• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

falconzss

Cool i guess...but I don't need a 15" device. I'm basically stuck with the Air because the 13" "Pro" still sports this crappy resolution.

Quick

Banned
Siri in Mountain Lion?
http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/6032/apple-wwdc-2012-_0791.jpg[IMG]

Or is that dictation?[/QUOTE]

Dictation (I'm assuming). Siri's icon is round.

[IMG]http://www.midriffhelpingsolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dictation-icon.jpg

$2199 is a prettygood price from Apple. It isn't really that much more expensive than other laptops available with comparable specs and features, plus it has that added thinness and sexiness appeal that most of the other laptops have. While it definitely is still too expensive for the average consumer, it is a good price for the high end model it is supposed to be.

I guess it just comes up to whether you're willing to pay like $300-400 just to have a Retina display, which I'm certainly not but I'm sure many people are.

Going to buy it so I can bask in it's glory for 14 days and then return it for my money back lol

Still too damn expensive. :((((

DAMN BEING A POOR STUDENT!!!

rezuth

That's kind of a stupid comparison. Of all things, why would Apple compare userbase to Windows. The % data isn't fooling anyone

They are showing developers that people are more likely to adopt to newer OS on Mac's. Which mean they shouldn't wait to implement new features that are dependent on the OS.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Was going to buy an updated Air today, but fuck it. I'm going to save up a bit more and pick up this update MacBook Pro. That thing is way too cool.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Let's see a PC OEM come out with a Laptop at that resolution for less than $2000 in the next year.

So what? It's a $2000 laptop. What are you going to be doing with that that a $1000 laptop won't be able to do? Don't answer that, I'm just saying, it's a very expensive laptop and only the magic of Apple will make people think it's somehow a bargain.

LCfiner

That's kind of a stupid comparison. Of all things, why would Apple compare userbase to Windows. The % data isn't fooling anyone

because they want to show developers that they can target new technologies in the OS and not worry about users not having the OS to support it.

again, think of the audience. they’re not trying to tout overall marketshare compared to windows. they’re showing that the users are more apt to upgrade quickly to the latest OS

Apple's are experts at making you think something is super expensive, so when they disclose a $2000 laptop, people think it's a frickin bargain. It's a $2000 laptop!!! Not very many people need a $2000 laptop, even if Apple just made you think that's super cheap for what you're getting.

I bought mine in 2006. It cost $2100. Best money I ever spent, too.

JordanKZ

Apparently I'm the only person who thinks buying a laptop for £2000 (what it's likely to be in the UK) isn't completely insane. Regardless of specifications.

KingKong

dumb question: if I connect my Macbook to an external display, would the insane new retina res affect how it looks? like will it look a lot worse, or better, or the same as before?

Retina display seems a luxury for a notebook. I think the screen on my 13inch 2011 model looks great. So i'm a little surprised at the amount of people here wanting to pay $2k for, ultimately, a higher resolution screen

You guys must all be on Whitta-level salaries

Dictation (I'm assuming). Siri's icon is round.

dictation-icon.jpg

To match the iPhone button. I'm sure they'd change it for desktop.

dc89

dumb question: if I connect my Macbook to an external display, would the insane new retina res affect how it looks? like will it look a lot worse, or better, or the same as before?

No I don't think it will. It will only support the max resolution of the display you're connecting it too.

Talon

How does a company that gets so many UI elements correct...still muck around with the hideous skeumorphic nonsense for notes and calendar?
Retina display seems a luxury for a notebook. I think the screen on my 13inch 2011 model looks great. So i'm a little surprised at the amount of people here wanting to pay $2k for, ultimately, a higher resolution screen
It's combination of form factor, power, battery life, and the thing you stare at whenever you use your computer.

eznark

Banned

Any amount for anything from Apple anytime. Should not be a surprise.

Also, this thing is powerful as hell on paper.

gcubed

its a nice option, but the hyperbolic "Apple shit on the ultrabook crowd" is a little off base. Its a $2200 laptop

_woLf

It's pretty sad how some people in here seem to think $2100 for a frankly under-performing laptop is a good deal.

Apple has you by the strings.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I bought mine in 2006. It cost $2100. Best money I ever spent, too.

I spent $900 for a laptop in 2008, it still works also. That's a lot of money for a laptop, no matter how you spin it. I'm not knocking anyone for wanting to buy one, I'm just amused at how much of a bargain folks are saying this is.

Top Bottom