• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded |OT|- Hijacking the JP OT so Bebpo won't be alone!

NTom64

MAtgS said:
He traveled the worlds during BBS, how about adding a Mickey scenario in the final mix? His appearance on the boxart would finally make some sense.

Oh well, at least there's Days' mission mode.

No, I mean when he met Ansem the Wise.

Scrooge was his Gummi-Ship pilot (said ship hadn't been invented yet as of BBS, hence why Mickey used the Star Shard), and it seems they haven't met yet. Or something. I don't even know anymore with this series. :lol

MAtgS said:
He traveled the worlds during BBS, how about adding a Mickey scenario in the final mix? His appearance on the boxart would finally make some sense.

Oh well, at least there's Days' mission mode.

What the HELL are you talking about.

Seda

TheChillyAcademic said:
What the HELL are you talking about.

Mickey is playable in the Mission mode of Days. He was also entertaining the idea of adding Mickey as a fourth character/scenario in Birth By Sleep: Final Mix.

This was in response to an idea where there could be a Mickey-centric game between BBS and KH1.

Apropos

duckroll said:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/kingdom/recoded/

There are two TVCMs up for the game now on the official site. They also added more gameplay videos in the systems section recently, but I didn't bother posting since no one gives a fuck about import games on GAF anymore.

Saw the Finisher.... Limit Break.... whatever the bottom screen stuff is called video.

I'm assuming the criteria for moving along the branch is a bit similar to Command Styles(i.e. it depends on how you fight)? Or do you select them manually?

duckroll

Fimbulvetr said:
Saw the Finisher.... Limit Break.... whatever the bottom screen stuff is called video.

I'm assuming the criteria for moving along the branch is a bit similar to Command Styles(i.e. it depends on how you fight)? Or do you select them manually?

You select the next passive ability on the branch manually on the touchscreen, and when you level up the charge meter by building it up you activate it and move on through that branch. Finishing moves are triggered when you get to the complete end of a branch. Something like that I think.

Is there any list of worlds this game has and the gimmicks they will have?
Ex: Olympus - Turn Based Combat, Traverse Town - Side Scrolling Combat

Haha, so the secret ending for this game is out and pretty much reveals what the plot of Kingdom Hearts 3D is about.

Sora and Riku's Mark of Mastery test administered by Yen Sid

duckroll

AdawgDaFAB said:
Is there any list of worlds this game has and the gimmicks they will have?
Ex: Olympus - Turn Based Combat, Traverse Town - Side Scrolling Combat

Destiny Islands = block puzzles
Traverse Town = sidescrolling platformer
Wonderland = rail shooter
Olympus = turn-based RPG

The gimmicks for Hollow Bastion and Agraba are related to unique gameplay mechanics in the normal stage I think, as opposed to having a different sort of game mode.

duckroll said:
Destiny Islands = block puzzles
Traverse Town = sidescrolling platformer
Wonderland = rail shooter
Olympus = turn-based RPG

The gimmicks for Hollow Bastion and Agraba are related to unique gameplay mechanics in the normal stage I think, as opposed to having a different sort of game mode.

Thanks. Are those the only worlds? I saw something in a recent gaming mag (not sure which) where
Castle Oblivion
was supposed to be the final world and it would somehow incorporate
the CoM card system
. I also read elsewhere that Disney Castle and Neverland were in the game too.

duckroll said:

Hollow Bastion's gimmick is teamwork, I think.

Sora has no commands of his own but has commands to make his party members do stuff.

The idea of multiple different gameplay types using the same hp/strength/magic/defense stats is pretty cool. Have trouble with shmups? Go dick around on a turn-based combat world for a while and come back with higher stats. Pretty neat concept (not that KH should require grinding).

Fimbulvetr said:
Hollow Bastion's gimmick is teamwork, I think.

Sora has no commands of his own but has commands to make his party members do stuff.

Mainly because (Relatively large spoilers)
Maleficent broke his Data Keyblade and Data Sora is functionally worthless without it.

Darkky

Gosh this reminds me of old times.

I can't wait for this to get localised. Does the JPN version have ENG menus?

Bebpo

Banned
So...just out of curiosity, is anyone else planning on getting this? Or am I the only one importing? I know duckroll is waiting for the US release in Jan.

My copy shipped yesterday from ncsx, so hopefully I'll get mine tomorrow and start playing. Looking forward to it, Nomura hasn't let me down in a while.

badcrumble said:
Has there been a BAD version of Dearly Beloved?

Seriously.

Bebpo said:
So...just out of curiosity, is anyone else planning on getting this? Or am I the only one importing? I know duckroll is waiting for the US release in Jan.

My copy shipped yesterday from ncsx, so hopefully I'll get mine tomorrow and start playing. Looking forward to it, Nomura hasn't let me down in a while.

I was going to initially but with the U.S. release being so soon (relatively speaking), I'm just gonna wait.

I'm all for FM though ^^

Bebpo said:

A friend in Japan bought it and sent it to the US for me so I didn't have to deal with an import shop this time. I been really loving the game, however I went back to BbS for now because I want to finish that first.

duckroll

AdawgDaFAB said:
A friend in Japan bought it and sent it to the US for me so I didn't have to deal with an import shop this time. I been really loving the game, however I went back to BbS for now because I want to finish that first.

That's... really fast shipping. How much did it cost?

Just curious, have there been any confirmed new worlds for this game yet or is it still just:

Destiny Islands
Traverse Town
Wonderland
Olympus Coliseum
Agrabah
Hollow Bastion
Inside Journal Riku
Castle Oblivion

?

Bebpo

Banned
I put about 3 hours in so far and just got to the third world and ...the game is kind of bad?

I mean for a DS game I guess it's fine and all, but for a KH/Nomura game it seems pretty weak. It feels like a spinoff cellphone game, but hey, that's what it is. Yes the combat has been improved and is pretty solid, but there's a lot to the game that is not combat and it's :\

First of all, the camera and controls suck. Sora and the command deck take up a good chunk of screen real estate so your field of view is really small and you're constantly resetting the camera with R taps or just being unable to get a good view. And because the command deck is set to L, you can't naturally turn the camera as your fighting with L/R rotation. The d-pad also hurts coming from BBS. There's also some sort of lag before you jump so you hit jump but he falls off an edge anyhow. :X

Now in combat this makes it less fun than BBS, but doesn't hurt it too much. You still mash up with your commands and watch things explode. Combat is fun.

But the problem with Re:coded is that the game is NON-STOP PLATFORMING. And the combination of a bad camera where you can't judge distances or sometimes even see the next platform decently combined with laggy jump controls and d-pad only movement = PLATFORM HELL. You constantly try to do a set of jumps and fall at some point because sora didn't jump and walked off the block, or you couldn't tell the distance for the next block because it was below your vision and have to go back to the start and try again and again until you get across. I haven't played KH1 in forever, but when I did I remembered the platforming being horrible and frustrating. So I would assume this is similar to KH1 platforming except with 100x more platforming. Every screen you enter is filled with blocks and if you platform them right you get goodies. The main game requires platforming to get to places. You constantly go to data worlds which are filled with gimmicky platforming of disappearing blocks and bouncy blocks and essentially non-stop platforming. Even the 2nd side-scroller part I was really looking forward to came off as pretty awful because it was non-stop platforming with a high-speed auto-scroll stage and laggy controls.

There's also not a whole lot of combat or exploration or story or anything other than platforming. Platforming is like 90% of your game time.

Anyhow when you're not platforming, the level up method is pretty good. It's very similar to the 358/2 days panel system but done in a different way. I like it, but I also liked the panel system so at this point I don't know if it's really better or worse.

The story is ok. It's just fillerish mainly but I enjoy it because it breaks up platform hell and I like the KH/Disney characters.

Anyhow, it's probably best to just temper expectations a bit. Despite pretty-ing it up a bit and making the combat good, this is still just a remake of a cellphone game. IMO It's really even less of a game than Re:CoM, since at least that was based on a full fledged GBA title. It's fine for what it is, and I still have a lot of gameplay sections to experience since I'm only 3 worlds in and maybe they'll stick out as great, but so far it's fairly ho-hum. It's usually not a good sign when I'm 3 hours into what's probably a 20 hour game and I'm already playing "just to get it done". Hopefully it picks up, but yeah first impression is around a 6.5/7 out of 10 game and the worst KH I've played.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, finished this. Here's my take:

For starters, I want to preface this by saying I don't know why this game exists. There is no story, no new areas, no new music outside version of dearly beloved with extra twinkle sounds, only one new enemy A BLOCK WITH LEGS, no new bosses, no new attacks/magics, the entire game is lacking any budget/effort whatsoever.

Actually I get why it exists for cellphones. People don't expect much out of cellphone titles, so throw out a recycled retread on phones and you'll make a few bucks. But why this got made into a DS game without a COMPLETE OVERHAUL is beyond me. Sure the battle system got upgraded, but that doesn't change the battles take place within a cellphone game, and cellphone games really do not belong on the DS.

First let's talk about the main gameplay of the game, aka the mini-games that make up each world. There will be spoilers since I'll list the worlds, but considering NONE OF THEM ARE NEW it's not a huge deal but it will spell out the entire gameplay experience for you.

Destiny Island - standard gameplay

Traverse Town - 2d side scroller = holy ___ this is terrible. Weird auto-scroll + awful physics and laggy controls make for a bad experience.

Wonderland - stealth, decent little mini-game; on-rails = WOW THIS IS BAD. Instead of doing this in peter pan world so you can fly around like Panzer, here you can only run left/right and jump and float down. The controls are awkward and the animation for jumping is really bad. Goes on and on and sucks.

Olympus - Turn-based rpg. Finally a good gameplay system. Plays like Paper Mario and is actually pretty fun. Wouldn't mind a full KH game based on this idea. Otoh the level design of the "dungeon" is bad and full of non-stop encounters so you get pretty worn out by the end. But if you want more you can go back post-game and do even more floors of it!

Agrabah - standard gameplay.

Hollow Bastion - Squad based game. Like the turn-based system this is fun and a nice change of pace. Sit back and dish out orders and attacks to your troops. The only problem is when you fight enemies that can't be hit from the front and trying to get your people to move behind the enemy by moving around yourself is a mess.

??? - SO [explicative] TERRIBLE. Replay through all the worlds again starting at lvl.1 and gaining your levels back through items. Full of the most annoying enemies (blocks that are electric so when you physically attack them you take damage) and awful cramped platforming. Goes on for hours and hours.

Castle Oblivion - Kind of cool. Plays a bit like CoM I guess (still haven't played CoM) you get world cards and each world is represented by a room, in the room depending on what you do you can get 3 different ending cards. Fun until ??? strikes again and they steal all your f%#@ing abilities/attacks/magic and make you do horrible timed platforming with pits.

[ending]

General Pros:
+As mentioned above the turn-based rpg system & squad rpg systems are enjoyable
+The status board where you level up is sort of like 358/2 days panel system but more intricate. It's alright
+You can make cute avatars
+You can test out a new attack/magic before melding to make it

Cons:
-Shop doesn't start carrying an attack/spell once you make it. This limits what you can meld dramatically. Especially because enemies don't usually drop high level stuff.
-Overclock system. Each keyblade has unique passive skills that activate as you use them and then disappear when you do a finisher. Because of how often you do finishers in KH this means the skills only exist for a few seconds and you can't rely on any of them so it all ends up being worthless.
-Because of overclock there are no permanent passive skills like the ones you made in BBS.
-Spells/Attacks level. This is stupid. Instead of melding two attacks to get a new one, 90% of the time two different attacks just meld to the first attack + 1 level. Every attack/spell can be melded up to lvl.99. Supposedly the higher the level the more damage the attack, but a lvl.50 attack looks the same as a lvl.1 attack and doesn't do noticably more damage. So it seems like a waste and all it does is...
-There are barely any spells/attacks. The reason the level system is like that is because they don't want you melding new attacks since they'd have to make and animate more of them! There's probably about 20% the amount of spells/attacks as BBS and they are all the boring non-flashy ones. Even watching expert vids of the final boss fight on youtube people's best attacks are like TRIPLE SHOT FIREGA, BALL OF WIND CHASER, BLIZZARDGA; nothing great and flashy like BBS.
-As described above the 2d sidescroller parts suck as do the on-rails parts
-The framerate is bad. Probably the same as 358 ~15-20fps, but I think it effects the controls in platforming and unlike 358 there is TONS of it here.
-The controls in general feel laggy. In battle it's noticable but especially when you are jumping and you hit jump and he runs off the edge. Whoops. Great in a game with complex platforming. D-pad also doesn't allow much precision when doing angled jumps.
-Camera. SO BAD. You will often not be able to see half or more of the enemies you are currently fighting. The game takes place in VERY VERY SMALL CRAMPED AREAS. Much smaller and more cramped than 358 because they were made for cellphone and filled them with blocks everywhere. Camera is ridiculously bad for platforming. There's one boss fight which is WOW as you have to basically do it blind and it takes forever.
-Level design. Terrible terrible terrible. Like I just said, awful cramped spaces, no real exploration or normal sized worlds like BBS.
-The trial system in the virtual areas where you bet your money on if you can pass the challenge for the next floor is @_@ because a lot of the times you have no idea if you can do it until you see what the stage entails. So you bet blind and sometimes you win big or sometimes you lose big.
-Enemies. For some reason the majority of enemy types are the unfun annoying ones that you can't hit from the front but they take up the whole screen so getting around them is a pain. Or electric block enemies who damage you if you physical hit. Or flying enemies who stay so high you can't reach them. Outside of the standard 2 grunt enemies, everything is not fun to fight.

-Story: there is none. What a joke. Nothing happens; it's all just filler. There are no characters, events, anything of substance. They didn't add anything to the cellphone game in this department besides a 2 min secret movie. The main game has exactly 2 lines relevant to the entire KH storyline and they are in the ending :p What a waste of time.

So yeah, game was pretty bad! At times (Olympus, Hollow Bastion, Castle Oblivion) the game is fairly enjoyable to play and you're happy with it. But the majority of the game sucks and is unfun gameplay + no story + all recycled content for a bad bad game overall. Maybe on cellphones with lower standards this would be fine. I've played plenty of bad cellphone games over the years that were ok because they were convenient and low expectations. But on a DS that doesn't fly. Despite a few changes, you are getting a cellphone port on your DS and being charged full price for it. If SE sells this for $40 in the US I cannot recommend it to anyone. If it's $30 or less, then diehard KH fans might enjoy it somewhat, but for everyone else I'd stay far far away. I love KH but to me this was a 6/10 game. 2nd worst game I've bought this year behind ACE:R which was a 3/10 game.

Finally I just wanted to say that I liked 358/2 days and it's 10x better a game than Re:coded. 358/2 days had A PLOT, CHARACTERS. Sure it was repetitive and lots of ice cream licking but events did happen and the final hour is PURE AWESOME while you play out deep dive in real-time and lots of stuff happens and it has a great finish. In comparison the last 30 mins of Re:coded is nothing. You're just doing platforming and then a boss shows up and you fight and the game ends BECAUSE THERE WAS NO PLOT. Also 358/2 days has far more open areas that give you room to fight and let the camera not die. You get to fly around Captain Hook's ship fighting dragons or run around twilight town which is good sized and logically connected. Sure 358 no way compares to BBS but what BBS is to 358, 358 is to Re:coded. And it doesn't help that Re:coded is coming out following BBS.

So yeah, H.A.N.D. really should stop making KH games.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh and the game is about 13-14 hours long and then you can grind achievements if you want to get the secret movie.

Jeels

Thanks for those fantastic impressions Bebpo, as a KH fan and one that finds Birth by Sleep to be both the most enjoyable title in the series and sort of a return to my passion for it, your impressions on Coded have been highly relevant.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Since Disney owns Marvel Comics now, I expect Kingdom Hearts 3 to ditch the Disney stuff for Marvel stuff, and to pair Sora with Deadpool for maximum lulz.

Am I nuts for wanting that?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Finally I just wanted to say that I liked 358/2 days and it's 10x better a game than Re:coded.
Not only worse than 358/2 Days, but much worse? Jesus Christ, SE. Oh well, BbS is fantastic, so I will forgive you this time.

Can't say I was really going to buy this anyways. Too much recycling.

Aru

Okay, I'm really disappointed in this game after reading most of your post Bebpo. And you liked 358/2 Days as I did :/ It was the weakest game in the series despite being enjoyable sometimes (and especially at the end). If you say it's worse in all departments, I will not buy it.
No story either, eh ?

I had enough of KH with BBS this year. I can wait for KH3D without playing anymore games in the series.

Thanks for the impressions.

duckroll

Time to hijack this OT for the English release! Since no one can be bothered to make a new OT for the English release, we might as well use this one! Thanks Bebpo! :lol

Epcott

Saw a commercial for this... good ole Haley Joel sounds pretty old, trying to do his best young Sora voice. I was wondering what they would do for the voice acting :lol

hank_tree

I'm trying to finish up BBS before this comes out. Now that I have BBS on my PSPGo it's speeding things up considerably as I have it on me all the time.

Top Bottom