• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

I've reached a point where I pretty much only use my MacBook to write, browse, and as a storage device for my photos; so the iPad Pro is very interesting to me. The odd thing for me is that I use an Apple extended keyboard II with a bunch of adapters for writing, so I think I'll buy the cheap iPad first and see if it's for me.

I could see how they could be popular, I just know that here in the US, using QR reader apps is not popular

For sure. I'm just saying that Apple adding that feature is 100% a strategic move for the Asia market and has nothing to do with the US. (Although QR codes or something similar will likely become increasingly common as an affordable means for augmented reality stuff rather than as something you individually scan - filling the world with NFC tags would be too expensive)

Guess Who

Banned
hugocésar;239384283 said:
I've reached a point where I pretty much only use my MacBook to write, browse, and as a storage device for my photos; so the iPad Pro is very interesting to me. The odd thing for me is that I use an Apple extended keyboard II with a bunch of adapters for writing, so I think I'll buy the cheap iPad first and see if it's for me.

Does the Extended Keyboard II ultimately connect over USB? If so, you might be able to use it with an iPad with one of these.

ShowDog

I like the iPad improvements but seriously they need to look into enabling mouse support. I have a BT keyboard and tried the whole productivity thing on my iPad and it's awful. Imagine moving your hands off the keyboard and reaching forward for every single little edit you need to do. Just a horrific experience.

If the iPad had mouse support I think I could actually consider using it over a PC.

I'm actually considering an iPad Pro over a laptop but the one thing really holding me back is lack of mouse/trackpad support for the same reasons you mentioned.

A pretty serious amount of my use would be at a desk, and typing on a keyboard and reaching to the screen is absolutely awful. I never use my iPad Air 2 for actual work at a desk for that very reason, and while the software/hardware in the Pro is better those have never been problems exactly on my Air 2. It's all the reaching over the keyboard.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I could see how they could be popular, I just know that here in the US, using QR reader apps is not popular
I mean... I am the biggest QR code hater in the world.. ok, not literally.. but yeah, I have NEVER understood where using a QR code is ever more convenient than the other way of accessing it. Like, I don't care about your shitty marketing. No I don't want to go through the hassle of loading up an app, to scan a code, for you to sell me something..

with that being said, moving it over to smart recognition in the camera app, which is a swipe away from my lock screen, and transitioning QR codes from marketing to something useful... shit, now THAT I can get on board with.

my hope (uggh. hope..) is that now that QR codes will be potentially ubiquitous with 500M plus users.. that places will start using them for more than just marketing. let me scan a QR code on a bus stop sign to be instantly taken to that bus lines' schedule. that sort of thing.

jstripes

Banned
OK, HEIF needs to supplant both gif and jpeg. It can store not just stills but bursts, animations/sequences, alpha channels (transparency), and non-destructive edits.

http://nokiatech.github.io/heif/comparison.html

Chrome, Android, and Windows need to add support.

It's amazing how long JPEG, developed 25 years ago, has stuck around as the default image format. I'm glad we're finally moving forward.

HEIF is an awkward sounding name, though.

Mindwipe

OK, HEIF needs to supplant both gif and jpeg. It can store not just stills but bursts, animations/sequences, alpha channels (transparency), and non-destructive edits.

http://nokiatech.github.io/heif/comparison.html

Chrome, Android, and Windows need to add support.

The patent situation is a disaster, so there's literally less than zero chance of that happening.

I'm not sure what Apple are thinking with this format to be honest. It's reasonably good as a format (though the container is unnecessarily complex) but it will effectively be an Apple only image format, with all the pain in the ass that that entails.

KdotIX

Does the Extended Keyboard II ultimately connect over USB? If so, you might be able to use it with an iPad with one of these.

This to me is a very interesting prospect. Can anybody confirm if this works please?

Really considering getting a new iPad Pro instead of a high end Windows laptop now. Was about to jump on a razer blade after selling my high end 13" MPB. but then upon further thought I realised that I only really use a laptop for browsing and watching videos. After seeing my wife use PiP with Netflix on her Air 2, I thought that was really neat and I think with the iOS11 refinements it should be even better.

Whilst it would be nice to have a laptop capable of playing high end games, the use case isn't really there for me since I prefer to play on my desktop anyway. So I'm okay with having that clear dividing line between my desktop and portable systems. This way, I also save a bit of money which can go toward a new desktop next year.

The iPad Pro now seems like a solution which walks the line very well between mobile tablet device and a conventional laptop/notebook. I would really like to know how much RAM is in these things. Also considering picking one up from the US, because the prices are crazy here in the UK, especially for the Pencil and cover cases.

jstripes

Banned
The patent situation is a disaster, so there's literally less than zero chance of that happening.

I'm not sure what Apple are thinking with this format to be honest. It's reasonably good as a format (though the container is unnecessarily complex) but it will effectively be an Apple only image format, with all the pain in the ass that that entails.

People said "What was Apple thinking?" when they chose AAC over MP3, but the rest of the industry eventually followed suit.

PFD

Any word on the RAM in the 10.5 yet?

Going to assume they bumped it up to 4GB to make it equal to the 12.9" but still would like some confirmation.

I too am interested in knowing this. Would be a shame if they kept it at 2GB

Am buying one anyway though, going from an Air 1. It's nearly 4 years old at this point and only has 1GB RAM

AndTAR

So I noticed some iPad Air 2 discussion in the thread - has anyone tried installing the beta on this device? Any impressions?

Of course it's not realistic to judge performance, being a beta - I was thinking more in the line of missing features. Apparently the "hover"-multitasking requires 4 GB RAM, and should therefore be missing - but might there be anything else, as well?

Edit: .. On the note of RAM in 10.5, as you discuss above and below - I guess the 4 GB requirement for hover multitasking, which I base off this tweet from Steven Troughton-Smith, would confirm 4 GB of RAM in the 10.5 Pro? Since it apparently supports the feature.

Number45

I too am interested in knowing this. Would be a shame if they kept it at 2GB

Am buying one anyway though, going from an Air 1. It's nearly 4 years old at this point and only has 1GB RAM
iPad 3 to this...

giphy.gif

giga

Is it any different from HEVC?

soldat7

Is slideover or whatever that was called (where you could open an app on the right but it just covered part of the background app and you couldn't interact with the background app) gone now? Or maybe only available on the iPad Air 1?

There is no swipe left, so it's gone. You have to do two or three additional actions to do the same thing...(swipe up, hope its in the Dock, hold the icon and drag it carefully over...)

Seriously, it's a big downgrade that I hope they fix

Shared Links are gone from Safari, nooooooo

Tbh they should add this into the News app, Nuzzel-style.

I'd also almost be down for having the Safari Reading List read-later stuff nudged into News somehow too. But combining the featureset of Nuzzel and a better RSS experience into the News app would actually get me to use it over Reeder/Feedly/Flipboard. I think it'd be brilliant for Apple to let third-party apps inject items into News (with user permission, of course), thus more properly letting paid subscriptions really work as needed.

I'm enough of a news addict that I have a bunch of different sources for news, each with different strengths, and it's annoying that I can't get some best-of-the-best featuresets distilled into a single app.

Shearie

There is no swipe left, so it's gone. You have to do two or three additional actions to do the same thing...(swipe up, hope its in the Dock, hold the icon and drag it carefully over...)

Seriously, it's a big downgrade that I hope they fix

Oh. I didn't think about this and that sucks :(

I remember hearing somewhere that you can drag the slide over app off screen. Can anyone in the beta confirm this? If that does work, does it work as well as the old slide over for sliding the app on and off the screen?

Even if sliding in an app quickly is gone, maybe it won't be so bad since you can change to your full screen favorite apps quicker now with the Dock.

Guess Who

Banned
Incredibly minor change to the MacBook Pro and 12" MacBook: the option and control keys now have their "shortcut" symbols printed directly on the keys.

Eg0y1ku.png

Shearie

Question about the Dock to anybody running the iOS 11 beta: When you fill your Dock with a ton of apps (I remember hearing that you can put as many there as you want), do the app icons get smaller, like on the Mac, or is the Dock scrollable, or is it some other implementation?

Guess Who

Banned
Question about the Dock to anybody running the iOS 11 beta: When you fill your Dock with a ton of apps (I remember hearing that you can put as many there as you want), do the app icons get smaller, like on the Mac, or is the Dock scrollable, or is it some other implementation?

Smaller, like the Mac. There is a cap on how many apps you can have at once (on my iPad mini 4, it seems to be 11 apps + 3 recents).

snacknuts

we all knew her
Incredibly minor change to the MacBook Pro and 12" MacBook: the option and control keys now have their "shortcut" symbols printed directly on the keys.

Eg0y1ku.png

Inexcusable that they weren't on there before. I have been using a Mac as my primary machine for going on ten years and I still don't know off the top of my head which of those icons is associated with which key.

jstripes

Banned

Eg0y1ku.png

Good. I don't even know why they removed them in the first place. Having those symbols on menus but not on the keyboard is extremely confusing for newer users.

Control really needs a new symbol, though. It's too easily confused with the caret, and too similar to shift.

Shearie

Smaller, like the Mac. There is a cap on how many apps you can have at once (on my iPad mini 4, it seems to be 11 apps + 3 recents).

Interesting. I could have swore I heard somewhere that it was as many as you want, which I take to mean unlimited. Also, I would have never thought Apple would ever rescale tapable app icons.

Guess Who

Banned
Interesting. I could have swore I heard somewhere that it was as many as you want, which I take to mean unlimited. Also, I would have never thought Apple would ever rescale tapable app icons.

That's probably why there's a cap: they'd be too small to reliably tap at a certain point.

Natiko

Banned
Really think it's time I get a new iPad with this new version. Also kind of want a MacBook Pro but I think the new Asus Zenbooks look like a better deal. Then again I haven't seen any solid release info on those yet.

Control really needs a new symbol, though. It's too easily confused with the caret, and too similar to shift.

Historical symbol for control is the caret though. ISO symbol looks like a ship's wheel though, so I guess that could be adopted though I think it doesn't look as neat.

Jeffrey

On a side note is the 2015 Retina MacBook pro a good buy? See them around $1000 for the 13".

Never owned a MacBook in my life, kinda curious to try. Maybe look into ios development finally lol.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Eg0y1ku.png

Inexcusable that they weren't on there before. I have been using a Mac as my primary machine for going on ten years and I still don't know off the top of my head which of those icons is associated with which key.
My god, seriously. I always forget which one does what. Every single time. I end up having to open a menu and press the key to see which symbol changes an option just to find out which one is Control and which is Option.

br3wnor

I like the iPad improvements but seriously they need to look into enabling mouse support. I have a BT keyboard and tried the whole productivity thing on my iPad and it's awful. Imagine moving your hands off the keyboard and reaching forward for every single little edit you need to do. Just a horrific experience.

If the iPad had mouse support I think I could actually consider using it over a PC.

I agree that this would be a nice feature, but using the pencil in conjunction w/ my BT keyboard makes it a pretty decent experience. I don't have to hunch over and I get things done relatively quickly though a mouse would be quicker. I'm forced to use my setup in tight spaces sometimes when on the road and for that the pencil works fine as a pointing device.

I still wish they'd go all in and make iPad Pro more a MacOS experience but these iOS improvements might be enough to make me comfortable.

I’m loving the screenshot markup ability. The pic shows up on the lower left. Swipe if off to save it (or do nothing). Or tap it to write/draw on it. Send/save/delete it from there. Fantastic stuff.

So I know that Apple is shipping iPads for deliver next week. Yesterday if you ordered it was June 13th delivery, today it is June 14th. Do we know yet if they are going to sell them in stores starting early next week as well? I'm thinking of replacing my Air 2 with the new 10.5" Pro, would love to go and mess with one first before deciding on a purchase (and I would also love confirmation that the smaller size also get the 4 gb of RAM).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I’m loving the screenshot markup ability. The pic shows up on the lower left. Swipe if off to save it (or do nothing). Or tap it to write/draw on it. Send/save/delete it from there. Fantastic stuff.
If you take another screenshot when the overlay omitted in the next screen shot or can you inception cascading screenshots? lol

tommyguns

Money wise it won't matter, so it's up to you.

Oh, I know. It doesn't have to do with money. It's more along the line of...Do i buy the new one now and get the same old iPad/iOS experience , or buy one fresh this fall with all the new features. (In a stable form) I'm leaning towards the latter as it will make it feel like a much more 'fresh' experience.

Also, been wanting to buy an Apple Watch for a while now, and those Toy Story faces got me hype, so one of those will be mine this fall as well

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yes they will have them in stores next week. Quantities (or constraints) unknown at this point. That they still haven't slipped online is promising.

I am a "day 1 in a month". This thing is incredible and a long overdue upgrade for my Air (people saying their Air still works perfect.. I am totally calling you out on that BS.. yeah if you mean turning on a video and letting it play is perfectly. Web browsing and ANY sort of productivity is a lagfest)

tommyguns

ALSO: I know we won't officially know about RAM on the new iPad Pro, but we can almost lock in the fact that the 12.9 will once again have 4 GB (I don't see Apple bumping this to even more)...REALLY hope the 10.5 matches that so both products are a match. I'd rather not buy the larger version just to have more RAM.

So far from the little things here and there people are reporting on, it does seem the 10.5 inch will have 4 GB of RAM. Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom