• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 32 |OT| OHHH! Written in the Stars! A Million Miles Awaaaaaay........

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

I seriously wonder if Zach is getting his mini-push because he's dating Emma and Vince suddenly sees him in a positive light, though that would contradict the whole Rusev situation.
Can't destroy their relationship without giving them a favorable TV time push first.
They can even bring back the exact same angle that Eve worked with Cena and have Emma do it.

Anth0ny

18? Nah...
20? Yep.

18 was unforgettable for Rock/Hogan alone.

19 is mad underrated. What a stacked fucking card. The buy rate was also atrocious. That show was headlined by a McMahon fighting a legend... hmm...

Too well thought out to actually happen

funny that I literally thought of it in 2 minutes during a boring meeting at work

yet a team of writers that work on this shit full time can't think of a cool payoff at a show like mania

I know everything goes through vince but still

Dazzler

Rock vs Hogan at WM 18 is my go-to whenever I need an example of a hot wrestling crowd. I can't think of a match with a better atmosphere

Who else thought 21 was dope, Eddie v Rey, Randy v Taker, Kurt v Shawn, and John winning when he was still somewhat fresh.

On paper, Eddie vs. Rey should be one of the greatest Mania matches ever, but it's never talked about. I know I've seen it but I'm gonna have to watch it again.

Luschient

0Nwb4dp.jpg

This is Texas son! I want that date format corrected and only the CST time zone represented!

Who else thought 21 was dope, Eddie v Rey, Randy v Taker, Kurt v Shawn, and John winning when he was still somewhat fresh.
21 isn't terrible, per se. I'd say the first 2.5 hours are actually damn great, but it fucking craters harder than just about any Mania I can think of after that. Big Show/Akebono sumo match and two main events that were weak as hell. Just imagine if they had the I Quit match and HIAC match during mania.

Sephzilla

Rock vs Hogan at WM 18 is my go-to whenever I need an example of a hot wrestling crowd. I can't think of a match with a better atmosphere

Hollywood Hogan starting to Hulk out while Rock stands there with a look on his face that says "OH SHIT I NEVER CONTEMPLATED WHAT I WOULD DO WHEN HULKAMANIA RAN WILD ON ME" while the entire crowd went ape shit crazy was amazing.

Sephzilla

America, you so crazy with your MM/DD/YY bullshit. Although to be fair, DD/MM/YY isn't much better - the Japanese have the right way of it: YY/MM/DD for life brah.

when someone asks you what today is, do you respond with "today is march thirtieth" or do you respond with "today is the thirtieth of march"?

when someone asks you what today is, do you respond with "today is march thirtieth" or do you respond with "today is the thirtieth of march"?

13th of March, because I speak the Queen's English :p

Also, YY/MM/DD is the only one of the 3 formats that allows files to be properly ordered by date, so there.

Acerac

Banned
1. Create new email
2. Sign up for WWE network for free month
3. Immediately cancel sub
4. Repeat next month.

Free WWE network forever!

Yeah, but then I need to change the login info on like... 4 different devices monthly. That'd take minutes of time. MINUTES!!!!

If I wasn't getting the archives I'd not bother subbing, but they are fun to put on on occasion.

Nekofrog

Banned
The crowd single handedly got me excited for hogan again in the rock match. I didn't know I could ever have been excited about him again after the nwo thing got supremely stale. Hot crowds do so much for the tv viewing experience.

I'm going through all the Mania main events in a build up to Sunday. This monumental undertaking is known as WrestleMainia* and since this year's WrestleMania is... a star... I will be rating each match on a scale of 0.5 - 5 WrestleMania Star stars.

Title by Zach.

iMcGv2L.gif

WRESTLEMANIA I - 1985

Qod8JMJ.gif

Main event: Hulk Hogan and Mr. T (with Jimmy Snuka) defeated Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff (with Bob Orton)

This match is actually pretty enjoyable for what it is: a WWF match from a bygone era where characters where larger than life and barely had to do anything in the ring to get a reaction.

xcyo9Ma.gif

What's maybe most surprising about it to me is Mr. T, the celebrity guest, looks like he belongs in the ring and can hang with the boys. Also, there's no Hogan overcoming the odds moment. No, what happens is, the heels constantly play cheap and in the end it costs them the match, as Bob Orton tries to nail a cheap shot with the cast off the top rope on Hogan, who doges it causing Orton to nail Mr. Wonderful. 1-2-3. Simple and great. Not bad.

Fun wrestling trivia I didn't know: A good portion of the beginning of the match is the heels teasing to fight and taunting the faces without coming to blows. Piper holds his hand out for the tag to get to fight Hogan first, but Gorilla Monsoon notes since no contact has been made in the match yet, no tag is required.

Mild laughter: At one point all hell breaks loose and everyone starts fighting each other, so Snuka gets on the top rope and...

Na0eQM2.gif

I give this 3 WrestleMania Star stars out of 5

olitheoblong

Neo Member
A lot of people seem to think there will be some kind of interference in the shane vs taker match and I agree but I also think HHH vs riegns needs some kind of interference or something like last years WM but I know that cant happen I honestly dunno but the crowd are going to destroy roman, feel little sorry for him tbh.

Zach

I'm going through all the Mania main events in a build up to Sunday. This monumental undertaking is known as WrestleMainia* and since this year's WrestleMania is... a star... I will be rating each match on a scale of 0.5 - 5 WrestleMania Star stars.

Title by Zach.

iMcGv2L.gif

WRESTLEMANIA I - 1985

Qod8JMJ.gif

Main event: Hulk Hogan and Mr. T (with Jimmy Snuka) defeated Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff (with Bob Orton)

This match is actually pretty enjoyable for what it is: a WWF match from a bygone era where characters where larger than life and barely had to do anything in the ring to get a reaction.

xcyo9Ma.gif

What's maybe most surprising about it to me is Mr. T, the celebrity guest, looks like he belongs in the ring and can hang with the boys. Also, there's no Hogan overcoming the odds moment. No, what happens is, the heels constantly play cheap and in the end it costs them the match, as Bob Orton tries to nail a cheap shot with the cast off the top rope on Hogan, who doges it causing Orton to nail Mr. Wonderful. 1-2-3. Simple and great. Not bad.

Fun wrestling trivia I didn't know: A good portion of the beginning of the match is the heels teasing to fight and taunting the faces without coming to blows. Piper holds his hand out for the tag to get to fight Hogan first, but Gorilla Monsoon notes since no contact has been made in the match yet, no tag is required.

Mild laughter: At one point all hell breaks loose and everyone starts fighting each other, so Snuka gets on the top rope and...

Na0eQM2.gif

I give this 3 WrestleMania Star stars out of 5

UiOTpQP.png

Anth0ny

Hollywood Hogan starting to Hulk out while Rock stands there with a look on his face that says "OH SHIT I NEVER CONTEMPLATED WHAT I WOULD DO WHEN HULKAMANIA RAN WILD ON ME" while the entire crowd went ape shit crazy was amazing.

So fucking good. Watching that match as a kid I felt like I was watching the greatest match of all time. The atmosphere was ELECTRIC

The crowd single handedly got me excited for hogan again in the rock match. I didn't know I could ever have been excited about him again after the nwo thing got supremely stale. Hot crowds do so much for the tv viewing experience.

Agreed. At the time, I wasn't looking forward to the match mostly because I was a little burnt out on Rock, and was never that big of a Hogan fan. Then that crowd turned me, and I loved it. Too bad it completely drained them for the HHH/Y2J main event.

WM 17,18, and 19 were all damn good.

UberTag

A lot of people seem to think there will be some kind of interference in the shane vs taker match and I agree but I also think HHH vs riegns needs some kind of interference or something like last years WM but I know that cant happen I honestly dunno but the crowd are going to destroy roman, feel little sorry for him tbh.
Neither of those matches is going to be clean or free of shenanigans. Hell, Brock vs. Ambrose might not be either. Expect overbooking.

UiOTpQP.png

WRESTLEMANIA II - 1986

Main Event: Hulk Hogan (c) vs. King Kong Bundy (with Bobby Heenan) - Steel cage match for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship

This match produced no gifs. That says it all.

But really, if the first Mania main event was surprising in how un-Hogan like I thought it'd be, this one definitely made up for it. Typical Hogan stuff here, all done well but suffers because King Kong Bundy is no Andre or Piper. At least Heenan was there to... be Heenan. Dude is the best character of all time in wrestling.

2.5 WrestleMania Star stars out of 5.

Chopper

So fucking good. Watching that match as a kid I felt like I was watching the greatest match of all time. The atmosphere was ELECTRIC
It is certainly a contender.

When you consider that the epitome of wrestling is about creating drama and a crowd reaction, it absolutely nails every aspect of that.

Two of the greatest superstars in wrestling history, telling an unforgettable story complete with twists, turns and an ending that will reduce you to tears every single time.

It is my go-to "this is why wrestling is awesome" match that I show people who don't understand wrestling. 9/10 times, it makes sense.

Edit: Fuck it. I'm gonna watch again right now. For, like, the third time this year.

Edit 2: Incredible. I'm super interested to know how much of the post-match stuff was called on the fly.

Tears.

UiOTpQP.png

WRESTLEMANIA III - 1987

Main Event: Hulk Hogan (c) vs. André the Giant (with Bobby Heenan) for the WWF Championship

This match gets shit on for a couple reasons:

1) Historically, it's (justly) overshadowed by Steamboat/Savage from earlier in the night.
2) Andre is barely mobile.
3) Hulk Hogan is Hulk Hogan.
4) WWE hypes up Hogan slamming Andre as a never-before thing, when in reality, a couple people (including Hogan) had already done it previously.

Despite that, I think this match is actually good, all things considered. This is the first Mania main event to feel like a Mania main event and that's because it's driven by a compelling, emotional story between Hogan, Andre and Heenan, although I'd argue that it doesn't follow through on the potential for that. Seriously, fuck this guy.

Character driven stuff will always play big to me, even if the actual match isn't my thing or the result is wasted potential.

3.5 WrestleMania Star stars out of 5

mreddie

I just noticed Snickers is the sponsor, they sponsored WM X-7 and XIX to 22.

Also

My WM rankings.

WM 1: C
2: D
3: B
4:C-
5: C+
6: C+
7: D+
8: B-
9: D
X: B
XI: D
XII: B-
13: C
14: A-
XV: D
2000: C+
X7: A-
X8: C
XIX: A
XX: A
21: B-
22: A
23: B+
24: B+
25: C+
26: C+
27: D
28: B+
29: C
XXX: A-
Play Button: B

RBH

WWE has officially updated the plans for Sunday's WrestleMania regarding where the different matches will air on the show.

As of right now, and this could change during the week, the Kalisto vs. Ryback U.S. title match will take place at about 4:30 p.m. Central time, 5:30 p.m. Eastern, and will be a WWE Network exclusive.

The USA Network and WWE Network one hour simulcast from 5-6 p.m. local time and 6-7 p.m. Eastern time (which will also air at WWE.com, the WWE app, and YouTube) will have the women's ten person tag team match and the Usos vs. Dudleys match.

The 20 man Andre the Giant Battle Royal will now be on the WrestleMania PPV card.
http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/full-wrestlemania-card-plus-tv-network-and-ppv-schedule-210166

Also

My WM rankings.

XI: D
XII: B-
13: C
14: A-
XV: D
2000: C+
X7: A-
X8: C
XIX: A
XX: A
21: B-
22: A
23: B+
24: B+
25: C+
26: C+
27: D
28: B+
29: C
XXX: A-
Play Button: B

And Halloween havoc!

1998snickers.jpg

Fox318

I hope the women have the longest match and the crowd starts leaving when HHH mains

as is tradition when HHH is in the main event

you head out to try and beat traffic

18? Nah...
20? Yep.

WM 22 was the last "great" WrestleMania from top to bottom - at least my perspective.

Have not enjoyed a full show ever since, the other WM's have had 1-2 highlights (or one decent match) on each card.

The last WM I hated from start to finish was WM 29.... in fact it's the only WM I have not collected on dvd or blu-ray, while I have ever other. And I won't get another chance to buy it as the Australian distributor for WWE products has changed and the new distributor is not selling the old titles.

15 is my favourite WM guess it was the period in which I watched wrestling, I loved how some storylines ended and others kept progressing at the event.

I HATE one of the more popular events in X-7. Everyone says how epic it was, I however thought it was too boring and predictable. Knew the result of every match before it happened, the Austin-Rock match was soooooo easy to see it was going to be Austin as the heel in a heel turn victory (he was acting the heel in the match, in addition to doing his "Heel" repertoire from 1996).

X8, XIX, XX, XXI were also great.

I was hoping XXX would be more epic, it was lukewarm at best.

UiOTpQP.png

WRESTLEMANIA IV - 1988

Main Event: Randy Savage (with Miss Elizabeth) vs. Ted DiBiase (with André the Giant) - Tournament final for the vacant WWF Championship

After expecting the first Mania 3 main events to have too much Hogan shtick for me too enjoy, we finally reach the breaking point, but it's in a match he's not even competing in. Beyond the Hogan fuckery (which is truly awful) there's just no drama to the match, maybe there's some with context, but I didn't see it play out.

uMZwB5c.gif

jvE5T4t.gif

2.5 WrestleMania Star stars out of 5.

WRESTLEMANIA V - 1989

Main Event: Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage (c) for the WWF Championship

You'd hope for something better with these two icons but Hogan just isn't that kind of performer. Still, at least there's a story (Miss Elizabeth) and they're relatively vicious to each other throughout the match. Hogan bleeds. They tear apart the outside. It's all very dramatic, but never really compelling. Macho did deliver an absolutely gorgeous elbow... that Hogan kicked out of at 1 and three quarters.

fKgzRoY.gif

eTFPbxA.gif

TOx28Bn.gif

3 WrestleMania Star stars out of 5

WRESTLEMANIA VI - 1990

Main Event: WWF Intercontinental Champion The Ultimate Warrior defeated WWF World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan for both titles.

A match between two men whose gimmicks and characters I don't like ends up being the best Mania main event so far! The build up to this match was amazing and mostly consisted of Hogan and Warrior running the ropes and crisscrossing each other. They do a test of strength for what feels like forever, both getting one up on the other. Hogan does a chinlock for what feels like forever. Warrior bear hugs Hogan for what feels like forever. This is a dumb goofy match but it suits their characters perfectly and the finish is great.

6BBK5JD.gif

4 WrestleMania Star stars out of 5.

Rankings so far (ratings always in flux btw)

6 - Warrior vs Hogan - 4/5
3 - Hogan vs. Andre - 3/5
5 - Hogan vs. Savage - 3/5
4 - Savage vs. DiBiase - 2.5/5
1 - Hogan/Mr. T vs. Piper/Orndorff 2.5/5
2 - Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy 2/5

Also

My WM rankings.