• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 33 Week |OT| The Ride Never Ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tall4Life

reigns.gif

gun_haver

i'm probably just taking this too seriously, but i think WWE shouldn't be having characters go out and explicitly imitate characters from other media. Just makes the wrestlers seem even more second rate creatively than they actually are. Come up with your own crap. Cosplay is for the congoers.

i'm probably just taking this too seriously, but i think WWE shouldn't be having characters go out and explicitly imitate characters from other media. Just makes the wrestlers seem even more second rate creatively than they actually are. Come up with your own crap. Cosplay is for the congoers.

It is usually their own spin on the character, so it is not too bad. i feel like Mysterio was one of the first to do it regular. They HHH did it (although his stuff had a PR spin to it). Balor's persona is basically Venom, and his other NXT PPV personas had many horror film influences.

In others words, I dont mind it, as long as the person is excited to pay homage to something they enjoy.

you know it's fake, right

Cagey

Banned
The Roman War Wagon arrives tomorrow, friends.
We allowing newcomers to sit quietly in the back of the wagon or keeping the door closed and the guest list exclusive as the War Wagon goes on its rampage? We can't lose control of the door to the club, Uce. That's when the club becomes lame.

We allowing newcomers to sit quietly in the back of the wagon or keeping the door closed and the guest list exclusive as the War Wagon goes on its rampage? We can't lose control of the door to the club, Uce. That's when the club becomes lame.

We're the War Wagon, not the Band Wagon, friend Cagey.

MG310

It's a fun thing that will go over well with the kids. I like it as a special one-off thing for Mania or another high profile show rather than when it becomes the full time look. Alexa ditched the Harley look pretty quickly even if her merch didn't.

I will never defend that awful Terminator ad Triple H entrance though in idea or execution.

gun_haver

It is usually their own spin on the character, so it is not too bad. i feel like Mysterio was one of the first to do it regular. They HHH did it (although his stuff had a PR spin to it). Balor's persona is basically Venom, and his other NXT PPV personas had many horror film influences.

In others words, I dont mind it, as long as the person is excited to pay homage to something they enjoy.

yeah, I think Balor is pretty lame when he does it as well. HHH was extremely lame.

i basically don't like it whenever they do it. you see it on local indie show posters, like some character dressed up as a superhero or a more famous wrestler, and it makes it come off as cheap and not a legitimate thing. like a bad cover band or something. cringey.

like i said, i'm probably just being a grump, wrestling is inherently a stupid thing, but it can aspire for more creative ideas than being a cheap knock-off of something else their audience likes.

yeah, I think Balor is pretty lame when he does it as well. HHH was extremely lame.

i basically don't like it whenever they do it. you see it on local indie show posters, like some character dressed up as a superhero or a more famous wrestler, and it makes it come off as cheap and not a legitimate thing. like a bad cover band or something. cringey.

like i said, i'm probably just being a grump, wrestling is inherently a stupid thing, but it can aspire for more creative ideas than being a cheap knock-off of something else their audience likes.

I think your "cover band" comparison is a very poor one. Cover bands are making money off of guys in their own medium. It's not like these guys are imitating other wrestlers. It's using their medium to pay tribute to something they like from a different medium. Like we are never going to see Harley Quinn in a wrestling ring just like we will never see Alexa Bliss in a Batman comic, so Alexa dressing like Quinn is an homage to something we'd never see otherwise.

gun_haver

I think your "cover band" comparison is a very poor one. Cover bands are making money off of guys in their own medium. It's not like these guys are imitating other wrestlers. It's using their medium to pay tribute to something they like from a different medium. Like we are never going to see Harley Quinn in a wrestling ring just like we will never see Alexa Bliss in a Batman comic, so Alexa dressing like Quinn is an homage to something we'd never see otherwise.

i should make a note to refrain from making analogies in general, because my thoughts never start there and people tend to focus on them when they are considering what i'm saying.

i should make a note to refrain from making analogies in general, because my thoughts never start there and people tend to focus on them when they are considering what i'm saying.

Even throwing out the comparison and taking just your point, I still think you are overthinking it. Homage is a thing in every form of media. Wrestling is no different.

Steph's character has made me almost hate her as a person. Any time she does Facebook Live stuff she seem really nice. It is not that she is a successful heel, I just hate and despise anything she is inserted in to the point I do not care what happens until she goes away.

If anyone needs a break on the roster it is her.

Steph's character has made me almost hate her as a person. Any time she does Facebook Live stuff she seem really nice. It is not that she is a successful heel, I just hate and despise anything she is inserted in to the point I do not care what happens until she goes away.

If anyone needs a break on the roster it is her.

It's almost like any and all McMahon family shit should stay offscreen forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom