• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
SquirrelNuckle said:
Well I was at 70 monday and just hit 73 today, that's with my server being pretty much down all day yesterday. So I'm at a pretty good pace to getting to 80 quickly.
The biggest problem is when you invest a certain amount of time and you realize how much time has passed, yet you are not even close to hitting the next level. That's when the mentality of "I am wasting my time, this shit is taking forever" kicks in.

Chris R

Dungeons are pretty much a waste of time when leveling IMO. Do HF/BT complete (get the achievement) and then go do the other zone. Transition into DB and then GH. You should be 77 by then and can jump straight to whatever zone you want (depends on class at this point where you can/should go).

firex

I do one random daily on my warrior but it's because queue times for tank are instant. And with rest it's like 15% of a level, maybe more. At this point I will hit 80 before I finish the dragonblight achievement, so I'll get tons of gold grinding other zones (which I'm going to do just so I can farm those stupid dungeon reps).

markot

Banned
I am disagreement.

At least do the dailys and the quests in them >.< nice xp and rewards so your not all in greens come 80!

firex

That's the plan for me, too. Mainly I just need to get some dps gear to replace the heirlooms I'll be dropping after I'm 80.

ampere

notworksafe said:
You main a Shaman?
I did in BC, so I'm used to this :(
I do and I really hope the fact that Ancestral Swiftness was removed in the latest beta build means that Ghost Wolf is always instant cast...
I hope..
D:

CassSept

LAUGHTREY said:
I like when rogues could do 20k damage to players right when Wotlk came out.
Glyphed vigor and BE racial = :lol
Enter with mutilate, second mutilate, belf racial and eviscerate and bam! 2 GCDs were enough for most of the classes:lol

Swag

CassSept said:
Glyphed vigor and BE racial = :lol
Enter with mutilate, second mutilate, belf racial and eviscerate and bam! 2 GCDs were enough for most of the classes:lol

Arcane Mage / Mut Rogue in 2s arena, funnest times I've ever had in that place, other then H Pala / Unholy DK

Sciz

ciaossu said:
I do and I really hope the fact that Ancestral Swiftness was removed in the latest beta build means that Ghost Wolf is always instant cast...
I hope..
D:
Seems to be a bug according to GC, like Power Infusion going missing in the last build.

ampere

Sciz said:
Seems to be a bug according to GC, like Power Infusion going missing in the last build.
Just saw that... phew :lol

To be honest I guess it's dumb to worry about changes from patch to patch in the beta anyway.

Nymerio

rhfb said:
Dungeons are pretty much a waste of time when leveling IMO. Do HF/BT complete (get the achievement) and then go do the other zone. Transition into DB and then GH. You should be 77 by then and can jump straight to whatever zone you want (depends on class at this point where you can/should go).

Not if you're prot specced. I leveled my warrior vom 68 to 80 only through dungeons, the amount of xp you get is crazy and you definitly level faster than when you're questing. You just have to set a good pace when running instances.

Tacitus_

notworksafe said:
You main a Shaman?
I did in BC, so I'm used to this :(

Naww, I have one as an alt. Just played long enough and on multiple classes to know that what Blizzard gives, it also can take away.

we found that holy power made ret far too difficult to play well and when played perfectly gave them far too much burst

Yasser

speedpop said:
Realistically it should only be taking you a day of playing 2-4 hours straight up quests to hit per level. It took me less than 2 weeks to go from 70 to 80.
it took me like a week, but this was before blizzard nerfed the xp in av :(

Tacitus_

They're propably going to nerf the prot warrior talent "Shield Mastery" given that currently it would reduce shield block to no cooldown, shield wall to one minute (down from four) and spell reflect to seven seconds.

Or maybe they won't.

But they propably will.

Manus

I'm currently a Warlock. But yeah, I mainly leveled 10-60 entirely with dungeons. Now I usually just do a couple a day and just focus on quests. I've been saving up for my epic flying mount just hit 2000 gold. Gah, I can't wait.

SquirrelNuckle said:
I don't have the 5000 for an epic flying mount and I need cold weather flying to fly in Northrend which I can't get till level 77.
Just FYI, if you are exalted with Orgrimmar or Stormwind you can get epic flying training in Hellfire Peninsula for 20% off. That equals a savings of 1k gold making the training only 4k. Not sure how known that is but I just recently found that out.

I just recently made 77 and I've only set foot in BT, HF, and DB. I haven't really done many instances either so all that leveling was straight questing. I'd say it takes me around 4 hours for 1 level when I get into a groove of non-stop questing. It's all about doing multiple things at once. :D

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's probably a good thing that you don't do too many instances. You'll see them plenty of time as heroics when you hit 80.

levelled almost sorely from 40-67 on dungeons and BGs... is there a system where people people get to be group leader priority if they have more random completed dungeons under their belts, or do i get priority because I am tank, because I always am leader?

I feel that im getting better at it. getting out of lvl 15-25 range, many of the stupid mistakes have been avoided, and i feel i dictate the groups pacing better... there is the occasional slipup or misunderstand - like this morning at 5 am, i was TC'ing all the scarabs in ZF, but healer was not behind me, so I pulled them all and we all died, but we still made it through and got most of the bosses!

but yeah...

I think, the thing that I have noticed in groups is that nothing productive comes from the people who highlight others peoples flaws or mistakes or playstyles by saying "you fail at X" or "are you a noob?" "WTF u doing?" and so on.

For me it has worked ten thousand times better, even with the problematic huntard, and other inane or annoying players to treat them with respect, and if i critisize them in some constructive way - I usually do it over pm as it does concern anyone else(usually). and I try not to sound condesending.

when people say "healer u fail" or something else just bothersome, that a inexperienced player cant use to anything, its best just to ignore them. It's just people pinpointing other peoples flaws. I think it's a realistic evil in this game, that people do dungeons while being occupied with other shit all the time. half the people you are playing with are probably doing other stuff while playing - eating, watching tv, chatting(in and out of the game) and so on.. are just tired and not aware.

It's that fucking complicated. It's just as in RL, where you naturally(or I at least) tend to not hang out with people who are negative and look at everything from the bad sides... people who look at the positives really seem to get the better results in the game.

But sometimes it's hard not to start a fucking war over some disrespectful player, who faults everyone - regardless of his own skill level. being a dick is being a dick, no matter how good you are, as it's a fucking game, and nobody will give a shit at the end of the day, as we're all just tryin to have fun(motherf**king obvious!).

Evlar

Banned
I've grown particularly fond of the erstwhile player who spends the majority of an instance criticizing me (the tank) for how fast I'm pulling and suggesting I need to learn to play my class, and then at the end blurts out: "Want to do another, tank?"

Bisnic

Vigilant Walrus said:
levelled almost sorely from 40-67 on dungeons and BGs... is there a system where people people get to be group leader priority if they have more random completed dungeons under their belts, or do i get priority because I am tank, because I always am leader?

For dungeons, if you have the flag checked when selecting your role, you will almost always end up being the group leader. I don't really know for BGs since i haven't done them for a while.

notworksafe

Bisnic said:
For dungeons, if you have the flag checked when selecting your role, you will almost always end up being the group leader. I don't really know for BGs since i haven't done them for a while.
The group leader is picked randomly from everyone who has the flag checked. I seem to get it very often though. No point though, since being the leader gives no benefit and everyone listens to the tank anyway.

Bisnic

I haven't seen it posted yet, but the new male worgen model looks quite nice, just look at the face!

UJ1Kr.jpg

Meanwhile, the old races gets uglier & uglier.

Alex

I doubt the old races will get updated at this point. If they're this far along and you haven't seen it yet, just don't expect it.

I think it should have been priority one, especially with the themeing of the expansion, but whatever. Personally I almost don't want to play a pre-BC race just due to how ancient they look. The art direction and texturing on them is just so off now.

Bisnic

Alex said:
I doubt the old races will get updated at this point. If they're this far along and you haven't seen it yet, just don't expect it.

I think it should have been priority one, especially with the themeing of the expansion, but whatever. Personally I almost don't want to play a pre-BC race just due to how ancient they look. The art direction and texturing on them is just so off now.

I'm going to guess it's going to be the thing they will improve the most for the expansion after Cataclysm, i mean what else can they improve graphically that really needs it? They improved shadows in WOTLK, they improved the water in Cataclysm... they should improve the old races next. It's not just the players that use them too, there's also many npcs!

FLEABttn

Banned
Bisnic said:
They improved shadows in WOTLK

They can go and re-improve this. Even on the highest end of the high end, having shadows higher up than a notch can half your frame rate. Not sure how they implemented them, but they kind of suck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Vigilant Walrus said:
Well, a CS and Templars Verdict might be exactly the thing that is enough to make the rotation varied and fun enough. Nobody asked for tons of instant attacks. It would just be good to have a few bread and butter ones.
Well, the problem is, in all likelihood, it's roughly the same as the previous rotation with TV replacing DS.

Bisnic

FLEABttn said:
They can go and re-improve this. Even on the highest end of the high end, having shadows higher up than a notch can half your frame rate. Not sure how they implemented them, but they kind of suck.

I don't know where i saw that, but someone said that they (sort of) fixed the badly optimized shadows in the current beta.

But i agree about that, i lose like half my FPS just by going from 2nd lowest shadows to highest. While i don't lose any FPS at all with the other video options, other than the View Distance.

Loxley

Alex said:

I don't quite get what you mean by "at this point", are we nearing the end of WoW's life span? It's just too late and there is little point for Blizzard to update the old races? World of Warcraft isn't going anywhere anytime soon, there are MMO's that are over a decade old and are still going, if anything you could argue WoW is still in it's infancy in terms of content. Blizzard isn't ending the game post-Cataclysm, hell Cataclysm's whole purpose is to breathe new life into WoW. They will update the old races (wouldn't be surprised if was the next expansion), it's just a matter of when at this point.

It's entirely possible they prioritized updating the old zones in Cataclysm because that's a much more important bullet-point on their "shit that needs to be fixed" list. The old races aren't what's keeping most people from going back to the vanilla content, it's the old n' busted questing and confusing zone tuning that is far more outdated then the lack of extra polygons on Orcs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Loxley said:
I don't quite get what you mean by "at this point", are we nearing the end of WoW's life span? It's just too late and there is little point for Blizzard to update the old races? World of Warcraft isn't going anywhere anytime soon, there are MMO's that are over a decade old and are still going, if anything you could argue WoW is still in it's infancy in terms of content. Blizzard isn't ending the game post-Cataclysm, hell Cataclysm's whole purpose is to breathe new life into WoW. They will update the old races (wouldn't be surprised if was the next expansion), it's just a matter of when at this point.

It's entirely possible they prioritized updating the old zones in Cataclysm because that's a much more important bullet-point on their "shit that needs to be fixed" list. The old races aren't what's keeping most people from going back to the vanilla content, it's the old n' busted questing and confusing zone tuning that is far more outdated then the lack of extra polygons on Orcs.

Somebody asked and they said, "our artists would love to but it takes a lot of work." Read between the lines. They don't pay their artists to fix old shit. They pay their artists to make new shiny shit.

Bisnic

Angry Grimace said:
Somebody asked and they said, "our artists would love to but it takes a lot of work." Read between the lines. They don't pay their artists to fix old shit. They pay their artists to make new shiny shit.

Isn't that actually what they're doing with Cataclysm? I mean, they are fixing 2 old shitty continents.

Xiaoki

Angry Grimace said:
Really? Then why did they update models they didnt have to?

Worgen male, Garrosh, Deep Sea creatures, Naga, Draenei and Tauren Paladin mounts, golems, Faceless Ones, slime, Uldum bosses and more

All these models have current equivalents that could have been reused

It does take a lot of work but I don't believe they ever gave a solid "no" to going back and updated the old models. Unless I didn't read it right. I'm thinking they'll get to it eventually.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Confused101 said:
It does take a lot of work but I don't believe they ever gave a solid "no" to going back and updated the old models. Unless I didn't read it right. I'm thinking they'll get to it eventually.
Not this expansion though, and that's when they need it.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:

They contradict themselves all the time, such as recycling, err, redesigning the old world, and instances because people "wanted it", yet people been complaining now for years to update the vanilla races which character models are very important in a MMO since you stare at them for hours. The old models do look horrendous now though.

Besides, if it was all about new shiny shit to them, I'd have my DAMN DANCE STUDIO by now... :D

Loxley said:

I'm pretty sure he meant "at this point" in terms of what to expect in this expansion.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Confused101 said:

they never say "no" (or even "yes") because things always change.

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=11155927707&pageNo=6&sid=1#101

It's not a 100% confirmation but it's the closest we've gotten in some time.

Then...

Here is a small update on this, an answer to a question that was asked in the most recent Developer Chat on Twitter:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=14129945695&sid=1

Q u o t e:
Q: Still no word on updated player models for classic races makes me angry. 3 expansions with not a single update on it.
A. We definitely want to do it. Our artists would love to - believe me. The worgen and goblin took an enormous amount of art and animation time for Cataclysm. It's definitely on the list though. We recognize the problem with old models in shiny new armor.

You may have noticed that this update didn't exactly provide an ETA, because as you may imagine, a lot of time and work is required to update all the old models. It is on the to-do list however, which should hopefully come as welcome news to most of you :)

If they ever get to this, this will be when they'll finally put in new dances as well most likely. But, they never will get to this, most likely.

notworksafe

Eh, new dances are something I have no interest in. I haven't used /dance for years. Never understood the bitching over the dance studios either.

Bisnic

notworksafe said:
Eh, new dances are something I have no interest in. I haven't used /dance for years. Never understood the bitching over the dance studios either.

He's the only here who bitch about this.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
notworksafe said:
I just want to express the way that I feel in game.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
Isn't that actually what they're doing with Cataclysm? I mean, they are fixing 2 old shitty continents.
My guess is that re-doing quests and putting new stock model NPCs in locations is a lot easier (read: cheaper).

Angry Grimace

Xiaoki said:
Really? Then why did they update models they didnt have to?

Worgen male, Garrosh, Deep Sea creatures, Naga, Draenei and Tauren Paladin mounts, golems, Faceless Ones, slime, Uldum bosses and more

All these models have current equivalents that could have been reused
lolwut? "Didn't have to?"

Those models aren't even finished. They just started the beta like 2 weeks ago. No shit they are still updating the models. Those would fall under the definition of what I just called "shiny new" stuff that they do put effort into.

Another major difference also being that player models have to play nice with customizable options and armor, and NPCs don't.

Bisnic

Angry Grimace said:
My guess is that re-doing quests and putting new stock model NPCs in locations is a lot easier (read: cheaper).

They aren't only redoing quests and adding a few new npcs. Haven't you seen how some zones actually changed?

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
They aren't only redoing quests and adding a few new npcs. Haven't you seen how some zones actually changed?
No, I don't obsessively study the changes to each and every zone. My guess is the overall structure of most of the zones is still pretty similar, however.

In any case, I wouldn't expect or hold your breath on new Dwarf/Human/etc. models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom