• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

eznark

Banned
For $2200 you could buy a top of the line ATI HD 7970, 32gb RAM, quad core laptop that could play any game in the world at max settings and 60+ fps.

Basically, you could have the most powerful laptop in the world right now, one that rivals 95% of the desktops out there.... or you could buy a shiny MacBook.

Yeah, but it would be like 8 pounds and have 45 minutes of battery

NYR

You could probably save nearly a grand by coughing up an inch or two in size and not buying the brand with the giant apple on it. You'll live.

Thanks for your entering this thread and this post, you changed my life. Thanks.

zychi

Banned
It's pretty sad how some people in here seem to think $2100 for a frankly under-performing laptop is a good deal.

Apple has you by the strings.

A non-retina 15 inch apple laptop is only $500 less. For being the first of its kind, they couldve gauged the shit out of the fan boys and had it be over $3000. I have no desire for a 15 inch laptop so I'm going to wait til there's a 13 inch version.

I'm more bummed the regular air and mbps didnt get resolution bumps. 2 year old display resolutions annoys me.

Talon

For $2200 you could buy a top of the line ATI HD 7970, 32gb RAM, quad core laptop that could play any game in the world at max settings and 60+ fps.

Basically, you could have the most powerful laptop in the world right now, one that rivals 95% of the desktops out there.... or you could buy a shiny MacBook. I don't get it, myself.
At the cost of battery life, portability, and a hideous Alienware logo.

Basically, you could have the most powerful laptop in the world right now, one that rivals 95% of the desktops out there.... or you could buy a shiny MacBook. I don't get it, myself.
Yeah I've seen those laptops, aren't they about the size and weight of a Samsonite suitcase?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Apple trolls continue to not understand why Apple products sell so well, I see.

Hint: stop comparing numbers.

The new top end macbook pro doesn't seem that much better than my current - late 2011 - one when you factor in the fact that new 60% faster GPU will be outputting to a higher resolution screen that requires substantially more power.

At the cost of battery life, portability, and a hideous Alienware logo.
I can build a desktop tower quite easily. For a video editor there is very little reason to stay within the overpriced Apple ecosystem now they've decided to drag their heels with Final Cut.

Some people don't want to use Windows.

dark_chris

Ive had one of those before. Its not really portable and i didn't like it. it weighed 16 pounds. And I go to school. So why would i wanna get a laptop that weighs a lot and puts stress on me?

It was one of the reasons why i got a Macbook Pro - it only weighed 5 pounds, plus its thinner so i can fit my textbooks inside.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
is anyone going to buy the 15inch normal pro?

all it has is < 500gbs of non ssd memory over the new version at 2200

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

That laptop has 1920x1200 display, tops. It also probably weighs a shitload, looks ugly as sin, is thick as an encyclopedia, and gets maybe 2 hours of life from the battery.

Honestly, if gaming is your top priority on a laptop, I don't know what to say.

Oppo

Question:

Would one be able to hook up this new retina MacBook to a 2011 iMac via thunderbolt cable, and use the iMac's display as a 2nd display device, from the MB? Have they enabled that sort of 2-way comms?

joshschw

A computer that still doesn't have a retina display, which is a big part of the point...

Ppi or retina is far less important than an actual nice display, which you won't get on a tiny thin laptop. Will this new mbp have a nice LAPTOP screen? Yes. Won't compare to a nice standalone monitor, which most people haven't ever seen. They cost more than $229...

gcubed

Yeah, but it would be like 8 pounds and have 45 minutes of battery

i think they come with their own straps as well. Since they dont fit in any cases because they are so thick.

The squeeze a non ULV chip and that screen into that form factor is where the money goes. Its fantastic engineering for a beautiful laptop.

Digishine

Banned

First.

Not everyone wants to game

Second.

With a hideous look ? like those alienware laptops ? No thx.

Three.

Windows... Nope

dc89

Some random guy has that twitter handle

apple-wwdc-2012-_0826.jpg

I bet he gets loads of mentions now.

LCfiner

POWER NAP!

so it&#8217;s sync during sleep?

seems useful, actually.

edit. can you guys ignore the obvious trolls? it&#8217;s annoying to read all these responses. it won&#8217;t change anyone&#8217;s mind. just ignore it and move on. jeesh

Apple trolls continue to not understand why Apple products sell so well, I see.

Hint: stop comparing numbers.

As the ipod, iphone, ipad, imac, macbook, macbook air have all conclusively proven, the most important thing ever for computers and devices is a bunch of numbers on a comparative specs matrix.

OH WAI-

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Dictation looks great. Looking forward to using this feature on neogaf.

RDreamer

Are they doing new MacBooks, too?

I really wanted to upgrade to a new Macbook Pro, since it's pretty ancient at this point, but I'm not sure I can afford the 2 grand right now.

bionic77

Man this is really a lot better than E3. Apple is really at the forefront of a lot of tech these days.

Also I am pretty happy that I can finally pull the trigger on my new 13" MBA. Waiting for the last 6 weeks was tough!

Koodo

Banned
Look at the pressed souls airing their meat curtains in the breeze yet again.

Focusing so keenly on a SPEC-COST metric, while BLISSFULLY IGNORING how the MacBook line has a high re-sale value that would more than cover the initial price difference with the lesser brand of laptops.

Top Bottom