• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

holygeesus

Banned
There were Music updates. You can now see and share what you are listening with your friends and also everyone can add to playlists when using airplay. Those are the two I remember besides further integrating Siri with it.

What I want more is user created playlists that you can share with others. It may well be there now though, as you say, as I haven't kept track for a while. For example, If I just watched the last episode of The Leftovers, and liked the music - a user has already gone to the hassle of collating all the music from 3 seasons of TV into a playlist, which is a pretty killer feature. Being able to search for playlists on pretty much any topic, gives results.

pronk420

Is slideover or whatever that was called (where you could open an app on the right but it just covered part of the background app and you couldn't interact with the background app) gone now? Or maybe only available on the iPad Air 1?

Is slideover or whatever that was called (where you could open an app on the right but it just covered part of the background app and you couldn't interact with the background app) gone now? Or maybe only available on the iPad Air 1?

It's still there but it kind of floats over the other app now.

kiguel182

This keynote has got me more into switching to iCloud. How is it on Windows? I mainly use Mac but cross platform support is important.

I use iOS and MacOS, I should probably switch to iCloud and Apple's photo program since I don't like Google Photos that much anyway (I use it because of space concerns pretty much).

jts

...hate me...
This keynote has got me more into switching to iCloud. How is it on Windows? I mainly use Mac but cross platform support is important.

I use iOS and MacOS, I should probably switch to iCloud and Apple's photo program since I don't like Google Photos that much anyway (I use it because of space concerns pretty much).
I use iCloud extensively. Only thing I don’t like or recommend is Desktop & Documents folder on iCloud drive, and I rolled back. I would like if it only duplicated your docs and files to iCloud, but the way it deletes some files and just leaves a download symbolic link makes it bad for my tastes and workflow. If I have a 1GB file on my desktop I want to use it right away, not when it downloads. Besides if for some reason the download hangs or just keeps spinning endlessly (and it did), my blood pressure can’t take it.

For everything else - music (Apple Music + iCloud Music Library), photos, general syncing like notes, messages, passwords, phone backups, iCloud drive itself, it has been great.

Windows-wise, I’m not sure. I mean iCloud.com on the web is pretty comprehensive these days, and I think it will even support iMessage now? You also have access to your photos, iWork docs (view and edit) and whatnot. I guess it’s pretty decent support, and on top of it, Windows iTunes supports about everything Mac iTunes supports.

You can fully test things before switching completely, though. There’s free iCloud tiers and a trial for Apple Music. iCloud.com is always accessible. iWork apps are free. Give it a go.

I was really really impressed by the showing yesterday. The improvements to iPad and Apple Watch are ewspecially exciting to me, and overall it feels like Apple is making good on a lot of the groundwork they've been laying over the past few years

Super excited to see the iPhone 8 later this year, definitely feel the most about positive I've felt about Apple in years.

Running the Beta on my iPad Pro and loving it so far. This is a great accomplishment. Makes me want to actually by the Pencil just to complete the package.

Vashetti

Banned
Safari in High Sierra is impressive for HTML5score

On html5test.com, the Safari Technology Preview scores 416 out of a possible 555

Safari in High Sierra scores 457

eizarus

Banned
I feel like the UI design gets more inconsistent with each update. I was hoping to get the iPhone 8/10, but now that just depends entirely on hardware blowing everything else out the water, otherwise I'm jumping for the S8.

LordOfChaos

That's at 120Hz though.

Unclear on one thing - 120Hz to a bottom refresh rate with anything in between (like gsync/freesync), or fixed modes, 30, 48, 60, 120, etc?

When they introduced adaptive refresh last time it was only 30 OR 60Hz.

The 10 hours isn't at 120Hz though, it adapts based on on screen content, for sitting still on text it could be 30.

Lima

I just checked the tech specs and only see 'Touch ID' listed. Did i miss the second gen part somewhere? I hope it is the second gen!

Try buying an iPad and compare all of the models. There should be a find the best iPad for you button down at the bottom.

Second-generation fingerprint identity sensor built into the Home button

I like the iPad improvements but seriously they need to look into enabling mouse support. I have a BT keyboard and tried the whole productivity thing on my iPad and it's awful. Imagine moving your hands off the keyboard and reaching forward for every single little edit you need to do. Just a horrific experience.

If the iPad had mouse support I think I could actually consider using it over a PC.

Aiii

So not worth it
Any word on the RAM in the 10.5 yet?

Going to assume they bumped it up to 4GB to make it equal to the 12.9" but still would like some confirmation.

Not really. And the biggest problem with Apple's push into laptop replacement territory for the iPad is that when you attach a keyboard then it's incredibly uncomfortable to navigate as you lean over and touch the screen as it has no trackpad.

You can't maintain that a touchscreen OSX doesn't work because it has the wrong interface paradigm, but that the iPad does work when it has the wrong interface paradigm just as bad in the use case that Apple is overwhelmingly pushing for the device now.

I definitely agree about the keyboard, which is probably why Apple's focused on pushing keyboard shortcuts now (and the ability to focus a cursor with the arrow keys) when you press CMD.

A touchscreen OS X does not work, because there's far more wrong and unsuited to mobile-class hardware about OS X than there is iOS and laptop-class hardware. Try closing or minimising an OS X window with your thumb tip. Try moving and resizing windows. Try launching programs and navigating the Finder.

inner-G

Banned
Was cautiously hoping for iMac news

The iMac Pro seems like overkill and the Kaby Lake ones just seem like more spec bumps.

I think I'm just going to keep my Late 2013 Haswell 27" rolling and get a big external SSD to boot from to speed it up. I have the 2GB 775mx which is fine for designing stuff and running at 1440p - I really don't want an AMD GPU for Adobe CC since their apps use CUDA.

giga

Mr.Shrugglesツ;239369136 said:
The jpegs look warmer and more natural.
Color temperature is adjustable and these example photos are used to illustrate quality not what white balance was set.

Also. Warmth doesn't mean it's accurate.

tommyguns

Try buying an iPad and compare all of the models. There should be a find the best iPad for you button down at the bottom.

Appreciate the info! Great news.

Now, do I buy the 10.5 inch iPad Pro next week when it launches, or wait a few months and buy it closer to iOS 11 public release.

I'm thinking I'll wait a couple months at minimum.

FaintDeftone

I'm actually in the market for a new MacBook. I'm still rocking the late 2010 model MacBook Air with the Core2Duo. While the laptop still works well with Sierra, it's showing it's age when it comes to doing anything productive. I would love to upgrade to a MacBook Pro. Do you think the prices will drop on older models soon since the latest model was just announced?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Was cautiously hoping for iMac news

The iMac Pro seems like overkill and the Kaby Lake ones just seem like more spec bumps.

I think I'm just going to keep my Late 2013 Haswell 27" rolling and get a big external SSD to boot from to speed it up. I have the 2GB 775mx which is fine for designing stuff and running at 1440p - I really don't want an AMD GPU for Adobe CC since their apps use CUDA.

Apple's OS X improvements over the past few years have really been aimed at notebooks. I can understand your reluctance to upgrade.

I'm still on a 2009 27" with an i7, 10GB of RAM and an SSD replacing the Superdrive. It's thicker (not that you can see that from the front), missing the laminated screen, doesn't do 5K, is still on SATA2 and only has Bluetooth 2.0 so can't do Handoff but it's still a great machine that does everything I could ever ask of it.

The 5K screen and the ridiculous overkill of the Pro (not that I need or can afford it) have been the only things that have caught my attention in all that time but I'm still going to aim to get at least ten years out of this thing.

Aiii

So not worth it
Appreciate the info! Great news.

Now, do I buy the 10.5 inch iPad Pro next week when it launches, or wait a few months and buy it closer to iOS 11 public release.

I'm thinking I'll wait a couple months at minimum.

Money wise it won't matter, so it's up to you.

inner-G

Banned
QR code reader built into the camera app.

ABOUT TIME

Seems like too little too late. We've stopped doing stuff with QR because almost no one uses it

Apple's OS X improvements over the past few years have really been aimed at notebooks. I can understand your reluctance to upgrade.

I'm still on a 2009 27" with an i7, 10GB of RAM and an SSD replacing the Superdrive. It's thicker (not that you can see that from the front), missing the laminated screen, doesn't do 5K, is still on SATA2 and only has Bluetooth 2.0 so can't do Handoff but it's still a great machine that does everything I could ever ask of it.

The 5K screen and the ridiculous overkill of the Pro (not that I need or can afford it) have been the only things that have caught my attention in all that time but I'm still going to aim to get at least ten years out of this thing.
Agreed. I don't have a 5k screen on here, but 1440p is pretty for me for getting stuff done (4/5k is basically the same size UI just scaled up to look crisper)

I have no problems editing 4k video on here either. I have a PC for gaming, so I guess I'm good to go. I was kind of hoping they'd give me a reason to upgrade.

I almost wish they had an i7 version of the iMac pro. I don't do 3D renders so I don't care about core count. Apps like Photoshop will probably still run faster on a 4.5ghz i7 than the Pro because it will probably have a higher single-core clock speed. Same reason the iMacs were faster than the trashcan Mac Pros at some tasks

j-wood

I'm thinking of upgrading my Air 2 to the new 10.5 in pro. Kinda sucks because I just got the Air 2 last black friday during a sale and it was my first ipad.

Reasons being that I really miss then pencil type functionality for notes like I had on my surface pro 3 (no longer have it), and the other new upgrades to the pro sound great.

Is the pen and smart keyboard for the pro really good? Worth the upgrade basically?

amanset

Seems like too little too late. We've stopped doing stuff with QR because almost no one uses it

All the flights I have taken of late have been using electronic boarding passes which featured a QR code. Every concert I go to uses an electronic ticket with a QR code.

Shit is everywhere. Where on earth do you live?

Shearie

I'm thinking of upgrading my Air 2 to the new 10.5 in pro. Kinda sucks because I just got the Air 2 last black friday during a sale and it was my first ipad.

Reasons being that I really miss then pencil type functionality for notes like I had on my surface pro 3 (no longer have it), and the other new upgrades to the pro sound great.

Is the pen and smart keyboard for the pro really good? Worth the upgrade basically?

I went from an Air 2 to a 9.7 Pro with Smart Keyboard and Pencil early this year and I love all of it. The iPad is my main computer for consumption and productivity and it's a huge tool for my schoolwork (Still have a MacBook Pro. While the coding and compiling on an iPad dream still isn't here, it's great to have multiple screens for certain things I do). If I had time I would list a bunch of reasons why I love it and how I use it, so that's my quick overall take on it.

inner-G

Banned
All the flights I have taken of late have been using electronic boarding passes which featured a QR code. Every concert I go to uses an electronic ticket with a QR code.

Shit is everywhere. Where on earth do you live?

Those are instances where the user is issued a unique code and you put it under a dedicated scanner somewhere.

This is a QR reader on a phone. Just built into the camera app.

QR for phones is more often like "I'm going to scan this ketchup bottle while I'm at a restaurant so I can have the privilege of watching an ad." The payoffs are usually so lame that no one bothers even looking at them anymore. They are indeed everywhere, but the interaction numbers with them are laughably low.

QR codes are all over Asia, FWIW.
I could see how they could be popular, I just know that here in the US, using QR reader apps is not popular

Top Bottom