the opportunity to reap the benefits of running dungeons, while not outpacing the leveling flow from levels 1-60. At this time there are no plans for making any adjustments to dungeon quest experience for Outland, Northrend, and level 80+ Cataclysm dungeons.

You can find a list of all of the latest hotfixes here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1232869

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
Oh come on dude. They don't need to sacrifice anywhere as they have the money to get them all the resources they'd need for sure. They make an absolutely insane amount of money off this game. Enough to fund their new MMO, D3, SC2, and whatever stuff they work on. There's no excuses with the shortcuts or laziness already. For every "zomg that's awesome" there will be at least as many "wtf, why didn't they..." being uttered for sure.

They had enough time to get those two new pets on their store to pay for, oddly enough. I enjoy this game immensely (it still sees the majority of my game time, as my "hours of my life wasted counter" will also tell), but I'm not blind to the shortcomings and shortcuts Blizzard takes, and it's really aggravating knowing that Blizzard CAN fix/resolve these issues/complaints.
Going to have to side with J-Rzez here. It's annoying to see them offering pets for pay at the same time that they are skipping out on the offering of the traditional free pet. This and other annoyances like the corner cutting on the Goblin Mounts are annoying when there's no real reason for the shortchanging and corner cutting that I can see.

Bisnic said:
Hotfix for dungeons quests giving too much XP.
Kinda makes sense. Dungeon XP was so huge that I stopped doing them as much because I was missing out on the new quests. :lol

Flib

Yeah, I was pissed when I tanked SFK at level 20 and came out as 22, then immediately dinged 23. I shelved the remaining azshara quests to do for later where the extra xp won't break my curve.

mcrae

notworksafe said:
Tank, DPS, or Heals? DPS queues are always the longest (15-20+ mins is common). You shouldn't wait around for a dungeon to pop anyway. Be questing or doing something and it'll come up eventually.

DPS, thanks for the estimate.

i remember last time i used something similar to the current system, it would pop you out at the instance/battlegrounds exit, instead of where you started from. it made working on quests a pain cause by the time you arrived back at your quest while waiting for the second group.... the second group would finally be ready and all that travel time was pointless.

notworksafe

Now it puts you back basically where you were before you went into the instance. It'll sometimes move you around so you don't spawn in the middle of a mob pack, but it keeps you close to your original location.

KJTB

I think it's a good thing that they're hotfixing dungeon xp. I think that they should lower quest xp by a little bit. I was outpacing the zones like crazy.

I can understand why people would want to get through the 1-80 grind as quickly as possible though. I'm sure that Blizzard will figure out the right balance for leveling speed eventually.

Retro

notworksafe said:
Going to have to side with J-Rzez here. It's annoying to see them offering pets for pay at the same time that they are skipping out on the offering of the traditional free pet.

Traditional? They had pets for two of their six years. I hardly think that makes it a tradition.

I mean, don't get me wrong; I agree that if you're going to give a pet away two years in a row, you should probably plan on having one every year from then on out. Blizzard knows what kind of community they have and they know damn well how it will react, especially given the latest fallout from the Sparkly Rainbow Pony.

I would have honestly preferred to see one Anniversary pet and one Charity pet each year. But honestly, if they hadn't given pets away at all, would people care that they're selling them in the Blizzard store right now? Didn't seem to be a big problem before.

Personally, I think the Sparkly Rainbow Pony has left a bad taste in peoples' mouth and there was already enough near-panic paranoia about nickel-and-dime schemes in MMOs. Every time Blizzard does something pet/mount related, there's going to be some kind of knee-jerk reaction.

That's just WoW's never-ceases-to-disgust-me community in action and I'm glad this thread manages to avoid sinking to that level.

notworksafe

It's just a bit odd that they put up two pets for sale the day before people were expecting then anniversary pet. Would people care about not getting a free pet if they'd never gotten a free pet?

Retro said:
But honestly, if they hadn't given pets away at all, would people care that they're selling them in the Blizzard store right now? Didn't seem to be a big problem before.
Wasn't a big problem before what? Blizzard was giving away pets before they were selling them. I guess if people had never received a free pet they wouldn't bitch about not getting them, but that isn't the case. They gave a feat and a pet for the 4th and 5th year celebrations, but this year was a feat and a note with a a Deathwing joke. Seems a bit lame to me. I wouldn't be shocked if there was no Christmas gift this year, but they had a polar bear with a santa hat on appear in the Blizzard Store.

Either way that still doesn't excuse the corner cutting with the Goblin mount. Only two of them, barely any sounds (with no idle sound), and no /mountspecial. Well done guys.

EDIT: To be fair, I do have a sparkle pony but I bought mine with in-game gold. Not like that makes it any better. :lol

Angry Grimace

notworksafe said:
The A52 DPS queues are more like 5-6 minutes these days :lol

Weenerz

Banned
I wasted $50 and bought all 5 pets from the store. The Lil Ragnaros is pretty cool. It submerges and follows you when you move away from it.

Retro

notworksafe said:
Wasn't a big problem before what?

Well, they had the Pandaren Monk and Mini KT before, and I don't remember anyone really bitching about those, certainly not at the level people are complaining about the latest pets. They've always given away pets, but the last time they had a bunch for sale, it didn't seem quite so big an issue.

Timing is everything in this case, and like I said, Blizzard has had 6 years at least to figure out the kind of community they have. So they're either don't give a shit or are too stupid to realize how the community would react; neither option puts Blizzard in a good light.

notworksafe said:
Either way that still doesn't excuse the corner cutting with the Goblin mount. Only two of them, barely any sounds (with no idle sound), and no /mountspecial. Well done guys.

I've been on lowbies since The Shattering, so I haven't been on my main or spent much time in the cities to notice this. There's really only the Regular and Epic versions? That does sound pretty shitty, especially when you consider they didn't even have to make any Worgen Mounts.

Yeah, that's some pretty obvious corner-cutting there.

notworksafe

Angry Grimace said:
The A52 DPS queues are more like 5-6 minutes these days :lol
Really? Nice. Our battlegroup (Retaliation) was recently merged with two other ones (Stormstrike and Nightfall) for the Dungeon Finder. Guess it helped!

notworksafe

Retro said:
Timing is everything in this case, and like I said, Blizzard has had 6 years at least to figure out the kind of community they have. So they're either don't give a shit or are too stupid to realize how the community would react; neither option puts Blizzard in a good light.
Agreed. If the timing wasn't so poor this wouldn't be an issue. I rarely use pets so I guess I shouldn't be bitching, but it'd be neat to have a little trinket that the newbies that join for Cataclysm can't get.

Retro said:
I've been on lowbies since The Shattering, so I haven't been on my main or spent much time in the cities to notice this. There's really only the Regular and Epic versions? That does sound pretty shitty, especially when you consider they didn't even have to make any Worgen Mounts.

Yeah there's a Goblin Trike and a Goblin Turbo Trike. That's it. I'm hoping some more will be added with Cataclysm. No color choices is a real bummer.

notworksafe

So? The original plan was for Worgen to have a mount as well. Just because Blizzard can get away with having them run everywhere means they can also screw over Goblins?

Retro said:

Horde overall have made out very well this expansion. The new Goblin zone is amazing. I saw nothing in Gilneas City. Sure there are only 2 new mounts for Horde but Alliance didn't get any at all. I don't care what anyone says that Horde guild mount is total awesome sauce. Scorpion vs Lion? Easy choice. Couple that with the new zones the horde took over and the superior racials and I don't see why anyone would want to be Alliance at all.

The Dark One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom