• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So a friend insisted i come back for Cataclysm and bought me the xpac and a timecard (the same one that did the scroll of res). i got off to a really bad start with the god damn queue to get into Battlenet so i really did try my best to enjoy the game. What can i say? Its boring.

+ Some quests have fun mechanics. Some examples would be the final quest of Maximillian in Un'Goro or the fight with Rag in Hyjal. There is usually one per totally redone Azeroth zone.. maybe two for the new zones out of 100+ per. The problem is..

- Most quests are the same braindead stuff that people come to loathe once they either see it more than once or they dont give good rewards. Its the same reason why most people loved the questing in TBC/WotLK but hate it now.. shiny and new=good.

- Tol Barad. Broken garbage. Makes Silithus PVP seem like compelling gameplay. The entire concept behind it is retarded. How TB made it past beta in this state is beyond me. Way too difficult for Offense to win (never seen it done). Defense has every advantage which is really dumb in a game with competing sides (to see the zone turn over to give the other side a chance). Add in the fact that the dailies from controlling TB reset with each TB win and one side has exclusive control of a PVP instance (Blizzard are failures when it comes to PVP balance.. if they ran Nascar or F1, the winning race team would have access to spec their car out beyond what the losers were allowed). If you want to win TB my strategy is to queue up as opposite faction and farm herbs. Its hands-down the best strat for TB in its present state since team sizes are equalized.

- Linear questing. It has its advantages but then you come across what happened to me in Deepholm. Complete a quest out of order and quest givers are phased out so you cannot interact. Ticket has been open for 4 days and it looks like my 47 out of how many hundred plus quests achievement is going to stay that way for some time.

- Beta in Live. i understand online games change.. but is asking for no stealth changes to class mechanics that totally redo a spec too much to ask for? im playing a holy paladin and the changes made have rendered our healing mechanic basically worthless. i know all other healers are happy that paladins were nerfed or whatever but the changes here were way overboard. i dont mind having to drink between fights and manage mana but what happened here would be as if Rogues were OP and Blizzard made Combo points twice as hard to accumulate in addition to lowering damage. In a way its my fault because i should have known better than to pick something that is "new" to Wow.

Anyway.. basically the new zones look pretty but i doubt ill be logging in on my free two months much, let alone actually purchasing time for it.

water_wendi said:
- Beta in Live. i understand online games change.. but is asking for no stealth changes to class mechanics that totally redo a spec too much to ask for? im playing a holy paladin and the changes made have rendered our healing mechanic basically worthless. i know all other healers are happy that paladins were nerfed or whatever but the changes here were way overboard. i dont mind having to drink between fights and manage mana but what happened here would be as if Rogues were OP and Blizzard made Combo points twice as hard to accumulate in addition to lowering damage. In a way its my fault because i should have known better than to pick something that is "new" to Wow.

The changes were not that bad as I did not even notice Holy Paladins were changed while healing a heroic last night, I found out when I came online and saw bitching today.

water_wendi said:

Anyway.. basically the new zones look pretty but i doubt ill be logging in on my free two months much, let alone actually purchasing time for it.

So you would rather Blizzard leave in mechanics that make a healer leaps and bounds ahead of the other 3? That's just a terrible idea. The holy paladins in my guild had absolutely no issue adjusting yesterday.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
funkmastergeneral said:
So you would rather Blizzard leave in mechanics that make a healer leaps and bounds ahead of the other 3? That's just a terrible idea. The holy paladins in my guild had absolutely no issue adjusting yesterday.
Ah well maybe its a gear thing. i was doing fine one instance and the next instance i caused us to wipe. At least change the fucking tooltips.

Flib

I ran heroic deadmines with one of our pallys who just started healing for the first time in his career two days ago. Absolutely no healing issues, and the dude isn't even experienced. Sounds like you need to adjust.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Flib said:
I ran heroic deadmines with one of our pallys who just started healing for the first time in his career two days ago. Absolutely no healing issues, and the dude isn't even experienced. Sounds like you need to adjust.
i already have. Its closer to old holy paladin healing now. Would just be nice if a heads-up or patch note was given. Stealth changes to how base class mechanics work is acceptable during beta but annoying as fuck in a live game. Especially since hotfixes dont show up on tool-tips.

Ferrio

Banned
Ran three other heroics, was cake compared to deadmines. Also redid my talents, victory rush talent+glyph in those boss fights rocks.

Flib

Ferrio said:
Ran three other heroics, was cake compared to deadmines. Also redid my talents, victory rush talent+glyph in those boss fights rocks.

As much as I love Deadmines and think it's the best new heroic, I'm getting kind of annoyed that it keeps popping up for me. It just takes a while and Ripsnarl can be exhausting with low burst dps classes. Many of the other heroics are breezy in comparison.

TurtleSnatcher said:
You mean your bags are 329.. Blizz goes by item lvl via whats in your bags and equipped.. :|

Really? So if I'm carrying a bunch of low level stuff that's not equipped it hurts my item level? I have a set of Prot gear in my bags that's completely unattended too. Mostly 272 stuff. I don't have a Prot spec so it's just sitting in there for my reference. That hurts my item level?

Rapstah

ToyMachine228 said:
Really? So if I'm carrying a bunch of low level stuff that's not equipped it hurts my item level? I have a set of Prot gear in my bags that's completely unattended too. Mostly 272 stuff. I don't have a Prot spec so it's just sitting in there for my reference. That hurts my item level?
No, only higher level stuff. At least that's the intention.

notworksafe

ToyMachine228 said:
They take the highest ilvl piece for each slot and average that. I believe it checks by spec as well. i.e. if you are holy it looks at int gear, if you are prot it looks at stam/avoidance gear, etc.

Ferrio

Banned
notworksafe said:
They take the highest ilvl piece for each slot and average that. I believe it checks by spec as well. i.e. if you are holy it looks at int gear, if you are prot it looks at stam/avoidance gear, etc.

From my testing it doesn't seem to care about spec. I had a couple items I kept in my bags just to get my item lvl to acceptable levels.

Cyrillus

notworksafe said:

This doesn't seem to be the case, unless it doesn't differentiate between tank gear and plate dps gear. I haven't tested it on a caster yet.

Dresden said:
I was going to go resto at 85, but enhancement is way too much fun.

Word dude, and we're doing awesome damage right now. The only problem is we need to hit both the spell hit cap (around 1700ish) and the expertise cap (around 500 or so). It's a pain in the god damn neck.

Evlar

Banned
Glad to hear Enhance is doing so well. I have a Dwarf Shaman at 40 leveling up with Enhance and would like to keep that spec, if possible, at max level. It's a ton of fun.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Has anyone else found that blizzard has forgotten about some quest hubs in any zones? Take Tanaris for example. I did everything except the 1 quest for ZF and i was stuck at 39/40 quests for the tanaris quest achievement. No one at any of the hubs had any other quests, none that said "Go here and talk to xyz etc". Usually when i get that zone quest achievement i figure i've done just about every quest possible, so i move on to the next zone.

However i noticed that i must have had 30% of tanaris still to explore and looking back other zones may have been the same way. Since i was on my way to ungoro i figured why the hell not, let's check what's down in the corner. There was a little quest hub with 7 or 8 quests all really easy and quick to do, Near the ruins of uldum. It gave me ~70% of level 49 as well.

Usually blizzard has been good at connecting hubs together with go see a certain person at this location style quest, Maybe they just forgot about this one. Makes me wonder if i've missed anything else while leveling.

evlcookie said:
Has anyone else found that blizzard has forgotten about some quest hubs in any zones? Take Tanaris for example. I did everything except the 1 quest for ZF and i was stuck at 39/40 quests for the tanaris quest achievement. No one at any of the hubs had any other quests, none that said "Go here and talk to xyz etc". Usually when i get that zone quest achievement i figure i've done just about every quest possible, so i move on to the next zone.

However i noticed that i must have had 30% of tanaris still to explore and looking back other zones may have been the same way. Since i was on my way to ungoro i figured why the hell not, let's check what's down in the corner. There was a little quest hub with 7 or 8 quests all really easy and quick to do, Near the ruins of uldum. It gave me ~70% of level 49 as well.

Usually blizzard has been good at connecting hubs together with go see a certain person at this location style quest, Maybe they just forgot about this one. Makes me wonder if i've missed anything else while leveling.

I had a breadcrumb quest to that hub near Uldum when leveling my druid, you must have just missed it. Or maybe it was horde only? I don't know...

Macattk15

DeathNote said:
wtf.

i dinged 84, haven't done Blackrock Caverns yet, and it disappeared from my normal selection?

It is an entry level instance. Throne of the Tides will disappear at 85.

edit : well maybe throne disappears at 84 too then since you edited that it also has.

DeathNote said:
wtf.

i dinged 84, haven't done Blackrock Caverns or Throne of the Tides yet, and they disappeared from my normal selection?
At least you can revisit them a million times when you're doing Heroics next level!

webrunner

Macattk15 said:
It is an entry level instance. Throne of the Tides will disappear at 85.

edit : well maybe throne disappears at 84 too then since you edited that it also has.

Wasn't this JUST changed?
The Looking For Dungeon random bracket for Throne of the Tides and Blackrock Caverns has been changed from level 80-81 to 80-82, and the specific bracket has been changed from level 80-83 to 80-85.

From the new hotfix notes.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Once you hit level 15, their intention is for players to always have random or specific dungeons possible to do. Right now.. I cannot do any at all. I'm 100% locked out. It's a flaw in the design and you can't argue otherwise.

webrunner said:
Wasn't this JUST changed?

From the new hotfix notes.

That sounds like a fix but I'm locked at 84.

ultron87

DeathNote said:
Once you hit level 15, their intention is for players to always have random or specific dungeons possible to do. Right now.. I cannot do any at all. I'm 100% locked out. It's a flaw in the design and you can't argue otherwise.

Are you just locked out because you haven't visited some of the dungeon entrances?

DeathNote said:

I did random dungeons at level 84. Aren't there like three that are in the range of 84-85? I think you're starting to take the mantle of most annoying whiner from Jrzez

webrunner

DeathNote said:

I think hotfixes require a server restart, so it might be that?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
I did random dungeons at level 84. Aren't there like three that are in the range of 84-85? I think you're starting to take the mantle of most annoying whiner from Jrzez
I don't meet the gear requirements because I leveled by arch/mining.

After getting one character to 85 in quests, I'm trying to see how long it takes to get my 2nd 85 by just archaeology and herbalism. It's almost as fast as questing so far.

Macattk15

DeathNote said:

Go unlock Vortex Pinnacle, Lost City, Halls of Origination and Grim Batol ??? Hell, three of those instances are basically right next to each other.

Aeris130

Can anyone with experience from previous launches estimate how fast prices usually drops? Enchant materials go for 30G per single dust on my server, belt sockets are 700-900G each.

Aeris130 said:
Can anyone with experience from previous launches estimate how fast prices usually drops? Enchant materials go for 30G per single dust on my server, belt sockets are 700-900G each.

For the belt buckle try just buying the mats and getting a friend to craft it. I bought the mats for about 300g when the buckles already made were selling for 800g.

Flib

DeathNote said:
I don't meet the gear requirements because I leveled by arch/mining.

Haha, what the hell did you think would happen? These dungeons do actually require gear, if you're still in mostly Wrath gear, places like Grim Batol are going to mercilessly destroy you.

Do some questing and get some gear. You can just completely ignore gear and expect to be able to do any group pve content.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Flib said:
Haha, what the hell did you think would happen? These dungeons do actually require gear, if you're still in mostly Wrath gear, places like Grim Batol are going to mercilessly destroy you.

Do some questing and get some gear. You can just completely ignore gear and expect to be able to do any group pve content.
Never said I was skipping gear for the 272 minimum instances. I was going to do the zones at 85 for experience gold. You have to put a lot of effort into arch anyway, why not level by it? It's not for everyone. It's soul draining. Since 84-85 takes 9 million exp I wanted to do the intro dungeons in between dig sites. If that hot fix happens soon (letting 84's and 85's in the starter dungeons with the dungeon finder), I'm good. If it doesn't I'm forced to raise my gear level from 254 to 272 to be able to use the finder. Which shouldn't happen. You should always be able to enter something from 15-85.

Evlar

Banned
Aeris130 said:
Depends on the type of item. Materials used simply to grind up professions drop fairly quickly as the quantity of materials it takes to go from 450 to 525 is generally rather limited. As the impatient, high-spending sort reach the cap the prices float down, leaving the market to alts without support from mains. This deflation has already been happening and will probably continue for another couple weeks.

Materials used to craft items useful to 85s- gems, enchants, buckles, and so forth- will drop much slower. Sales of these items are dependent on how rapidly the server population changes out gear. That gear turnover rate is very high at the launch of an expansion and will remain high probably for a couple months. If prices fall it will be due to competition between crafters as more and more JCs and such reach max skill and try to make a buck.

And, of course, the prices in general are dependent on the total influx of money into the game balanced by the net outflow of money in the form of repairs and other vendor costs. Both rates are higher in Cataclysm (mobs drop more cash, quests grant more cash, and so forth) therefore prices will probably always be somewhat higher across the board than the prices of equivalent items in Wrath.

Flib

DeathNote said:
Never said I was skipping gear for the 272 minimum instances. I was going to do the zones at 85 for experience gold. You have to put a lot of effort into arch anyway, why not level by it? It's not for everyone. It's soul draining. Since 84-85 takes 9 million exp I wanted to do the intro dungeons in between dig sites. If that hot fix happens soon (letting 84's and 85's in the starter dungeons with the dungeon finder), I'm good. If it doesn't I'm forced to raise my gear level from 254 to 272 to be able to use the finder.

Hotfixes go live when they do server restarts, so probably some time tonight it will update. You'll definitely be able to queue for them.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
funkmastergeneral said:
I had a breadcrumb quest to that hub near Uldum when leveling my druid, you must have just missed it. Or maybe it was horde only? I don't know...
I'm horde as well but I had nothing for it. Now you have me wondering why that is :lol

Rapstah

DeathNote said:
Never said I was skipping gear for the 272 minimum instances. I was going to do the zones at 85 for experience gold. You have to put a lot of effort into arch anyway, why not level by it? It's not for everyone. It's soul draining. Since 84-85 takes 9 million exp I wanted to do the intro dungeons in between dig sites. If that hot fix happens soon (letting 84's and 85's in the starter dungeons with the dungeon finder), I'm good. If it doesn't I'm forced to raise my gear level from 254 to 272 to be able to use the finder. Which shouldn't happen. You should always be able to enter something from 15-85.
But you'll completely wipe repeatedly in any Cata instance with 254.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Rapstah said:
But you'll completely wipe repeatedly in any Cata instance with 254.

funkmastergeneral said:
Indeed. It's a little unfair to other group members to have to put up with a guy in 252 gear in an instance that drops 333 stuff.

The intro instances require level 80 and 226. I don't think i'll wipe at 84 and 254.

Flib said:
He's talking about Throne of the Tides and Blackrock Caverns, which he'll do absolutely fine in.
The other instances require 272+ to even be able to queue tho. No reason to talk about fairness to others regarding those.

Ferrio

Banned
Bastard friend who had more gold than he could ever need (think he's at 100k now) just hit it more when he did his first truegold transmute.. and got a 4x proc.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
As a rogue (with two gathering professions). Is it worth the investment to switch to leatherworking + skinning?

Ferrio

Banned
Also I find it incredibly silly that a badass warrior who's faced Arthas, countless legendary dragons and gods is currently wielding a rolling pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom