• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

Fhtagn

I'm surprised they didn't say a peep about extending Touch Bar usability. Maybe Touch Bar isn't getting the kind of love they were hoping and are trying to distance themselves from it.

Doubt it; too early to tell.

This keynote was so packed people were making jokes about it being a speedrun at first and it still went over two hours. They skipped a lot of stuff they normally do at keynotes to make room.

Apple's clearly been busy as hell this past year and the touch bar is only 9 months old or thereabouts, it's too soon to expect much there yet.

Now, Apple does have a track record of leaving some tech to wither on the vine so a year or two from now I might agree.

VeeP

They're pivoting the Mac towards workstation and pro use and turning their "consumer laptop" market toward the iPad. Basically every major feature announced for the Mac today was to benefit professional and developer use (HEVC for film editing, Metal 2 and external GPUs for motion graphics and game development, Photos improvements to interoperate better with Photoshop and other editors, APFS for safer and faster file operations, etc). Demand for a News app on the Mac is probably very low.

Huh, well I'll probably give them another year then. Plenty of good ultrabooks now a days especially with Microsoft releasing some great hardware. It's annoying seeing Macbooks/Macbook Pro's with barely any ports, and it's annoying year after year getting disappointed with macOS releases.

Just wait another few years until they transition Macs into iOS. ;D

Eh, if done well I wouldn't mind. Gonna be awhile before that happens though.

wachie

To the people saying iOS11 was a small update, well wait for 11.1 with the Jesus Edition iPhone in the fall. IMO Apple are holding back some key updates/features back up their sleeve.

To the people saying iOS11 was a small update, well wait for 11.1 with the Jesus Edition iPhone in the fall. IMO Apple are holding back some key updates/features back up their sleeve.

I think it was only a small update for iPhones. Whoever said it was small for iPads is higher than Sierra

Fhtagn

Seems like one of the biggest iOS updates ever to me.

Fhtagn

I can't wait. First time I've ever been excited to see an iPhone.

Has anyone pointed out in this thread the hints of that phone and a new avoidance of using the edges that the iPad ui hints at? The floating windowed view that doesn't quite touch the edge unless you force it into split view...

Could be nothing, could be a hint.

Jeffrey

Their things honestly sometimes are 'value' buys, but typically because the competition has also set extremely high prices for similar items. I'd use Apple Watch as an example - I'm fully aware that Apple must have large margins on the stainless steel watch - but if you look just how expensive are the watches from established luxury brands that are finished and crafted to that level of precision and that use those kinds of materials (super-finely polished steel, ceramics, sapphire glass), Apple comes across as positively inexpensive in comparison.

maybe for the watch and bands, its not particularly hard or expensive to make a premium laptop these days, or a tablet or phone. Everything comes out of the same chinese factories lol.

Just saying apple should stick with their premium products premium price motto.

You don't hear bmw salesman trying to pitch to you that their stuff is a value buy.

Fhtagn

Still no same-app split screen or multi-user login for the iPad but overall iOS 11 looks great.

Feel like both features will show up in iOS 12 or 13, and the former can be effectively done right now by devs for most apps that truly need it; obviously people want two safari windows are out of luck for now unless I missed something.

Edit: I missed something, ha

Jeffrey

maybe im a heretic, but for true 'pro use', feels like ios really does need to get some sort of mouse/trackpad support someday.

navigating text or copying pasting on word or excel or anything really is literally more effort with your hands waving around, which is the opposite of 'productivity'.

Definitely feels like apple is slowly moving towards the 'surface pro', which imo isn't perfect, but its fairly close for mobile productivity. Can effortlessly manage keyboard mouse and touchpad and pen in my workflow.

my ipad pro 13" was nice, but never found any use for it for productivity, and its a bit unwieldy for casual couch media consumption so i sold it. ipad pro 10.5 seems to fit my needs better, shame they price hiked it yet again, i could live with 32 gb for $600. oh well.

Feel like both features will show up in iOS 12 or 13, and the former can be effectively done right now by devs for most apps that truly need it; obviously people want two safari windows are out of luck for now unless I missed something.

was one of the ios 10 features for ipad lol. not sure if other apps support that?

Apple's preview page for macOS High Sierra shows shareable iCloud Drive links

"Easily share any file stored in iCloud Drive with a link. The people you invite can simply click the link and get to work — no creating copies, sending attachments, or managing versions."

Shearie

There's already Safari split screen for iPad. If Apple never wants 2 versions of the same app open at the same time which prevents same-app split screen, I wish there was a split-screen API that would make it easy for developers to implement it in their apps.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder if iPad Air 2 (used) is a worthwhile buy with ios11 changes
Unless you can find an iPad Air 2 for significantly less than 329 you can probably find a better deal on the 2017 iPad. It is for all intents and pourposes an iPad Air 2. But it will be supported longer.

Edit:
Also no guarantee Air 2 will support all iOS 11 features. no reason the 2017 iPad won't since it's the last non pro update to iPad before release of 11

Fhtagn

Apple's preview page for macOS High Sierra shows shareable iCloud Drive links

"Easily share any file stored in iCloud Drive with a link. The people you invite can simply click the link and get to work — no creating copies, sending attachments, or managing versions."

Oh shit, I've been waiting for this so I can drop Dropbox after the shenanigans they pulled with macOS. Cool.

hirokazu

There's already Safari split screen for iPad. If Apple never wants 2 versions of the same app open at the same time which prevents same-app split screen, I wish there was a split-screen API that would make it easy for developers to implement in their apps.
The thing is, Safari Split View is just a trick within the app that's completely separate and different from the system-wide Split View. There isn't two instances of the app running, just two views that are displaying tabs at the same time. I imagine other apps can implement their own version of the same thing, but the implementation would differ from app to app.

You could probably even float a third, proper slideover app on top of Safari's Split View.

Jeffrey

so do apps needed to be updated to ios 11 to support all those crazy stuff on ipad?

With ipad sales waning, im curious how many will bother supporting it, within launch month.

also shame iphone app switcher didn't get a refresh. It's starting to feel a bit old. It's always felt like a cheap knockoff of the android carasole, but its just less effective horizontal.

feel like the ios 11 ipad one can work on iphone.

You can already split safari into two windows in iOS 10.

Guess Who

Banned
JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH APPLECARE ABOUT THE NEW APPLECARE+ FOR MACS

(Guess Who this is for you)

If you:

a) bought your Mac within the last year and did not get AppleCare on it, you are still eligible to purchase the old plan that does not include accidental damage as if nothing has changed

b) bought your Mac within the last 60 days (April 7 is the strict cutoff) you are eligible to either upgrade your plan to the AC+ version (I didn't ask if it was automatic, sorry, but it didn't sound like it), or buy AC+ if you didn't already. There is no non-Plus AppleCare for you to purchase

c) bought your Mac before April 7th and got AppleCare there is no upgrade path as you are out of the 60 days. Your regular AC still applies but there is no way to add accidental damage

I'm in camp C, unfortunately

Thanks for the info! I tried to call them earlier myself, but the agent seemed rather clueless (I had to convince him that the old Mac AppleCare didn't cover accidental damage, for instance). This sounds like it's from someone who knows what's going on.

Thanks for the info! I tried to call them earlier myself, but the agent seemed rather clueless (I had to convince him that the old Mac AppleCare didn't cover accidental damage, for instance). This sounds like it's from someone who knows what's going on.

Got straight to a senior advisor so I trust the info

Shearie

The thing is, Safari Split View is just a trick within the app that's completely separate and different from the system-wide Split View. There isn't two instances of the app running, just two views that are displaying tabs at the same time. I imagine other apps can implement their own version of the same thing, but the implementation would differ from app to app.

You could probably even float a third, proper slideover app on top of Safari's Split View.

I know that it's not 2 Safari apps open and it's all in the same app, it's that 3rd party apps that I have don't support it whenever I needed it.

Fhtagn

Wtf at those staggered prices and amounts. I mean, that's great, but damn

Yeah the lower tiers aren't great.

But 2tb that you can use across family sharing might be perfect for my wife and I, and be twice as much space as I'm already paying Dropbox for, so I'm very interested to see this.

Karish

Unless you can find an iPad Air 2 for significantly less than 329 you can probably find a better deal on the 2017 iPad. It is for all intents and pourposes an iPad Air 2. But it will be supported longer.

Edit:
Also no guarantee Air 2 will support all iOS 11 features. no reason the 2017 iPad won't since it's the last non pro update to iPad before release of 11

I think the 2017 iPad is worse actually...

Guess Who

Banned
Also curious if iPad Mini 4 will be able to use most of those awesome iOS 11 features.

I have one. Split view, fancy new dock, drag and drop, Files, and new multitasking view are all present and accounted for.

That said, they kind of aren't great to use on an 8" screen. Makes me wish I had the new 10.5" model.

I have one. Split view, fancy new dock, drag and drop, Files, and new multitasking view are all present and accounted for.

That said, they kind of aren't great to use on an 8" screen. Makes me wish I had the new 10.5" model.
Thanks for responding. Holding out for money on my birthday this year for the 10.5" model. Mainly want pencil support.

hirokazu

I know that it's not 2 Safari apps open and it's all in the same app, it's that 3rd party apps that I have don't support it whenever I needed it.
Yeah, I imagine because each app developer has to implement their own solution based on what sort of views they use, particularly if they use a custom one. And nobody has bothered.

I think the next step is for Apple to figure out an elegant way to support multiple independent views per app, much the same way apps on a desktop can have multiple independent windows.

With iOS 11, you now have two apps that are Split Viewed tied together in the app switcher, it makes sense to go with independent views. So you could have for example:

- A Safari view split with a Pages document with research sites open for an assignment
- Another Safari view split with a Note with holiday destination sites for planning a trip
- While another Note is split with Messages so you can work out how much you owe each other after a night out

This would, of course, give you side-by-side Split View of the same app for free.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I think the 2017 iPad is worse actually...

The screen is quite worse. Not only is it not laminated, but there is no anti-reflective coating, and let me tell you, it makes a huge difference in screen viewability.
Don't get me wrong. Would prefer if those screen enhancements were there. They are better in every way. But the Air 1 screen was fine and the 2017 seems analogous to it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay. I've watched EverythingApplePro's overview of iOS 11...

I now see how Notification Center works. It's weird. I mean making it look like the lock screen without locking the device is strange. I bet they'll get a lot of feedback about that one. It'll probably change by release.

The Control Center is my favorite though. Exactly what I wanted. But I think I'd rather they made the volume and brightness boxes 2x1 instead of 1x2 and made you able to remove the Screen Mirroring icon and have the other two icons above it be part of the togglable selection. Or make the mirror be a smaller button that can be removed. Just make it all around a grid of icons below the two sliders. I'd probably have made the music controls 4x1 wide and had the other controls in the top left be 4x1 as well. I do like that it scrolls if you enable too many. I won't be having as many icons though. A lot of those features I'd probably never even use.

Also can't wait to see what Files can do.

Really looking forward to seeing what they change over the next few weeks.

I'm so glad I got a 7+ instead of like a 6S+ or something. My phone is gonna love iOS 11. Can't wait for the Public Beta.

Shearie

Yeah, I imagine because each app developer has to implement their own solution based on what sort of views they use, particularly if they use a custom one.

I think the next step is for Apple to figure out an elegant way to support multiple independent views per app, much the same way apps on a desktop can have multiple independent windows.

With iOS 11, you now have two apps that are Split Viewed tied together in the app switcher, it makes sense to go with independent views, so you could have Safari with some research sites split with a Pages document for an assignment while having another Safari view with holiday destination sites split with Notes for planning a trip, while another Notes view is open with Messages while working out how much you owe your friend.

That's why I wish there was an official API to take the split view version of the app that the developer already created, and use that to relatively easily create a same-app split view.

I now see how Notification Center works. It's weird. I mean making it look like the lock screen without locking the device is strange. I bet they'll get a lot of feedback about that one. It'll probably change by release.

The Control Center is my favorite though. Exactly what I wanted. But I think I'd rather they made the volume and brightness boxes 2x1 instead of 1x2 and made you able to remove the Screen Mirroring icon and have the other two icons above it be part of the togglable selection. Or make the mirror be a smaller button that can be removed. Just make it all around a grid of icons below the two sliders. I'd probably have made the music controls 4x1 wide and had the other controls in the top left be 4x1 as well. I do like that it scrolls if you enable too many. I won't be having as many icons though. A lot of those features I'd probably never even use.

I'm so glad I got a 7+ instead of like a 6S+ or something. My phone is gonna love iOS 11. Can't wait for the Public Beta.

People on Reddit we're giving apple a ton of shit for the new control center, but I honestly love it. I even love how it looks. Everything you need has its own space and size and we can easily be mastered with muscle memory

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Really not so sure about the calculator icon though. I don't know why. I thought the old one is fine. The new one is a picture of a calculator with too few buttons. Eh. Whatever. I keep my calculator in a folder anyway since I can launch it from Control Center anyway. (Also keep my camera in there since, as I said, I can launch it from the CC. I hate redundancy when I can avoid it.) Though the icon in CC is also a weird icon. So...

golem

Wow if that iPad Pro came out with ios 11 a few months earlier I would have totally gotten that for my Mom instead of the MacBook. Curious to see how far they keep pushing iOS

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, I imagine because each app developer has to implement their own solution based on what sort of views they use, particularly if they use a custom one. And nobody has bothered.

With iOS 11, you now have two apps that are Split Viewed tied together in the app switcher, it makes sense to go with independent views. So you could have for example:

- A Safari view split with a Pages document with research sites open for an assignment
- Another Safari view split with a Note with holiday destination sites for planning a trip
- While another Note is split with Messages so you can work out how much you owe each other after a night out

This would, of course, give you side-by-side Split View of the same app for free.

So now third party apps that support split view are going to need to support saving of multiple states, because they may be in multiple spaces?

I actually feel like outside of the Control Center changes there aren't a ton of user-beneficial reasons to enter the beta on an iPhone - most of the improvements will rely on all other users being on iOS 11 and/or iOS 11 upgrades to third party apps.

On iPad it's super tempting though.

I also really wanna know about the new Now Playing complication on Apple Watch. If it's got full play controls and volume controls somehow I'll be really happy about it - it's the only Glance that I miss.

Oh shit, I've been waiting for this so I can drop Dropbox after the shenanigans they pulled with macOS. Cool.

Don't know anyone on iOS11 to test it out with, but it looks like I can share a link of both individual documents and whole folders. Excited to see how this pans out

Kabanossi

Any info on the Home-button on the 10.5" iPad? Is it like on the iPhone 7 or does it actually click? Last weekend I had my friends iPhone SE in my hands and god I had forgotten how awful the old style Home-buttons were. I love the vibrating Home-button on my iPhone 7.

So am I understanding this correctly? The iPad Pros are listed to only get up to 10 hours of battery life for basic things like web/music/video. The iPhone 7+ says it gets up to 14-15 hours for the same things. I was always under the impression that the iPads had way better battery life for things like that, given their size (and therefore battery size) and lack of need for service. Am I really gonna be able to game for shorter periods of time on an iPad than my phone? Kinda disappointing if so.

Mortemis

Banned
do you guys think (or know if) the new usb-c fast charging for the iPad will work on the iPhone? As in if it'll charge a lot faster. I already have an iPad charger for my iPhone and it's way better than the one that comes in the box, but I'd love it to be faster like some android phones.

Garou

Don't get me wrong. Would prefer if those screen enhancements were there. They are better in every way. But the Air 1 screen was fine and the 2017 seems analogous to it.

As someone who upgraded from Air 1 to the 2017-model: The screen on the new one is noticeably brighter and the colors are more vibrant.

Lima

So am I understanding this correctly? The iPad Pros are listed to only get up to 10 hours of battery life for basic things like web/music/video. The iPhone 7+ says it gets up to 14-15 hours for the same things. I was always under the impression that the iPads had way better battery life for things like that, given their size (and therefore battery size) and lack of need for service. Am I really gonna be able to game for shorter periods of time on an iPad than my phone? Kinda disappointing if so.

That's at 120Hz though.

Top Bottom