• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Soodanim

bruuuuuuuuuuuuh .. get rid of his toxic motherfucker already ..
Hopefully Punk doesn't go back to WWE. Go to NJPW or something and get those super hard chops, you toxic fuck
Don't let me down, I want to see another post in 2 days calling Punk toxic. See you on Tuesday.

This picture doesn't line up with what Tony is claiming....
bWehoRP.jpg
From the story of Joe being the one to get Punk to stop raging and go out for their match, and Punk saying "Bye" after the match, I get the feeling Punk was enjoying what he knew to be one last memory with someone he likes and respects (and two others).

S0ULZB0URNE

Don't let me down, I want to see another post in 2 days calling Punk toxic. See you on Tuesday.

From the story of Joe being the one to get Punk to stop raging and go out for their match, and Punk saying "Bye" after the match, I get the feeling Punk was enjoying what he knew to be one last memory with someone he likes and respects (and two others).

Or it's a work...
Keep a eye on tonight.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Will try my best as more news comes out. Punk truly is the albatross on the modern wrestling's neck.
That company is littered with idiots. All went to fuck when Cody left. His character might not have clicked in AEW but he kept a tight locker room as EVP. Now there is week on week of childish shit coming out. They need to have some man management come in soon and have Tony be hands off.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That company is littered with idiots. All went to fuck when Cody left. His character might not have clicked in AEW but he kept a tight locker room as EVP. Now there is week on week of childish shit coming out. They need to have some man management come in soon and have Tony be hands off.

Atleast now with that one element gone, that a whole bunch of wrestlers and even bookers had an issue with, hopefully the backstage improves and we stop hearing about these kind of things.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Imagine this.

Cody Rhodes is blazing hot gunning for the world title. He comes really close but is assaulted by a masked man. Cody wins by DQ and the masked man continues his beating. The mask comes off and it is CM Punk. CM Punk gets the microphone and verbally berates Cody Rhodes for starting the 'competition' and by extension destroying his legacy.

White hot I tell you.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Let the dudes settle shit themselves in the back like the old days. Stick the Bucks, JP, CM and FTR in a large room together and work shit out the old way. Problem solved, maybe if the Bucks and JP were ever in a real fight and not an aerobics competition they could let off some steam and get over this shit and make entertaining programming...cept for JP, that dude is as entertaining as paint drying

These guys are morons. They left millions of dollars on the table by not setting up a blood feud. Children, not businessmen.

Dthomp

No no sometimes he takes his hands lit his pockets and he can actually. Go. Danhausen and OC are two of the best modern wrestling creations of characters they are stupid on purpose, they know it you know it but they are fucking great to watch and make people smile.

See I don't actually mind silly. I LOVE Danhausen, but Danhausen hasn't been presented as the most unbeatable champion in their company the same way another tiny dude that is there to make small children smile and giggle. I think OC...FOR ME would be much more tolerable in a role where he wins some feuds and loses alot of feuds because in the end...he doesn't care. His character is designed to be able to take a loss and just shrug and move on, and yet the dude is unbeatable. You've got WWE with the unbeatable Roman Reigns who looks like a tank and draws in people and the other place has OC who makes children smile and drives away viewers watching at home most weeks. It's cool that people like him, people liked Santino for some reason, but we have propped up a lower to mid tier midcard guy into a position with the main eventers and the dude just can't hang with them with character and in ring work

Fox Mulder

Will try my best as more news comes out. Punk truly is the albatross on the modern wrestling's neck.

Seems like he just instantly clashed with the Elite and their buddies, who built AEW their way while he comes in as huge star with a fanbase.

Tony Khan was a huge fan and bent over backwards for Punk and even made him his own show and belt to keep everyone apart. Still didn’t work.

dave_d

Seems like he just instantly clashed with the Elite and their buddies, who built AEW their way while he comes in as huge star with a fanbase.

Tony Khan was a huge fan and bent over backwards for Punk and even made him his own show and belt to keep everyone apart. Still didn’t work.
The thing I was realizing about all of this is Punk is literally Hulk Hogan's age when Hogan lost the title to Goldberg. (Yes really) Seems like it worked out about as well with Punk as Hogan.(I guess the shit hit the fan with Punk a year earlier.) To be blunt I would have thought if you hire Punk you'd hire him to do 2 things. One be a special attraction and 2 help make your guys look great.(If that's in ring good, if helping them out of the ring also good.) Personally I think it would be insanely stupid to make him the face of the company since you have no idea how much longer he'll want to do this. It'd be different if he broke out in your company and was 30 but not when he's almost 45 and associated with WWE. (That's an AWA level of stupid of pushing an old guy. Yeah, Verne and Nick got people to come watch them but at that point in the mid 80s the AWA was in deep deep trouble.)

Soodanim

To be blunt I would have thought if you hire Punk you'd hire him to do 2 things. One be a special attraction and 2 help make your guys look great.(If that's in ring good, if helping them out of the ring also good.) Personally I think it would be insanely stupid to make him the face of the company since you have no idea how much longer he'll want to do this.
Helping out of the ring only works if you have a company made up of people who want help. Instead, it's a company of people that refuse to listen to experience.
Adam Page, friend of the group of EVPs, refuses to take advice from veterans. And they have had a fair few around from various eras and backgrounds.
Jack Perry started this recent incident by refusing to listen to Schiavone, Punk, and others and insisting on doing something stupid.
Bret Hart offered to be an agent and they turned him down. Bret The Hitman Hart was turned down when he offered to help.

It's a company made up of people from the top down that don't want to listen to anyone with experience (other than Jericho I guess), they want to do it their way and that's that. Punk, hot headedness aside, represents a different way of doing things - less of the shit they've been doing. But there would be no point in bringing in Punk as anything but an on screen draw because anything else is a waste of breath. FTR get along great with Punk because they respect classic wrestling. But the rest of the younger guys aren't interested enough, so I guess the only choice was to push him until he went he went home (or knocked over monitors and made Khan wee himself).

And because of that, I don't know what happens with Collision now. It started off as the serious alternative to the other shows, and it just lost the top star and driving force. Not much chance of building ratings up with the serious side now, and the network allegedly wanted Punk on there. Does Collision now go away? Do they put Joe on the throne? He's liked and respected, but he isn't a major draw in the same way.

Edit: Apparently Danielson is going to play a bigger part in Collision going forward

Last edited:

dave_d

Helping out of the ring only works if you have a company made up of people who want help. Instead, it's a company of people that refuse to listen to experience.
Adam Page, friend of the group of EVPs, refuses to take advice from veterans. And they have had a fair few around from various eras and backgrounds.
Jack Perry started this recent incident by refusing to listen to Schiavone, Punk, and others and insisting on doing something stupid.
Bret Hart offered to be an agent and they turned him down. Bret The Hitman Hart was turned down when he offered to help.
Punk really needed to have the attitude my late uncle had about things. To be clear he was a Harvard grad and was super smart. He would give his opinion once and only once. If you didn't listen to him that was your loss as he was right the vast majority of the time. If they don't want to listen they don't have to listen and it's their loss. (Punk would get paid either way.) It's not like he owns the company. (Unless he got shares in it or something which I'm not clear what he got for his first run.)

Soodanim

Punk really needed to have the attitude my late uncle had about things. To be clear he was a Harvard grad and was super smart. He would give his opinion once and only once. If you didn't listen to him that was your loss as he was right the vast majority of the time. If they don't want to listen they don't have to listen and it's their loss. (Punk would get paid either way.) It's not like he owns the company. (Unless he got shares in it or something which I'm not clear what he got for his first run.)
I've seen some details that put things in perspective, and I think it's within reason that Punk gave up trying because he felt stonewalled by Bucks (refusing to talk despite efforts) and by the company (Saturday show; destined for failure) so he either stopped caring about keeping his job or actively tried to get sacked. Likely the former, but if him trying to quit twice before is true then who knows.

Dthomp

I've seen some details that put things in perspective, and I think it's within reason that Punk gave up trying because he felt stonewalled by Bucks (refusing to talk despite efforts) and by the company (Saturday show; destined for failure) so he either stopped caring about keeping his job or actively tried to get sacked. Likely the former, but if him trying to quit twice before is true then who knows.

I look forward to the video coming out and more info from Punks side. Sounds alot like bullshit from the Bucks side and not wanting to actually do business and make money so I agree Punk was really left in a spot to either deal with constant bullshit or just be fired. Can't imagine there isn't going to be legal shit where the real stuff comes out. Bucks side are petty and likely not all that smart, and TK really just comes off as a fan that wants to hang out with his favorite toys more then run a successful company going forward. NOBODY comes out of this looking good, but Punk has shown he is still money and ratings, it's just up to if he wants anything to do with wrestling anymore. If he was truly having fun working with the Saturday crew, I hope he gets a chance to go back to WWE for a couple years and work with professionals and hangs them up properly.

GametimeUK

Just a random comment here, but I managed to get tickets to All In and had the best day of my life. Absolutely incredible. I've been waiting for an event like this since Summerslam in 1992.

Feels weird since I was such a Bryan and Punk fan. I went from never thinking I'd see them wrestle again to seeing both of them wrestle live.

It looks like I came a whisker away from not seeing Punk live. I would have lost my shit.

dave_d

I'll make a prediction that if Punk doesn't sue then we never see the video but if he does sue then the video definitely comes out. I have no idea what it'll show.

Dthomp

I'll make a prediction that if Punk doesn't sue then we never see the video but if he does sue then the video definitely comes out. I have no idea what it'll show.

There's almost a 100% chance we see the video at some point. I read on reddit somewhere that the UK has different laws about video recorded at events, to where any party can ask for an get it. I just hope we get the angle where Khan pisses himself when Punk "lunged" at him.

dave_d

There's almost a 100% chance we see the video at some point. I read on reddit somewhere that the UK has different laws about video recorded at events, to where any party can ask for an get it. I just hope we get the angle where Khan pisses himself when Punk "lunged" at him.
In that case we're going to need a big bowl of popcorn.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
There's a picture floating around of punk with one of the honchos of anthem. The parent company of Impact. Taken just a few days ago. Outside of them giving Punk a piece of the company I can't imagine he'd be willing downgrade that far. He's not going to go from wrestling in front of 81k to 1k on a good day. He'll pop back up in wwe.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
There's a picture floating around of punk with one of the honchos of anthem. The parent company of Impact. Taken just a few days ago. Outside of them giving Punk a piece of the company I can't imagine he'd be willing downgrade that far. He's not going to go from wrestling in front of 81k to 1k on a good day. He'll pop back up in wwe.
I can't imagine WWE wanting or needing him. I don't think he wants to be there either. He would really need money to go back. Maybe AJ LEE can support them. I would like to see AJ LEE wrestle some more she was fun.

RavageX

Its not hard to believe this happened. Im not a Punk fan but look at the way this company has been run, look at the way the talent behaves.

It looks like amateur hour and I can see why some people would wanna get away from there.

Im sure he wanted things to MAKE SENSE. Yet you have all these indy folks that just want to do moves that look cool. He might have thought that Tony wanted the same thing and had the vision to do so since he is the authority.

I have a feeling that he and others realize that Tony is possibly just the lead clown.

You cant really change things if thats the case.

NickFire

Its not hard to believe this happened. Im not a Punk fan but look at the way this company has been run, look at the way the talent behaves.

It looks like amateur hour and I can see why some people would wanna get away from there.

Im sure he wanted things to MAKE SENSE. Yet you have all these indy folks that just want to do moves that look cool. He might have thought that Tony wanted the same thing and had the vision to do so since he is the authority.

I have a feeling that he and others realize that Tony is possibly just the lead clown.

You cant really change things if thats the case.
I can agree all day long that Tony's booking leaves a lot to be desired. But love it or hate it, they just had one of the biggest wrestling shows in history for paid attendance. So he's definitely doing something right.

I do think it was a mistake to let Punk run around with his spray painted belt though. To me it suggested Punk had no accountability for the incident last year. An entire PPV's results were wiped out in one fell swoop before Dynamite. All involved should have been apologizing to the fans who paid for the PPV. No one should have been playing victim by claiming to still be the real champion.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Are people expecting this to make Punk look unprofessional? He was right. Regal got information on everything and fucked off. It smelled off from Day 1

Dthomp

I love all the fools at reddit thinking the WWE wouldn't take Punk. Dude draws interest, and in merch sales alone he is worth the money. He can give you 3-4 major feuds a year if used right to help drum up interest and can help put over a few dudes on the cusp after you build him up again. You spend money to make money in that business, and he's shown to be able to draw and sell shit. He would be an interesting heel to take over a main event scene when Roman steps away, come in and shit on modern wrestling fans just wanting all that flippy shit that the minor leagues do for cheap heat and let him be him with a couple of underlings and you got something

NickFire

Tony should go balls to the wall with this last incident. By that I mean license Welcome to the Jungle. Make that into Jungle Boys new theme song. And give him one promo to brag about getting rid of old men before pivoting towards another older wrestler he's sick of and wants to get rid of. Then have him attack backstage with anything glass. Just do it Tony.

Soodanim

Tony should go balls to the wall with this last incident. By that I mean license Welcome to the Jungle. Make that into Jungle Boys new theme song. And give him one promo to brag about getting rid of old men before pivoting towards another older wrestler he's sick of and wants to get rid of. Then have him attack backstage with anything glass. Just do it Tony.
I like the idea of Punk being introduced in WWE as the Real World Champion who was never beaten for his title. Then basically any interaction/promo between Cody and Punk.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I like the idea of Punk being introduced in WWE as the Real World Champion who was never beaten for his title. Then basically any interaction/promo between Cody and Punk.
May I add that the match build with Cody has Punk releasing photoshopped photos with Punk and Brandi Rhodes and saying he had her first.

That would involve WWE acknowledging AEWs existence in The WWE Universe and that is never going to happen outside of that one time Sami mentioned them once years ago.

Soodanim

That would involve WWE acknowledging AEWs existence in The WWE Universe and that is never going to happen outside of that one time Sami mentioned them once years ago.
There have definitely been references I can think of. Billy Gunn making an appearance and DX making jokes and a Roman promo about Cody are two. They could talk about Punk in the same general way, taking a shot without saying AEW

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
There's your real victim in all of this. Poor Ace should turn heel on Punk... fuckin' Phil couldn't turn the other cheek on Jungle Boy and let him keep collecting them Lanny Poffo checks. I'd go ballistic if I lost that kind of gig.

NickFire

Kevin Nash coming in real hot:

"To go back, can we say something first that hasn't been addressed? How about fu**ing a round of applause for fu**ing AEW and Tony for fu**ing putting 80,000 seats in Wembley, for the fu**ing crew that went out there, including Punk and Joe, went out there and fu**ing had a hell of a fucking show top to bottom. My biggest fu**ing thing is instead of that fu**ing being a monumental fu**ing moment for that company, I mean, what comes out on Monday is the CM Punk story. That's sh*ts on top of that whole, I mean, Jericho did a job for Ospreay. I mean like, come on, man. Like, all the sh*t that happened that night and all the work that was put into it and no one is talking about the card. Then you ask me fu**ing if they should bring Punk in? Oh yeah, that's exactly what I want is to put fu**ing 90,000 people in the SoCal Arena over two nights at WrestleMania and then fu**ing come Monday morning, have the fu**ing talk be about some co**sucker who's probably got one of the seven worst bodies ever to fu**ing hold the belt, if not the worst body, ever to hold the belt. and I don't give a fu** if you're straight edge or whatever the fu** you are, there's some fu**ing natural guys in this fu**ing world that actually have fu**ing some muscle."

Nash is spot on though. No matter how many excuses people make for Punk, somehow this guy's backstage drama overshadowed a monumental event in the industry.

Dthomp

Kevin Nash coming in real hot:

"To go back, can we say something first that hasn't been addressed? How about fu**ing a round of applause for fu**ing AEW and Tony for fu**ing putting 80,000 seats in Wembley, for the fu**ing crew that went out there, including Punk and Joe, went out there and fu**ing had a hell of a fucking show top to bottom. My biggest fu**ing thing is instead of that fu**ing being a monumental fu**ing moment for that company, I mean, what comes out on Monday is the CM Punk story. That's sh*ts on top of that whole, I mean, Jericho did a job for Ospreay. I mean like, come on, man. Like, all the sh*t that happened that night and all the work that was put into it and no one is talking about the card. Then you ask me fu**ing if they should bring Punk in? Oh yeah, that's exactly what I want is to put fu**ing 90,000 people in the SoCal Arena over two nights at WrestleMania and then fu**ing come Monday morning, have the fu**ing talk be about some co**sucker who's probably got one of the seven worst bodies ever to fu**ing hold the belt, if not the worst body, ever to hold the belt. and I don't give a fu** if you're straight edge or whatever the fu** you are, there's some fu**ing natural guys in this fu**ing world that actually have fu**ing some muscle."

Nash is spot on though. No matter how many excuses people make for Punk, somehow this guy's backstage drama overshadowed a monumental event in the industry.

While he is right, the bigger issue is the sheer amount of people within AEW that within minutes of anything happening backstage are giving the news to Dave or other outlets. This shit happened behind the scenes and it should have stayed there and been dealt with by TK before it hits twitter and social media IMO.

NickFire

While he is right, the bigger issue is the sheer amount of people within AEW that within minutes of anything happening backstage are giving the news to Dave or other outlets. This shit happened behind the scenes and it should have stayed there and been dealt with by TK before it hits twitter and social media IMO.
I can agree all day long that the ship has too many leaks. But are the leaks a bigger issue?????

Nah, I can't agree there. One year ago AEW effectively wiped out a PPV's results because of backstage drama. Then this year a historic achievement was overshadowed by backstage drama. In my humble opinion, the drama itself is / was the bigger issue. But I still hear what you are saying, and by and large agree with you.

Dthomp

I'd love to know other then his crazy brain thinking that bringing Nia back will somehow make the Rock come back how Nia got into the short list of people Vince always wants to have around. She's easily one of the worst womens wrestlers in history

Richard Packer

Gold Member
I'd love to know other then his crazy brain thinking that bringing Nia back will somehow make the Rock come back how Nia got into the short list of people Vince always wants to have around. She's easily one of the worst womens wrestlers in history
He hasn't been able to beat her in Mario kart 8.

Top Bottom