• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceebs

I have decided a good number of people who use the dungeon finder are mostly terrible players.

You have made it 88 levels without learning to not stand in the fire?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Are heroic scenarios tougher than the heroics? What's with the higher ilvl?

ZenaxPure

Yes, the enemies do significantly more damage, they have something like 2.5x more hp, their healing spells heal for 100% of their hp, mini-bosses replace a lot of the mobs that are normally elite mobs, they gain new abilities, and the abilities on even normal mobs usually do about half your HP in damage. In addition there is always a bonus objective that grants additional vp, but, is extremely hard to get unless you have 3 very well geared and skilled dps (or a well geared tank/healer who can also do solid dps), I've only gotten the bonus in one or two pugs I've been in.

They are closer to challenge mode difficulty than heroic dungeon difficulty. The biggest difference is you can take them slower since there is only a timer for a short period of the run.

Really just matters with composition. A lot of people prefer going in with a tank, healer, or both. If you have both then they're largely trivial. One or the other with two DPS means people need to be a bit more careful and pay more attention to what's going on. And with three DPS it's a challenge but not impossible. Generally you'll want to use more CC and definitely be aware of everything going on.

I honestly think it's silly how people will only go in with a tank and healer as I've done it with three DPS without a single person dying. Standing in stuff in a heroic scenario will almost always lead to a death. They increase the amount of damage avoidable attacks do since there's no requirement for a tank to soak up damage while a healer keeps everyone alive.

Compare all that to a heroic dungeon that there's generally no challenge anymore and everyone blazes through them without much thought at all and heroic scenarios still pose a real challenge.

Edit: And beaten. Oh well!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

I would definitely say they are. I go with the same two people for heroic scenarios (A brewmaster monk, a BM hunter, and myself, a frost mage). While we normally go through without much of a fuss, there are definitely still a good number of close calls, and probably a straight up wipe once a week on average (Really depends on the scenario you get as well). They're not super difficult by any stretch, but heroic dungeons themselves are a joke in comparison.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Aye, I had the same experience with heroics and we only just started them today. I'm a war tank and my partner a resto sham. Even when we get fresh 90s like us in blues we steamroll the heroics. It's not like the good old days of sloggin through Ramparts for a nether. Why I'm glad to gear scenarios will be better.

ZenaxPure

Aye, I had the same experience with heroics and we only just started them today. I'm a war tank and my partner a resto sham. Even when we get fresh 90s like us in blues we steamroll the heroics.

They purposefully made heroics incredibly easy since they added challenge modes. Like when I say purposefully I mean when the expansion launched none of the max level dungeons even had normal modes. They wanted people to jump into heroics immediately.

Draxal

They purposefully made heroics incredibly easy since they added challenge modes. Like when I say purposefully I mean when the expansion launched none of the max level dungeons even had normal modes. They wanted people to jump into heroics immediately.

That and kinda hard heroics + random lfg = painful experience for everybody.

Slayerx

A few more thoughts on Timeless Isle. The rewards are really nice, endless vanity items and also 496 BoA gear which is probably what they meant by a new way to gear up without doing any dungeons. The Island is littered with clickable items and buffs and small secrets you discover along the way.

This is not different from any big daily hub in terms of scope and content. This is a daily hub deconstructed basically with all the previous rewards and more (since you get lesser charms from killing mobs anyway now), kill what you want where you want. The mobs on the island have very interesting abilities for example a frog applies a poison on attack and if it gets to 10 stacks you die instantly, there is a fire spirit with bolts hitting you for 150k+ damage and you must click on a fire to gain 50% damage reduction, there are many more of these they all have unique abilities. This Island is what happens if you remove quests from the game, no direction at all. A lot of people will hate it for similar reasons they disliked GW2 probably.

Fjordson

A few more thoughts on Timeless Isle. The rewards are really nice, endless vanity items and also 496 BoA gear which is probably what they meant by a new way to gear up without doing any dungeons. The Island is littered with clickable items and buffs and small secrets you discover along the way.

This is not different from any big daily hub in terms of scope and content. This is a daily hub deconstructed basically with all the previous rewards and more (since you get lesser charms from killing mobs anyway now), kill what you want where you want. The mobs on the island have very interesting abilities for example a frog applies a poison on attack and if it gets to 10 stacks you die instantly, there is a fire spirit with bolts hitting you for 150k+ damage and you must click on a fire to gain 50% damage reduction, there are many more of these they all have unique abilities. This Island is what happens if you remove quests from the game, no direction at all. A lot of people will hate it for similar reasons they disliked GW2 probably.
Sounds pretty neat.

Especially if there are any cool mounts to get. I'm always a sucker for mounts.

ampere

480 still isn't high enough on my server =[ most groups don't let anyone in below 510-515 item lvl.

Hopefully I'll get there eventually. Only at 481 right now.

Check out openraid.us

Make an account and check the live chat, people forming heroic scenario groups all the time, you might be able to get in that way. The website is awesome for other stuff anyway

Fjordson

Check out openraid.us

Make an account and check the live chat, people forming heroic scenario groups all the time, you might be able to get in that way. The website is awesome for other stuff anyway
Hmm, alright I'll try it, thanks. Heard about open raid before, but never used it.

Also, solo'd Black Temple for the first time and got some really dope transmog items. Particularly the Wavemender's Mantle for shoulders. They look awesome.

CassSept

Oh God no. I just got 40th tastyfish a second after 3rd winner was announced...

I hate my server. An active server is a blessing... until the contest :/

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm going to say mid-late August.

The next expansion will come out around the same time Mists did, just to fuck with us with ANOTHER year long raid. :|

ampere

I'm going to say mid-late August.

The next expansion will come out around the same time Mists did, just to fuck with us with ANOTHER year long raid. :|

I think there will be a 5.5 patch with some content to break up the wait

I hope

End of August/early September.

I'm thinking this for 5.4. Lots of tuning/testing still needs to be done on the PTR. It's a bit too soon for my group, sadly we won't be able to reach Ra-den. Instead of getting new bosses last week we kept wiping Megaera

Berordn

I think there will be a 5.5 patch with some content to break up the wait

I hope

They keep hinting at a patch following 5.4, but for all we know they could be talking about the 6.0 prepatch.

I'm still not convinced that Garrosh is the final raid boss.

Jedi2016

That's entirely possible, if his corruption is coming from an outside source. Old God, maybe?

I'm so far behind on this game it's not even funny. I don't even have a lv90 yet, although my monk is getting there. Probably won't do a damn thing with him once he hits 90 except rep grinds and such. Not sure if, or how, I'll gear him up at all. Not much point in gearing if you don't plan to actually do anything with it. I'm not a raider, and probably won't even bother running dungeons.

ampere

They keep hinting at a patch following 5.4, but for all we know they could be talking about the 6.0 prepatch.

I think he'll be the "final" boss a la Lich King in WotLK, some segway into the next expac mini raid like Ruby Sanctum might exist after him, but he's really the finale.

sqwarlock

I don't see who else it could be, honestly. Maybe Y'Shaarj, but who/what else in the lore introduced in MoP poses a bigger threat?

sqwarlock

I don't think Y'shaarj is supposed to be alive.

Of course he isn't, but maybe when Garrosh resurrected his heart it set off a chain of events that blah, blah, blah. Lore is tricky when you start involving Old Gods again. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Garrosh is the final "boss" of the expansion, and if there's anything after him it'll be some sort of mini-raid to set up the next expansion.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ok, so perhaps I'm dumb here, and just don't know it, but I went all the way out to the Argent Tournament so I could finish up stuff there and get the mounts I'm missing.... and I can't do anything. Like, no dailies are showing up, no nothing. Am I missing something here, something obvious? It's been so long since I was there that I'm not sure.

Ok, so perhaps I'm dumb here, and just don't know it, but I went all the way out to the Argent Tournament so I could finish up stuff there and get the mounts I'm missing.... and I can't do anything. Like, no dailies are showing up, no nothing. Am I missing something here, something obvious? It's been so long since I was there that I'm not sure.

Is this your first time on that character? I believe if it's your first time you have to pick up the quest to start things back in Dalaran near the flight master there. From there it'll have you go over and you have to do a series of dailies that take roughly 25 days to then get started on the true dailies that earn you Champion's Seals.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Is this your first time on that character? I believe if it's your first time you have to pick up the quest to start things back in Dalaran near the flight master there. From there it'll have you go over and you have to do a series of dailies that take roughly 25 days to then get started on the true dailies that earn you Champion's Seals.

Nope, not first time, I have lots of the achievements and even some seals left to spend. In googling around, it sounds like it's because I did a faction change at some point in the past :(

Cipherr

The way they reset the Argent stuff is awful. Particularly because IIRC some of the quests you cant really "outlevel" very easily at all.

All the jousting stuff is a PITA, and your attacks dont scale or anything. Just awful awful stuff.

The way they reset the Argent stuff is awful. Particularly because IIRC some of the quests you cant really "outlevel" very easily at all.

All the jousting stuff is a PITA, and your attacks dont scale or anything. Just awful awful stuff.

I believe they did nerf it a tiny bit. In particular the gargoyles out where you fight the commanders used to deplete your shields with each hit of their attack and now I don't know if it ever happens. If it does it's a really low percent chance of it actually knocking your shield off by one. Also, they have an extremely small aggro radius at level 90 so while killing commanders I was commonly leaping and charging everywhere and often didn't get any of them to attack.

Secondly, some people just prefer to take them out on foot. You have to deal with their shields negating most of your damage but I see people out there doing it so I know it's one way to do it at level 90. For the stuff on the grounds themselves I would often first help anyone jousting by killing their targets on foot since an attack or two once they drop the shield once is all it took and fairly often they'd let me mount up right after and do the same for me making the four targets you have to take down take about twenty seconds.

And lastly, you can now solo the heroic instance fairly easily, though it's frustrating to do. You'll get constantly stunned on foot but they deal so little damage and we deal enough now that I've soloed it plenty of times. But usually I'd call out once upon entering the zone to see who wants to go and if nobody replies I'd call again as I was heading in to turn in all the dailies and one last call, even saying it was my last call, before I'd enter. About 90% of the time I'd get at least one person to join and on a few occasions I even filled a whole party. There's always others working on the seals so it's not too difficult to get help. Besides, I'd suggest anyone level 80-90 could join since really the mounted part is where a second person helps so their level makes little difference.

I'm so glad to be entirely done with all the mounts and pets there. I've thought of heading back on occasion to get a pet every three days to sell on the AH but I haven't brought myself to go back after doing roughly 200 days of quests there across two characters.

Thanks for responses, I think I'll play ret, my 84 pally still has his lich king set which looks fantastic, easily one of the best pally sets to transmog. Also has might of menethil.

Cipherr

I miss the Argent Tournament stuff.

It was okay except for the jousting. Still wasnt as enjoyable a daily hub as Isle of Quel'Danas though. I loved those quests there, and the PvP and the rewards etc.

The fire zone in Cata and the stuff in MoP so far doesn't compare for me. But this upcoming Timeless Isle place looks great.

strafer

It was okay except for the jousting. Still wasnt as enjoyable a daily hub as Isle of Quel'Danas though. I loved those quests there, and the PvP and the rewards etc.

The fire zone in Cata and the stuff in MoP so far doesn't compare for me. But this upcoming Timeless Isle place looks great.

The Firelands zone was great but it almost killed my fps :p

Quel'Danas was top tier.

I think Isle of Thunder is just as good if not better IMO (especially the PvP dailies - seriously, these were an awesome idea for world pvp) but it's just that there are less people playing now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom