• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

Guess Who

Banned
aeF5mbC.png

must be a mistake right?

Nah? The last Core Ms were turboing to 2.7 and stuff already, and the tiers are too consistent to be a mistake.

Or is there something else about it?

Intel no longer calls what used to be the "m5" and "m7" "Core M" anymore. They're just i5 and i7 now.

10.5" iPad Pro is 2224x1668 pixels. Same 264ppi as the larger iPad. Won't that cause issues with some apps?

I was wondering that too. I just expected them to (and would've preferred them to) shrink the 12.9" res to 10.5". Seems weird that they made a new resolution for it.

Fhtagn

Pretty sure I'm in for the new iPad 10.5" so I can retire my Air.

As a very long time (as in since the 80s) Apple fan, this was the best WWDC in years. Made me feel like the Mac matters again and made me feel like iOS 11 will justify the Pro in iPad Pro.

The watch features and Home Pod seem cool too.

conpfreak

Other than an upgrade to a Retina screen and USB 3.0, I still haven't found a compelling reason to move on from my 2011 Macbook Pro.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
10.5" is almost twice the price of the 'new' old 9.7" iPad. Seems a very big price gap. You know the keyboard and pencil cost fuck all to make, so you'd think they'd try and do some kidn of bundle offers.

Terrell

My only hope is that with High Sierra being so iterative this year and Apple showing the Files app off, we're finally seeing the beginning of the end for Finder.

Tiny for a speaker meant to redefine the way I listen to music, yes. Don't know the google thing. I would never put something like that from google or Amazon into my living room

It looks like the size of a Sonos Play 1 if not even bigger than that. It feels like you're setting a very specific criteria of what qualifies to compare and we haven't even heard the audio quality yet compared to say a Sonos or other comparable speaker in size. I guarantee this won't sound as good as a proper speaker if you really do care about audio quality that much.

I just bought a Macbook Pro 13 inch without touch bar, like Saturday. Can someone please tell me that I didn't get screwed over or just tell me how it compares?

Kevin

I'm considering the new Pro. Which size do you guys prefer and why? I have a current 9.7 inch but have been considering the 12.9 inch. I mostly use my ipad when I'm relaxing, laying in bed at night or in the morning.

What I don't understand is that a lot of people who care about sound quality will have something in their home with good speakers already that you could hook a voice assistant up to.

I've heard some of the best "small single form factor" audio devices and they still fall flat compared to 2 separate decent speakers, let alone a full sound stage of multiple good speakers in a room.

I don't think most people actually want large speakers, especially if they're living in an small apartment. But they'd like to have something better than their Macbook speakers, and if it has Siri voice assistance with actual privacy-first all the better.

I see the potential of this being a word of mouth hit, where people go over to a friend's house and love the sound. Assuming the sound is great, that is.

I'm considering the new Pro. Which size do you guys prefer and why? I have a current 9.7 inch but have been considering the 12.9 inch. I mostly use my ipad when I'm relaxing, laying in bed at night or in the morning.

9.7" is easier to hold and carry, besides being more portable and $150 cheaper.

-GJ-

I just bought a Macbook Pro 13 inch without touch bar, like Saturday. Can someone please tell me that I didn't get screwed over or just tell me how it compares?
The unwritten rule is to never buy an Apple product if they have an event coming up. If you're dropping more than a thousand bucks on something you should know that.

Maybe you can return it?

MacBook and iMac updates across the board.

APFS filesystem default on Mac. 10x metal performance improvements. External eGPU support, an actual apple eGPU enclosure coming later in the year (wtf, didn't expect that), a lot of noise about VR and AR and the importance of GPU's. I guess Blizzard not porting Overwatch has made them up their game!

AR demo on the iPad was pretty nuts, and iPad centric iOS improvements are nice.

HomePod looks fine and is priced as you would expect as a Sonos rival.

grmlin

It looks like the size of a Sonos Play 1 if not even bigger than that. It feels like you're setting a very specific criteria of what qualifies to compare and we haven't even heard the audio quality yet compared to say a Sonos or other comparable speaker in size. I guarantee this won't sound as good as a proper speaker if you really do care about audio quality that much.
We have 4 Sonos 1 in the office and I think they are bigger. Well, wait and here I guess. ;-)

You're right there.

I can use a sonos with pretty much anything though, this will be hard to accept if this thing is closed and only usable with Apple Music.

jts

...hate me...
The thing with the cool speaker homekit commands is that you can do the exact same thing with your iPhone (since 6s) which picks up your voice quite well too. Not to mention your Apple Watch. And they're with you the whole time.

It's a homekit hub, but so is a much cheaper Apple TV.

So what needs to sell this device is its sound quality. And it better sound better than a Sonos Play:1 that I almost bought last Christmas for half the price of this. But it is ultimately something for lite audiophiles.

It's not the AirPods situation where the device was fairly unique.

Besides, the Siri improvements didn't seem to be that many. Until we can say "Hey Siri, play x on the Apple TV" I don't know what they are doing with it.

nampad

I wanted to buy a new Macbook but the update does nothing more me.
Heck, I would have been fine with an HD Facetime camera and not the joke they have put in it. But in he end, they really only updated the processor and it costs the same aas the new Macbook Pro without the Touch Bar? Hell No.

Amazon also took all the wind out of the new speakers sails with releasing one with a display right before Apple.

Luschient

Maybe I missed it but I'm surprised they didn't just add a voice assistant to the Beats Pill+ and rebrand it "home pod" or whatever it is.

Great keynote all around. iOS11 looks great with the new iPad features. Definitely getting Homepods next year and thinking about the new iPad Pro. The case with the Pencil holder is cool but way to overpriced at 149 Euro.

Top Bottom