• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Rapstah said:
The fun in a limited amount of spells system is finding semi-exploity combinations of spells. In WoW, they'd all be found, analyzed and used by everyone within 45 minutes.
1) That's different from WoW in its current state... in what way?
2) That's not what's fun for me, so... what?

Rapstah said:
The fun in a limited amount of spells system is finding semi-exploity combinations of spells. In WoW, they'd all be found, analyzed and used by everyone within 45 minutes.
And it's also basically their version of talent specs, right?

I mean, personally, I wouldn't mind being hard-restricted to x number of abilities, just so I didn't feel like a slacker for only having ~20 keybindings.

Twig

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
And it's also basically their version of talent specs, right?
Yeah, it is, which is why I don't think that particular system would benefit WoW. Guild Wars is a very different game in a lot of ways.

Just saying I think there are too many useless or unnecessary skills in the game as it is. ):

Twig said:
Yeah, it is, which is why I don't think that particular system would benefit WoW. Guild Wars is a very different game in a lot of ways.

Just saying I think there are too many useless or unnecessary skills in the game as it is. ):
I don't know about useless, but I wasn't exaggerating with 20 keybinds...

1-6
Sh+ 1-3
Q, E, R, T, G, Z, X, C, V
Sh+ Q, E, G, V

And I still struggle to find places for things. It sucks for a few reasons:

1. I play on 5-7 characters pretty regularly so it gets CONFUSING AS HELL
2. Finding a place for an ability that I might REALLY NEED but only VERY RARELY USE is a nightmare. For example, I don't have a spot for Master's Call on my hunter. But it would be really helpful in those PVP situations when I'd need it--but adding it to my bars would mean getting rid of something else that I'd potentially need.

Seems to me like a good cleaning up of skills that included combining some would make a lot of sense. It really irks me how druids have 2 different versions of everything. And they don't get separate top action bars for forms. Leads to a LOT of macros--which is needlessly complicated for the user.

Twig

Banned
Well, useless is relative in this context, but, yeah, I can see you understand what I mean. Hah.

There are a lot of skills I just never use, but that's more to do with the talents I've chosen than the fact that they're ACTUALLY useless. But, why can't "mortal strike" just do different things based on my stance or spec? Replace bloodthirst, devastate, and mortal strike with a single skill that does a different thing based on stance/spec and bam, less bloat.

That's a HORRIBLE example, of course, but hopefully you get the picture. U:

C.Dark.DN

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
Personally, I like this idea, assuming they could get the balance right for the different specs--and why couldn't they with item budgets. It would be a lot more competitive if it came entirely down to skill--but then, what are the advantages of doing BGs if the items you get aren't useful in PVE or PVP?
Let's say a few tiers go by. A new 85 will need a certain gear score to enter random queues to farm the previous tier set to do the most recent raids. But, he doesn't need to equip each piece of gear he gets ASAP. He could keep every piece in his bag until he's ready to do raids. If you get a full group of people that just meet the item level requirement, it's still possible to down the bosses.

After a few pvp season, a person in quest greens can immediately enter random BG's. He's gonna get his ass kicked. Tons of people like him will queue hour by hour and you will have a lot of weak links that stand no chance in any given battle.

I guess one required set is not appealing to people that like to upgrade gear, but the battle master could attest equip people with a 15 piece scrub set only usable in random battlegrounds that updates each season or something. Maybe there is also craftable gear that updates each season.

Twig said:
Well, useless is relative in this context, but, yeah, I can see you understand what I mean. Hah.

There are a lot of skills I just never use, but that's more to do with the talents I've chosen than the fact that they're ACTUALLY useless. But, why can't "mortal strike" just do different things based on my stance or spec? Replace bloodthirst, devastate, and mortal strike with a single skill that does a different thing based on stance/spec and bam, less bloat.

That's a HORRIBLE example, of course, but hopefully you get the picture. U:
I like that idea... You go ahead and patch it in.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a breadcrumb into Twilight other than the Warchief's Commands?

edit: oh, nevermind, the Warchief's Commands lead you right to it.

TheExodu5

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:

1-6
Sh+ 1-3
Sh+ Q, E, G, V

2. Finding a place for an ability that I might REALLY NEED but only VERY RARELY USE is a nightmare. For example, I don't have a spot for Master's Call on my hunter. But it would be really helpful in those PVP situations when I'd need it--but adding it to my bars would mean getting rid of something else that I'd potentially need.

Seems to me like a good cleaning up of skills that included combining some would make a lot of sense. It really irks me how druids have 2 different versions of everything. And they don't get separate top action bars for forms. Leads to a LOT of macros--which is needlessly complicated for the user.

1 2 3 4 5 Q E R T F G
Shift 1 2 3 4 5 Q E R T F G
Ctrl 1 2 3 4 5 Q E R T F G

I use all of them. 33 key bindinds.

edit: I am a rogue though...most of my abilities are useful in either PvE or PvP, even if I stay mutilate spec.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I hit Level 85 right on cue as I completed the quest to overthrow the Dragonmaw Chief.

Yay. There's something really weird about having a level 85 character for me. It wasn't that long ago I hadn't even played an MMO. :)

No45

borghe said:
fire rotation is actually very minimal (fire raider here)

<snip>
Thanks for the tips. I have LB now, just feeling my way around the 'rotation' at the moment - finding it lots of fun though. ^_^

I'm leveling a holy priest solely through the dungeon finder. It's an interesting way to level, and i have to say that it's not as bad as i expected it to be (at level 50 so far). Guess it helps that the dungeons arent especially hard, but still. Only Scholomance guaranteed to cause multiple wipes in a run.

Cant wait ro reach level 60 though, so i can do some archeology on the side, especially once 4.0.6 hits with the increased value of the artifacts. While it's not terribly slow so far (about 3 dungeons a level up so far)

Rez said:
I'm not presenting anything new, I'm sure Blizzard -- hell, even you guys in this thread -- have been over it a million times. It's just a bit strange that the only real comment we have from Blizzard is "tooltips=long".

I would bet money that the scenario is something like this:

• Different people in the gameplay design team disagree on whether it would make sense to split PvP and PvE effects of abilities.
  • Doing that would be a huge step and would lead to a huge number of discoverability, accessibility, and UI issues (with tooltips being a shorthand for those.)
  • These problems would be solvable, but it'd be a huge amount of work to do so
  • It'd also be a huge amount of work to actually just solve the different PvP and PvE issues that this sort of thing is holding back now, and to decide just how different an ability could be between the two modes.
  • Even if Blizzard decided today to take this step and jump in with both feet, settling all this would take ages -- probably it'd get rolled into the big system changes that will inevitably appear in Patch 5.0.1 with the next expansion because they'd be too big to make mid-expansion.
  • That means that they can't just do it, and they can't honestly say "well we're thinking about it" because people will spaz out and never shut up about it, they can't explain their real thinking because that'd also create a mess of people debating the issue that isn't settled internally yet.
  • That leaves the obviously incomplete answer of "tooltips" as a way of dismissing the question they can't answer fully in public while they continue to debate the correct solution to the problem internally.

Dance In My Blood said:
I just don't like PvE and PvP being separate. Resilience started this in Burning Crusade, and frankly it just doubles the timesink for players who want to do both. Half of the fun of getting great gear in the original WoW was crushing other players with it.

That's really not sustainable in a game where PvP and PvE are both supposed to be full content sets that players can participate in, though. I wouldn't want to raid with people who are only there to leech off gear to make them leet in PvP or run battlegrounds with AFKers who want an easier route to sweet epixxx.

Right now PvP balance is just a mess because healing is overpowered

See, how do you even address this? Healing is definitely not overpowered in PvE right now. :p

C.Dark.DN

Banned
What's the best way to make money with Enchanting these days? The only non trainer patterns I have are all of the twilight highland heavenly shard patterns.

Some of the most expensive scrolls I see on AH are Hurricane, Mongoose, Berserking, Healing Power, Heartsong, Superior Potency.

Not sure how many things I can solo as a rogue for patterns. If there are BOE boss patterns my blood DK can do the job.

Also not sure what dream shard patterns I should pick up.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
wonderdung said:
Yeah, you can. Will edit the macro into this post when I get home after work.

Edit:

/usetalents [spec:1]2;[spec:2]1
is there a way to bundle gear switching into a macro like that too, so i can switch specs and gear in a single button press?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SnakeswithLasers said:

1-6
Sh+ 1-3
Sh+ Q, E, G, V

I just didn't use half those abilities until I went out and bought a Razer Naga. It's kind of a ridiculous, expensive solution, but it does give you on demand non-uncomfortable access to all your abilities.

notworksafe

DeathNote said:
What's the best way to make money with Enchanting these days? The only non trainer patterns I have are all of the twilight highland heavenly shard patterns.

Some of the most expensive scrolls I see on AH are Hurricane, Mongoose, Berserking, Healing Power, Heartsong, Superior Potency.

Not sure how many things I can solo as a rogue for patterns. If there are BOE boss patterns my blood DK can do the job.

Potency and Berserking are great patterns to make money on right now. Some people are too cheap to get the Cata level enchants on non-epic weapons so they'll use Wrath level ones for the time being.

Mongoose is also a very easy enchant to get for any class, really. BC raid enchant drop rates seem to be set near 100% since a few patches ago so there won't really be any farming.

Healing Power will take a bit more work as Vanilla raid enchants didn't seem to get a buff in drop rate as but it's very much worthwhile because it is the best SP enchant for heirlooms, so there will always be a call for it no matter what.

I believe the Healing Power enchant is BOE, but the BC enchants are BOP.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
Potency and Berserking are great patterns to make money on right now. Some people are too cheap to get the Cata level enchants on non-epic weapons so they'll use Wrath level ones for the time being.

Mongoose is also a very easy enchant to get for any class, really. BC raid enchant drop rates seem to be set near 100% since a few patches ago so there won't really be any farming.

Healing Power will take a bit more work as Vanilla raid enchants didn't seem to get a buff in drop rate as but it's very much worthwhile because it is the best SP enchant for heirlooms, so there will always be a call for it no matter what.

I believe the Healing Power enchant is BOE, but the BC enchants are BOP.
Thanks. Any other must have weapon enchants? Excluding the heirloom list. http://www.wowpedia.org/Heirloom

notworksafe

Fiery Weapon is cheap to both acquire and make. Many early players get it as it's a cheap way to make your weapons look cool. The gathering ones aren't bad for making a quick buck on either.

Almost anything on the heirloom list is guaranteed money, of course. Wrath and BC level mats are going for pretty decent prices on my server right now too, so if you can solo instances to farm gear, that'd probably make you some gold too. Might as well check all the material prices, as leveling mats can be a great way to gouge people. :p

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:

Crusader
Lifestealing
+4 stats
+100hp
+15agi
+29sp
+30sp

These are usually in demand for heirloom gears/leveling toons.

Cheap cata scroll enchants sell fast, plus the mats are not too intensive to get (+35 str, +50haste, etc). The hefty enchants are probably out of your realm right now because maelstrom crystals are a fortune still, and will be for at least another 2 months until stuff gets DE'd all the time by guilds, and even then they may keep them in guild.

J-Rzez

As long as PVE and PVP co-exist, they'll never balance it. Example:

DK's:
Big DPS nerfs across the boards, most abilities seeing a 15-20% nerf. Thus, PVP will be effected negatively considering there is less damage now, and necrotic strike got hit hard with a nerf. The mobility will not make up for it considering how you have to go about getting it to work.

So by targetting pve talents for nerfs, it has a massive effect on PVP as well. It can't be balanced.

J-Rzez said:

DK's:
Big DPS nerfs across the boards, most abilities seeing a 15-20% nerf. Thus, PVP will be effected negatively considering there is less damage now, and necrotic strike got hit hard with a nerf. The mobility will not make up for it considering how you have to go about getting it to work.

So by targetting pve talents for nerfs, it has a massive effect on PVP as well. It can't be balanced.

For it to be as functional as it is says a lot of blizz, they do a good job.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Angry Grimace said:
I just didn't use half those abilities until I went out and bought a Razer Naga. It's kind of a ridiculous, expensive solution, but it does give you on demand non-uncomfortable access to all your abilities.
Yeah, really love my Razer Naga. When you can access lesser used but needed abilities on the fly it can just be a huge boon to how you play. Now I can actually Heroic Leap all over the place and the ability is awesome (when it works).
charlequin said:
That's really not sustainable in a game where PvP and PvE are both supposed to be full content sets that players can participate in, though. I wouldn't want to raid with people who are only there to leech off gear to make them leet in PvP or run battlegrounds with AFKers who want an easier route to sweet epixxx.
It worked in vanilla WoW, so it's already proven that it is sustainable. They don't need to be full content sets, that was something worked in and something that discourages the playerbases from merging together. PvP gear should also come back and have it's uses in PvE, but Blizzard is afraid to reward PvP players because it's just a timesink rather than a skill level check beyond rated BGs. We do see some people using PvP weapons and other items to fill in gear gaps right now though, it's just something I want to see expanded upon.

And people already AFK in BGs all the time for loot. It's a really big problem right now because the only punishment is a 15 minute deserter buff if you get caught even 100s of times.
charlequin said:
See, how do you even address this? Healing is definitely not overpowered in PvE right now. :p
Re-implement the healing debuffs to their original status, hand them out to more classes as needed, and try to make them something that stacks over time like the Fury warrior debuff. It's probably the most balanced way to make healing less effective over time. Also, the Paladin nerf will help (because some PvE healing is overpowered).

Twig

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
It worked in vanilla WoW, so it's already proven that it is sustainable.
"Worked."

You need the quotes.

In vanilla, people who raided were ridiculously overpowered compared to - and got gear a lot faster than - people who exclusively did PvP. If you didn't want to do PvE, you would get destroyed, because the PvP gear took much longer to get.

(This was after Battlegrounds were introduced, of course.)

EDIT: I don't want this post to be taken as a "Twig wants PvP and PvE to remain completely separate!" sort of deal, because I don't. I'm just pointing out that it's not as simple as you apparently think it is.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Twig said:
"Worked."

You need the quotes.

In vanilla, people who raided were ridiculously overpowered compared to - and got gear a lot faster than - people who exclusively did PvP. If you didn't want to do PvE, you would get destroyed, because the PvP gear took much longer to get.

(This was after Battlegrounds were introduced, of course.)
"Raid or die." :)

Twig

Banned
That's fucking stupid, too.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I know that some people could say that and mean it, so... That's fucking stupid, too.

Alex

It's just an old joke saying.

Although playing on a friends Rogue and one shot Ambushing people with a Death's Sting was pretty entertaining, since I'm a jackass like this.

World needs a new classical UO, for people like me who feel griefing urges.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:

DK's:

This is somewhat inaccurate/misleading.

The reason why many Unholy abilities (i.e. Death Coil) are seeing a "nerf" is because Dreadblade overcompensates for them. Their damage is being decreased somewhat, but not that much.

Twig

Banned
Alex said:
It's just an old joke saying.

Although playing on a friends Rogue and one shot Ambushing people with a Death's Sting was pretty entertaining, since I'm a jackass like this.

World needs a new classical UO, for people like me who feel griefing urges.
Yeah, it sounded familiar, which is why I added that line about sarcasm. Though rereading it, it's not obvious I'm not trying to be hostile.

Still, there are people who would say that and mean it during vanilla and I wanted to stab them. But I couldn't because the only raiding I had done was a couple world bosses and Molten Core, which was enough raiding to last me a lifetime, until I finally got over it and am now enjoying raiding in Cataclysm. (Actually I enjoyed it in Wrath, too, but had to quit playing due to real life, so didn't get to enjoy more than Naxx.)

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
This is somewhat inaccurate/misleading.

The reason why many Unholy abilities (i.e. Death Coil) are seeing a "nerf" is because Dreadblade overcompensates for them. Their damage is being decreased somewhat, but not that much.

We don't know this just yet as it wasn't functioning on the PTR the way it was intended to (last i checked). So as of right now it doesn't look too good. We'll have to wait and see basically on Live if mastery is going to really be worth that much. Even in optimum circumstances, Str and Haste will reign supreme, but perhaps, and that's a big but perhaps, mastery will be at least of value to crit as it stands. Regardless, it still hurts in pvp because many situations classes have shadow protection / resist aura, and magic immune abilities. And thus our ghoul damage and 5% str nerfs are pretty hurtful.

It's always interesting to see what happens when these patches hit because either you're in fotm good shape, or you need to suffer for a good couple months, sometimes seasons.

TimeKillr

DeathNote said:

I find it insane that Mongoose is still expensive.

My mage got it waaaay back in the Karazhan days...

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
We don't know this just yet as it wasn't functioning on the PTR the way it was intended to (last i checked). So as of right now it doesn't look too good. We'll have to wait and see basically on Live if mastery is going to really be worth that much. Even in optimum circumstances, Str and Haste will reign supreme, but perhaps, and that's a big but perhaps, mastery will be at least of value to crit as it stands. Regardless, it still hurts in pvp because many situations classes have shadow protection / resist aura, and magic immune abilities. And thus our ghoul damage and 5% str nerfs are pretty hurtful.

It's always interesting to see what happens when these patches hit because either you're in fotm good shape, or you need to suffer for a good couple months, sometimes seasons.
It's somewhat disingenuous to make it sound like an across the board, definitive nerf (of that size) is incoming when the compensation isn't not working as intended. But it's true that mastery isn't rising to the top of the pile, and that the spec is being nerfed overall. But to be fair, it was itself a FOTM super OP class in PvE as it was. Now it's only slightly OP.

Also, got my Cenarion War Hippogryph; took about ~5 hours.

Twig

Banned
~ means "about"

you basically just said "about about five hours"

i am sorry but this drives me nuts so i have to correct you

Angry Grimace

Twig said:
~ means "about"

You made a post to complain of a petty grammatical irritant, yet failed to either capitalize or use punctuation.

Scrow said:
is there a way to bundle gear switching into a macro like that too, so i can switch specs and gear in a single button press?

I'm not sure if you can do it in one macro, but if you use the WoW equipment manager it'd be something like:

/equipset [spec:1]Frost; [spec:2]Unholy
/usetalents [spec:1] 2; [spec:2] 1

I don't use the WoW equipment manager so I've never tried this.

Sai-kun

Banned
Twig said:
~ means "about"

ludwig.gif

etiolate

Banned
-Separate PVP and PVE skills. There is no debate on whether this is good or not. If people are crying no on the team, make them play some games with good PVP. Have them come back learneded.
-No more Resil. No more PVP Gearing. Have a base set of PVP gear with easy access. Make PVP about skill instead of grinding for gear! *GASP*
-Improve spell targeting finally. Spell targeting needs to auto follow and not fail if someone jumps over your head near the end of a cast.
-How to change between PVE and PVP? Lower spell cast times and lower effectiveness. Make physical conditions removable. Remove the PVE intended crowd control skills from PVP. They stick out likea sore thumb. Less stuns! *gasp*
-Ditch Arena for gods sake. Focus on larger scale where your class imbalance issues are covered up.
-Part of the problem with rated BGs is you don't know what BG you are getting into, so you can't set up your team properly. Battle for Gilneas may make you want three healers while WSG will want two healers more likely. Do you want to be winning or losing because you brought a comp for one BG but got another? That's just chance.
-Remove all cost from respeccing.

Probably more as well. At this point, Blizz just humors PVPers to not lose every single one of them to another game.

notworksafe

Sadly I doubt Arena is going anywhere. It's an eSport in Korea (on TV etc etc) and Blizz is pushing it hard to get even more cash money.

Also I'd be okay with respeccing cost sticking around if Blizz gave us a 3rd talent spec.

The rest I agree with.

The things you are comparing are way too different. Maybe if you were talking about Guild Wars or Warhammer Online (Haven't played these, just using them as examples). There is nothing for WoW to gain from counter strike.

notworksafe

etiolate said:
esport my ass

Korea cares more about other pvp
I only ever watched one tournament (3v3 and boring as fuck, but I never liked Arena so I'm a bad judge) but it had pretty good attendance from the crowd shots. So it's hard to tell how much they care. Either way Blizzard will keep pushing it and the Koreans will eat it up because it's Blizzard.

etiolate

Banned
well alright

Guild Wars was far bigger in Korea than WoW arena, but even then GW was behind something like Lineage II, so whatever attention arena gets or Blizz pays for arena to get is just more of the illusion of caring about PVP. It's the slamball of esport.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Arenas as an esport is a joke and will never be viable. Blizzard cannot balance it, and if you ever watched any tournaments, pretty much all the teams are the same comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom