• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded |OT|- Hijacking the JP OT so Bebpo won't be alone!

duckroll

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3183012&p=

1up has a review up: B+.

While Re:coded never does anything that's particularly groundbreaking, it does what it sets out to do very well and adds some fun and interesting twists on the standard formula. As enjoyable as it is, however, I hope this is the last time Kingdom Hearts revisits the same levels again -- I'm ready to stop rehashing the past and find out what's next.

Also, here's the English TGS 2010 trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI27w_ULJAY

Edit: Oh and here's a new interview with Lord Nomura-sama: www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/kingdomheartsrecoded/news.html?sid=6286088&mode=previews

MBison

About a third through this. Definitely disappointed that it's mostly a rehash of KH1 and the story isn't really there (though at least there's stuff going on). But the gameplay is addicting and very well done. The variety of game play modes keeps things interesting. A bunch of little bells and whistles to also keep it interesting.

I'd love a fresh new Kingdom Hearts story, but I still think this is worth playing if you're a fan of the series.

duckroll

http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143432p1.html

IGN has reviewed it.

7.0 Presentation
The good characters are back, though the story is kind of weak.

8.5 Graphics
This is a great looking DS game. Even the talking heads look better than most games on the system.

7.5 Sound
Full voice work during the cutscenes, plus lots of memorable music from the original game's score.

8.0 Gameplay
It's just a lot of fun to hit things with a Keyblade. The gameplay is very eclectic. Bad camera.

7.5 Lasting Appeal
Pretty short for an RPG at about a dozen hours. But there are extra quests and hidden secrets.

OVERALL
Great
(out of 10)

Bebpo

Banned
"It's just a lot of fun to hit things with a Keyblade. The gameplay is very eclectic. Bad camera."

When did Famitsu reviewers infiltrate IGN?

dvolovets

I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game. The (apparent) gameplay variety in this game sounds pretty cool, though. Will I be totally lost if I jump into the series with Re:Coded?

duckroll

dvolovets said:
Will I be totally lost if I jump into the series with Re:Coded?

Probably no more lost than if you had played every other game in the series. Actually you might be LESS confused...

:lol

:(

duckroll

More reviews coming in:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/k...the-most-skip-worthy-entry-in-the-series.aspx

Game Informer: 6.75

Despite the new gameplay types, Re:coded’s mostly recycled content feels too stale to recommend to anyone outside of the most diehard fans.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/217806/kingdom-hearts-re-coded/

Gamepro: 3/5

PROS: Decent graphics, interesting leveling system, plenty of extra challenges and quests; the unique "Matrix System" can actually make several missions legitimately difficult.

CONS: Terrible camera, irritating platforming sections, awkward learning curve; too much content recycled from previous titles; don't bother trying to make any sense of the unnecessarily convoluted story.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-10-kingdom-hearts-re-coded-review

Eurogamer: 5/10

Camera and pacing issues aside, there are few real flaws, but equally there's very little you'll remember once the credits have rolled on the 15-hour campaign. While Birth By Sleep pointed a potential way forward for the series, Re:coded is a disappointing step back. The unshakeable sense of overfamiliarity won't trouble newcomers, but anyone who witnessed that first glorious collision of the worlds of Disney and Square will surely think that Re:hash is a more appropriate title.

Metacritic at 67 right now. 7 reviews counted.

Beat the first boss.

Just unlocked the second CPU and now I kinda want to start over cause I feel I wasted slots in the stats matrix on Blank Chips(Any chips between 2 CPU's double).

Enjoying it so far. Camera is awful but not much worse than Days(put 60+ hours into that). My DSi's R button is messed up though(have to do the blow/suck method every few hours) so its even more annoying.

ExtraKr1spy said:
Beat the first boss.

Just unlocked the second CPU and now I kinda want to start over cause I feel I wasted slots in the stats matrix on Blank Chips(Any chips between 2 CPU's double).

O_O What does that even mean!?! Oh Nomura...

I think I'll pick this up this week. My daughter hasn't touched her DS since getting a Wii for christmas so its about time I take it and make it my own and catch up on some classic and current DS games

duckroll

HamPster PamPster said:
O_O What does that even mean!?! Oh Nomura...

I think I'll pick this up this week. My daughter hasn't touched her DS since getting a Wii for christmas so its about time I take it and make it my own and catch up on some classic and current DS games

The game uses a panel matrix system which is a simpler and more graphical version of 358/2 Days' panel system.

kingdom-hearts-recoded-20110110054909749.jpg

You get various chips from drops which you can place on empty slots which are available, increasing your stats or giving you abilities.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ExtraKr1spy said:
Beat the first boss.

Enjoying it so far. Camera is awful but not much worse than Days(put 60+ hours into that). My DSi's R button is messed up though(have to do the blow/suck method every few hours) so its even more annoying.
According to the manual I just finished reading, you can't uninstall chips, but you CAN swap out installed chips for other chips.

Beat the first two bosses. I'm really enjoying the gameplay system. I really hope that it continues to be used for Kingdom Hearts 3DS.
The keyblade system for this game is the best so far. The variety of ability trees and the option the choose the path it follows is great.
I love how much customization there is in this game, including choosing how challenging you want the game to be, whenever you want.

Kard8p3

Dechaios said:
This is the only KH game that I've had zero interest in.. Come on Square, let's see something refreshing!

From a gameplay perspective this game is quite refreshing actually.

Pooya

gamespot
6.5/10
The Good

* Smart and satisfying keyblade combat
* In-engine story sequences look and sound great
* New gameplay modes offer nice change of pace.

The Bad

* Camera and controls can make platforming miserable
* Worlds are small and bland
* Shallow narrative only serves up rewards at the very end.

MAtgS

ExtraKr1spy said:
Beat the first boss.

You can place new chips over the old ones.

& press select for a wider viewing angle.

Whatever, I'm enjoying it (in Wonderland). More than I thought I would, but maybe that's just that fresh Kingdom Hearts feel.

The linear progression system is okay... I guess? Bugs me that I missed something in Traverse Town. Can you go back later?

So I'm guessing this game is a dud? This OT seems dead especially for hijacking an existing thread. Amazon has a $15 credit right now with purchase but if it's this bad I might wait for inevitable drop in price.

CryptiK

Does the UK version of the game have the foil cover thing Australia's doesnt so I am thinking of importing just for that :p

KamenSenshi

Other than owning CoM for GBA I never played much KH, good place to start as its just a retelling of the first game? Possibly an odd question as I take it the "story" is result of different 3rd graders trying to one up each other by coming up with bedtime stories. Gameplay-wise would it be enough to warrant a purchase?

duckroll

KamenSenshi said:
Possibly an odd question as I take it the "story" is result of different 3rd graders trying to one up each other by coming up with bedtime stories.

No. It's the same 3rd grader trying to one up himself, every 6 months.

Bebpo

Banned
KamenSenshi said:
Other than owning CoM for GBA I never played much KH, good place to start as its just a retelling of the first game? Possibly an odd question as I take it the "story" is result of different 3rd graders trying to one up each other by coming up with bedtime stories. Gameplay-wise would it be enough to warrant a purchase?

It's not a retelling of the first game though...

Well there are basically two kinds of people who will enjoy this game:

1. Nomura
2. KH fans (like myself) who don't mind fighting the same bosses we've been fighting for the past, idk, 8 years. KH fans who enjoy the convoluted and ridiculous narrative/plot.

So, including me I imagine this game has about....2 fans.

I'm enjoying it!!

Oh my god, I didn't think it was possible to make an even more unwieldy camera. Whose bright idea was it to make so much platforming with this pos?

Peff

Welp, Wonderland is easily the worst handled world in the entire series. Olympus Colosseum was a pretty nice change of pace but the reaction time for the QTEs is really rough. I'm (mostly) having fun but they reaaaally need to stop recycling so much stuff... I dunno, I'm not even having problems with the camera and the growth/battle systems are great, but it just doesn't feel like a new game does; all the music plays in my head before it starts, I always know exactly where to go... oh, well, at least there's KH3D and BbS Final Mix to look forward to!

EDIT: Also just like 358/5468+4812*X1 this one doesn't have the shiny cover in Europe :( But if they saved the money to make Tactics Ogre's CE better, then it's all good <3 /nitpick

Bizzyb

Banned
Dechaios said:
This is the only KH game that I've had zero interest in.. Come on Square, let's see something refreshing!

Same here. I'm a moderate KH fan, as I have just about every game they have released except for BBS (I don't own a PSP) but this feels like too much. I'm so tired of Agrabah and Wonderland.

I'll probably pick it up later down the road when I can get it for $20 or less... :/

Bizzyb said:
Same here. I'm a moderate KH fan, as I have just about every game they have released except for BBS (I don't own a PSP) but this feels like too much. I'm so tired of Agrabah and Wonderland.

I'll probably pick it up later down the road when I can get it for $20 or less... :/

Well you can get it for $20 technically since it's $35 w/ $15 video game credit at amazon.

Bizzyb said:

Moreso than Agrabah and Wonderland - Olympus Coliseum.

Seriously. It's been in every single game.

e: wait, only three Disney worlds? Lamesauce :/ Still enjoying it.

Tucah

you speak so well
Played this for a bit after picking it up today, thoughts:

- Battle systems is a lot of fun, and would definitely be more fun if....
- the camera wasn't SO FUCKING BAD. Platforming is a chore most of the times because the camera is so frustrating
-Really, really sick of these Disney worlds. Please never visit them again.
-Storyline sucks, but it's KH so what did I expect

For those who want to use tag mode and don't have anyone to tag with, any wireless DS signal will work.
Ex: Pictochat and Nintendo Channel DS demos.

duckroll

Tucah said:
Played this for a bit after picking it up today, thoughts:

- Battle systems is a lot of fun, and would definitely be more fun if....
- the camera wasn't SO FUCKING BAD. Platforming is a chore most of the times because the camera is so frustrating
-Really, really sick of these Disney worlds. Please never visit them again.
-Storyline sucks, but it's KH so what did I expect

So basically, the game would be better if it were just Birth by Sleep?

Peff

duckroll said:
So basically, the game would be better if it were just Birth by Sleep?

Definitely. Gameplay wise there is very little wrong with the game, the biggest problem (other than the camera I guess but I honestly don't have problems with it, especially since there's an auto-jump) it's just that it's so safe and lazy it's insane: Jaffar returns! A misunderstanding with the Queen of Hearts has her trying to behead Alice! The Cheshire Cat spouts nonsense! Hades tricks Cloud into fighting Hercules!

The level layout is pretty much 90% ripped off from KH1, the new areas are nothing to write home about, and of course the music is the same as always. The world-specific gimmicks are fun though, but they go on for far too long. I get that it's a quick port of a mobile game, but it's games like this that run a franchise into the ground. Given what new stuff BbS Final Mix seems to have, I think it's a better purchase, to be honest. Since you're playing recycled content anyways, play the better content!

duckroll

Man, when it was just Bebpo saying it was bad, I was willing to give this a shot. But somehow it's still not in stores here (I think most stores should get stock today or tomorrow), and with all the negative impressions and Final Mix shipping this week, I'm not sure I can justify paying full price for this...

Kinda bumped... :(

Top Bottom