• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
SnakeswithLasers said:
I don't know how much of a nerd you want to be, but I just go to youtube and search for the dungeon before I run it (I do this on spare time when I'm not actually playing). There's usually a quick video of a run complete with commentary about what the encounters entail. It's not a substitute for actual experience, but it'll give you enough to go in with.

Not much of a stretch for me, I been doing this for raids for most of WOTLK :lol

I'll just queue up as DPS I think.

Jin

J-Rzez said:
When I tank, I only roll on tank gear unless nobody wants it, and I'll ask if I can take it for O/S. When I DPS, it goes the other way around. I maybe a prick sometimes to people with smart-ass comments, but I'm not going to nearly ninja-loot, on principle.

This is what I'm currently doing. I ask because I was nearly screwed over three times in a single day. Strangely, it's from the same dungeon. I tank the first run. Tanking leggings drop from the last boss. The dps pally rolled on it even though he got a dps gear from the earlier boss. The second run I queue as dps. A dps plate leggings drop. DK tank rolled on it. Third run, a axe drop from the boss. Pally tank rolled on it. Luckily I won all three times, but it still annoys me when people do that and it gives me an impression that it's a free for all and nobody cares.

DeathNote said:
Yeah but what's the point of letting my alts wear it for a few levels?:lol
Man, I aint got no idea. :lol

I'm bummed that Heirloom gear is now tied to your guild and Archaeology is giving out strangely itemized alt-gear.

Guess it's time to join a guild, but since I'm a compulsive alt leveler, I'm not sure if I can find a guild that is going to be high enough level that would even take me.

I much preferred grinding heroics for heirlooms.

KJTB

I'm so lost in the game now hahaha, I have no idea what to do.

I've been doing random BG's to get some honor for when pvp gear comes out... also have been running some random dungeons to get some gear. I understand the GS requirement for heroics but it is kind of a pain to hit the level they want when most of the loot tables for the dungeons don't drop gear to get you there... do I really have to get rep gear to be heroic ready? :/

Dipindots said:

I've been doing random BG's to get some honor for when pvp gear comes out... also have been running some random dungeons to get some gear. I understand the GS requirement for heroics but it is kind of a pain to hit the level they want when most of the loot tables for the dungeons don't drop gear to get you there... do I really have to get rep gear to be heroic ready? :/

You dont need rep gear to be ready. Im able to do heroics on my holy paladin and im no higher than honored with any of the factions in Cata.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Dipindots said:

i got heroic ready mostly from quest rewards, particularly quests at the end of the chain that lead you to the dungeon in places like uldum and twilight highlands. bought some crafted bracers off the AH, one rep item from earthern ring (got to honored from quests and then to revered from the tabard), one rep item from hyjal (i started with vashj'ir at launch, so just went back at 85 and smashed out some quests till i hit honored), some lucky drops in halls of origination and tol'vir, and bam... heroic ready.

i'd suggest focusing on halls of origination, tol'vir and grim batol as they drop ilvl 333 gear, which you want to hit the gear requirement of 329.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Is there a way to remove the party frames?

I just got VuhDo and like those frames a lot--but I just want to remove my normal party frames.

VuhDo can hide the default party frames. On the general tab press the "Misc" button on the right and you should see a menu that lets you hide all the different default unit frames.

SuperLurker said:
VuhDo can hide the default party frames. On the general tab press the "Misc" button on the right and you should see a menu that lets you hide all the different default unit frames.
Didn't see that. I'll take a look for it later--thanks!

Man, I've been looking at the pre-heroic tank gear list and looks like 80% of it comes from HoO. Any tips on when I can start tanking it? Should I wait for 85 or is 84 ok?

I'm 83 and 3/4 right now and about to finish with Deepholm and then head to Twilight Highlands for questing, but not sure which instances I should add to my random queue.

Flib

84 is fine for HoR, though as always it helps if you know the healer. HoO has a few slightly tough pulls at the beginning (4 or so) but is mostly bosses (7 in total). One of the easier instances in my opinion.

notworksafe

Zerokku said:
You are correct. Though I'm not sure if it was around previously, but theres a ledge with an unopenable (as in its just a texture) door thats only accessible by flying mount.

Thought that was probably there before and just me hoping we'll see lower/reverse kara someday.
That was supposed to be the Kara flight path to get from the bottom to the top, but Blizzard put in a teleport to Aran instead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
Can you get Zin'rokh, Destroyer of Worlds to pop at 450 before you get to level 85?
Yes, but the odds of getting Zin'rokh as your item in any case is like 1%.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
notworksafe said:
That was supposed to be the Kara flight path to get from the bottom to the top, but Blizzard put in a teleport to Aran instead.

No below that. Its between the ground and that little section youre talking about with the gryphons.

scoobs

Hey someone posted a link to arena junkies DK guide. Anyone have that link? Can't find it by googling and I need to look at their list of best in slots.

notworksafe

Zerokku said:
No below that. Its between the ground and that little section youre talking about with the gryphons.
You mean the back door? I'll have to fly over there and see what you are talking about.

EDIT: Found it. Not sure what that's supposed to be, unless it's there to represent the outside walkway on which you fight Nightbane.

EDIT 2: Couldn't be that walkway, as that's on the opposite side. It's probably The Master's Terrace, from this quest: http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:The_Master's_Terrace (as seen from outside the instance, of course)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Lol that Wildhammer wedding in Twilight Highlands sure was something. Crazy dwarves. I expected something to happen during the wedding, but not this.

BEST! WEDDING! EVAR! *hic*

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
notworksafe said:
You mean the back door? I'll have to fly over there and see what you are talking about.

EDIT: Found it. Not sure what that's supposed to be, unless it's there to represent the outside walkway on which you fight Nightbane.

EDIT 2: Couldn't be that walkway, as that's on the opposite side. It's probably The Master's Terrace, from this quest: http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:The_Master's_Terrace (as seen from outside the instance, of course)

Probably.

Regardless, I do hope we see something with Lower/Reverse Kara some day.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zerokku said:
Probably.

Regardless, I do hope we see something with Lower/Reverse Kara some day.
The whole tower upside down Castlevania style would be so rad.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Dance In My Blood said:
The whole tower upside down Castlevania style would be so rad.

Not to mention how ridiculously fucked up its supposed to be. Hell even barebones stuff thats already in the game, specifically, Upside Down Sinner's Room tends to shock people.

Speaking of, wonder if they finally completely sealed the entrance down to the crypts.

hamchan

Do most people do instances while they're leveling up or do they wait until they're max level then do heroics? I'm a lvl 83 death knight but haven't done an instance yet and I kinda don't want to be a fail tank to any groups, which I know I will be since I don't have any experience as a tank. So now I'm kinda scared to do an instance.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
hamchan said:
Do most people do instances while they're leveling up or do they wait until they're max level then do heroics? I'm a lvl 83 death knight but haven't done an instance yet and I kinda don't want to be a fail tank to any groups, which I know I will be since I don't have any experience as a tank. So now I'm kinda scared to do an instance.
There's an average gear level requirement. I guess it could be met with craftable gear, don't know. It'd be in your best interest to look up the fights online and practice normal mode. Probably should do it as dps first as well.

hamchan

DeathNote said:
There's an average gear level requirement. I guess it could be met with craftable gear, don't know. It'd be in your best interest to look up the fights online and practice normal mode. Probably should do it as dps first as well.

Are normal mode dungeons generally easy to get through?

Hit 85 tonight. Still lots of questing to do in Twilight Hinterlands and I haven't started Uldum yet. Looking forward to running dungeons, getting my reputations up, and leveling my professions though. And raiding when it starts of course.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
hamchan said:
Are normal mode dungeons generally easy to get through?

Haven't done them. All I can say is green quest gear will prepare you for normal dungeons and you should run as DPS and read up on the bosses then practice. No reason to try and jump into heroics as an unexperienced tank.

Instant queues are nice, but it can take a week or two to be ready to utilize them as a beginner tank.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Almost done with the Twilight Highlands quests. Pretty awesome zone!

I love it when they send you near the Maelstorm with Thrall while Deathwing is killing all the shamans around and Thrall telling me to kill Deathwing and calling me useless while i stand there doing nothing.
:lol Should have taken some screenshot for this quest. :( Ah well, maybe on my next alt!

Also. This : http://imgur.com/Vzz4M.jpg

Epic stuff.

J-Rzez

Bisnic said:

Best questing zone ever in a MMO, easily.

But there's something that has really-really pissed me off, and that's the queue throttling in Tol Barad. I'm in the zone questing, I queue up right away, I don't get in. My guildies who queue up with 1 min before the battle starts, in org, get in. This has happened every-single time now, and it's getting really tiring.

Listen, I'm sorry all the ally transferred off this server, and the one's that are left suck, but my paying gameplay experience should not be crippled due to other people of another faction being short people, and/or just not interested in doing it. It's probably easily the dumbest idea they ever had for this game. I remember them saying "they'll monitor it", but it's going to take forever to get a fix.

Twig

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Best questing zone ever in a MMO, easily.

But there's something that has really-really pissed me off, and that's the queue throttling in Tol Barad. I'm in the zone questing, I queue up right away, I don't get in. My guildies who queue up with 1 min before the battle starts, in org, get in. This has happened every-single time now, and it's getting really tiring.

Listen, I'm sorry all the ally transferred off this server, and the one's that are left suck, but my paying gameplay experience should not be crippled due to other people of another faction being short people, and/or just not interested in doing it. It's probably easily the dumbest idea they ever had for this game. I remember them saying "they'll monitor it", but it's going to take forever to get a fix.
Horde is at a severe disadvantage on my server in terms of numbers, and I'd still gladly take the old way of doing it over the new queue thing.

Kind of defeats the goddamn purpose of a WORLD PVP zone.

Retro

J-Rzez said:
Listen, I'm sorry all the ally transferred off this server, and the one's that are left suck, but my paying gameplay experience should not be crippled due to other people of another faction being short people, and/or just not interested in doing it.

This is nothing new.

My home server (Ursin-US) used to be a notorious PVP server, even by PVP server-standards, and though the population was slightly more balanced, the Horde on Ursin was pretty fucking brutal.

Eventually, the Alliance got tired of getting trampled in every BG (except low-level WSG, that was always theirs for some reason), especially AV, and via the forums started a server-wide boycott. BG queue times went through the roof (2-3 hours wasn't uncommon) and when they did pop, it was usually a completely hollow victory or a complete turtlefest.

Eventually, the Horde players got sick of it and started migrating to other servers, and when cross-realm BGs launched, Ursin ended up lumped in with a bunch of scrubby PVE servers and things were never the same. I don't recall Blizzard ever saying anything about Ursin specifically, but if I recall correctly their general attitude was "We can't MAKE them PVP".... so at least "we'll monitor it" is an improvement, though probably complete bullshit as usual :lol .

I'd honestly welcome Horde v Horde BGs, hopefully this new Wargames thing is the first hint of that.

Evlar

Banned
DeathNote said:
Just got this quest to make Figurine - Earthen Guardian: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28776

Is there anything else like this for JC?
Looks like there's also a Demon Panther (+Hit, +Agil), Dream Owl (+Int, +Spi), Jeweled Serpent (+Int, +SP), and King of Boars (+Mastery, +Str). Based on a cursory Wowhead search. All with a similar mechanic: random world drop item starting a quest requiring level 81 and 475 JC.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Evlar said:
Looks like there's also a Demon Panther (+Hit, +Agil), Dream Owl (+Int, +Spi), Jeweled Serpent (+Int, +SP), and King of Boars (+Mastery, +Str). Based on a cursory Wowhead search. All with a similar mechanic: random world drop item starting a quest requiring level 81 and 475 JC.
hm, the mob it dropped from had a red name tag.

Its been over 14 months since I've touched wow. This is the second extended break I have taken. I just can't stay away...what the hell is wrong with me?

I just paid to make my pally a tauren...this is just bad news bears. I will be hardcore raiding whenever that gets started even though I know that's a slippery slope. 3 raid nights for 5 hours? Okay that's fine. Hey did you farm your mats? Hey want to come on this alt 10 man? Hey want to waste another few months trying to get server firsts? Want to leave your friends you enjoy playing with just to get more gear? You fucking loot whore.

I hate wow

Atomski

Think I may need to reroll dps.. Ive been tanking lately and I feel like I am becoming extremely frustrated by bad dps. Failing to cc, breaking cc, failing to interrupt, hitting wrong target, running away when they have agro, and standing in crap. I am usually a very calm person but I feel so freaking irritated for some reason.

I loved tanking before because of playing with friends but unfortunately the xpac was not enough for them to stop playing star craft :(.

Thought about going fury but not having any cc makes me feel worthless.

scoobs

jesus christ the 3rd boss of heroic blackrock caverns or whatever its called is literally impossible. Karsh steelbenderr? Absolutely ludicrous.

scoobs said:
jesus christ the 3rd boss of heroic blackrock caverns or whatever its called is literally impossible. Karsh steelbenderr? Absolutely ludicrous.

It's all about the tank controlling the amount of debuffs on the boss. Our tank will let the boss gain one debuff, take him out of the fire, put him back in the stack to 2, and so on until the debuff gets to about 9 or 10 then he lets it drop.

Tacitus_

funkmastergeneral said:
It's all about the tank controlling the amount of debuffs on the boss. Our tank will let the boss gain one debuff, take him out of the fire, put him back in the stack to 2, and so on until the debuff gets to about 9 or 10 then he lets it drop.

Absolutely the easiest way to do this is to never let the debuff drop (according to a guildie). He only spawns the adds when his armor debuff drops off so if you just kinda dance into the fire with him a bit before his debuff is done, you'll get nothing but the aoe splash every 10~ seconds or so and the tank stays healable since there's no adds at all. Might even get the achievement for it.

And maaaaan, the new raids are FUN. Pretty much all are execution fests and it makes me nostalgic for BC raids and BWL. You really need to figure out the mechanics to down the bosses, at least now in the intended gear levels.

So far we've downed (in 10m mode since we're waiting for others to level and gear up): Omnitron Defense System, Halfus Wyrmbreaker, Valiona and Theralion, Magmaw, Conclave of Wind, in that order.
Will propably down a boss or two this night in BWL since we got the alchemist dragonman fight to a manageable level after going from 3 healers to 2. Eased a lot on the damage and our healers claimed that it's still manageable. Didn't see the burn phase at the end yet, but I'd figure we'll see it tonight.

DeathNote said:
hm, the mob it dropped from had a red name tag.
that just means you have a quest relatign to that mob..

that is all.. its totally random.. I have all but the mastery/str one.

God damn.. Heroics are like.. 10/25 man raids in wipes.. haha

I'm struggling to get some of the bosses down.. I havent finished a heroic yet.. though I think Im getting knocked into some of the hardest ones.

Tacitus_ said:
Absolutely the easiest way to do this is to never let the debuff drop (according to a guildie). He only spawns the adds when his armor debuff drops off so if you just kinda dance into the fire with him a bit before his debuff is done, you'll get nothing but the aoe splash every 10~ seconds or so and the tank stays healable since there's no adds at all. Might even get the achievement for it.

And maaaaan, the new raids are FUN. Pretty much all are execution fests and it makes me nostalgic for BC raids and BWL. You really need to figure out the mechanics to down the bosses, at least now in the intended gear levels.

So far we've downed (in 10m mode since we're waiting for others to level and gear up): Omnitron Defense System, Halfus Wyrmbreaker, Valiona and Theralion, Magmaw, Conclave of Wind, in that order.
Will propably down a boss or two this night in BWL since we got the alchemist dragonman fight to a manageable level after going from 3 healers to 2. Eased a lot on the damage and our healers claimed that it's still manageable. Didn't see the burn phase at the end yet, but I'd figure we'll see it tonight.

I'm jealous - still waiting for a bunch of people in my guild to hit 85 and get decent enough gear (I happen to have acceptable raiding gear as dps and tank right now). The GM also hasn't been playing yet since he has grad school exams. In the meantime, I've been making money, and grinding reps up. Got Guardians of Hyjal to exalted earlier today - nice tank cloak and epic dps belt (actually bought two of those and reforged the crit off one for a decent tank belt as well.)

Also been leveling my other two 80+ toons, as well as starting to build up the two lowbies I had started with 4.03. Mage is 50, pally 41.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Bisnic said:

I love it when they send you near the Maelstorm with Thrall while Deathwing is killing all the shamans around and Thrall telling me to kill Deathwing and calling me useless while i stand there doing nothing.
:lol Should have taken some screenshot for this quest. :( Ah well, maybe on my next alt!

Also. This : http://imgur.com/Vzz4M.jpg

Epic stuff.

This. I was so blown away, it came out of nowhere and it was fucking immense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom