• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's first Z fold phone Huawei Mate XT officially launched.

I'm honestly not interested in any foldable phones no matter how many times you can fold it. I would however be into it if they comes out with a rollable phone like a scroll or one of those sun shade things. I feel that would actually be cooler.

bitbydeath

freddy-krueger.gif

RaptorGTA

I enjoy my Folds but the 4 started having issues so I went with the Ultra last year. I intend to stick with it for a few years.

But damn if I had the money, I would buy

GymWolf

Gold Member
Maybe in 20 years from now when they are gonna discover some flexible glass tech or something, right now i look at these things with plastic screen, easily scratchable and with clear separation lines in the display, and they just look like ugly, bulky lab experiments to me.

The tech\materials are nowhere ready for foldable phones without compromises.

Last edited:
very likely this will get released outside of the mainland chinese market.
Unlikely. Not going to say zero chance but chances of Huawei caring about outside China anymore are basically nothing. Soon they will move to HarmonyOS NEXT which completely drops Android compatibility, once this happens they will be fully uncoupled from the West

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
That’s pretty sick. I’d love to dump my iPad and just use my phone, but need the screen size with my old ass eyes. This seems like the perfect solution. I’ll wait for Apple’s version in three years that’s twice as expensive.
In three years apple will have a single fold device not a dual foldable device like this. Rumors are they are working on foldable iPad.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's crazy how Samsung was so far ahead of everyone on this but for the past 3 years they've just decided to coast while other companies have leapfrogged them.

In three years apple will have a single fold device not a dual foldable device like this. Rumors are they are working on foldable iPad.

I think I would rather have a foldable tablet than a foldable phone.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It's crazy how Samsung was so far ahead of everyone on this but for the past 3 years they've just decided to coast while other companies have leapfrogged them.

I think I would rather have a foldable tablet than a foldable phone.
Yeah I think a small tablet that unfolds into a bigger tablet is more practical than this. Still this thing is some next level futuristic shit and it's pretty cool.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Maybe in 20 years from now when they are gonna discover some flexible glass tech or something, right now i look at these things with plastic screen, easily scratchable and with clear separation lines in the display, and they just look like ugly, bulky lab experiments to me.

The tech\materials are nowhere ready for foldable phones without compromises.
Personally, I think we need to develop more exotic materials, for stuff like this to last long, without rapid degradation.

There are many website (such as https://wondamobile.com/) that sell international phones.
In the case of Huawei you'll be buying a device meant for the domestic Chinese market which wasn't intended for export and doesn't contain Google apps. The device will only support Chinese 5G bands. Right now it's easy to side load the Google apps but that will end when Harmony OS NEXT drops Android kernel and the ability to run APK late this year

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I know for a fact current Huawei devices that support 5g run on 5g in America. I'm not sure what their plans are when they move to Harmony OS next but they have a presence in pretty much all of the world except for America. I know they're not going to exit those markets. I'm sure they've got something up their sleeve.

Tams

To each their own, and I jumped on the Samsung Fold at launch, but this just looks too cumbersome for limited extra utility.

A phone that turns into a small tablet? Very useful. A phone that turns into a full size tablet? I don't need to fit one of them into my pocket.

I can see why Samsung and LG still haven't bothered releasing any of their foldable designs like this.

Trilobit

To each their own, and I jumped on the Samsung Fold at launch, but this just looks too cumbersome for limited extra utility.

A phone that turns into a small tablet? Very useful. A phone that turns into a full size tablet? I don't need to fit one of them into my pocket.

I can see why Samsung and LG still haven't bothered releasing any of their foldable designs like this.

I think it can be nice for someone who travels light and often far away.

Edit: I posted two messages, I must be tired today.
5qjQMZy.png

Last edited:

Tams

I think it can be nice for someone who travels light and often far away.

I can see that.

That said, it's also a good idea to have multiple devices when travelling, especially for long distance travel and for long periods of time. You have a backup for if your battery dies, one breaks, you lose one, etc.

For example, I left my phone in a taxi in Tokyo once. I had a tablet with me too though, so I could track where my phone was and have an easy to use map for directions there.

Top Bottom