• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

I can understand that, but I am also seeing anger towards people who enjoy something that you and others do not. It is not like the voice about the game's hype machine and end result lacking many of the items people may have been led to believe has been stifled. It is difficult to see people appreciating what they have played without a pack of posters essentially swarming over it and in some cases doing it quite aggressively.
Perhaps that reason is context. I'd imagine someone saying they enjoyed the game in the OT versus someone saying they got everything that was promised while whining about "ignorant outrage" in a thread about people pursuing refunds due to issues with the game might garner different reactions from people.

E92 M3

I was completely satisfied with the game on lunch. But when I started getting crash after crash after crash and had to restart my game because my save got corrupted, the game is unplayable at that point.

I lost 3 hours in a save before, but overall the game was fixed very quickly.

And 50 hours he got his money worth.

Yeah, that's a funny one.

'Hello. Just a quick heads up. Things have changed'

Nine words. That's all they needed to say pre-launch in respect to the things they outlined but didn't make the final build.

A short statement. Something. Anything. It would have helped. Many would have understood and to those who didn't, tough.

Some may well be ignorant but nothing was done to enlighten them

I am sure there are contractual obligations we do not know about. The business world isn't so simple.

One can think the outrage is overblown but the pre-release marketing was misleading and full of promises that were never fulfilled. More damningly, Hello games never made any attempts to clarify that some features they promised never made it into the game. That's a fact.

Now as i said, if you think that's not a big deal that's fine, but there's really no need to defend those kind of marketing campaigns, no matter the size of the team.

Sean has gone on record and stated that he would rather not talk about the game at all. And unfortunately, in interviews he discussed some things they were working on.

except they tweeted about how multiplayer was in the game on the day of release.

Yes, they should be addressed in some fashion.

Bro so much changes. That's not the problem.

The problem is when shit changed or was never implemented, Sean kept talking.

The ignorance lies with ignoring shit like, you know, facts. Every interview and every question was always being answered based on the narrative of the interview. Examples...

Colbert show narrative: it's just so big-
The chances of you seeing someone are so small, you'll never see your character, the only way to know what you look like is to have someone else see you and tell you

Another interview narrative: you can do anything-
You can land on asteroids and comets, you can play with friends, you can grief other players, you can customize your character

When you constantly answer in the positive to the narrative and excitement of the moment, you are spreading bullshit.

Tweets a day or so before launch:
NMS is not a multiplayer game

Tweets POST launch:
We are blown away two players met
(Questioned why they couldn't see each other) servers hit hard
We added a search for other players
Game data mined, MP doesn't exist

It is disingenuous to ignore those pesky facts, unless you just so happen to be a computer scientist who believes people are having fun wrong™

I would like some explanation on the multiplayer tweet, but he has gone on record and said this game isn't about multiplayer. Personally, I didn't care one bit about it. They can always add it later.

As said elsewhere (and I'm a big fan of the game) there's a lot of stuff promised that you might not realise has been cut. The extent of it is actually pretty insane. It's mainly details, but the devil is in the details. The list of stuff missing (which they categorically said existed as recently as March 2016) would have made the game a complete masterwork if it had been included.

A lot of people were getting hyped based on that.

Now a lot of people are refunding based on that.

Yeah, he probably meant "yes you can grief by naming planets with dumb names".

Man.

If they don't announce at some point before 2017 that these things were developed but cut I'm going to lose my shit.

Yes, I know a lot of things get cut, but that is game development for you. The spirit of the game remains largely unchanged. Sean said multiple times he would have rather not talk about the game at all and just work on it.

The cult/Murray defense force is indeed really fucking strong on this thread.

Yes, the common sense defense force. How hard is it to take a step back and think about things instead of "HE LIED!@!@!@123"?

I've been following since the beginning and got pretty much everything promised. Other than that, things change in development and multiplayer was never the focus of this game.

Lots of ignorant outrage on the Internet.

Dude, I've enjoyed the game a fair bit myself (but giving it a break now) and was one of the few lucky ones who only suffered about 5-6 crashes in total over the span of a week or so...and even I can't put up the "got everything that was promised" defense.

I mean, come on man. I'm with you that there's a very extreme, toxic level of backlash leveled at this game and some pretty moronic things being said on both sides...but there is unequivocally no way anyone could defend the game as having "delivered" on what was promised. Objectively that's just not true.

Subjectively it's okay if you've found enjoyment in whatever the "final" product is, I enjoy it as a relaxing walking simulator...but let's not be unreasonable here. They really failed to deliver what was advertised.

Veggy

I honestly cannot believe how anti consumer some people are in this thread, the defense force for this game has blown my mind.....kind of like 2 players meeting in NMS

Consumers have a thousand tools to form a very precise idea of what they're buying.

You couldn't wait ? well, that's too bad but it's entirely on you.
People still think they need to preorder and are even outraged when the embargo for reviews is lifted, god forbid, on launch day.
Like it's their right to throw their money at a developer a pig in a poke, but at the same time they want to be able to withdraw the money if they're not happy with their purchase.
Bullshit.

Stop preordering. Stop rushing to buy your new game on day 0.

Steam should not offer refunds, unless there's fundamental issues with the game (like, it was advertised as working on your system, but it doesn't).
What they could do is offer a cheap trial (3$ for the first hour of actual play time ?) and the possibility to rent games in hours.

Bought a broken product that doesn't work as advertised? well, that's too bad but it's entirely on you.

Yes, the common sense defense force. How hard is it to take a step back and think about things instead of "HE LIED!@!@!@123"?
Seems impossible for most people in this thread, honestly. They don't understand that taking liberties and being creative with the truth is just a part of how marketing works. You aren't entitled to anything he mentioned. And he already stated that the chances that two people would meet was virtually zero. So what if it is literally zero? That's pretty much the same thing in practical and logical terms.

Hektor

I can understand that, but I am also seeing anger towards people who enjoy something that you and others do not. It is not like the voice about the game's hype machine and end result lacking many of the items people may have been led to believe has been stifled. It is difficult to see people appreciating what they have played without a pack of posters essentially swarming over it and in some cases doing it quite aggressively.

I don't think anybody has ever been mad at people enjoying the game.

People are mad at People that are trying to dismiss valid criticism with inane arguments and the ones coming in here just to shame other people.

Or in other words people are mad at obnoxious fan baby's that feel the terrible need to insult me and others cowardly in the OT thinking that they aren't being seen. :)

But I'm an adult, i can Stand above that.

It's perfectly fine to enjoy the game. Nobody's going to hate you for that.

But what isn't fine are people insulting, shaming and silencing the people that dont.

Last time I checked yesterday it was hovering around 180 on the global top seller page on steam, which would be page 7.
It was place 180 or so on the top sellers chart yesterday, which is absolutely terrible for them, great for us.
Hmm, perhaps I'm blind. I even sorted the top sellers list by Steam reviews and still couldn't find it on the last couple of pages. A few dozen posts back, I think someone suggested that the refunds and low sales could result in net negative sales.

Possibly the fastest chart drop in Steam history?

Ok I found this funny
SHOCKING interview about No Man's Sky :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6HHU-j5Css

Good for a giggle.
UG7Ifxw.png

Brilliant and 100% on point.

I don't think anybody has ever been mad at people enjoying the game.

People are mad at People that are trying to dismiss valid criticism with inane arguments and the ones coming in here just to shame other people.

Or in other words people are mad at obnoxious fan baby's that feel the terrible need to insult me and others cowardly in the OT thinking that they aren't being seen. :)

But I'm an adult, i can Stand above that.

It's perfectly fine to enjoy the game. Nobody's going to hate you for that.

But what isn't fine are people insulting, shaming and silencing the people that dont.

As an objective observer, I've bolded the fucking bullshit for you.

I have ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY seen snark and insults directed at people who enjoy the game. LOTS of it. I've seen the OT get called a "circle jerk". Come the fuck on.

There are people being unreasonable, concescending assholes on BOTH sides here. Don't even act like people are above snickering at others for liking something they perceive to be a "piece of shit product that was predicated on lies".

Duuuude. Dude dude. Dude. NO.

RawNuts

Seems impossible for most people in this thread, honestly. They don't understand that taking liberties and being creative with the truth is just a part of how marketing works. You aren't entitled to anything he mentioned. And he already stated that the chances that two people would meet was virtually zero. So what if it is literally zero? That's pretty much the same thing in practical and logical terms.
Yeah, people aren't entitled to things they paid for based on highly deceptive marketing, its so silly to think so. Hello Games should have just shipped out blank discs, since they don't owe you people shit.

E92 M3

Dude, I've enjoyed the game a fair bit myself (but giving it a break now) and was one of the few lucky ones who only suffered about 5-6 crashes in total over the span of a week or so...and even I can't put up the "got everything that was promised" defense.

I mean, come on man. I'm with you that there's a very extreme, toxic level of backlash leveled at this game and some pretty moronic things being said on both sides...but there is unequivocally no way anyone could defend the game as having "delivered" on what was promised. Objectively that's just not true.

Subjectively it's okay if you've found enjoyment in whatever the "final" product is, I enjoy it as a relaxing walking simulator...but let's not be unreasonable here. They really failed to deliver what was advertised.

I should have amended it to add that everything promised within the spirit of the game. Obviously, not every little thing promised.

I honestly cannot believe how anti consumer some people are in this thread, the defense force for this game has blown my mind.....kind of like 2 players meeting in NMS

I don't think you're using the term correctly. Set your afterburners to neutral and calm down.

Exactly. People are getting so emotional and dramatic over a video game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think the live chat is US only, you can call them if you want your refund fast, otherwise just write a email.

No its not. Can confirm that they do work overseas as long as all of your data matches up. Am pretty certain that they are matching the IP you are connecting from with the IP used by your system. As overall the Live Chat is pretty security lax in terms of information they want to prove that you are who you say.

Beefy

This is my first post in this thread, but just wanted to say that Ive always favoured buyer beware over consumer rights. I believe that companies should have the right to lie/mislead in their marketing (to an extent). The market should correct this. The press has the right to give unfair negative reviews. Word of mouth will spread, especially in a world with internet. Companies that do this should fail.

I'm a person who always blames myself. If I bought a shitty product, I should have read more reviews. Why didn't I check the yelp reviews before going to this restaurant? That's on me. I bought Brute Force on day one, and was so mad at myself for not waiting for more reviews to come in.

For the rest of my life, companies are going to lie to me to try and get my money, and I support that! Of course we need consumer rights in terms of safety, etc. But I also like having the choice between a nice $10 stapler, or a shitty $1 stapler from the dollar store.

Companies that lie or "distort the truth" should be called out on it. It's why there is consumer rights.

Farewell

No its not. Can confirm that they do work overseas as long as all of your data matches up. Am pretty certain that they are matching the IP you are connecting from with the IP used by your system. As overall the Live Chat is pretty security lax in terms of information they want to prove that you are who you say.

Oh didn't know that, good to know!

No you can't if you live in Croatia like I do. Kissed my 60$ goodbye.

Maybe try it again in chat since it is possible?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Jeez, when did he say the bolded?

FYI another good example is March 2016 when he said "it's a really low chance you'll meet another players, but we've designed it so that when it happens it will be cool" etc.

Also, he hyped up getting to the center of the universe, going as far too say that "something amazing will happen" when you get there.

Forget all the lies and misinformation, I think the ending alone is a good enough reason alone to be pissed off at Sean and Hello Games.

liquidtmd

Banned
And he already stated that the chances that two people would meet was virtually zero. So what if it is literally zero?

Because 'virtually' and 'literally' don't mean the same thing.

Thats not me being picky about semantics either, they 'literally' are not the same

Take lotto. Tell buyers 'you've virtually no chance of winning' - fine. Doesn't give the company the right to remove the possibility of winning and saying 'You literally have no chance of winning, but fuck it you've bought the ticket now so lol'.

Hektor

I have ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY seen snark and insults directed at people who enjoy the game. LOTS of it. I've seen the OT get called a "circle jerk". Come the fuck on.

There are people being unreasonable, concescending assholes on BOTH sides here. Don't even act like people are above snickering at others for liking something they perceive to be a "piece of shit product that was predicated on lies".

Care to post some examples. I haven't seen anyone doing that just for someone liking the game.

And dude since this threads inception half the OT is people Bitching about this thread. That's very much the definition of a circlejerk.

You tone comes off as really objective btw.

0racle

Look, people cant tear a strip of gamers who requested a refund after many hours of no mans sky, factor in these points.

- many people watch early trailers/marking material and make a purchase based on that premise and promise. They have no need to read post launch impressions and research if in fact the game they saw for 3 years is actually included...

- people go on blackout after they decide they want to buy the game from marketing material HG provided. This is only normal for any entertainment media and why its the devs job to properly sell the game before they SELL the game.

- transparency and communication. Sean has been VAGUE AS FUCK the entire time. That leads me to believe every feature he said is included is in fact BIGGER AND BETTER as he always alluded to because he didn't want to spoil it, wanted to keep it all a surprise because his demeanour and confidence with the game when talking about it made it seem 100% fact he had something special. You could just tell he kept things behind closed doors because he knew it would blow our minds. This was not the case, he was just lying to us and himself for years.

- considering all of this there is a reason why people invested HOURS on end to this game before saying fuck it. and they only said fuck it after finding out through the grape vine the game is jank. I platinumed it on PS4 and invested 40+ hours. I would return if I could. I kept going and going with the game because I was hunting down the features/landscapes/game mechanics as I want towards to the center, I always thought this could not be it, there has to be more and im just not there yet. The moment I found out what was in the centre and what was missing from the game I simply finished the trophies as fast as I could and will never touch the game again. and my reflection of my playtime is not of awe and wonder at what NMS is, its of how much time I wasted and how I feel cheated by Sean for taking advantage of us ( me ).

SomTervo

Pick any of the numerous videos floating around on YT as of late and it'll probably be in there.

Can you customize your character:
Sort of

Anyone would take that as a mild bit of customization, even just something silly like hair color or suit color which, in the end, means yes.

Of you ask me if I have any bosses in my game that are gargantuan and I say "a few", that's a confirmation even though I didn't say how many or yes. That's just common vernacular.

Absolutely.

Maybe, but what he said was "Yes", meaning griefing as in common parlance is inferred to mean mp.

Naturally - I was just flagging up the classic 'pretty much bullshit' reading of what Sean said.

Oh but what he meant to say is you've got an inventory system which is incredibly limiting but you can make it even more limited by locking out certain slots to gain an utterly irrelevant boost to a thing you'll never need because there are no hazards in this game. That's sort of like character customization right? Atleast rpg-lite lvls of depth for sure. /sarcasm

I imagine Sean was an idea guy leading a team of inept yes men.

Heh, that's true. Customisation as in Exosuit upgrades.

It's actually hard to tell whether his words were perfectly chosen to be completely vague about everything so that he couldn't be 'literally wrong' or if it was hyperbolic Molyneux-speak.

Companies that lie or "distort the truth" should be called out on it. It's why there is consumer rights.

Absolutely they should! Honesty and transparency should be the key to long term sustainable success (CD Projekt Red). However, I fully support a company that lies to its target market for short-term success.

Find it. Seriously, find me people who are upset at others for enjoying the game and are bothering them about it.

Gator86

Sadly a section of the gaming community hold a very low opinion of their peers and will always side with the developer or media in these sort of disputes. I'm sure the accusation of being "entitled" has been dropped more than once over the course of the thread.

Personally I think it's great to see the consumer standing up for their rights and Sony/Steam honouring those rights. From a developer perspective I hope the message this sends out is that misleading the customer is no longer a sensible or profitable business practice.

Agreed with all of this. Unfortunately, misleading the customer is pretty great for business, as shown by an early access survival game selling at least a million copies at launch. We'll see how much damage the backlash does here, but I doubt it will deter future Murrays/Molyneuxs from doing the same down the road.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Care to post some examples. I haven't seen anyone doing that just for someone liking the game.

And dude since this threads inception half the OT is people Bitching about this thread. That's very much the definition of a circlejerk.

... and this thread is also spending time bitching about the OT ;). Some people may call it an echo chamber and some people a circle jerk... I think the same behaviour could be better described by the former :).

DoomGaze

Banned
I never got on the hype train for this game so I never got run over by it. I remember that what I saw looked really cool but that
1) I had not idea when it was going to come out, and
2) Simply "exploring" is not going to make for a very good game.

With every new video I'd see some cool stuff, but you need things to do in this landscape. Never saw that and so there was always this tendency to just wait and see.

I waited, and now I see. People are rabid over this game, and I honestly don't blame them. This is becoming more and more of a problem- games being presented as something they're not.

Anyone who starts going down the trail of "You just don't like it because it's not what you expected" or "You're giving developers less incentive to be creative and brave" is not addressing the issue.

The issue isn't expectations. Expectations should always be tempered. But the bigger problem is when developers start throwing out things to generate a craze for their software. I see this happen all the time in every day life. People will just say things and hope that they turn out to be true. They use their own understanding of how life works to project musings about how things they don't understand, work.

This man carelessly said there would be multiplayer. I have zero interest in hearing about how he "technically" did not confirm multiplayer. It's utter nonsense. He knew that people were getting a very specific idea about how this game was going to work, and he didn't do anything to correct that misconception because it was generating interest.

A very similar thing occurred with Dark Souls II, a matter that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The customers were completely, indisputably lied to about that game.

I feel no sympathy for Hello Games or this gentleman. They knew what was going on and they permitted it for the sake of generating more revenue. I'm actually glad that people are getting refunds. Natural consequences are good- they force us to do better.

Tiops

Got my refund on PSN yesterday. Reasons: false advertising and ridiculously low FOV caused motion sickness.

I think I used my "one time only refund" on PSN, but it was worth it.

Beefy

Absolutely they should! Honesty and transparency should be the key to long term sustainable success (CD Projekt Red). However, I fully support a company that lies to its target market for short-term success.

That is were we differ, I prefer companies to tell the truth. Yes every company has spin, but when a company starts to lie what is in their product, that is were I draw the line.

See what you want to see. Everyone seems to enjoy wearing the blinders.

Gator86

... and this thread is also spending time bitching about the OT ;). Some people may call it an echo chamber and some people a circle jerk... I think the same behaviour could be better described by the former :).

Oh, please. Almost every OT is a circlejerk. Go into any OT for any game on GAF a while after release, post harsh criticism, and see if people don't lose their goddamn minds. Sometimes, it feels like the point of OTs here is to just herd the fanboys for a game to keep them out of the rest of the topics. NMS is no different, for better or for worse.

Except I have been here since that started and most of the people here talking about the OT are only doing so because some there are talking about people here behind their backs. I have personally tried to discourage people here lowering themselves to those peoples level if they think they are being childish and to only post something if someone in particular is being talked about behind their backs or something but even then I suggested that a PM would probably be more apt.

I still think it craps up the thread so that's all I want to say on the matter.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Oh, please. Almost every OT is a circlejerk. Go into any OT for any game on GAF a while after release, post harsh criticism, and see if people don't lose their goddamn minds. Sometimes, it feels like the point of OTs here is to just herd the fanboys for a game to keep them out of the rest of the topics. NMS is no different, for better or for worse.

I was not really disagreeing with you on this, just thought the term echo chamber sounded better than circle jerk.

AHA-Lambda

This is my first post in this thread, but just wanted to say that Ive always favoured buyer beware over consumer rights. I believe that companies should have the right to lie/mislead in their marketing (to an extent). The market should correct this. The press has the right to give unfair negative reviews. Word of mouth will spread, especially in a world with internet. Companies that do this should fail.

I'm a person who always blames myself. If I bought a shitty product, I should have read more reviews. Why didn't I check the yelp reviews before going to this restaurant? That's on me. I bought Brute Force on day one, and was so mad at myself for not waiting for more reviews to come in.

For the rest of my life, companies are going to lie to me to try and get my money, and I support that! Of course we need consumer rights in terms of safety, etc. But I also like having the choice between a nice $10 stapler, or a shitty $1 stapler from the dollar store.

I'm sorry but this makes no god damn sense.

SomTervo

Yes, I know a lot of things get cut, but that is game development for you. The spirit of the game remains largely unchanged. Sean said multiple times he would have rather not talk about the game at all and just work on it.

Seriously E92, I argued exactly what you're arguing for untold countless of pages in previous threads.

And I still agree in principle - I believe lots was cut and adjusted to meet the PS4's computational pipeline. However, a certain point comes where you have to acknowledge that regardless of how much changed or didn't change, that doesn't impact on the extent to which Sean talked about the game and the extent to which (even recent) things he said would be there aren't. Then beyond that is the fact that for many, and especially on PC, the game is in a fairly bad state of affairs with a lot more crashes than what you'd expect. I know games that have been knocked back from PS4 certification with substantially fewer crashes.

The fact that he said he'd rather not talk about the game is pretty funny considering how much he did talk about the game and how much that has dug his grave in the eyes of many.

Do you boycott nutella? What about all these companies that have lied in the past?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/16/companies-lied-to-you_n_5318940.html

People have to choose their battles bro, it's times like this where people have begun to take a stand and they see there is a movement of some sort because people are fed up that there is a chance at change.

I like your avatar.

Thanks?... Are you trying to say that my avatar is me being angry at those who are enjoying the game and bothering them about it?...

Top Bottom