• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
SnakeswithLasers said:
Enjoy Outlands; don't believe the haters. Hellfire Peninsula is a rad zone. With the exception of the quests at the crashed zeppelin and the voidwalkers, it's good fun. Especially once you hit 60 and get a flyer--and double especially if you have the 5k for fast flying.

I am going to pound through these next 11 levels (to 69) so that I can get ghost wolves and wreak some havoc.
I'm looking forward to it, I'm just surprised I was immediately attacked by Aldor NPCs in the town. All I wanted was an inn!

Alex

I like early BC, but I don't like the last two zones; Shadowmoon and Blades Edge. I'm a big fan of Zangarmarsh though, in particular.

Still it could use a pass if just to condense it some, update the timeline and make certain things less silly. Everything else aside, the huge polish to pacing and reduction of meaningless travel sinks is probably the best thing for questing in Cata.

I added the DX11 toggle to WoW today and man it actually really jumped my framerate up. I'd take some dips in areas with hundreds of on screen people before or certain other crazy things, not huge but down to like 45 but now i seem to be stable at 60.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Rez said:

this turned out to be a legit order, by the way. half-price TBC for anyone interested.

I'm looking forward to exploring some more content. I found myself coming back for more in Silithus, and when I finished up the quests there I could have gone to Moonglade but decided against it. Looking forward to hitting 60 and getting my flying mount and exploring a new world. I like being in the content everyone eventually funnels through to. It means seeing more people.

Thankfully those last zones are pretty unnecessary now. You can probably get out, assuming you do at least a few instances per level, with only doing Hellfire, Zangarmarsh, the Terrokar stuff around the instances and maybe a bit of Nagrand.

As I've said before in this thread, my paladin ONLY did Hellfire and then was on his way to Northrend--and it didn't take long at all, especially since I was running those dungeons like a slave-driver as a tank with instant queues. Paladins are just super powerful though. You can carry nearly any ragtag group through <80 dungeons with your insane aoe threat, decently good damage, your Word of Glory crits and bubbles, and a nice selection of 'oh shit' buttons.

We'll see how it is with the shaman, since I'll be healing, and Outland is notorious for fresh DK tanks who still don't know their abilities (through not entirely the fault of themselves).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't done any real instance running up until this point, and I'm a shadow priest. Will I be ok jumping into the dungeon finder and learning the ropes as I go? I mean, I know the basics, obviously. Any tips would be great. I'm almost level 59 and moving into TBC content.

notworksafe

Thnikkaman said:
I'm looking forward to it, I'm just surprised I was immediately attacked by Aldor NPCs in the town. All I wanted was an inn!
Are you a blood elf? I believe until you do the quests, Belfs are automatically at Hated.

Rez said:
I haven't done any real instance running up until this point, and I'm a shadow priest. Will I be ok jumping into the dungeon finder and learning the ropes as I go? I mean, I know the basics, obviously. Any tips would be great. I'm almost level 59 and moving into TBC content.
If you're just DPS, don't feel intimidated to just jump into some groups to learn. Shadow at lower levels (from my experience, my priest is 74--and I only now just got Mind Sear for AoE) is good on single target and not great for groups of baddies. Nobody should be too picky about your performance in the 50s and 60s as groups are generally just steamrolling the content.

But definitely get some grouping in prior to 80+ ... learning the basics is important. If you want to heal though, that is another thing altogether and you'll want to start learning the mechanics as soon as possible.

SnakeswithLasers said:
If you're just DPS, don't feel intimidated to just jump into some groups to learn. Shadow at lower levels (from my experience, my priest is 74--and I only now just got Mind Sear for AoE) is good on single target and not great for groups of baddies. Nobody should be too picky about your performance in the 50s and 60s as groups are generally just steamrolling the content.

But definitely get some grouping in prior to 80+ ... learning the basics is important. If you want to heal though, that is another thing altogether and you'll want to start learning the mechanics as soon as possible.

Mind sear does no damage to a single target.

Edit: Oh, I think I misread that.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
notworksafe said:
Are you a blood elf? I believe until you do the quests, Belfs are automatically at Hated.
Yeah. Just walked in looking for a pint and got kicked out, but I've looked up the line and level ranges so everything's organised.

notworksafe said:
Cool. Not sure how comitted you are to Aldor, but I recommend Scryer moreso now.

The rewards for rep aren't worth much, but you can jump off Scryer tower without dying. :lol
Now I've read more of the lore I think I will join Scryers. Won't be doing any rep grinding yet, just want to do the quests for completion's sake.

notworksafe

Thnikkaman said:
Yeah. Just walked in looking for a pint and got kicked out, but I've looked up the line and level ranges so everything's organised.
Cool. Not sure how comitted you are to Aldor, but I recommend Scryer moreso now.

The rewards for rep aren't worth much, but you can jump off Scryer tower without dying. :lol

notworksafe

Thnikkaman said:
Now I've read more of the lore I think I will join Scryers. Won't be doing any rep grinding yet, just want to do the quests for completion's sake.
Right on. My favorite Scryer quest got removed from the game. :(

You had to put some potion in the Aldor's soup and then their soldiers would start shooting each other.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
notworksafe said:
Right on. My favorite Scryer quest got removed from the game. :(

You had to put some potion in the Aldor's soup and then their soldiers would start shooting each other.
Have they said why, like to make them less dark? Well Aldors did give me 25% less speed for three damn minutes, so there should be payback somehow!

/g2g, long day

notworksafe

Thnikkaman said:
Have they said why, like to make them less dark? Well Aldors did give me 25% less speed for three damn minutes, so there should be payback somehow!

/g2g, long day
Well with the Shattered Sun Offensive changes in 2.4, the Scryers and Aldor were supposed to be a bit more friendly with each other. That's my guess.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
funkmastergeneral said:
Mind sear does no damage to a single target.

Edit: Oh, I think I misread that.
Mind Sear barely does damage to multiple targets :lol

etiolate

Banned
I just read the blue post on Tol Barad and it really makes them come off as a bunch of out of touch assholes.

As we mentioned earlier, the attacking faction is having a pretty tough time winning control of Tol Barad -- and we're OK with that, at least in theory

So you're okay with a design that is near impossible to overcome without server balance control?

As we mentioned earlier, the attacking faction is having a pretty tough time winning control of Tol Barad -- and we're OK with that, at least in theory. Here's why: When we set out to create Wintergrasp, one of the issues we dealt with was that we were never able to ensure the sides were even -- in fact, they rarely were. Because the smaller team would almost always be assured defeat, we attempted to address team-size imbalance by favoring the attacker. Control of Wintergrasp went back and forth, and the result was that battles lost their impact.

To people who play on really imbalanced servers, that last sentence is some wild fantasy. Wintergrasp was never all that back and forth on my server. It was Horde most of the time, and TB is Horde all the time.

There is multiple ways of encouraging world PVP, there is many ways to have done it other than another WG. Hell, they copied an idea from Warhammer but failed at getting all the necessary parts. Blizz just sounds out of touch and creatively bankrupt.

Dresden

etiolate said:
There is multiple ways of encouraging world PVP, there is many ways to have done it other than another WG. Hell, they copied an idea from Warhammer but failed at getting all the necessary parts. Blizz just sounds out of touch and creatively bankrupt.
Just set up a zone with tons of dailies along with boosted honor gain from killing other players. Bam.

I always had more fun just cruising around Tol Barad killing people doing their daily quests.

Won

I just can't get behind the logic in this blue post. They weren't happy with WG, because it favored one side, so with the new scenario they decided to favor again one of the sides and....why exactly should this work now? Doesn't make sense.

I already had a Tol Barad game, in which we outnumbered the Alliance at least 3:1 for the last 10 minutes. They all just left. And I can't blame them.

etiolate

Banned
What I find hilarious is the sentiment that battles going back and forth made the battles lose their impact.

When a battle continually is decided one way then the battle loses its impact. When the battle is already favored towards one side and that one side wins most of the time, the battle loses its impact.

When the globetrotters continually beat up a bunch of scrubs is when the battle loses its impact, and that is why they got to pull down refs pants and flirt with the mascot. Somehow Blizzard does not understand this.

Won said:
I just can't get behind the logic in this blue post. They weren't happy with WG, because it favored one side, so with the new scenario they decided to favor again one of the sides and....why exactly should this work now? Doesn't make sense.

No, it's true, the post doesn't make any sense (and presumably it's because they're trying to avoid admitting that their original design was broken and then their first attempt at a solution was insanely terrible.)

The first problem is that a field that trades sides every time is inherently superior to one that never trades sides: in both cases the competitiveness goes down, but in the latter one side never gets access to the gated content and it's almost impossible for them to change the dynamic even with a concerted effort, while in the former both sides get the gated content and a concerted enough effort to hold will encourage more competitiveness on the other side to take the site back from you. As such, it always makes sense to err on the side of "easy to flip" rather than "easy to hold" in area design, and Tol Barad's lean in the latter direction is a clear mistake.

The second problem is that you can't incentivize people more than they already are to win. People go into these things wanting to win and doing everything possible to achieve that goal; they'll only change that if you make the incentive to lose strong enough to override it (which is exactly what the ludicrous 1800 honor award did.)

Ultimately it needs to be easier for attackers to take Tol Barad. If they're going to make balance changes to it, this is what those changes need to focus on.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Makes sense to me.

They want it to be tough, but admit it's too tough right now. They want defenders to put their all into keeping it controlled rather than relying on an easy take back in a few hours.

Your server may have had WG Horde or Alliance locked in WOTLK, but that was because the server was imbalanced. Even with tenacity, I assume Horde on Mal'Ganis for example were too geared out. Their new system fixes the imbalance, but it's gonna suck for people who can't get in a game when they fix the bridge exploit.

On an equal server, I did see WG attackers having the advantage and people relying on that.

Since my guild is too busy leveling their alts (ugh) to 85, I'm going to take a month off and play DC Universe Online.

PUGging while they level is burning me out too quickly. :(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SnakeswithLasers said:
Enjoy Outlands; don't believe the haters. Hellfire Peninsula is a rad zone. With the exception of the quests at the crashed zeppelin and the voidwalkers, it's good fun. Especially once you hit 60 and get a flyer--and double especially if you have the 5k for fast flying.

I am going to pound through these next 11 levels (to 69) so that I can get ghost wolves and wreak some havoc.
You can't train Expert Riding until level 70.

It's better than when Artisan riding was 60% flight speed though. That was just brutal.

Angry Grimace

notworksafe said:
Hm early maintenance tonight (3-11am). Is there a patch or something coming?
I'd be mildly surprised if they dumped that retune patch this fast. It took Blizzard like 2 months to drop 3.0.8. I remember people complaining mercilessly about how incredibly overpowered Death Knights were at launch :lol

Not to mention there's a lot of things they've stated they wanted to cover that they haven't even really addressed; i.e. they've stated they aren't happy with the current Warlock design in which every subspec has to put mandatory points into destro to get Improved Soul Fire, which doesn't even really make much sense in terms of Affliction.

Edit: Zarhym was talking about new patch notes only this morning, so the only possibility are tooltip and bug cleanups.

etiolate

Banned
Well, he just announced a bunch of Shaman nerfs.

(whats new?)

Also, all CCs like sheep and hex are being reduced to 8 seconds in PVP.

LowParry

DeathNote said:
How is Engineering these days?

Got my warrior to 70 and thinking about doing BS/Eng since I have Mining and JC maxed on a DK.

Fantastic but very time consuming to level. Unless you plan on spending some good gold to make it quick. Very expensive.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CcrooK said:
Fantastic but very time consuming to level. Unless you plan on spending some good gold to make it quick. Very expensive.
Until you get to 425, it should be faster than ever with old world flying tho eh? 310% + Pale horse.

LowParry

From 425 and on it should be really easy with farming the ore itself. There's so many spots to farm it. It's just you're dealing with two professions to level that use ore. That's where part of your time consumption will go. And of course the actual mining part of doing it yourself if you plan to go that route.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How many of you are playing multiple 85's?

Beyond professions, so many time sinks to keep each up to date until one is stuck in raid progression. I don't know I'd want to do Tol Barad on another. :lol

Twig

Banned
DeathNote said:
How many of you are playing multiple 85's?

Beyond professions, so many time sinks to keep each up to date until one is stuck in raid progression. I don't know I'd want to do Tol Barad on another. :lol
A friend told me TB tokens are going to be BoA next patch? I dunno where he read that, but it sounds neat if so. I've always been of the opinion that having to grind some of this stuff on multiple characters just because Blizzard deigns it necessary... is dumb. This isn't quite what I'd like, but it's closer than nothing.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Twig said:
A friend told me TB tokens are going to be BoA next patch? I dunno where he read that, but it sounds neat if so. I've always been of the opinion that having to grind some of this stuff on multiple characters just because Blizzard deigns it necessary... is dumb. This isn't quite what I'd like, but it's closer than nothing.
I don't think so.

"Both the Baradin's Wardens and Hellscream's Reach Commendations are now Bound to Account items."

Which are purchased with TB commendations to increase rep.

CcrooK said:

He really missed out on the early days of getting to level Blacksmithing to 525 for free. I bit the bullet and dropped about 30K going from 460-525 and it was worth it because I made about 300-400K in PROFIT back over the next few weeks selling PvP gear. We are talking about selling multiple sets a day that cost 1500-2000 to make for 10,000-15,000. Sadly the market has died on my server due to a flooding of goods and people not being smart about undercutting. I kept thinks afloat for a while by buying out low auctions and driving the price back up, but finally just gave up before I drove myself insane. Belt buckles are also in the same boat and have gone from giving 150-200 in profit a buckle to about 20.

Thankfully ore costs are a lot lower these days and it should not be as hard to pay out for. Also if you are looking to use Blacksmithing to make your own epics then you can easily get the last 10 points making those.

Twig

Banned
DeathNote said:
I don't think so.

"Both the Baradin's Wardens and Hellscream's Reach Commendations are now Bound to Account items."

Which are purchased with TB commendations to increase rep.
Ah, that must be it, then.

What a shame.

Still, at least it's something.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
besides that one daily quest and wearing the tabard in heroics, what's the best way to gain ramkahen rep?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Speaking of ramkahen rep, I skipped everything but Vashj'ir on my Death Knight. I'll be doing all the zones a another character in a few days, but I can't buy some of the other tabards yet.

Assuming I just need to do a handful of quests to get access to the tabard and dailies, would there be a huge rep loss for not doing the zones completely?

Scrow said:
besides that one daily quest and wearing the tabard in heroics, what's the best way to gain ramkahen rep?

Depends on if you still need gear from heroics/justice points. While they give less rep, steamrolling through the max level normals can sometimes get you there faster.

zugzug

I really do not get it how can Blizzard be so arsed and stupid about Tol Barad. Just like they were exactly astoundinly dumb with WIntergrasp.

Low POp server underpopulated side clearly as well being underpopulated won't have the same type of player that the overpopulated side will have. meaning the overpopulated side has a greater chance at having PvP focused players and those are the players queing for Tol Barad so they have a greater chance of facerolling the underpopulated. Blizzard is just flat out dumb and wrong on this.

Nerfing sheep, and hex in pvp....maybe yes for a mage but nerfing hex for a shaman are you daft! Its only useful for someone who is not equipped the medallion, and then its only useful if you get that person to use the medallion before on somethign else like sap, blind or psyhic scream. in 8 seconds no shaman can kill a healer if I'm hexing their dps friend. In 8 seconds no shaman can kill a DK,paladin,Warrior.

Check that no shaman can never kill a DK,Paladin,Warrior. ROFL DK and Warrior with heals. Paladin heals are dealable except bubble and full health, lay on hands which are not.

A shaman has to get lucky to kill a mage. By the mage messing up.

A shaman cannot kill a warlock in 8 seconds.

A shaman cannot outdps a Feral Druid. On any front even with Feral wolves and heroism. Thats a push but then you blew everything to tie that one simple battle, you face him again in 5 minutes your arsed out and lose easily. Funny thing I've been in two 1v1 battles against Feral Druid popular on my server blown all my cooldowns we both deathblowed each other. But its a loss when I face him before those 10minutes are up and its a loss if he gets first attack on me which they will 85% of the time.

Btw, Mages you can DIAF. Cannot begin how OP mages and Warriors are.

I cannot wait for the internet wide blacklash of how stupid Blizzard is with all of their choices. When it becomes generally known across the world that Blizzard has no clue how to balance their game. Blizzard developers are fucking idiots and thats the common word association. Cannot wait.

Just like Ultima Online was known to have dumb as rock developers oh wait Chilton was a part of Ultima Online as named Dev Evocare.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
VNUiQ.jpg

Wow, fuck me this is just the worst.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mages really are ridiculous in PvP at the moment.

I think blinking out of stuns is absolutely ludicrous, though that's been around for a while.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
TheExodu5 said:
Mages really are ridiculous in PvP at the moment.

I think blinking out of stuns is absolutely ludicrous, though that's been around for a while.
i got dominated by a fire mage. honestly, i'm not the greatest pvper, but it really just felt like i was being cheated when he beat me down twice and could drain half my life while flying with instant cast spells and then float safely to the ground. when fighting him i was constantly incapacitated, stunned or snared. i'll admit that on reflection i made a few mistakes, but mages just feel way too strong.

Azwethinkweiz said:
There's two dailies, but yeah, it's pretty sucky. Definitely takes a while.
what's the second one? i only know of the one where you smash pygmies with a hammer.

Evil Benius said:
Depends on if you still need gear from heroics/justice points. While they give less rep, steamrolling through the max level normals can sometimes get you there faster.
yes, i need JP and heroic gear to get raid ready.

Dance In My Blood said:
http://i.imgur.com/VNUiQ.jpg[IMG]
Wow, fuck me this is just the worst.[/QUOTE]getting the same thing.

[QUOTE=DeathNote]Assuming I just need to do a handful of quests to get access to the tabard and dailies, would there be a huge rep loss for not doing the zones completely?[/QUOTE]i'd say so, yes. i think doing the full quests in a given zone will get you close to or within honored standing.

[QUOTE=zugzug]Nerfing sheep, and hex in pvp....maybe yes for a mage but nerfing hex for a shaman are you daft! Its only useful for someone who is not equipped the medallion, and then its only useful if you get that person to use the medallion before on somethign else like sap, blind or psyhic scream. in 8 seconds no shaman can kill a healer if I'm hexing their dps friend. In 8 seconds no shaman can kill a DK,paladin,Warrior.[/QUOTE]what makes you think blizz wants any class to be able to kill any other class within 8 seconds? and realistically you will never see a full duration CC of 8 sec (or even 12) with trinkets, abilities etc. around to break them early and then diminishing returns comes into play

CC should never be an instant win. It's there to get an advantage or to use in a clutch moment and turn the tables.

[QUOTE=zugzug]I cannot wait for the internet wide blacklash of how stupid Blizzard is with all of their choices. When it becomes generally known across the world that Blizzard has no clue how to balance their game. Blizzard developers are fucking idiots and thats the common word association. Cannot wait.[/quote]:lol :lol :lol

Twig

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
VNUiQ.jpg

Wow, fuck me this is just the worst.
Server maintenance at the moment, innit? 'Til 11am PST. That's another five hours.

I can't connect either, I just assumed that was the reason.
zugzug said:
I cannot wait for the internet wide blacklash of how stupid Blizzard is with all of their choices. When it becomes generally known across the world that Blizzard has no clue how to balance their game. Blizzard developers are fucking idiots and thats the common word association. Cannot wait.
SO MUCH RAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Calm down there.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
SquirrelNuckle said:
I entered Black Rock Caverns on my Warlock alt with my tier 10 heroic set and was doing around 8k dps. This was at 80, so a lot more people are doing more than 5k dps in normal dungeons. But I have seen Shadow Priests that do less tha 4k a fight. I don't know if their just bad or that Shadow Form is pretty bad in Cata.
not sure if it was mentioned, but regular lowbie instance means much less armor on the mobs. There is a significant DPS drop going from 83-84 dungeons to heroics.

as for all of the "5K is awful at 329", sorry, but you're full of shit. 5-6K average over the course of the instance is pretty normal at 329 in 5-man heroics with non-final enchants/gems. ESPECIALLY when you start moving away from survival hunters, destruction locks, fury warriors, assassination rogues, etc. once you get a few 346 items and throw near-BIS gems and enchants on them, yeah your DPS ramps up VERY quickly. But at 329, 330, 331, etc your DPS is exponentially lower than it is when you start gearing up 346.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom