• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

Dartastic

I didn't watch the presentation, but reading through the news...

Apple's lost the plot. They're no longer innovating, and their products continue to be obscenely expensive. $5k for the Mac Pro? GTFO; just make a Windows PC and throw a 1080TI in there. It'll save you $3k (ish).

$350 for a bluetooth speaker that doesn't do anything different than what Amazon's current equipment already does? Why? You can go to the stores and get one of Amazon's offerings TODAY. This doesn't come out until December, I believe.

They're reacting. They're not innovating. I can't think of a more damning thing to say about Apple.

jstripes

Banned
I'm not happy about the price of the HomePod, but let's be honest here: The Amazon Echo and Google Home are going to sound like a $10 Bluetooth speaker compared to it.

Also, the others inexpensively-priced trojan horses. Google Home collects data on you for their advertising business, and Amazon Echo is a voice activated storefront.

Guess Who

Banned
Also: the new 12" MacBook has the second-gen butterfly keys, a 16GB RAM option, and most importantly, has "MacBook" written in San Francisco under the screen like the Pros do.

Oh, the $1299 price is for the 128GB model and not the 256GB model? I thought it got a price drop.

There wasn't a 128GB model before. They added it to hit $1299, I guess.

ayeorkean

tbBGndw.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yeah, people bitching about the $350 just want to bitch.. sonos is $200-500 for a single speaker. $250 for a good (i.e. not Dot) Alexa or Google implementation. You're getting both in one for $350.

With that being said, audio quality better be at least where the state it will be. This will live or die on it.

kennah

Oof, the iPad Pro is $870 Canadian. After case and Pencil and taxes I'm looking probably around $1300.

Edit, LOL. $1500

giga

Apple's lost the plot. They're no longer innovating, and their products continue to be obscenely expensive. $5k for the Mac Pro? GTFO; just make a Windows PC and throw a 1080TI in there. It'll save you $3k (ish).

$350 for a bluetooth speaker that doesn't do anything different than what Amazon's current equipment already does? Why? You can go to the stores and get one of Amazon's offerings TODAY. This doesn't come out until December, I believe.

They're reacting. They're not innovating. I can't think of a more damning thing to say about Apple.
Xeon. Audio quality.

chadskin

Is this bait? I feel like this is bait.

Just updated. The $1299 model is:

2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
128GB SSD storage
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports

Also, for those wondering, the 15" now has a Radeon Pro 555 at $2,399.00 and 560 at $2799. Probably only 10-15% bumps over the 455 and 460, but bumps nonetheless.

Ha, 128GB? The nTB model previously didn't even have 128GB as an option, it started at 256GB

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
iPad iOS11 looks fantastic. Also happy they are finally making a case with a pencil holder built in. Maybe I'll actually take it with me now.

Yawn. I'm about to pull up a 2012 article that says this exact same thing so you know how dumb it sounds

grmlin

These are tiny, holy fucks. If Apple didn't find away to get away from normal physics they will be just tiny speakers, good for bedrooms, kitchens etc.

Can't wait to see if they will be Apple only or open in some way. I can't see myself buying something that's meant to stay in my home and is bound to a singleservice.

riotous

Banned
Apple sound quality is going to be far better than the Amazon and Google products, assuming this is in the tradition of the ill-fated Apple Hi-Fi. I think Steve would be really happy with this product. I can't wait to hear it.

What I don't understand is that a lot of people who care about sound quality will have something in their home with good speakers already that you could hook a voice assistant up to.

I've heard some of the best "small single form factor" audio devices and they still fall flat compared to 2 separate decent speakers, let alone a full sound stage of multiple good speakers in a room.

Obviously a nice sounding speaker is a great option, but I feel like the voice assistant devices really need multiple options to make sense as a product.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Best presentation I've seen in ages. Apple knocking it out the park again.

All in all very enjoyable experience.

Terrell

This is the most iterative year for their software I can think of. macOS was a disaster, iOS didn't have as much to show for itself as it should have, tvOS had nothing but Amazon Video (not even an announcement that the TV app is coming to any other country than the US? REALLY?!) and I nearly fell asleep listening to them discuss watchOS. All that said, there are some points in there that I'm sure developers are ecstatic about, and rightfully so, but from a consumer standpoint, there was very little to be excited about unless you wanted a bigger iPad Pro.

grmlin

What I don't understand is that a lot of people who care about sound quality will have something in their home with good speakers already that you could hook a voice assistant up to.

I've heard some of the best "small single form factor" audio devices and they still fall flat compared to 2 separate decent speakers, let alone a full sound stage of multiple speakers in a room.

I use some fairly priced speakers with my Marantz receiver and I have no idea why I would want to replace them. I will need them anyway for home cinema.

These are tiny, holy fucks. If Apple didn't find away to get away from normal physics they will be just tiny speakers, good for bedrooms, kitchens etc.

Can't wait to see if they will be Apple only or open in some way. I can't see myself buying something that's meant to stay in my home and is bound to a singleservice.

Tiny? It looks huge compared to a Google Home.

Nightfall

The developer beta drops today. I'd wait until that's been picked apart before you discount stuff from being in there. There's usually all sorts of stuff that they never get around to talking about on stage that's included.

True, but wouldn't you think that's more important to show than a slightly redesigned sticker panel?

When Craig showed control panel he even had notifications open for a moment. Would've been perfect to at least mention something there.

giga

This is the most iterative year for their software I can think of. macOS was a disaster, iOS didn't have as much to show for itself as it should have, tvOS had nothing but Amazon Video (not even an announcement that the TV app is coming to any other country than the US? REALLY?!) and I nearly fell asleep listening to them discuss watchOS. All that said, there are some points in there that I'm sure developers are ecstatic about, and rightfully so, but from a consumer standpoint, there was very little to be excited about unless you wanted a bigger iPad Pro.

2e11406.gif

X-Frame

How big of a deal is KabyLake in the new 15" MBP with respect to the 10-bit HEVC support over the SkyLake MBP?

Is it performance bump? Battery life savings? Both?

Dartastic

Xeon. Audio quality.
You can install a Xeon processor in a Windows PC. Also, FIVE. THOUSAND. DOLLARS. Audio quality is a solved problem and there are a numerous, quality alternatives out there that work well together. I also think that people who were genuinely interested in a device like this a)already have something like it or b) are utilizing what they have with their existing sound system. This is Apple seemingly realizing that they don't offer a product that competitors have had a head start on.
Is this bait? I feel like this is bait.
Genuinely not trying to bait. I was all in on the Mac ecosystem a few years ago, and I've found myself transitioning out because they're no longer offering products that I want.

On first glance I just don't see what makes anything they're doing special or innovative at all anymore. Some of the existing revisions to the Apple Watch and iOS seem fine, but like, whatever. I'm genuinely even considering having my next phone be an Android device. I've had an iPhone ever since the 3G came out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
£160 for the bloody keyboard cover for the iPad Pro 10.5". Fucking hell. Luckily it's probably a horrible netbook size and not useful for typing..

And no product (red) Smart Cover?

Sch1sm

A 5000 dollar iMac, an overpriced speaker, and new App Store, same old laptop bezels.

Yeah. I'm due for a laptop upgrade. I'm on the rMBP mid-2014 just now. Was hoping there would be something significant in the next line, and that they'd get rid . Gonna probably go XPS 15 with a 1050, considering the rising Canadian prices in general, lol.

JayDub

Never said "wow" at an iOS presentation until the iPad presentation. What an amazing update, MacOS DNA finally going to iPad. The file interface was a pie-in-the-sky wish I've had for years. My only question is implementation. Can I create folders for local files? I don't use any cloud storage. I saw a "On my iPad" on the sidebar, so hopefully yes. If its local, it means I can finally save my documents locally, instead of being forced to choose to upload to the cloud!

The keyboard implementation was phenomenal. I thought it was hold to trigger the sub-characters. When I saw that you literally slide down on a key, I was even happier. One of the pains of typing on the iPad made better.

Drag and drop was awesome. I love the new persistent dock and how it mimics the MacOS dock (in showing you open "windows" when holding an icon).

It seems that multitasking is now "side by side" apps as well as "floating snapped windows"? Thats freaking cool,

Tapping the Pencil on the screen to go to Notes immediately is great. No longer have to fiddle with it. But how does it work with authentication? Does it mean that my locked iPad can be unlocked with a Pencil, and someone can access all my notes? Im guessing it will function like the Camera shortcut on the lock screen, Document scanning and the real time border it shows on the screen is cool...and natively built in.

Don't know how I feel about replacing notification center with home screen. And then sliding up to see the rest of your notifications. Seems redundant.

Also, meh on Control Center. I mean, seems like one of those things you need to use to get.

I have this feeling that the iPad might finally be a great PC replacement. It's always been a viable option, but now it seems like it may not be an inconvenience.

Guess Who

Banned
i want that 10.5" ipad pro but then i remember that i never fuckin' use my ipad mini 4 and have a ridiculously good macbook pro

giga

You can install a Xeon processor in a Windows PC. Also, FIVE. THOUSAND. DOLLARS. Audio quality is a solved problem and there are a numerous, quality alternatives out there that work well together. I also think that people who were genuinely interested in a device like this a)already have something like it or b) are utilizing what they have with their existing sound system. This is Apple seemingly realizing that they don't offer a product that competitors have had a head start on.

Genuinely not trying to bait. I was all in on the Mac ecosystem a few years ago, and I've found myself transitioning out because they're no longer offering products that I want.

On first glance I just don't see what makes anything they're doing special or innovative at all anymore. Some of the existing revisions to the Apple Watch and iOS seem fine, but like, whatever. I'm genuinely even considering having my next phone be an Android device. I've had an iPhone ever since the 3G came out.
Equip a Xeon to a PC and a 5K monitor and tell me how much it costs.

Top Bottom