• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 33 Week |OT| The Ride Never Ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheHateMe

when he started climbing the ropes i jokingly said to my friends "watch this crazy son of a bitch try a shooting star press or something"

and then he fucking did it

My friend called it just like you did as soon as he stepped on the ropes.

Shane, you crazy mofo.

After sleeping on it, I think that the wind got sucked out of me after the Ladder Match. There were one or two other things I enjoyed (Brock suplexing Goldberg, Naomi winning, Stephanie's outfit) but yeah. The opening was like a solid 8 or even a 8.5, but after the ladder match, it dropped quickly to about a 4.

Like I said last night, Meh/10.

The problem with the "people watch Roman so he should stay on top" narrative is that people aren't watching for Roman
I watch wrestling with queers and kids. They fucking love Roman, though obviously not his meathead promo style and writing he's given.

You guys gotta stop thinking 13-35 straight men in America are the only opinion in wrestling anymore. You're cutting off your own points before they even get started.

It's been the same story with Cena forever. Dude sells the most merch, kids and women love him, but dudes think their opinion is the only one that matters. That proposal and Total Divas also aren't for us, guys.

Auraela

Banned
jim ross is back for 2 years

“It has a specific number of dates that I’m obligated to work, which I think is good for me,” Ross said. “So look at it this way: I got my jersey back. I got brought back to my home team, and my opportunities back in WWE, I’m sure, will be multi-fold.

“They’ve got a lot of things that I can contribute (to), and I’ve been so blessed in the business that I’ve done so many different things,” Ross continued. “I’ve been an administrator and a syndicator, a marketing rep, a VP of broadcasting, a head of talent relations. But the fun part is what I did tonight.

“I hope to have more ‘fun part’ assignments in the future, but I’ve got my jersey back,” he reiterated. “So if the team needs me to play, to work more than they anticipated because they need it, I’m in.”

Sephzilla

I just find Brock's matches to all be shit tbf, it's just a few german suplexes then an F5.
Just wish they put some more effort into these "main events".

that was honestly the most you're going to get out of brock against an opponent who hasn't wrestled a real match since 2004

painey

The Brock/Goldberg match woke the crowd up because it actually surprised them. The whole 'road to wrestlemania' month is bullshit for the real fans, because we already know the plans for WM matches before the feuds even happen, and the finishes are even more predictable. The crowd knew Cena would win and propose, they knew Seth would win with a pedigree, but when Brock lept that spear the crowd legit didn't see it coming. That's the best part of wrestling, the legit surprises.

The Brock/Goldberg match woke the crowd up because it actually surprised them. The whole 'road to wrestlemania' month is bullshit for the real fans, because we already know the plans for WM matches before the feuds even happen, and the finishes are even more predictable. The crowd knew Cena would win and propose, they knew Seth would win with a pedigree, but when Brock lept that spear the crowd legit didn't see it coming. That's the best part of wrestling, the legit surprises.

It's funny you brought up Seth winning with a pedigree because I had a huge problem with that. This storyline was Seth trying to be the old Seth and getting his identity back, yet he uses his authority born finisher? I know you can't use the curb stomp, but use that moment to bring in a new finisher.

It's funny you brought up Seth winning with a pedigree because I had a huge problem with that. This storyline was Seth trying to be the old Seth and getting his identity back, yet he uses his authority born finisher? I know you can't use the curb stomp, but use that moment to bring in a new finisher.
How would a Wrestlemania crowd recognize a new finisher?

Sometimes you have to remember it's just pro wrestling.

Prompto

Banned
That Hardy Boyz return youtube video is number three on trending now. Seems like that was definitely the biggest moment of the night.

Also just noticed Matt's name is listed first.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

Hes said in interviews he still used it so that he could use it against Hunter. One of those revenge deals

How would a Wrestlemania crowd recognize a new finisher?

Sometimes you have to remember it's just pro wrestling.

I get that but idk, while I liked the match and thought it was the best storytelling match of the night, I would just want to see Rollins go full into the 'going back' mode.

Hes said in interviews he still used it so that he could use it against Hunter. One of those revenge deals

That does make sense

studyguy

I haven't watched wrestling since I was a kid in middle school, but it seems like the entire FFXIV community is enamored with WWE at the moment. It's pretty great, hats off to you folks.

Cool to see WWE stars being as goofy and fun as I remember them way back when.

Sami Zayn is a Canadian Muslim and barely over 200lbs.

Dude is never going to get far in the E.

Also suprised Samoa Joe didnt make any appearance at all.

Bronx-Man

Banned
here's a helpful tidbit to remember any time it seems like they may be giving Zayn a push

this is the WWE, and Sami is Muslim
C4uF93zWcAIHZl5.jpg

fhqwhgads

Yeah, I was just coming in to give my thoughts but why even bother. And if I never see someone bring merchandise sales as a topic of discussion I'll be as happy as can be.

Well, Charlotte was great(as always), so that was something.

chargoddess.gif
This just makes me sad that Charlotte vs Asuka is probably not gonna happen any time soon. She's getting better and better every PPV, the match would be 4 stars minimum.

sajj316

Rewatched Reigns and Taker. Glad he retired. Taker just isn't the same. Taker couldn't press up for the last ride. Beyond gassed with his mouth open 90% of the match. That spot where it looked like Reigns was to Tombstone Taker... Most likely Reigns fault but you can't expect a 50+ year old to execute that spot at above 300 lbs. Bad booking. Psycology was there but bad spots and time between spots really pulled this match down. Right guy one last night and was a good ending to put the younger guy over. This in my opinion should have been Takers first loss and the ride home.

Yeah, I was just coming in to give my thoughts but why even bother. And if I never see someone bring merchandise sales as a topic of discussion I'll be as happy as can be.

Well, Charlotte was great(as always), so that was something.

chargoddess.gif

She does this every big PPV but I think this is the first time it looked good.

Charlotte is great though. So far a head of the rest but even with that... I am super board of her character and the way the raw womens division has been so stagnant for so long since they cant do a feud without Charlotte because she is the only one who can carry a program.

I want to say that the camping world stadium is probably the biggest piece of shit stadium I've ever been to, the way the arena is set up is awful and it took nearly an hour to get to our seats in 106r. I'm glad we didn't drive there because the entire road and parking infrastructure looked even more messed up than inside the arena because we walked 2 miles back to the hotel and the traffic to the I4 west ramp was backed up almost the same distance. Please never return there again, it felt like such a huge downgrade after experiencing att stadium last year.

I had a way different experience. Walked up to the stadium at around 5:15PM and got through security and in the building within five minutes. It took about 10 minutes to get to our seats, but that's because we entered on the wrong side of the building.

Leaving wasn't too bad either. About a 30 minute walk down to the garage at the Amway Center and I was on the expressway after about five minutes.

Way better than the clusterfuck that was AT&T Stadium last year which involved not getting to the seats until 15 minutes before the start of the show thanks to terrible security planning, watching people pass out in line and almost not making it back to the hotel because the travel package bus broke down and didn't make it to the stadium with no one letting us know about it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with the "people watch Roman so he should stay on top" narrative is that people aren't watching for Roman and only offer advice for him because he's a consistent blight on shows that have the potential to be much better. In terms of in-ring talent, WWE has never had a better roster. The only time I can remember having comparable ring talent was the Ruthless Aggression era with Angle, Austin, Cena, Brock, Eddie, the former ECW talent, the TLC tag teams, etc. Look to the mid 90s and late 2000s and you'll see relatively bland rosters where people just didn't tune in. If the roster today didn't have talent like AJ, Nakamura, KO, Sami Zayn, Charlotte, etc. or entertaining characters like the New Day, you wouldn't see this resurgence in the product's popularity.

This is really the most frustrating thing about WWE. I would argue that in many ways the in-ring athletic product is far and away the best it has ever been, top to bottom. And yet week in and week out they mass produce utter shit. It makes it way more difficult to care despite the insane levels of talent and ability on display, and it's why WWE has to trot out part-timers and 50 year olds for Wrestlemania every year because they haven't done the job of creating a product that can carry itself.

Sephzilla

How squandered the talent is on WWE's current roster is a testament to why WWE needs some actual competition in the north american pro wrestling market. This wouldn't be happening if Vince actually had some drive to make everyone as over as possible instead of his newest action figure Roman Reigns

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Charlotte got a lot better because she was prominently featured on every show, as champ, for a year. More reps, more time in the primetime spot = more improvement, its not rocket science.

I watch wrestling with queers and kids. They fucking love Roman, though obviously not his meathead promo style and writing he's given.

You guys gotta stop thinking 13-35 straight men in America are the only opinion in wrestling anymore. You're cutting off your own points before they even get started.

It's been the same story with Cena forever. Dude sells the most merch, kids and women love him, but dudes think their opinion is the only one that matters. That proposal and Total Divas also aren't for us, guys.

Theres fuck all evidence that Reigns is raising demographics in any area.

Jacknapes

Just finished watching Wrestlemania. What can i say, that was a damn good Mania. As soon as the Hardys music hit, i marked out. I knew they were coming back, and it seemed set after they lost the RoH Tag titles. Must have a long-term deal if they won the RAW tag titles.

Was shocked a bit with the Goldberg-Lesnar title match, mainly because it lasted longer than i expected it to. Heck, even the Women's title matches were good this year.

Now onto RAW, wonder if Kurt Angle will appear. Heard rumors they are using Kurt as Foley's replacement as GM. Maybe he'll be announced tonight. The crowd reaction is always a blast at the RAW after Mania. Perhaps this year the Smackdown crowd will be just as exciting.

You're using the assumption that they're paying to see Roman in order to win that argument. Do you have any evidence to back that up?
Sure. The seats were still full after 6 hours.

I'm not trying to win any arguments. I'm saying if we actually hate Roman and don't want him or WWE to run with him, none of us should be watching or talking about this. No one should be spending money to see shows he's on. But this is how it's been for years. People can't stop watching and talking about him. He's way over.

Sephzilla

You're using the assumption that they're paying to see Roman in order to win that argument. Do you have any evidence to back that up?

His logic basically boils down to PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT ROMAN THAT CLEARLY MEANS HE IS OVER. You can throw all sorts of evidence to the contrary to him and he won't accept it.

For context, he also tried to justify that Eva Marie was over and a valuable asset to the company.
Later that day she was supposedly getting released by the company.

His logic basically boils down to PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT ROMAN THAT CLEARLY MEANS HE IS OVER. You can throw all sorts of evidence to the contrary to him and he won't accept it.
I don't know what else matters in a capitalist enterprise where money and attention are king.

We've known for years and even know now that the plan for next year is still for Roman to be The Guy. Anyone here going to actually stop talking about or watching this? Any conviction here?

Sephzilla

Any reaction is a good reaction!*

*So long as you're the guy Vince wants to push, otherwise fuck you you're getting stuck in the midcard.

Ninhead

I'm not trying to win any arguments. I'm saying if we actually hate Roman and don't want him or WWE to run with him, none of us should be watching or talking about this. No one should be spending money to see shows he's on. But this is how it's been for years. People can't stop watching and talking about him. He's way over.

X-Pac heat is over?

Chopper

We're usually talking about what a clusterfuck his booking has been, and what a disastrous face his is. That's not an indication he's over. And I watch Raw and attend shows despite that fact he's on it, not becasue he's on it. Just because there is a television audience, and fans in attendance, that is not an indication that they're investing in Roman in any way.

You don't know what X-Pac heat is. (It's groans and silence and channel switching.)

Roman gets sustained boos and generates infinite discussion online. That's an over heel to you.

Anyone planning to actually treat Roman like X-Pac and ignore him out of apathy?

X-Pac got booed to fucking hell though. It's literally why the term exists.

Skatterd

Undertaker could have wrestled a mop in the main event and the seats would still be full

Anth0ny

You don't know what X-Pac heat is. (It's groans and silence and channel switching.)

Roman gets sustained boos and generates infinite discussion online. That's an over heel to you.

Anyone planning to actually treat Roman like X-Pac and ignore him out of apathy?

Look at the ratings since mania 31

Roman as the guy is not over

Raging Spaniard

I mean, the Undertaker just fucking retired and this thread is still all about Roman Reigns.

Thats good heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom