• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

faridmon

Please don't post such definitive statements out in the open, going by this thread, that statement is definitely up to debate, especially when humble and genuine indie developers are involved.

I have been playing games for long time and most of the games I have played have rarely crashed on me. The fact that we are defensive on this aspect makes me sad.

LostDonkey

Ok, so it seems it didn't work. I just got this message back via support Email:

"We are unable to refund this purchase to your Steam Wallet at this time. Your playtime of an included product exceeds 2 hours (our refund policy maximum)."

Kyoufu

If it takes you 50hrs to make that determination? Sorry, but I think the window has long since closed on whether it passes fit-for-purpose.

It would have taken me 5 hours to see if it was broken or not if all I did was travel to other star systems. It took 50 because I didn't travel for a long time.

Broken record right here.

If it takes you 50hrs to make that determination? Sorry, but I think the window has long since closed on whether it passes fit-for-purpose.

So let's say a game has a game breaking but that makes it unbeatable, but this bug happens at the 60 hour mark. I shouldn't be entitled to a refund?

Is there any risk in creating multiple refund requests or is it better to just contact through steam support and wait

If you get rejected once, you should contact support.

xRaizen

He said he was playing fine until the game started to crash very frequently. Game shouldn't have been released in that state, therefore it is completely justifiable that he, as a consumer, would demand a refund.

The product is SUPPOSED to work for more than 50 hours, unless you can show me somewhere on the box or PSN store page that says it only works for 50 hours. Until then, yeah, completely justifiable and within his rights as a consumer.

supergiz

Just got a refund from 12 hours of playtime. Although the actual refund said only 86 minutes of playtime.

Good riddance feel so much better after being lied to from NMS.

Zukuu

Banned
If you already got 20+ hours playtime, I'd argue you've got your money's worth, so refunding at that point is as if you would have pirated the game.

rockyt

Want a cookie?

What you describe is not an acceptable state to expect a consumer to have to endure for a $60 product. You want to endure it thats fine, but that doesnt mean everyone else should.

There are games consumer buy and find out they dont like it or a buggy mess. They continue to play it because other tell them it gets better. Believing they cannot do anything about they try to make it worth what they paid even do it is broken and they unhappily play it. There comes a point they cannot take it anymore as they find no enjoyment in the product and what was promised has not materialized along with crashes.

Tried for a refund yesterday, didn't get it. Just the standard Steam refusal because I was over the time played or whatever. I hated it when I was three hours in but figured I already blew my chance at a refund and wanted to see if it got better. It never did and then it sank in how much of a lie I had been sold. If I could have my money back that'd be great but I honestly wish I could have those 15 hours back as well because this game is an abomination.

Every single feature is a hilarious train-wreck of failed hopes and dreams hastily duct-taped together to fool someone for roughly 3 to 4 hours. Everything past that is just you trying to convince yourself this game isn't the boring misery fest it really is. But what really rubs me the wrong way is the fact that the entire store page is still a lie. It's all old E3 build shit that looks like a far more interesting and dynamic game than the stagnant universe puddle we got.

I will keep trying to get refunds until Steam tells me to stop and I'll probably start e-mailing support at that point because this game is a fucking dumpster fire and I for one don't like being conned by glamorized snake oil salesmen.

Ooh and I just remember the please don't spoil no mans sky tweets and shit, I fucking listened like a retarded idiot. I could have checked out any stream and seen this for the shallow shitpile it really is but Sean Chief Liar Murraaaay put that don't spoil yourself shit out there. I wish I'd spoiled it for myself because fuck me, not even Molyneux did this shit to me. His games ended up being okay and fun for the most part. (ignore Godus) But playing No Mans Sky is like getting punched in your anesthetized dick while you try to stave off boredom induced narcolepsy.

So let's say a game has a game breaking but that makes it unbeatable, but this bug happens at the 60 hour mark. I shouldn't be entitled to a refund?

If you get rejected once, you should contact support.

Alright I already did and said that I played about 30 hours and was not satisfied with the game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It would have taken me 5 hours to see if it was broken or not if all I did was travel to other star systems. It took 50 because I didn't travel for a long time.

Broken record right here.

So that 50hrs has no material value? C'mon... at some point you need to accept that it does.

rockyt

If you already got 20+ hours playtime, I'd argue you've got your money's worth, so refunding at that point is as if you would have pirated the game.

Getting your money worth does not equal enjoyment of said product and or services. It's worse if what was promised was not delivered and the state of the game gets worse when your trying to justify the purchase.

supergiz

Tried for a refund yesterday, didn't get it. Just the standard Steam refusal because I was over the time played or whatever. I hated it when I was three hours in but figured I already blew my chance at a refund and wanted to see if it got better. It never did and then it sank in how much of a lie I had been sold. If I could have my money back that'd be great but I honestly wish I could have those 15 hours back as well because this game is an abomination.

Every single feature is a hilarious train-wreck of failed hopes and dreams hastily duct-taped together to fool someone for roughly 3 to 4 hours. Everything past that is just you trying to convince yourself this game isn't the boring misery fest it really is. But what really rubs me the wrong way is the fact that the entire store page is still a lie. It's all old E3 build shit that looks like a far more interesting and dynamic game than the stagnant universe puddle we got.

I will keep trying to get refunds until Steam tells me to stop and I'll probably start e-mailing support at that point because this game is a fucking dumpster fire and I for one don't like being conned by glamorized snake oil salesmen.

Ooh and I just remember the please don't spoil no mans sky tweets and shit, I fucking listened like a retarded idiot. I could have checked out any stream and seen this for the shallow shitpile it really is but Sean Chief Liar Murraaaay put that don't spoil yourself shit out there. I wish I'd spoiled it for myself because fuck me, not even Molyneux did this shit to me. His games ended up being okay and fun for the most part. (ignore Godus) But playing No Mans Sky is like getting punched in your anesthetized dick while you try to stave off boredom induced narcolepsy.

Keep trying. Took me more than 12 times over multiple days to finally get a refund.

Kyoufu

So that 50hrs has no material value? C'mon... at some point you need to accept that it does.

50 hours is nothing in these kind of games.

My playtime in Destiny is over 1000 hours. You're telling me that if Destiny broke after 50 hours I should be fine with it? Come on.

Maybe you need to actually read. It didn't take him 50 hours to make that determination, after 50 hours the game started crashing a LOT. He even posted his error logs.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

If you bought a misprinted book that has the last 3rd cut off, a movie on a faulty DVD that stopped playback 50 minutes in, or a washing machine that stopped working after 100 washes, you should be entitled to a full refund.

He's not paying for play time or "hours", he's paying for a working product that continues to work. His product on his machine became functionally unplayable after 50 hours. He's 100% entitled to his refund and Sony agreed.

My playtime in Destiny is over 1000 hours. You're telling me that if Destiny broke after 50 hours I should be fine with it? Come on.

Your case is well documented here. I don't know why you keep responding to these morons.

Ploid 3.0

Hm nearly 10 days and still no twitter post from sean murray..is he money counting? Or just embarrassed.

dN9jxzC.png

Farewell

So if you get a refund depends on the person sitting behind the psn and steam support computer?
Amazon does that too, it always depends on who sits on the other end of the chat. One person says no, a other guy 5 min later says ok.

I didnt purchase the game, but i really hope you guys get your money back after the lies.

Raist

Banned
Hm nearly 10 days and still no twitter post from sean murray..is he money counting? Or just embarrassed.

They've released 7 patches, improving perfs for many PC configs, fixing stuff, and implementing several of peoples' requests. Probably better for his sanity (or anyone's, really) to stay away from twitter for a bit.

MUnited83

For you.
Not if its broken it doesnt. Same could be said about Skyrim PS3. Game literally broke itself the more you played it, eventually being completely unplayable. Are you seriously going to argue that one shouldnt be able to refund because it played a lot until then?

Ludens

Banned
For people refunding this, follow my advice: buy one copy of Obduction for you and one for someone you love.
The game is amazing and Rand Miller NEEDS to be supported so he can keep on delivering games like this.

MattyG

Banned
So what is the acceptable window? I'm seeking a refund right now and I played around 10-15 hours. Is that unacceptable as well? Where are we drawing this moral line here?

I got my refund from PSN customer support a couple nights ago.

50+ hours of playtime.

Not surprised to see Steam doing the same thing.

edit: Since nobody wants to read threads anymore:

Cqy9V42XYAAa6fh.jpg

What process did you go by doing it? Mine constantly crashes on PS4 too.

You don't need to keep responding dude. You were completely in the right with the refund and you posted evidence of all the crashes. Peeps are gonna keep attacking you but it'll be exhausting if you keep trying to defend yourself. #teamKyoufu

On topic, I got a refund for 2 hours of play. First time ever using Steam refund

I think this is a good explanation to why I didn't enjoy the game, hopefully this refund process will go through. (Also I made a small typo)

20189800b54d5c0b4ac9166b999cb441.png

Sane_Man

Hahaha. Wow.

I've got like 3 hour in Pillars of Eternity and I got bored. I wonder if I can get a refund.

Jonm1010

Banned
I think if you want to measure a games value solely or even primarily by the amount of time it offers a consumer you are going to end up tying yourself in logical knots.

Not sure that is the angle I would take to defend NMS or bash people refunding the game.

Deadbeat

Banned
I think this is a good explanation to why I didn't enjoy the game, hopefully this refund process will go through.

20189800b54d5c0b4ac9166b999cb441.png
Put bugs and crashes first. Dont mention that you didnt like it. Not that it matters since you hit submit but for anyone else. Put the game is broken, list broken things, list missing features promised (multiplayer), etc.

liquidtmd

Banned
Purely on a refund level and nothing more, I would pay good money to have seen how a Superman 64 thread would have played out on GAF at the time

This thread is eye opening.

For people refunding this, follow my advice: buy one copy of Obduction for you and one for someone you love.
The game is amazing and Rand Miller NEEDS to be supported so he can keep on delivering games like this.

I plan on picking it up as soon as they release Vive support. I am stoked.

Top Bottom