• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

TimFL

And the regional pricing is in... the new iPad is $649 = 729€, not surprised.
Maybe I'll bite when I see it in person at a retailer.

btrboyev

yeah, people bitching about the $350 just want to bitch.. sonos is $200-500 for a single speaker. $250 for a good (i.e. not Dot) Alexa or Google implementation. You're getting both in one for $350.

With that being said, audio quality better be at least where the state it will be. This will live or die on it.

Echo's and google home can output to any Bluetooth speaker, thus making the built in soeaker argument moot. You can get a dot for $50 and it can output to the best speakers you can get. And it works with more than just Apple Music.

Guess Who

Banned
With a big fat asterisk: Skylake supports only the Main profile through hardware decoding, not Main 10, which Kaby Lake does support. Main 10 is needed for UHD Blu-rays, proper home rips and any future proofing at all.

Skylake supports partial/hybrid Main 10 decoding, which means those videos will almost certainly play just fine, they just might use a bit more CPU and battery to do it.

Kayhan

Why does Google refuse to acknowledge that the Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory is a GPU that exists?

I can't find any info or benchmark for this GPU in the new Macbook Pro......

Vashetti

Banned
Yup iOS is definitely 64-bit only now.

32-bit apps on my partner's iPad refuse to open, they just state "'app' needs to be updated"

Guess Who

Banned
Why does Google refuse to acknowledge that the Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory is a GPU that exists?

I can't find any info or benchmark for this GPU in the new Macbook Pro......

Because it, as well as all the other Radeon Pro GPUs Apple has been using, doesn't exist outside of the Mac line.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
34734951880_dcb9b4d102_b.jpg

Welp, went ahead and did it.

I had a 2013 Top-End 15" rMBP that I sold in preparation for the revision last October. Late Skylake and a GPU that was just a haaair too slow for 1080p Overwatch when I'm traveling kept me from splurging - so I've been using a 2016 12" rMB since. Meh. Thing is awesomely light and has great battery - but it can't even kind of work as a pro tool for photo/video. Really, really excited to get back to a 15". Native HEVC hardware decoding and the GPU bump (plus native eGPU support) are really great. Wish we could have gotten 32GB, though.
Do you know what's the performance of the new Radeon Pro 560, that's replacing Pro 460 in the top end MBP model?

Yup iOS is definitely 64-bit only now.

32-bit apps on my partner's iPad refuse to open, they just state "'app' needs to be updated"
Ooook... That's going to make like half the games I have on my phone stop working. I thought that they might have pushed this further down the line as there was no word about it in the conference.

cilonen

Apologies if it's been asked and answered, but does anyone know what photo editing app they were using during the iPad Pro 2 demo?

It didn't look like Photos or Photoshop but I've not tried mobile Photoshop for a while.

Guess Who

Banned
Do you know what's the performance difference of the new Radeon Pro 560, that's replacing Pro 460 in the top end MBP model?

The Radeon 5xx line is still the same Polaris used in the 4xx line with some minor process enhancements, so expect a 10-15% bump (if the improvements in the desktop 5xx line are any indication).

Gandie

So not even a real price drop on the 13" nonTB MacBook. 128 GB on a "Pro" product. Just kill the air already and give us the 12" for 999 or 1099.

Red

I don't know about the aesthetics but I am glad control centre just became a whole lot more useful and customisable.
I don't like that each icon is its own floating block. Why not have a single unified block with different icons within it, or section them off by type (toggle, scrubber, button, etc)?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Do you know what's the performance difference of the new Radeon Pro 560, that's replacing Pro 460 in the top end MBP model?

Not at all - just going off of past refreshes where Apple has pulled a similar "one-off rebadge," I'd guess the 560 will be aaabbbbooout 10-15% faster than the 460. Normally that's nothing to care too much about. However, Overwatch at 1200p/high can maintain 60fps about 95% of the time on the 460; but occasionally drops to about 50fps. This bump should be enough to keep it at 60.

Silly, I know. It's not a gaming laptop. But considering it's the only game I'd care to play on the road for the next year anyway (outside my Switch), it's important to me.

jts

...hate me...
Control center is making me extremely anxious to install iOS 11.

But I need to wait out on performance/battery and app compatibility stories. Truly need my phone fully functional, so I can't take the risk.

Humidex

Just checking back through my receipts
- November 2013 : 32GB iPad £479
- October 2014 : 64GB iPad £479
- March 2016 : 32GB iPad Pro £499

- June 2017 : 64GB iPad Pro £619

Ouch.

Might as well fit in a trip to Hong Kong for that (it's 495 over there for the same version)...

Would be nice if that meant that there's an Oyster/Octopus/Presto travelcard in Wallet.

VeeP

Yea control center is ugly, but as long as it becomes more useful and customizable I don't think people will mind.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
No standalone displays? We have been graving for new ones at work.

You're stuck with the LG 4K and 5K until next year when they release a new Mac Pro and their own, branded displays. That's confirmed by Apple.

FWIW, the LG 5K is a really spectacular monitor.

EDIT:

If the LG Ultrafines aren't to your taste, Apple said they are working on their own standalone display to launch with the next Mac Pro, which is not coming this year.

lol, I think you've beaten me to the punch like four times in this thread :)

Red

Yea control center is ugly, but as long as it becomes more useful and customizable I don't think people will mind.
It definitely looks more useful. Voice memo access from the lock screen means I will probably actually use them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
OMG, so wait, you can add more buttons to Control Center and remove ones you don't need? Holy shit. I need the Public Beta so bad. Day 1!

And I'm so looking forward to APFS. But will it allow convert in place for non-boot disks? Like say large drives I have externally?

Juice

Just gleefully ordered two of the 10.5" iPad Pro's with $10/mo unlimited LTE from T-Mobile.

Couldn't be happier. Only things I wanted that weren't there were 3D Touch and a new pencil, but the dock+files & "multi-hand" gestures they showed off were what really mattered. Installing onto my OG iPad Pro now.

EmiPrime

I don't like that each icon is its own floating block. Why not have a single unified block with different icons within it, or section them off by type (toggle, scrubber, button, etc)?

I hope they can iterate on that during the beta period. The hard part is done after all.

Otherwise there's always next year!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Just looked up prices - don't feel so bad about my 2016 MBP being "outdated" anymore.

I paid $1698 w/ no tax from Adorama last year for a 512GB 13-Inch Macbook Pro, and that included Applecare.

That 512GB 13-inch model with the new processor is $1699 flat, and that's prior to tax and Applecare.

Top Bottom