• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

JackEtc

It's going to have retina data beams.

KuGsj.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Retina display seems a luxury for a notebook. I think the screen on my 13inch 2011 model looks great. So i'm a little surprised at the amount of people here wanting to pay $2k for, ultimately, a higher resolution screen

You guys must all be on Whitta-level salaries

It's $1000 or so more for an insane resolution increase. You stare at the screen for hours every day, you might as well make that experience more enjoyable. You also get a quad core CPU. Dedicated graphics. More memory. Vastly improved battery life, and more.

I'm typing this from the perspective of a MacBook Air owner.

It's pretty sad how some people in here seem to think $2100 for a frankly under-performing laptop is a good deal.

Apple has you by the strings.

Some people just don't get it. It's all about not willing to compromise. If you like OS X, you don't care about how cheap any Windows laptop is. Good deal or not, it's reasonable. No other laptop currently exists with that kind of resolution. Hell, there aren't even many full-on computer monitors with that kind of resolution. Even if there were, they'd cost $1,000 or more on their own.

neptunes

I hope they dont regulate iMessage to Mountain Lion exclusively (or even mac at all)

it has the potential to be big ifs usable on PCs as well

Midas

Oh fuuuuu. I've been waiting for the iMac for, what did I say? four months, but this new MacBook, might just buy it instead.

Interfectum

I spent $900 for a laptop in 2008, it still works also. That's a lot of money for a laptop, no matter how you spin it. I'm not knocking anyone for wanting to buy one, I'm just amused at how much of a bargain folks are saying this is.

It's cool to see someone so easily amused. Tell us more.

LCfiner

Dictation is a new reveal, right? I don’t remember reading about it before.

Nice that it’s built into the OS. I don’t think I’d use it though since I always got music blaring on speakers...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Ive owned two nearly maxed out mbp that cost me just above 2000 dollars each. Well worth it. Outlived nearly all of my colleagues non-apple laptops.

Levyne

Banned
Well it didn't take long for this thread to begin to suck.

I bought a nice new laptop 2 months ago and lol now it's outdated. I hate (love) technology

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
for all that flowery talk about their thermal design of the new MBP, it looks almost unchanged from the 2011 MBPs with Sandy Bridge, and those can get very, very loud and run up to 95C. it's not as if they've invented new heatpipe technology, and from what I've read about Ivy they've yet to be shown to be reliably cooler than Sandy Bridge in spite of being on a smaller fab process.

they've introduced the split batteries from the MBA line, which does work really well to maximize the space it can take in the chassis.

Ambitious

I always chuckle at Javascript benchmark comparisons like this one. Apple says Safari ist the fastest, MS says IE, Google says Chrome, and Mozilla says Firefox. All browser are the fastest.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Specs are great and the screen is best ever quality. I don't see the issue. My first computer, a piece of crap IBM Aptiva in 1996, cost about $2500. This is amazing.

But it's Apple, so haters gonna hate. It's why I don't read Engadget anymore.

VALIS

For $2200 you could buy a top of the line ATI HD 7970, 32gb RAM, quad core laptop that could play any game in the world at max settings and 60+ fps.

Basically, you could have the most powerful laptop in the world right now, one that rivals 95% of the desktops out there.... or you could buy a shiny MacBook. I don't get it, myself.

Midas

Specs are great and the screen is best ever quality. I don't see the issue. My first computer, a piece of crap IBM Aptiva in 1996, cost about $2500. This is amazing.

But it's Apple, so haters gonna hate. It's why I don't read Engadget anymore.

:lol. My first computer was an Aptiva as well. Hideous thing. 120 MHz.

Top Bottom