• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flib

Kind of mindboggling that at this point you would ever want to run those fucking heroics again. We finally have awesome new content, let's not enjoy it!

Aesthet1c

Does anybody know of a good addon to mark targets with? I've been living in the stone age and have been marking targets using the default drop down box. However, with CC becoming a big deal in Cataclysm, it would be nice to have a quick and easy method of marking targets.

Evlar

Banned
Aesthet1c said:
Does anybody know of a good addon to mark targets with? I've been living in the stone age and have been marking targets using the default drop down box. However, with CC becoming a big deal in Cataclysm, it would be nice to have a quick and easy method of marking targets.
No addon needed. You can keybind the Lucky Charms.

Dina

Aesthet1c said:

I started using RaidMobMarkerHUD with some success. Bind to F1, target a mob, press F1, an radial menu appears, click a mark. Right-click removes the mark. One button needed makes it nice, but I would prefer a mouseover radial menu even more.

Aesthet1c

Dina said:
I started using RaidMobMarkerHUD with some success. Bind to F1, target a mob, press F1, an radial menu appears, click a mark. Right-click removes the mark. One button needed makes it nice, but I would prefer a mouseover radial menu even more.

That sounds awesome, thanks. I'd even take some kind of option that was a one key that cycled through all the available marks. I feel like I have way too many keys on my keyboard currently bound to crap that I would have a hard time fitting in 4-5 more for marking stuff.

Anybody who uses the dial in authenticator ever had to use it?

I just tried to log-in and it made me go through the mobile steps. I've done a virus scan and everything is clean--is there any way to find out why I had to use it this time? Same computer I always use...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
All this talk of marking in 5 mans reminds me how i should avoid pugs for the first months.

You know those 2 pulls on the hill in H POS where we should kill the 2 casters that can use that annoying AOE first? I often put skull and X marks on those 2 when i tank, but most of the time 2 DPS dont even bother attacking them. They rather attack first that woman in the middle for no fucking reason or one of the undead i havent marked. Even if i clearly charge the skull mark... Noooo, attack the damn woman instead.

No way im going to deal with these people in Cataclysm.

webrunner

SnakeswithLasers said:

I just tried to log-in and it made me go through the mobile steps. I've done a virus scan and everything is clean--is there any way to find out why I had to use it this time? Same computer I always use...

If it's IP-based it's possible your IP changed depending on your ISP.

Aesthet1c

SnakeswithLasers said:

I could be wrong but if you didn't enable an authenticator, then you could possibly have been hacked. It's common for them to enable an authenticator once they obtain access to an account, making the retreival process more difficult.

Sober

Bisnic said:
All this talk of marking in 5 mans reminds me how i should avoid pugs for the first months.

You know those 2 pulls on the hill in H POS where we should kill the 2 casters that can use that annoying AOE first? I often put skull and X marks on those 2 when i tank, but most of the time 2 DPS dont even bother attacking them. They rather attack first that woman in the middle for no fucking reason or one of the undead i havent marked. Even if i clearly charge the skull mark... Noooo, attack the damn woman instead.

Yeah, I still mark in 5-mans, but I think I only do it because I did that back in TBC, so it's kinda like a 'bad habit' in WotLK.

Like in AN, those skirmishers eventually fixate so I mark a skull, but lo and behold, I have a gigantic threat lead, it doesn't die, and someone calls me an stupid for not holding threat. Yeah, gonna stick with guildies for a while in Cata.

Flib

Bisnic said:

We were having guild discussion re our procedures for raid gearing in cata, and we're just going to schedule heroic runs. We'll want to keep it mostly in guild.

Ridli

Aesthet1c said:
I could be wrong but if you didn't enable an authenticator, then you could possibly have been hacked. It's common for them to enable an authenticator once they obtain access to an account, making the retreival process more difficult.
He would have received an email indicating that an authenticator was being attached though. It's more likely a dynamic IP situation, but only blizzard can tell you exactly why they asked for it.

Aesthet1c said:
No, I have the dial-in authenticator enabled; just never asked me to use it before and I was wondering what was up.

Ridli

The Lamonster said:
Weird question: Are we getting some new macro icons in Cata?

Didn't the previous expansions add new icons?
It's my understanding that most of the Macro icons are just the already existing abilitiy icons. Since we'll have new spells, I'm sure we'll get to use them for macros.

Are there icons that aren't already assigned to an existing ability or effect? I never really dug through them since I usually use #showtooltip, heh.

notworksafe

SnakeswithLasers said:
No, I have the dial-in authenticator enabled; just never asked me to use it before and I was wondering what was up.
If you changed computers or IPs, that would do it. Or your ISP could have renewed your IP and that would do it as well.

Can someone explain to me how this works? If somebody keylogs and gets your password and login-------------what stops them from just logging into your battle.net account instead of your wow account?

I mean, what's the point of putting all of this security on top of your wow login, if they can just log into your battle.net account and change passwords and do all of that jazz?

Furthermore, is there a way to be notified if someone is trying to log into your account? Meaning, if someone tries to login as me, but they get foiled by my authenticator, does blizzard let me know so that I can change my password?

I'm so confused on all of this security!:lol

Flib

SnakeswithLasers said:
Can someone explain to me how this works? If somebody keylogs and gets your password and login-------------what stops them from just logging into your battle.net account instead of your wow account?

I mean, what's the point of putting all of this security on top of your wow login, if they can just log into your battle.net account and change passwords and do all of that jazz?

Furthermore, is there a way to be notified if someone is trying to log into your account? Meaning, if someone tries to login as me, but they get foiled by my authenticator, does blizzard let me know so that I can change my password?

You need to enter your authenticator to get into battle.net

notworksafe

SnakeswithLasers said:

If you have a real authenticator, they have to enter the authenticator numbers to get into WoW/Bnet/SC2/anything else Blizz makes in the future. If you have a dial-in, nothing. They could change all your bnet info, but will still be unable to log into the game to mess with your stuff.

The point of the Dial in Auth is just to have a free way to stop your WoW stuff from being jacked. Otherwise it doesn't really protect you in any way.

And the only time Blizz sends an email is when someone tries to add an authenticator or change your password/email/secret question.

Kraftwerk

I just went ahead and bought the authenticator. My last account was hacked and ultimately closed by blizz. NEVER want to go through that shit again.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
went ahead and bought the digital version of cataclysm. i haven't kept very good care of the BC and WOTLK retail boxes. don't really need another. too bad you don't get something free or a discount. oh well.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
dungeon level changes are interesting
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/138771/dungeon-level-changes

The Cataclysm has wrought changes to many facets of Azeroth and the dungeons found across the world are no exception. As many of the zones throughout the world now have new level ranges, the dungeons within their borders have been adjusted to match, and the items that drop within those dungeons have had their stats changed accordingly.

Here's a list of all 1-60 dungeons and the level range at which each should be explored, followed by the minimum level required for entry in parentheses.

In order by minimum level to enter.

The Deadmines
Level Range: 15-21 (10)

Ragefire Chasm
Level Range: 15-21 (10)

Wailing Caverns
Level Range: 15-25 (10)

Shadowfang Keep
Level Range: 16-26 (11)

Stormwind Stockade
Level Range: 20-30 (15)

Blackfathom Deeps
Level Range: 20-30 (15)

Gnomeregan
Level Range: 24-34 (19)

The Scarlet Monastery - Graveyard
Level Range: 26-36 (21)

The Scarlet Monastery - Library
Level Range: 29-39 (21)

The Scarlet Monastery - Armory
Level Range: 32-42 (21)

The Scarlet Monastery - Cathedral
Level Range: 35-45 (21)

Razorfen Kraul
Level Range: 30-40 (25)

Maraudon - Purple Crystals
Level Range: 30-40 (25)

Maraudon - Orange Crystals
Level Range: 32-42 (25)

Maraudon - Pristine Waters
Level Range: 34-44 (25)

Uldaman
Level Range: 35-45 (30)

Dire Maul - East
Level Range: 36-46 (31)

Scholomance
Level Range: 38-48 (33)

Dire Maul - West
Level Range: 39-49 (34)

Razorfen Downs
Level Range: 40-50 (35)

Dire Maul - North
Level Range: 42-52 (37)

Stratholme - Main Gate
Level Range: 42-52 (37)

Zul'farrak
Level Range: 44-54 (39)

Stratholme - Service Entrance
Level Range: 46-56 (37)

Blackrock Depths - Prison
Level Range: 47-57 (42)

Blackrock Depths - Upper City
Level Range: 51-61 (42)

The Sunken Temple
Level Range: 50-60 (45)

Lower Blackrock Spire
Level Range: 55-65 (48)

Upper Blackrock Spire
Level Range: 55-65 (48)

Kraftwerk said:
I just went ahead and bought the authenticator. My last account was hacked and ultimately closed by blizz. NEVER want to go through that shit again.
All this recent talk of account hacking prompted me to add the mobile authenticator last week. It's nice to piece of mind by having it on my phone and entering it any time I log into B.net, WoW or SC2.

If you have an iPhone or Android phone, just download the app. It's free and so worth it.

I felt like seeing some if the world last night and decided to ride from the Blood Elf lands all the way down to Undercity. While I was rolling through the Eastern Plague Lands, the sky turned orange and Deathwing arrived. Man, he is huge and getting scorched by his fire is awesome. :D

Aesthet1c said:
That is actually really awesome. I really like that they have tuned all the old lvl 60 dungeons to be lower level, so that people will actually get to play them now while they are leveling.
Pretty sure all that has already been implemented.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Aesthet1c said:
That is actually really awesome. I really like that they have tuned all the old lvl 60 dungeons to be lower level, so that people will actually get to play them now while they are leveling.
boo. the dungeon finder is still unlocked at 15 as of right now

Macattk15

I thought I heard they were changing Wailing Caverns? I ran it last night on a low level I created and it was just as painstakingly long and annoying as I remember.

LOVE the changes they made to Sunken Temple however.

Kraftwerk

Macattk15 said:
I thought I heard they were changing Wailing Caverns? I ran it last night on a low level I created and it was just as painstakingly long and annoying as I remember.

LOVE the changes they made to Sunken Temple however.
Yes. Some of the dungeons have only been modified slightly, mainly level and whatnot. Others however have had significant changed. Such as sunken temple and The stockade which holds a surprise boss :D

KJTB

I'm also going to try and avoid pugs in the beginning of cataclysm if I can help it. On my DK I never really got any of the nightmare pugs that people complain about so I thought that people were just kind of exaggerating how bad the LFD can be... that is until I started lvling my druid. It's astounding how horrible some of the pugs I've been stuck in have been. With the difficulty of the cataclysm dungeons, I think I'll spare myself the headache.

Dipindots said:
I'm also going to try and avoid pugs in the beginning of cataclysm if I can help it. On my DK I never really got any of the nightmare pugs that people complain about so I thought that people were just kind of exaggerating how bad the LFD can be... that is until I started lvling my druid. It's astounding how horrible some of the pugs I've been stuck in have been. With the difficulty of the cataclysm dungeons, I think I'll spare myself the headache.
It's been interesting going from retarded hunter not knowing what's going on to #1 DPS mage who is able to instantly spot a bad tank or bad healer.

notworksafe

Flib said:
Mentioned it last page, but can anyone recommend a Mumble hosting service?
MMO-Mumble is the one I use and it's very good. I tried Midnight Gaming but they were terrible. Avoid them at all costs. I had constant technical issues and the billing system they used was just retarded and always cancelled my account the day before the auto-pay system kicked in.

notworksafe

You said the LFG unlocks at 15. The first dungeon is meant for 15. What's the problem here?

Just because you CAN enter doesn't mean a group wants to carry someone that is five levels below the intended level. The lower level to enter is for people that are getting PL dungeon runs by a high level character.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
You said the LFG unlocks at 15. The first dungeon is meant for 15. What's the problem here? Just because you CAN enter doesn't mean a group wants to carry someone that is five levels below the intended level. The lower level to enter is for people that are getting dungeon runs by a high level.
Carry someone? :lol

notworksafe

DeathNote said:
Carry someone? :lol
How is that a foreign concept to you? Someone that is 5+ levels below a dungeon's intended level will be a poor healer/dps/tank compared to people that are an appropriate level for the dungeon. Therefore they will be carried by the rest of the group. That is why they aren't allowed to queue for a dungeon until they are within a suitable level range, but can still enter in order to be taken through by a high level player or group.

Sai-kun

Banned
Oh man, I just tanked for the first time EVER. I'm a druid. :lol That was pretty awesome! I did Deadmines. It's suuuper cool now. It looks almost the same, but plays so much differently from the old one! Loves it.

Sai-kun said:
Oh man, I just tanked for the first time EVER. I'm a druid. :lol That was pretty awesome! I did Deadmines. It's suuuper cool now. It looks almost the same, but plays so much differently from the old one! Loves it.
Tanking is friggin' awesome! It feels great to be the man/woman in charge, leading your group through an instance and taking on all mobs. Love it! Being a protection pally is awesome. So far I haven't had any long queue times for the dungeon finder.

I plan to roll a worgen hunter next week and I already know that I'll miss the pure awesomeness of my blood elf pally.

Right now I do more damage with my protection talent warrior than my fury talent warrior. The difference is like 100 dps and I'm level 78. Am I playing fury wrong or did the new patch just nerf it that much? I did more dps as fury before the patch.

Sai-kun

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:
Tanking is friggin' awesome! It feels great to be the man/woman in charge, leading your group through an instance and taking on all mobs. Love it! Being a protection pally is awesome. So far I haven't had any long queue times for the dungeon finder.

I plan to roll a worgen hunter next week and I already know that I'll miss the pure awesomeness of my blood elf pally.

Yeah it was pretty fun :] Only one person died (and it wasn't me)! It sucks that I don't get Swipe until 36 or something though. It's hard to make sure every target is on me.

notworksafe

Yeah I've been Druid tanking on my Tauren and it's so much fun! I'm not sure which class I'm going to level at 85 now. I love my Paladin to death, but the changes to Paladin tanking and the overall uselessness of Holy Power for the spec has me strongly considering Bear-ing it up at first.

Dilemma!

So I can pre-order the collector's edition from Best Buy (have $30 worth of credit there) and have it shipped, but there's no in-store pickup at the only one near me. Shipping is like 2 days if I pay $10 extra, or 4-8 for free. Amazon, which would have release day delivery is out of stock, so that's no longer an option.

OR, I can make a mad rush to the Best Buy as soon as it opens (9 a.m.) and hope to god that they have a couple of collector's editions in stock on release day. (When I picked up my pre-ordered SC2 collector's edition at about 3 p.m. at a different Best Buy in another state though, so no guarantee of what it's like where I am, they had at least 2 in stock.)

The other options would be to pre-order a CE, then buy a regular on release, but I'd rather not buy Cata twice for the same account. Or pay for the faster shipping, then painfully wait 2 days and just level alts or whatever till it arrives.

I'm thinking my best bet may just be to bum rush the Best Buy early and hope they have one in stock. If they don't, settle for a regular then, and order a CE online if I don't get one I suppose.

Any suggestions?

The GameStop nearby is having a midnight release, but I figured it's kind of pointless to do that, since I couldn't play until 2 a.m. anyway (central time), and I'm (and it) are on a college campus where it's the closest game store by far (bus ride to the Best Buy is about 30 min. one way), so it'd be too busy to even have a hope of a collector's edition that wasn't pre-ordered there already.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
How is that a foreign concept to you? Someone that is 5+ levels below a dungeon's intended level will be a poor healer/dps/tank compared to people that are an appropriate level for the dungeon. Therefore they will be carried by the rest of the group. That is why they aren't allowed to queue for a dungeon until they are within a suitable level range, but can still enter in order to be taken through by a high level player or group.
Because I can still solo the dungeon on my 18 warrior... I don't know why you're acting like this is a raid trying to explain the concept of carrying someone in challenging content.

notworksafe

I don't know you are so dense as to not understand why an average group of players doesn't want someone 5+ levels below the minimum for the content to be in their group when most players burst into tears at the thought of having to pause for 45 seconds during a dungeon.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
I don't know you are so dense as to not understand why an average group of players doesn't want someone 5+ level below the minimum for the content to be in their group.
I don't know why you keep ignoring the state of low level instances. A level 10 is not a weak link in rage fire chasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom