• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 33 Week |OT| The Ride Never Ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when Jericho debuted huge and then was stinking things up for weeks before he got use to how the WWF did things?

Jericho is pretty much the reason why so many go through developmental in the post-WCW era.

Revival is getting called up. Their story is over.

They went from the most hated heels, to at the end being killed by the new most hated heels as the crowd cheered them on. It's a perfect end.

jurgen

Yep
Balor and Seth on Raw, Roman and Dean on SD

Actually I also think that Nakamura will end up on Smackdown, but I'm not 100% sure

I see Nakamura going wherever AJ ends up. WWE creative seems afraid of anyone with English as a second language. I imagine he'll be put in a program with AJ in a "look at this Japanese guy's skill!" vs "The best performer in a generation."

It just seems safe enough to happen.

Stone Cold was Ted DiBiase's lackey at the start of his WWF run before they figured out the Austin character and Bret was doing tag team work for years before doing main event work. If WWE want to put guys in NXT while they find an actual place to fit them on TV i don't see the issue? It's a different time now and they are risk averse when it comes to TV, for better and worse.

Bret Hart was doing tag team work because Hogan/Savage/Andre/Warrior/etc were on top and the only reason he became a main eventer was because of the steroid trial and all of them leaving/dying (in Andre's case). He was never going to be a main eventer while they were on top, no amount of NXT would have fixed it.

...I need a drink...

Christ. That may well have been my favourite Takeover, from top-to-bottom. Not a bad match among them (worst was Black-Almas and even that was actually good). Dillinger and Friends-Sanity was great (loved that Roderick Strong boot to one of Sanity towards the end and I'd die for a Ruby Riot-Nikki Cross feud after tonight) and Roode-Nakamura was brilliant once its pace picked up.

But there's at least two 4 star matches tonight: Asuka-Ember Moon and the triple threat.

Asuka-Ember Moon was a fantastic showcase of psychology and mind games and I loved it. It added to what was even then a great match.

But that triple threat. Christ ohfucking mighty. That may have leaped into my top three NXT matches of all time with Nakamura-Sami Zayn from Takeover Dallas last year and Bayley-Sasha at Takeover Brooklyn 2015. Everything about that was near perfect. Think it wounded it when it took out DIY first rather than The Revival. But even then, props to AoP. They played their part in the match and have an amazing future ahead.

Again, that match. I popped so loud so many times. Actually screamed out loud 'SHATTER MACHINE!!!' the way Graves used to as well XD

Match of the night? Nah nah. Match of the fucking year for me so far ahead of Cena-Styles and Okada-Omega.

I see Nakamura going wherever AJ ends up. WWE creative seems afraid of anyone with English as a second language. I imagine he'll be put in a program with AJ in a "look at this Japanese guy's skill!" vs "The best performer in a generation."

It just seems safe enough to happen.

Nakamura's English is great though.

I mean damn, he did an entire 1-hour Jericho podcast in English.

Wagram

Stormblood being teased for Wrestlemania tomorrow.

Glad that companies are starting to understand the huge crossover between Wrestling and Gaming.

Stone Cold was Ted DiBiase's lackey at the start of his WWF run before they figured out the Austin character and Bret was doing tag team work for years before doing main event work. If WWE want to put guys in NXT while they find an actual place to fit them on TV i don't see the issue? It's a different time now and they are risk averse when it comes to TV, for better and worse.

I think a huge issue with how NXT works is that build up and moments where wrestler become great characters are just as important as the character itself. If that happens on NXT then the majority of the viewing audience will miss it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
tumblr_onrb25tLNB1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

Bret Hart was doing tag team work because Hogan/Savage/Andre/Warrior/etc were on top and the only reason he became a main eventer was because of the steroid trial and all of them leaving/dying (in Andre's case). He was never going to be a main eventer while they were on top, no amount of NXT would have fixed it.

Isn't that exactly the point? Adam Cole could be NXT champ instead of floundering on Raw where Brock and Goldberg get belts.

I mean im thinking how wwe think. I'd have all my favourites on TV obviously but they would end up wrestling on main event.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Dude is going to be a huge star. Huge. Great entrance, great look, and great ring work.

Almost every aspect of his in-ring presence screamed out that he was a badass. It was impressive.

The only problem I had was he was really REALLY late on 2 of his kickouts. They seemed like 3+ counts but he got away with them.

Bret was also built up with the IC title where he was getting bigger pops and reactions than Hogan and won King of the Ring before he beat Flair on a Saskatoon house show.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is LAW thinks that was just "ok" than what the fuck will Wrestlemania be?

Heroman

Banned
Isn't that exactly the point? Adam Cole could be NXT champ instead of floundering on Raw where Brock and Goldberg get belts.

I mean im thinking how wwe think. I'd have all my favourites on TV obviously but they would end up wrestling on main event.
He going flounder with or without NXT if Vince doesn't believe in him.

Depends on how you look at it. In Bret Hart's case IMO at the time the tag team division was the best that it had ever been and he was a large part of it. He had a fantastic run as a tag team wrestler. That seems more valuable to me than a hypothetical world title run on the developmental show. Not to mention he probably made loads more money because he was doing it in the golden era and wrestling in front of huge crows and bringing in huge gates.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
On a whim, I decided to pick up a 3 month WWE Network card for Takeover and Wrestlemania. I loosely keep up with NXT and such so I generally knew what was going on and who is there.

Holy shit, that was a show. Storytelling really was the star of the entire show. Every match featured a good bit of it with the 3 way Tag, Women's Title and NXT Title really giving a lesson in old school, in ring storytelling.

It's great to see Nakamura where he is at now. I've watched him since his debut in NJPW, through his weird MMA fight era, and so forth. Seeing him in WWE is so weird but pretty damn awesome. I hope the main roster doesn't screw it up with him. Bobby Roode is no joke either. This guy will be main event heel in no time on the main shows. He is great!

Finally, Asuka is love. Like...yeah. It's that simple. It's like I'm watching a mix of Toyota, Aja Kong (URAKEN), with some fierce Akira Hokuto. Just...love.

I think the time for Hideo to get the belt has long sailed.

I wish he never got majorly injured and they revealed Finn attacked him for a heel turn and had Hideo beat Owens for the belt.

Hideo was never going to beat Owens for the belt.

Shortly after Finn won it, Meltzer said that FInn winning in Japan was always the plan, even if Hideo didn't get hurt. Triple H fucking loves Finn Balor.

In other news,
Young Bucks are once again ROH tag champs

Spoiler tag that shit man. I haven't had a chance to watch Supercard yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sanity entrance worth going back to watch? I missed it live.

Hideo was never going to beat Owens for the belt.

Shortly after Finn won it, Meltzer said that FInn winning in Japan was always the plan, even if Hideo didn't get hurt. Triple H fucking loves Finn Balor.
I want to dream at least.

I still think they would have some big plans for Hideo if he never got injured.

He going flounder with or without NXT if Vince doesn't believe in him.

Yes, but NXT gives him a chance to get over and be ready to prove to VInce that he can get over.

I don't remember who, but one of the former NXT guys said that one of the main goals of Triple H in NXT is to prepare these guys for all the quirks they need to have and/or avoid to get over with Vince.

Wait, did Alexa say she was going to do this?

She said she has a new cosplay. Whatever it is, we don't know.

Toki767

Pretty sure HBK works with only a handful (probably less than 5) of people in NXT.

Basically only the people who are about to be called up.

Depends on how you look at it. In Bret Hart's case IMO at the time the tag team division was the best that it had ever been and he was a large part of it. He had a fantastic run as a tag team wrestler. That seems more valuable to me than a hypothetical world title run on the developmental show. Not to mention he probably made loads more money because he was doing it in the golden era and wrestling in front of huge crows and bringing in huge gates.

It's different days though isn't it. Belts mean nothing now and Manias sell out before the card is even close to being final. The brand is bigger than the wrestlers. And yeah we are talking hypotheticals, it's a fun debate though. I should go to bed it's 4am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom