• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Foddzy

Neo Member
I'm totally unable to play using mouse and keyboard yet Steam still wont give me a refund, 14ish hours mostly spent idling/troubleshooting. Thieves.

StylusX

Or, you know, read the thread.

It's not his responsibility to cater to people that can't bother to adhere to basic forum etiquette.

Yep I agree but on here lots of people dont even bother to read a op let alone different post in a thread. Sadly that's just the forum we post on :(

Roufianos

Fucking hell, imagine if your TV started cutting out after 50 hours use. You wouldn't ask for a refund?

You're entitled to play a game as long as you like and expect it to work. It's not finite.

Everyone getting a refund should have been more cautious in the first place. A 10 man team making a game with a "bizillion planets". Prrrrf. Give me quality over quantity any day.

I played about 3 hours. Excited to get home and refund this!

Edit: and I didn't even buy this, my wife got it for me for our anniversary. I've felt guilty ever since for having her waste her money on such a shit game. She's gonna use the money to buy the bioshock collection for us both.

rockyt

Fucking hell, imagine if your TV started cutting out after 50 hours use. You wouldn't ask for a refund?

You're entitled to play a game as long as you like and expect it to work. It's not finite.

Everyone getting a refund should have been more cautious in the first place. A 10 man team making a game with a "bizillion planets". Prrrrf. Give me quality over quantity any day.

A TV that cuts out after 50 hours of use I'm pretty sure you can get a refund for it or even repair to it for no charge.

Kyoufu

A tv that cuts out after 50 hours of use I'm pretty sure you can get a refund for it or even repair to it for no charge. Kinda a bad example.

That's the point he's making. You'd want a refund because the product you bought was faulty, as was the product I bought.

Man, I would never want to be a game developer. What a shitty environment in which to release a product.

Maybe it's more the people than the environment...

tbt.gif

hemo memo

Gold Member
Man, I would never want to be a game developer. What a shitty environment in which to release a product.

How dare the people demand money back for the overpriced, falsly advertised, faulty product they paid for. What a shitty industry.

Man it hasn't been a good couple of weeks for Hello Games :/
I honestly have no idea how they recover from something like this and knowing the back story of Sean selling his house and everything it makes it all the more depressing.

Huh? They've made a shit-ton of money and Sean is now a very wealthy man. It's been an amazing couple of weeks for them.

Jonm1010

Banned
and before i get nailed to the cross here's my error log. enjoy

[/img]

lol, we would have like 5 games

You are kinda proving his point with that picture.

You seem like quite the masochist for enduring that and not only accepting it but going to bat for the developer that released a game in that state.

And no, not all games do what NMS has done to that poster. In fact I have played probably 100's of games and maybe experienced something comparable to that fewer times then I have fingers on one of my hands.

DR2K

Banned
I got a refund instantly through the chat support system a few days ago(had to speak to a manager) for PSN. I used it for King of Figthers 14.

xrnzaaas

Maybe I'm exaggerating but aren't they doing this to lower a possibility of class action lawsuits? :) It's not like Hello Games wants to save face. The fans they've lost are long gone and other people just don't care who made the game or won't remember.

Mik2121

Hm nearly 10 days and still no twitter post from sean murray..is he money counting? Or just embarrassed.
For al the shit him and the game are getting, I think this is a bit too much. I would assume it's a mix of overwhelmedness and actually working in the game. He's no PR so probably trying to not simply go there and say something that might get people angrier.

All this debacle makes me feel bad for them actually...

Nice bait, I'm gonna be a game developer and I know that I expect to get shit for whatever I put out.

Welcome to 2016 where game companies see you as Dollar Signs.

Ploid 3.0

A TV that cuts out after 50 hours of use I'm pretty sure you can get a refund for it or even repair to it for no charge. Kinda a bad example.

A TV that's advertised as a 4k TV, but it's actually 1080p with the ability to display 4k videos. It also sometimes act up, it doesn't have all channels, HDMI 4 is really a service port, the speakers work if you have your own, and the revolutionary technology that will surprise you about this tv is that each time you change between tv inputs it has a slick slide show styled transition. $1399

Then it's glitchy as heck, and the sound of your own speakers drop randomly.

Ludens

Banned
It seems like you are splitting hairs. Whether current policy allows it or not, I would argue a game that crashes at the rate it did for him
Is functionally broken. Assuming it has been within a reasonable amount of time owning the game(and given the length of the game I'd be pretty lenient) seems fair game to me.

Also he said he was playing on the latest patch. So he even tried to give them a chance to fix it.

Nah, I'm ony reporting what I would do in such a case. And it's what I did back when Arkahm Knight was released on PC. Played it for 26 hours when Steam and other retailers offered a full refund until December. But since I enjoyed what I played (even if BROKEN like hell), and WB promised a patch pulling out the game from the store, I waited.
After all, I enjoyed it, and there was a promise of being fully playable later on.

For NMS I would do the same if I played 50 hours: if the game started crashing, I would simply take it apart for the moment, reporting the bug since apparently there's some kind of memory leak and waited for a patch. I mean, Hello Games promised free post-launch support and DLCs (yeah, before backpedaling), if I enjoyed the game in that crappy form it is now, there's a good chance those guys will patch the issue and improve it, since they promised it. But it's my opinion.

On the other hand...Sean promised a lot of things. I mean, I'm not even sure right now thinking about that, because since he backpedaled from the free DLCs thing, the amount of false advertisement he did until one day before the release...I'm not even sure the AK analogy could be right, here, because WB really showed they wanted to improve their crappy port, while Hello Games refused to reply to simple questions on Twitter and social media, going on radio silence.

So...I don't know anymore, really.

I wrote this multiple times in different threads: NMS to me feels like a 20€ game sold for three times the price for no apparent reason if not "let's use that hype to cash in as much is possible", so I'm not "knighting" the game or whatever as you can see by checking my post history: so if you feel like a refund is needed, go and ask for it, but if you are liking what are you playing and you invested a good amount of time already, stick with your purchase and maybe a patch will address the issue, since 1.07 was released some days ago.

Please don't post such definitive statements out in the open, going by this thread, that statement is definitely up to debate, especially when humble and genuine indie developers are involved.
Yo.

Throw shade at Hello Games, not the rest of us.

Most of us actually have integrity.

Edit: meant to say integrity. Friend was talking at the same time I was typing this and said dignity in conversation.

Alucrid

Banned
You are kinda proving his point with that picture.

You seem like quite the masochist for enduring that and not only accepting it but going to bat for the developer that released a game in that state.

And no, not all games do what NMS has done to that poster. In fact I have played probably 100's of games and maybe experienced something comparable to that fewer times then I have fingers on one of my hands.

it didn't stop me from progressing in the game. did it suck? sure. but it really only happened during hyper jumps, so i would just make sure to save before leaving a planet to make the jump. if it doesn't crash, great. if it does, a minute or two lost. but maybe i am just a masochist

CVsrbuAl.jpg

Yo.

Throw shade at Hello Games, not the rest of us.

Most of us actually have dignity.

so you're saying that sean murray has no dignity now?

Kerned

Banned
That's the point he's making. You'd want a refund because the product you bought was faulty, as was the product I bought.

Yeah, it crashed a lot for me, but I'm not sure if it's "faulty" or merely terrible (it's definitely at least terrible), but I'm glad people are getting refunds either way.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I hope you all get your refunds and that you all learned a valuable lesson: stop falling for preorder hype culture. This isn't the first time this has happened and it certainly won't be the last.

No Man's Sky looked trash to me from the moment it was shown anyway.

But at what cost?

I'm obviously speaking for myself but i'll never give Hello Games another cent after this shitshow

Not sure that that's a relevant question. It kinda implies that they shouldn't have made the game at all, which is not an option now, and they're obviously much better off having it released it, based on sales numbers.

Some will attribute malice to their development and release, but the truth is probably much closer to "they did as well as they could". And the only way from that is forward. And with the money they ought to have now, they should be able to build on this game, which would be something that is in the favor of the customers.

rockyt

Might as well see if I can refund MCC.

That's a long time to get a refund. Most retail products and service is up to 6 months with a year as max but most places get edgy at the year mark. Some places let you refund stuff even after a year. Give it a try won't hurt though.

50hrs I would've shot you down. You know a patch will likely fix any crashing issues.

No, fifty hours and his problems got worse. Regardless though, even if they didn't I still think it would be justified if he had consistent crashes and bugs. A product should work out of the gate. People have different tolerances for waiting for their product to be fixed. He reached his.

Jonm1010

Banned
it didn't stop me from progressing in the game. did it suck? sure. but it really only happened during hyper jumps, so i would just make sure to save before leaving a planet to make the jump. if it doesn't crash, great. if it does, a minute or two lost. but maybe i am just a masochist

CVsrbuAl.jpg

Want a cookie?

What you describe is not an acceptable state to expect a consumer to have to endure for a $60 product. You want to endure it thats fine, but that doesnt mean everyone else should.

CVsrbuAl.jpg

Dammit caught it too late. Meant to say integrity but I was talking to a friend at the same time :|

And to answer to integrity: nope.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lol so if something you buy doesn't work after 50 hours you just put it down and take it as a consumer?

Come on dude.

If it takes you 50hrs to make that determination? Sorry, but I think the window has long since closed on whether it passes fit-for-purpose.

Top Bottom