• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded |OT|- Hijacking the JP OT so Bebpo won't be alone!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I wish I hadn't stalled my KH series run back in November. So little console time these days.
I refuse to finish the last 10% of 358/2 until I wrap up Re:CoM (about 60%) done. And once these two are finally over, I planned on back-to-backing KH2 and BbS. Still do. Only once those are completed will I finally dig into Re:Coded. It's sitting on my desk, staring at me. Taunting me.

Peff said:
I get that it's a quick port of a mobile game

More top-down remake, actually.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Wow, dead silence for this game here.. which is a shame as it's pretty damn incredible if you get past the stigma of it reusing Kingdom Hearts I worlds.

So it has an improved version of the great Birth by Sleep battle system (ie: skipping cure commands during normal command usage and using the command attached to your shortcut when pressing the shortcut key) and has all the fantastic "risk vs. reward" systems from The World Ends With You. This is a game that is nothing but pure Kingdom Hearts gameplay.. which surprises me that there's no talk about it as usually people are so dismissive of the plots in Kingdom Hearts games but that's pretty much why they're skipping this one.

The only real negative I can say about the game (other than reusing KH1 stuff again) is the tag mode stuff.. and that's only because there's a few things tied to it in a real awful way. If you just want a pure Kingdom Hearts, relentlessly smashing Heartless, obsessively gathering rare items and making your character more and more and more powerful experience, this is the game.

I hope Osaka Team takes some of the stuff h.a.n.d. did here for Dream Drop Distance.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I can't believe I forgot to mention the different gameplay modes.

The platforming levels are.. okay, not bad, not great, I guess they did what they could without taking away from standard keyblade bashing. The Sin & Punishment levels are actually pretty fun, on the other hand, I could have used a few more of these, to be honest. Then you have a fairly lengthy Paper Mario inspired turn based RPG world. I thought all of these (along with the other world's gimmicks that were plays on the standard gameplay) were a nice change of pace and, other than the Olympus world, none of them take you away from what you're used to for too long.

Then the trophy system.. achievements with a purpose. LOVE IT.

Seriously.. this game rocks.

creid

I'm shooting for 20 trophies only because I thought it wouldn't be too tough. Got the speed run trophy on world 1 with no problems, but worlds 2 and 3 are not so easy. Might just have to youtube that ending after all.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
creid said:
I'm shooting for 20 trophies only because I thought it wouldn't be too tough. Got the speed run trophy on world 1 with no problems, but worlds 2 and 3 are not so easy. Might just have to youtube that ending after all.
I actually got all the speed run trophies except Hollow Bastion I on my Critical Run.

Run through the optional Hollow Bastion system sector a couple of times.. you'll be juiced and will run through everything in seconds.

creid said:

The speed runs really aren't too tough, though initially they do seem so. Remember you need to start THE ENTIRE episode again. Take into account, say in Traverse Town, that it may take you a few tries to memorize where Huey, Dewy and Louie are. But once you do it'll make things fast. Also be sure on stock up on commands that are group clearing and group pulling (magnera etc).

Glide is also your friend. ^^

Kingdom Hearts has never been good as a platformer, and that actually has relatively little to do with platformers - it's the ridiculous floatiness of the jumping mechanics in the game.

The 2D platforming section in Traverse Town was awful precisely because the jumps are so lousy.

That said, the main gameplay is pretty good. And Sora's 'determined' pose in the cutscenes is hilarious.

Pureauthor said:
Kingdom Hearts has never been good as a platformer, and that actually has relatively little to do with platformers - it's the ridiculous floatiness of the jumping mechanics in the game.

The 2D platforming section in Traverse Town was awful precisely because the jumps are so lousy.

That said, the main gameplay is pretty good. And Sora's 'determined' pose in the cutscenes is hilarious.

Interestingly, the auto jump feature is oddly effective on a very basic level. I will say that the platforming in Re:Coded is STILL superior to the nightmares of KH1.

Beat the game on critical and have about 13 or so trophies.

The Avatar/Tag mode stuff is kinda cool and can be exploited using the Wii's DS demo download.

The system sector's can be annoying though. Some of the requirements are stupid. And fuck those assholes with the red shields. Would have preferred real optional bosses like Sepiroth, Kurt(from KH1), Phantom, etc than have some random enemy spawn and chase me around every room in the sectors.

Need to get the Ultima Weapon. But the Zero One is pretty good since at lvl 4 clock it gets Targeting scope which allows you to hit enemies from far away without having to get close to them.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Eliminators become infinitely easier once you've equipped a keyblade with Undo on it (Oathkeeper, I think, has it at level one).

And yeah.. Zero/One is awesome, I hope it shows up in a future game.. even though Targeting Scope is ridiculously overpowered.

Hmm, the Eliminator is the only enemy I don't have all item drops unlocked for.. for obvious reasons. I wonder if the Steal Item ability on Three Wishes would help with that, since it also has Undo, if I'm not mistaken. I shall attempt it once I go back to get my last non-avatar trophies.

Princess Skittles said:
Hmm, the Eliminator is the only enemy I don't have all item drops unlocked for.. for obvious reasons. I wonder if the Steal Item ability on Three Wishes would help with that, since it also has Undo, if I'm not mistaken. I shall attempt it once I go back to get my last non-avatar trophies.

That's how I was able to get all of the items, especially off of The Eliminator.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
TheChillyAcademic said:
That's how I was able to get all of the items, especially off of The Eliminator.
Nice! I've gotten everything else from playing at 10x item drop (or 16x, for some cases, such as the gold mushroom).

I really would like to see this game expanded on without the unfortunate stigma of rehashing plots/worlds. The level grid, system sectors and the cheat devices are all ridiculously addicting. Even a non-canon re:Coded II or something.. since I know most of these things won't be used in another Kingdom Hearts game.

Princess Skittles said:
Nice! I've gotten everything else from playing at 10x item drop (or 16x, for some cases, such as the gold mushroom).

I really would like to see this game expanded on without the unfortunate stigma of rehashing plots/worlds. The level grid, system sectors and the cheat devices are all ridiculously addicting. Even a non-canon re:Coded II or something.. since I know most of these things won't be used in another Kingdom Hearts game.

Yeah the grid system was absolutely fantastic and is one of the better "Upgrade Boards" I've seen in JRPGs as of late. And who knows, the data scape may yet make a return in some fashion...Tron's world isn't completely out of the question anymore.

Is there a way to disable the finisher when you have Max Clock level(wanna abuse Zero One)?

Love the magic/skill combining. Level system is amazing as well. Is there a fly, or is it just the air dashes?

Thought the Avatar stuff was stupid and a waste like the DQ9 tag mode but thanks to the Wii DS demo DL exploit its actually useful. I've gotten about 15 floors so far on my Avatar Sector and a bunch of dress up items.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ExtraKr1spy said:
Is there a way to disable the finisher when you have Max Clock level(wanna abuse Zero One)?

Love the magic/skill combining. Level system is amazing as well. Is there a fly, or is it just the air dashes?

Thought the Avatar stuff was stupid and a waste like the DQ9 tag mode but thanks to the Wii DS demo DL exploit its actually useful. I've gotten about 15 floors so far on my Avatar Sector and a bunch of dress up items.
Not that I know of.. best way is to lay off and let the clock gauge drain but that's not entirely ideal.

Glide and Super Glide are in the game.

The big problem with the Avatar Sector is having to do psychotically long runs to get the interesting prizes (and not having any sort of save/resume for it).

creid

Princess Skittles said:
I actually got all the speed run trophies except Hollow Bastion I on my Critical Run.

Run through the optional Hollow Bastion system sector a couple of times.. you'll be juiced and will run through everything in seconds.

TheChillyAcademic said:
The speed runs really aren't too tough, though initially they do seem so. Remember you need to start THE ENTIRE episode again. Take into account, say in Traverse Town, that it may take you a few tries to memorize where Huey, Dewy and Louie are. But once you do it'll make things fast. Also be sure on stock up on commands that are group clearing and group pulling (magnera etc).

Glide is also your friend. ^^
Yeah, I've only been using the keyblade, and not many commands. I figured killing everything in one hit was fast enough, but perhaps killing several things at a time in one hit is what I need to do. Don't have glide, either. Guess I need some yellow debug units?

Starting to realize that I'm not going to memorize the quick way through these episodes, so I've started making some notes on where to go in Olympus.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
You should be skipping battles as often as possible.. so that basically means just fighting in bug sectors and bosses and yeah, you should be abusing those commands! With the BBS system, there's no reason to rely too much on your standard attacks. I recommend Magnet family commands, they are devastating.. Triple Tracer is another great command at quickly wrecking multiple Heartless.

Olympus is easy.. almost all of it can be skipped.

Go through the quests, I think you get a couple of Yellow Debug Units out of those and get Glide.

Absolutely worth that price. I loved this game, still need to 100% it. It definitely lost some momentum after
beating Sora's Heartless, which was by far the most climactic battle in the game, yet was bizarrely followed by about another hour's worth of turgid Castle Oblivion nonsense.

Highly recommended nonetheless, another hugely enjoyable Kingdom Hearts game, and a lot more rewarding than 358/2 Days.

Cheska

Is anyone still playing this game? I'm only about 7 hours in but I've been having a blast so far. After my mixed feelings about 358/2 days, I was originally hesitant to try this (despite loving BBS), but I thought I'd give it a shot. I played straight through until
Olympus
which is when I got burnt out on the long and boring levels. However I'm now in
Agrabah
, and I'm wondering if these levels are going to be just as bad.

Side note: this is one of the prettiest DS games I've played.

I enjoyed it overall, but Olympus and
Castle Oblivion
are the worst parts of the game.
The false ending is nothing but detrimental - after the epic battle against Sora's Heartless, Castle Oblivion is a repetitive, unenjoyable damp squib.

Cheska

YAY! Glad to hear I got one tedious part down. I actually really like the sections where you have to go into the system and debug it. And the cutscenes are great for a DS game!

It's a lot of fun, and the post-game is very extensive, and difficult.

Feel like doing a fifty-floor version of the Hercules level? No, neither did I.

Kazerei

Banned
So I'm thinking of picking this up for $10 (used). Worth it? I've played all the other KH games, and honestly, I feel like the series lost its charm after KH2 and the story is completely lolwut. But if the gameplay is there, I'd consider.

Kazerei said:
So I'm thinking of picking this up for $10 (used). Worth it? I've played all the other KH games, and honestly, I feel like the series lost its charm after KH2 and the story is completely lolwut. But if the gameplay is there, I'd consider.

Did you like BbS' gameplay system? Enough for a slightly worse variant to sell you on a 10 dollar game? If so, then yes.

Kazerei

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Did you like BbS' gameplay system? Enough for a slightly worse variant to sell you on a 10 dollar game? If so, then yes.

Yeah, the BBS battle system was enjoyable. Good enough to motivate me through the game, at least. Thanks, I'm sold.

Top Bottom