• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Jonm1010

Banned
Interesting. NMS does show the issue with Steam's refund policy that sometimes 2 hour isn't enough to figure out a game, especially one that as front loaded like NMS - well, technically you have figured it, but you are kind of expecting something more from then on.

Chances are that the increased refund time is related to performance issues ala Arkham Knight. If NMS had been $20 early access, we'd be having a very different conversation.

Yeah I don't know if steam does its own error logs but it would be nice to see them expand some of their policy. For instances like this or other games where game breaking issues don't crop up in the first 2 hours.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
In this case, it did. Read the thread. Most of the crashes are later in the game when your inventory size gets huge. Or it could be the size of your discovery log. Who knows.
I have and I've read the OT since the beginning with people reporting crashes left and right. I just don't see eye to eye on the "it started crash much more frequent after I progressed further along...50+ hours worth." It was crashing from the beginning for a lot of people left and right lol. That is the actual reality.

It's actually sad. This is a small studio and I'm not sure if they ever recover.

With the way they do business? Good. I don't want any of that crap in any of the other games that I am looking forward to. This should be a lesson for other devs in the industry who had even the slightest intentions of being misleading and overzealous in order to sell their game. Let alone who think it's ok to ship games in the state this one did on both platforms and at a $60 price point. Every one of us, dev or not, are responsible for our actions. They chose to go down this rout and it's not like people weren't giving them an out either. They had a, "get out of jail with just a slap on the wrist card" where they could have said something about a whole lot of the issues when consumers where asking them before the game launched and they chose the worst option. To stay silent.

If they had taken a rout of transparency and openness especially at the prices they where charging, people would have been a lot more understanding just knowing they are heard and would have time to come to terms with missing features and such and would either felt better about spending their money or wouldn't have bothered which would have negated a lot of the loud angry voices from those who really feel like they where ripped off.

There would still be a mess, but it would have been much more manageable and they would have garnered a following of loyal fans. Those kinds of people are your life blood when you are starting out. Why? Because you will make a misstep, it is inevitable. The loyal fans whom you are honest and open with are going to be the first to forgive when you ask for it. They are going to be the ones in the trenches fighting for you and correcting the misinformation or spreading your apologies. Most importantly when you try to get back up on your feet, they are going to be the ones who are going to carry you on through your next project. What HG did though is step all over these people by staying silent.

I have and I've read the OT since the beginning with people reporting crashes left and right. I just don't see eye to eye on the "it started crash much more frequent after I progressed further along...50+ hours worth." It was crashing from the beginning for a lot of people left and right lol. That is the actual reality.

You do know that not every experience is the same right?

Alebrije

Maybe Steam is willing to refund becuase they kept those old videos of the game that not represent the final product and could be taken as mislead marketing

rockyt

I believe this is the right direction in consumer protection for digital purchase game. Basically it sends out a message that digital purchase are not the end all for corporations to make guaranteed money. If product or service do not meet the advertised, promised, or become an unstable mess. Than consumer should have every right to refund.

I'm shocked that you can request a refund as many times as you would like.

No matter what i'm gonna keep spamming it until I at least get a refund.

Jonm1010

Banned
What? The guy posted his fucking error log, he isn't lying.

Bugs can crop up outside the first 30 hours of play. See Skyrim.

EL CUCO

I haven't even been able to find this game on Redbox. How else would you play the game without spending full price on it?

Corpekata

Banned
I went ahead and put in a request. I had about 9 hours logged, trying to give it a good faith effort and since there were a lot of people suggesting it gets good around the 10+ hour mark.

But I just couldn't get myself to launch it anymore. I'm not sure if they'll grant it, and I won't be TOO chuffed if they don't.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Man, I would never want to be a game developer. What a shitty environment in which to release a product.

Well if you do becomes one, release the product you advertise and not something else.

The number of times you can do this is limited. Steam have said they will consider refunds over 2 hours, but they probably need to be approved by a human. If you're playing multiple games for several hours then refunding you can expect this to be flagged as abuse and you will have your refund privileges tightened.

Eumi

Has anybody said anything about the guy who played 50 hours yet?

On topic though, I'm glad refunds aren't too hard to get for NMS. Hello games deserve to take at least a small hit for the misleading stuff they did, not so much as any kind of punishment but more to discourage others from doing similar.

Man, I would never want to be a game developer. What a shitty environment in which to release a product.

I know right, developers actually have to focus on making a quality game now that we can refund the poopy ones and not have to worry about wasting our money. What a disgusting environment.

gagecube

Banned
I just got a full refund from Sony, to my absolute surprise. This is a complete disaster if sony will defy their standard refund policy to keep people happy.

W8ZpzcU.png

Whatever, I'm happy. No Mans Sky was trash

They fostered it, lying and cutting communication when the people who believed in you start asking question is absolutely despicable.

CD Projekt Red and countless developers aren't taking their customers for walking piggyback and re getting rewarded for it.

SenkiDala

That's when I last played it. I've been playing games that actually work.

I was on patch 1.05 iirc which didn't fix it.

I was in the same situation and the patch 1.06 fixed it for me, I was very angry at the game for that (I like it very much otherwise but the dozens of crash made me stop to play), and not it's perfect. Btw a 1.07 patch just came out today, it fixes even more crash.

Maybe it's more the people than the environment...

I mean, if you think that the way you should handle your business is the same way that HG did then please don't.

Alebrije

If you say fake statements no matter if you are a game developer or a CEO of Volkswagen, you have to pay the price.

It's not about being Game Developer , is just being honest

Kyoufu

Since some people still think I bought a dud game and wanted my money back, all I'm gonna say is:

I bought The Order 1886 for $60 and still have it.

I liked it and I liked NMS. The difference is that The Order worked and I finished it without any issues. NMS didn't.

Chobel

I haven't even been able to find this game on Redbox. How else would you play the game without spending full price on it?

Just do what Kyoufu did: buy it and play it until it eventually crashes, then refund the game.

I kid

As a developer I disagree.

There is a degree of toxicity but you can avoid a whole shitload of problems if you:

A) Release a functional game
B) Don't lie out your ass
C) See A and B

If it was a widespread issue, the other 95% of the industry would be on the front page but apparently many of those devs manage just fine.

This isn't the norm.

Ploid 3.0

Hello games flew too close to the sun with this game. It was too much attention and too great expectations. They could have prevented it all but they fed on it.

How is this consumer's fault?

Besides, the game sold over a million copies at full price in the first week. Even if they never work again, and get even 20% of the final cut, the devs are all millionaires now.

And they still haven't addressed any of the complaints with the product, opting for radio silence and the occasional PR blurb.

Since some people still think I bought a dud game and wanted my money back, all I'm gonna say is:

I bought The Order 1886 for $60 and still have it.

I liked it and I liked NMS. The difference is that The Order worked and I finished it without any issues. NMS didn't.

Same here. Hell, I bought the LE of The Order with the statue and I don't regret it one bit. I liked what I was able to play of NMS, but it just became unplayable,

faridmon

That list of crashes is unbelievable/ Good on the person for getting a refund. A game should simply work from start to finish.

I went ahead and put in a request. I had about 9 hours logged, trying to give it a good faith effort and since there were a lot of people suggesting it gets good around the 10+ hour mark.

But I just couldn't get myself to launch it anymore. I'm not sure if they'll grant it, and I won't be TOO chuffed if they don't.

See, that's the kicker, I saw this sentiment posted sooooo much the days following launch. I mean I saw people saying, don't give up yet it gets better... Well what if it doesn't and you go past the refund window? I mean, what if there is actually a game that actually does start to pick up after 10 or so hours... Should the refund window for those types of games be extended where it would cover more than just technical difficulties?

That email on the first page from Sony was me and I still haven't had a response from them from my second one.

I am NOT going to stop emailing until they give me my fucking money back.

I've already told them I'm not buying another thing on the online store until they do so.

Amazon have just refunded me for the physical version of the game. I haven't seen that happen before with Amazon UK. I told them the game was missing advertised features from the final version and they accepted it.

Hektor

A game should simply work from start to finish.

Please don't post such definitive statements out in the open, going by this thread, that statement is definitely up to debate, especially when humble and genuine indie developers are involved.

Saganator

Kinda surprised Sony is giving refunds out to people who played 50 hours, mainly because Sony refused to give me a refund on my season pass for Destiny less than a week after the base game came out. Couldn't even get a refund on content that was still in development.

Top Bottom