• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Fularu said:
The Van Cleef fight can go rot in hell. The poison part of it anyway

Really? That part totally blew my mind. When we got to the robot portion... and saw the marioesque rotating death gates I was just floored. Then the actual fight with her... wow

Side note, tanking with rend <3

epik

Cindres said:
This. I was so blown away, it came out of nowhere and it was fucking immense.

It sucks that the best looking zone ... also, the zone we've been waiting to see since vanilla is not reachable after the quests are done.

I want to go back and just sit on the stone and just hang out.. as the maelstrom continues to spin.

Chavelo

Zerokku said:
How beefy?

You know... Nice double/quad core CPU, a decent graphics card....

Generally, addons don't bog down your system (maybe your latency time for stuff like recount) but LUI UI happens to have like 50 addons or so going on at the same time. I'd say if you can run WoW at near-Ultra settings then you're good to go. Maybe actually if you have normal settings, too.

Flib

The Lamonster said:
Can someone please check me out and make sure I'm not doing something stupid...

(MM Hunter)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormscale/lamonster/simple

I am just not seeing the DPS I'd like to see and I think my shot rotation is fine.

Hunter's Mark
Serpent Sting
Chimera Shot
Arcane Shot
Steady Shot
Arcane Shot
Chimera Shot
Steady Shot
etc.

Switch to survival. Kills the other specs in dps. If you want to stick with Marksman, remember that you should be steady-shotting twice in a row to keep the haste buff up.

Flib said:
Switch to survival. Kills the other specs in dps. If you want to stick with Marksman, remember that you should be steady-shotting twice in a row to keep the haste buff up.
Yeah my heart is in MM. Thanks that is good to know. Every time I Steady Shot, I will make sure to do it at least twice in a row.

Flib

The Lamonster said:
Yeah my heart is in MM. Thanks that is good to know. Every time I Steady Shot, I will make sure to do it at least twice in a row.

I don't know if it's every time, just check to see how much time the buff has left when you steady. I think it's like 15 sec for duration.

Chavelo said:

Generally, addons don't bog down your system (maybe your latency time for stuff like recount) but LUI UI happens to have like 50 addons or so going on at the same time. I'd say if you can run WoW at near-Ultra settings then you're good to go. Maybe actually if you have normal settings, too.

For reference, I have a 3 year old core 2 6750 with 4 gigs of ram and an ati 4890. Definitely not cutting edge. And I'm running it at 1920x1200.

idlewild_

Azwethinkweiz said:
For reference, I have a 3 year old core 2 6750 with 4 gigs of ram and an ati 4890. Definitely not cutting edge. And I'm running it at 1920x1200.

you don't need a beefy comp to handle a high res, but to have all of the settings maxed (sunspots, shadows, filters, etc.)

ultron87

Flib said:

Survival is so good. None of that rotation nonsense, just "Do I have focus for <insert shot> and is it off cooldown? No?" Repeat with next shot down list with occasionally using Steady for focus or Cobra to keep Serpent up.

PS. I miss Volley, even though Multi-shot and launched Explosive Traps are significantly more effective.

ultron87 said:
Survival is so good. None of that rotation nonsense, just "Do I have focus for <insert shot> and is it off cooldown? No?" Repeat with next shot down list with occasionally using Steady for focus or Cobra to keep Serpent up.

PS. I miss Volley, even though Multi-shot and launched Explosive Traps are significantly more effective.
I might make a secondary Survival spec. What is a good shot priority at level 83-85?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
idlewild_ said:
you don't need a beefy comp to handle a high res, but to have all of the settings maxed (sunspots, shadows, filters, etc.)

Yeah, what kill fps in WoW are shadows & view distance.

I can change every other graphic features and see no change in FPS. But once i touch shadows & view distance, everything is different.

I could play with the highest textures, resolution, and AA you can find with medium shadows and view distance and get 60 FPS. But since i have ultra view distances and high shadows, my FPS can go between 25 and 50 FPS depending on the zone and where i'm looking at.

Anyone remember how to unlock the questlines at Vermillion Redoubt in Twilight Highlands?

I need a Relic from a quest there and the dragons are not talking to me yet...

krypt0nian said:
Anyone remember how to unlock the questlines at Vermillion Redoubt in Twilight Highlands?

I think I got sent there after helping the Earthen Ring with that giant tentacle monster.

ultron87

idlewild_ said:
don't use steady as SV, cobra returns same focus, hits harder and extends SS.

Wow, I could've sworn that the tooltip suggested they gave different amounts of focus. Whelp, that's a new slot on the main bar to fill when I get home.

Flib

krypt0nian said:

You have to do the Iso'rath quests at the Maw of Madness up north.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Chavelo said:

I run everything on high at a steady 60fps. I dip into the high to mid 40s in crowded places like org.

2.34 Core i5
1GB Dedicated Graphics Card
4GB RAM

I mean I know my computer is pretty decent, I just want to make sure I dont bog it down too much.

Weenerz

Banned
I run everything at ultra and it runs just fine.

Core i5 stock
4gb ram
GTX 280

I have v-sync turned off, in Org, it sits around 55-60fps, but out questing I get well over 100 fps.

Athlon X2 4200+
HD 5770.

Usually runs at 60fps at 1280x1024.

Dips to 25-30 in Org.

I switched on DX11 mode and got a nice FPS boost.

Probably my CPU holding me back, I can probably put an Athlon or Phenom II in there.

But yeah shadows and view distance are the FPS killers. I have Ultra everything but I keep shadows and view distance turned down a bit to keep FPS up.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
KernelPanic said:
Athlon X2 4200+
HD 5770.

Usually runs at 60fps at 1280x1024.

Dips to 25-30 in Org.

I switched on DX11 mode and got a nice FPS boost.

Probably my CPU holding me back, I can probably put an Athlon or Phenom II in there.

But yeah shadows and view distance are the FPS killers. I have Ultra everything but I keep shadows and view distance turned down a bit to keep FPS up.

I could probably run everything on ultra if I took my view distance down (I sit in the 40s when I have everything on ultra with my current settings), but I love my view distance. Its so beautiful...

I've known to keep shadows down since I was playing on my old laptop which had a 1.6 Ghz Celeron M, 256MB Integrated Card, and 1GB of Ram...

Yah my current computer was a nice jump to say the least.

Fularu

Banned
Flib said:
How can you dislike the VC fight? It's so good.
I don't think that redoing the whole instance is fun, but that's just me.

The fight itself is entertaining (with the ropes, when they don't bug)

I'm going to get to 84 tonight.

I'm not sure how I want to get to 85, but I might do Twilight Highlands or just let the random dungeon finder ding me while I fly around old world leveling tradeskills. My mining is still at 175 (and my blacksmithing is like 30...but I'll probably drop it for something else, not sure what yet) and I'd like to level archeology and cooking.

Any guesses on how efficient it is to level using dungeons? Assuming the group clears in around 30 minutes--how many bars would I need in those 30 minutes to make it comparable to normal questing?

The Lamonster said:
Can someone please check me out and make sure I'm not doing something stupid...

(MM Hunter)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormscale/lamonster/simple

I am just not seeing the DPS I'd like to see and I think my shot rotation is fine:

Hunter's Mark
Serpent Sting
Chimera Shot
Arcane Shot
Steady Shot
Arcane Shot
Chimera Shot
Steady Shot
etc.

Thoughts?
Any more input? Are my gear choices okay so far? I really want to know if I'm doing something wrong or if MM Hunters just don't get the kind of DPS they used to get.

Flib

The Lamonster said:
Any more input? Are my gear choices okay so far? I really want to know if I'm doing something wrong or if MM Hunters just don't get the kind of DPS they used to get.

MM Hunters are just much lower dps than survival, and you can't really change that.

Manus

SnakeswithLasers said:

I'm not sure how I want to get to 85, but I might do Twilight Highlands or just let the random dungeon finder ding me while I fly around old world leveling tradeskills. My mining is still at 175 (and my blacksmithing is like 30...but I'll probably drop it for something else, not sure what yet) and I'd like to level archeology and cooking.

Any guesses on how efficient it is to level using dungeons? Assuming the group clears in around 30 minutes--how many bars would I need in those 30 minutes to make it comparable to normal questing?

If your just doing level 84 dungeons than you won't get alot. Maybe 2 bars. Questing is the way to go to get to 85 fast.

KJTB

SnakeswithLasers said:

I would suggest just questing. You get tons of gold, pretty nice upgrades, and you get to see some pretty cool quest chains. Leveling 84-85 from just dungeons would honestly take forever.

KJTB

Rapstah said:
Holy shit at the Twilight Highlands questing around Grim Batol, these are arguably the best quests ever.

Dude I know, they're so awesome. I was really surprised to see the quality of the Twilight Highlands quest in general... the wedding :lol

Rapstah

Dipindots said:
Dude I know, they're so awesome. I was really surprised to see the quality of the Twilight Highlands quest in general... the wedding :lol
That actually surprised me!

A bit odd though (Grim Batol chain spoilers):
The cut scene ended with the dragon guy throwing Alexstrazsa on my dragon and telling me to run while he'd slow down Deathwing, but then the cut scene ended and I apparently had already left her to safety and he had somehow survived delaying Deathwing. It felt like a bunch of quests were missing!

Dipindots said:
I would suggest just questing. You get tons of gold, pretty nice upgrades, and you get to see some pretty cool quest chains. Leveling 84-85 from just dungeons would honestly take forever.
Sad face. I like dungeons more than quests.

Flib

SnakeswithLasers said:

You have much dungeon grinding ahead of you, don't worry. You want to get to heroics as fast as possible, so do quests. 84-85 doesn't take that long.

Fularu

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
I grinded dungeons from 81 to 83 (goes extremely fast in the lvl 83 dungeons) then I just quested in Hyjal, Deepholme and Vashj'ir and saved Uldum/TH and a third of Vashj'ir for 85.

I made an insane amount of gold that way (which is fine because 1k belt buckles... ugh..)

J-Rzez

Rapstah said:
Holy shit at the Twilight Highlands questing around Grim Batol, these are arguably the best quests ever.

I've been saying that it was the best leveling zone ever in WoW, and perhaps in all MMOs for a reason now. Glad more people are seeing this finally.

Dina

Did HC BRC today, pretty easy apart from 3rd and 4th boss. 3rd boss was all on me as a tank, but man having 1 cc at The Beast can be killing.

Then HC Stonecore. Again pretty easy, but somehow we managed to wipe 10 times on Ozruk. Shifting to cat on those shatters is a godsend, however.

Then HC Tol'Vir. That one is just easymode all around. No hard boss among em. Gotten a few good items, too. Could use some more proper cat dps items, however.

Alex

Holy Paladins just got hotfix nerfed pretty good, but everyone saw this coming. Still, with the Paladin community what it is, the outrage and tears will be quite high.

These hotfixes were intentional and we wanted to share more information about the "why" for you all here:

Mana is supposed to matter for healers, and in the case of Holy paladins, that just wasn’t happening. We were seeing raid groups attempting to learn new bosses where the other healers were out of mana while the paladins were still at 90% of mana. We also thought the experience of paladins healing harder heroic dungeons was inconsistent with that of other healers, or our design intent. We thought it was only a matter of time before groups started going out of their way to stack paladins for raids or recruit them for dungeon runs, which of course is not our intent. For this reason, we thought it was important to address this point now rather than sitting on it until a future patch.

The main culprit for the increased paladin efficiency this was Holy Power from Tower of Radiance. We were seeing a strategy develop where paladins would cast Holy Light on a Beaconed tank, and then cast Light of Dawn on the raid (and use very few other spells). This strategy was remarkably successful considering how simple it is. The Holy Power-based heals are supposed to be an important component of the paladin kit, but because Holy Light is designed to be super efficient, the overall strategy was too efficient. The intent of Tower of Radiance was to make directly healing a Beacon of Light target less punitive, but instead it was becoming the only smart way to play. You can still generate Holy Power by using Flash of Light or Divine Light on a Beaconed target, or through a variety of other ways. Remember, overall it isn’t balanced if paladins are just as mana efficient as other healers and have several mana-free spells.

Light of Dawn was adjusted because it was completely eclipsing Word of Glory. We lowered the healing of Word of Glory late in development, but also redesigned Light of Dawn. They had fallen out of sync, and Light of Dawn was just too good.

Dina

cuevas said:
I'm trying to remake my old ui but I can't remember what some of my old stuff was. A cluttered shot here (lol12fps) but I can't find another shot.

-What is the cooldown bar above my hotkeys?
-What are my character bars?
-Buff bars on the right?

Thanks if anyone recognizes the mods!

- Cooldown is either Cooline/Coolline or EventGhost. There's more addons like it, so look around on similar addons on vranx.com or curse.com
- By characterbars you mean your own health/manabar? Again it rings a bell somewhere. I think it is Pitbull.
- Buffbar on the right can be a lot, but it looks like Elkano's BuffBar. Pretty sure that's what it is

Tamanon

Banned
Yesterday saw a slew of hotfixes, but it appears that today's maintenance has added a stealth buff to archaeology. Previously, all surveys in an area were only allowing three fragments per successful survey, making the archaeology grind a little long. Today, it appears that surveying an area is allowing anywhere from three to six fragments per survey, a substantial buff for those trying to complete artifacts at a speedy pace.

While there has been no official blue post regarding the change, it has been verified in game. For more information about the archaeology profession and how to get started, check out our Archaeology 101 video, courtesy of Robin Torres.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/12/14/archaeology-receives-stealth-buff/#comments

Hallelujah!

My Dorf Warrior has archaeology at 245 right now at level 55. Good to see an improvement, although I'm probably just going to use archaeology to level through most of Outland, lol.

Dina said:
- Cooldown is either Cooline/Coolline or EventGhost. There's more addons like it, so look around on similar addons on vranx.com or curse.com
- By characterbars you mean your own health/manabar? Again it rings a bell somewhere. I think it is Pitbull.
- Buffbar on the right can be a lot, but it looks like Elkano's BuffBar. Pretty sure that's what it is

It wasn't coolline but its close enough, the other two were right on. Thanks!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Alex said:
Shaman/Druid should be their target point. Priests up a bit, Paladins down a bit.
That's okay, they just removed the spell power coefficient from Light of Dawn for some unknown reason.

SquirrelNuckle said:
Loving it so far. My 85 DK who is unholy is pulling around 11k DPS. Just one more piece of gear and I'm able to do heroics.

As dual wield frost, I can do upwards of 14k on trash (if I don't have to worry much about CC), and a little less on bosses (~11-12k.) Feels good. Haven't taken him out tanking much yet even though that's my main spec, since I'm still powering through reputations and the like so I won't feel so squishy. It's hard considering I've almost always been an overgeared tank since about July of 2009. :lol

Oh, and thank god for the archeology buff. That shit was WAY too grindy before. This buff is just about what it needed, I think.

I posted a SS of my UI earlier when I dinged 85, but here is an annotated version (including many of the addons that aren't visible). Some addons I change (e.g. Grid for healers) on other characters, or use new addons completely (TotemTimers on my shaman, for example, useless on other classes.) There are more addons I use occasionally that I don't have enabled at the moment as well, but this was my post 4.01 UI - I intend to change it fairly soon as I think it could use some more refinement - I'll post another SS of that when I'm done. Big linky below.

http://imgur.com/7f3Hh.jpg

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
As dual wield frost, I can do upwards of 14k on trash (if I don't have to worry much about CC), and a little less on bosses (~11-12k.) Feels good. Haven't taken him out tanking much yet even though that's my main spec, since I'm still powering through reputations and the like so I won't feel so squishy. It's hard considering I've almost always been an overgeared tank since about July of 2009. :lol

Oh, and thank god for the archeology buff. That shit was WAY too grindy before. This buff is just about what it needed, I think.
I keep avoiding frost because insane hit cap. Sell me on it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom