• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

grmlin

I wanted to buy a new Macbook but the update does nothing more me.
Heck, I would have been fine with an HD Facetime camera and not the joke they have put in it. But in he end, they really only updated the processor and it costs the same aas the new Macbook Pro without the Touch Bar? Hell No.

Amazon also took all the wind out of the new speakers sails with releasing one with a display right before Apple.
I really really hoped for something like:

Oh, you want the full power without the stupid and gimmicky touchbar? Here you go!

spons

Gold Member
I just bought a Macbook Pro 13 inch without touch bar, like Saturday. Can someone please tell me that I didn't get screwed over or just tell me how it compares?

In terms of processing power, you're lacking native 10-bit HEVC hardware decoding (the 4k/UHD Blu-ray standard) and there's a minor performance difference.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
34734951880_dcb9b4d102_b.jpg

Welp, went ahead and did it.

I had a 2013 Top-End 15" rMBP that I sold in preparation for the revision last October. Late Skylake and a GPU that was just a haaair too slow for 1080p Overwatch when I'm traveling kept me from splurging - so I've been using a 2016 12" rMB since. Meh. Thing is awesomely light and has great battery - but it can't even kind of work as a pro tool for photo/video. Really, really excited to get back to a 15". Native HEVC hardware decoding and the GPU bump (plus native eGPU support) are really great. Wish we could have gotten 32GB, though.

They probably want to keep that as an iPhone exclusive feature.

Just as Apple Pencil is iPad exclusive.

Nah, it's either a weight or cost issue. Eventually it'll make it over, but very surprising it's not in the 2nd gen since the iOS UI is starting to use 3D Touch heavily.

Just saw the footnote on the High Sierra page on apple.com about the native support for external graphics cards:

3. Planned for spring 2018.

Fuck you Apple. It doesn't take that long. You can use a hack already to activate egfx Thunderbolt 3 enclosures.

The pricing of the 12" Macbook and 13" Macbook Pro is the dumbest fucking thing. Why are they priced the same? Why does the 12" consumer Macbook have double the storage of the 13" professional Macbook? Why is just 128GB of storage still a thing?

So frustrating.

LeleSocho

Banned
Pretty sure I'm in for the new iPad 10.5" so I can retire my Air.

As a very long time (as in since the 80s) Apple fan, this was the best WWDC in years. Made me feel like the Mac matters again and made me feel like iOS 11 will justify the Pro in iPad Pro.

The watch features and Home Pod seem cool too.

I feel like 2013 WWDC was much better and more meaningful sincerely.

You didn't know WWDC was today?

Definitely should have waited a couple more days for these announcements.

The unwritten rule is to never buy an Apple product if they have an event coming up. If you're dropping more than a thousand bucks on something you should know that.

Maybe you can return it?

Still within the return period, no? Unless you bought used. 15 calendar days.

I did not know a keynote was coming up. I just realised yesterday when I saw this thread.
Luckily, after googling a little, I found out that I can get my money back. damn, I am lucky.

I really really hoped for something like:

Oh, you want the full power without the stupid and gimmicky touchbar? Here you go!

this was me, too.

never owned a Mac before, but I'm in the market for a new computer and have been enjoying iPhone since finally embracing smartphones a couple years back. Was under the impression that they were taking Mac seriously again this year, but I'm not really excited by anything in the current lineup
aside from the stuff that I can't afford and have no need for

jts

...hate me...
No 3D Touch for the iPad Pro is a huge oversight.
This is also a small disappointment for me, besides the no A11 thing.

In 3 months the chip in these iPad Pro that are posing as small computers and do a ton of shit, multitask, edit photos, video, music, etc, is going to be outdated to the latest iPhone that you use to play Super Mario Run.

And last time it took 18 months to update the iPad Pro (12.9"). By then the iPhone would already be on A12. FFS.

Alright, deep breaths now.

kennah

So torn. The iPad Pro 2 is literally twice as much as the "new" iPad. I need one for work but not sure I can justify the cost.

DarkWish

Have an iPad Air 2 and it works just fine. But I couldn't resist all the enhancements and I've been thinking about going for the 12.9 inch Pro for a while. So I decided to order the new 12.9 inch iPad Pro! Will be useful for school. My dad is using my old 3rd gen iPad and it's pretty slow so I'll probably give him my iPad Air 2.

Majine

Banned
I've been doing the beta summers for several years now.

It's a period of great frustration as it's all kinda borked, but I still can't resist.

Thezez

Banned
Given my past experiences with watchOS betas I'm going to hold off for the public release, but iOS 11 and High Sierra here I come.

kiguel182

128 gb is a shame. I thought that was a price drop but nope.

I'm wondering how manageable it is for my use (no photo or video editing) since I have everything in the cloud anyway. Still need space to install Dota 2!

Edit: probably still not worth it. I'll see when I have money I guess.

giga

128 gb is a shame. I thought that was a price drop but nope.

I'm wondering how manageable it is for my use (no photo or video editing) since I have everything in the cloud anyway. Still need space to install Dota 2!

Edit: probably still not worth it. I'll see when I have money I guess.
Yeah that's shitty. The 256 should have been 1300.

Aleh

The signal bars design change is obviously meant for the iPhone 8.
Also love the iOS update for the iPad, they really stepped up their game, now what will people complain about?
A bit more disappointing for the iPhone, but I guess they're saving the bigger changes for the 8.

Mr. RPG

Also: the new 12" MacBook has the second-gen butterfly keys, a 16GB RAM option, and most importantly, has "MacBook" written in San Francisco under the screen like the Pros do.

Source, please?

I'm not really sure who the 12-inch MacBook is for when the 13-inch Pro is the same price.

Guess Who

Banned
Source, please?

I'm not really sure who the 12-inch MacBook is for when the 13-inch Pro is the same price.

Source is the store page for it.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook

34734951880_dcb9b4d102_b.jpg

Welp, went ahead and did it.

I had a 2013 Top-End 15" rMBP that I sold in preparation for the revision last October. Late Skylake and a GPU that was just a haaair too slow for 1080p Overwatch when I'm traveling kept me from splurging - so I've been using a 2016 12" rMB since. Meh. Thing is awesomely light and has great battery - but it can't even kind of work as a pro tool for photo/video. Really, really excited to get back to a 15". Native HEVC hardware decoding and the GPU bump (plus native eGPU support) are really great. Wish we could have gotten 32GB, though.

I've played Overwatch at 1920x1200 at high on the Radeon Pro 460 and it's a solid 60fps.

spons

Gold Member
Also: you need a Skylake or newer Mac (so, 2015 27" iMac, 2017 21.5" iMac, 2016 MacBook or MacBook Pro) or later for 4K HEVC playback.

With a big fat asterisk: Skylake supports only the Main profile through hardware decoding, not Main 10, which Kaby Lake does support. Main 10 is needed for UHD Blu-rays, proper home rips and any future proofing at all.

Wait, i5 and i7? Did the MacBook always have this option?
Renamed m5/m7.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just checking back through my receipts
- November 2013 : 32GB iPad £479
- October 2014 : 64GB iPad £479
- March 2016 : 32GB iPad Pro £499

- June 2017 : 64GB iPad Pro £619

Ouch.

Top Bottom