• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

Hoo-doo

Banned
Diablo 3 on low level settings ran on last years air. Should be absolutely no problem on a 2012 air. Blizzard has always been really good with maxing apple hardware.

Obviously if you want to max the settings and go all out you'll need a pro though.

It will run, but it will be far from enjoyable.
If you value gaming at all, don't go with the air, I talk from experience.

RBH

back_to_school_2012.jpg

Apple has launched its annual Back to School promotion, offering educational customers a $100 iTunes Store gift card with the purchase of a Mac or a $50 card with the purchase of an iPad.

As detailed in the official terms and conditions (PDF), the promotion is valid on the purchase of a new (non-refurbished) iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, or third-generation iPad. As in past years, the Mac mini is excluded from the promotion.

The promotion begins today and runs through September 21, and the gift cards are valid for purchases in the iTunes Store, iOS App Store, Mac App Store, and iBookstore. The offer is available in the following countries, with gift card amounts varying based on local currency: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/back_to_school

Doosi

Banned
You really need a dedicated graphics card to run Diablo 3 on a Mac. I have a 2009 MBP with a 9400m and D3 runs at an average of 15 fps at 800x600.

I keep hearing that programs will look blurry on the new Retina mac but what about watching youtube videos and using Microsoft Office? Would those be blurry or will they support the resolution? Also is there any word on when Blizzard will patch Diablo 3 to support the retina resolution?

Seanbob11

Would these new macs be good for software engineering? I've got a thinkpad X220i and I'm going to University after summer. Java, C++ and the like. Probably take some classes for PS and Flash too. These just look so damn sexy!

Jarmel

Banned
So the 17 inch pro is discontinued right?

Yea that's what it seems.

Was thinking about upgrading my 17inch but apparently that's out of the question. Anyway the whole thing is really unappealing for me, both the lack of a physical drive and the low storage is a real turn off. I would rather have the option to use a HDD as even 500 is too low.

Dreaver

I need advice for a new notebook, I'd love to get a Macbook and I am seeking some advice, this thread seems like a great opportunity due the new models. Anyways I hoped the new Pro's (13") would get a retina update, sadly not.

Here are some important points:
- My budget isn't too big, I'd love the retina one and I can afford it, but I just don't think I want to spend so much money on a computer, I'd rather spend something like $1200, *though* I will use it very intense the coming years (4 years +).
- I will need it for school, I will take it with me everyday (2-3h of travel / day).
- I might want to take it while traveling in the future.
- It will be used for internet / movies / Photoshop / Video editing / Photo editing (Lightroom) mainly.
- I don't really plan to game on it, though it would be nice to play Diablo 3.
- I'd love to do some 1080p editing.. Nothing too fancy (After Effects) but just regular editing with 1080p footage.

I also have my desktop rig for editing (Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9800 GTX). It was a beast of a computer 4 years ago but it now really has trouble with 1080p editing. So it isn't like I need the Macbook per se for editing, but it would be very nice.

So GAF, I have 3 questions:
1) Which Macbook do you guys suggest me to get? 13" MBP, 13" MBA or something else? I'm leaning towards the 13" MBP (lower model) because of the bigger harddrive + possibility of upgrading the RAM to 8GB).
2) How good / much better (worse?) would a 13" (cheaper 2012 model) Macbook be compared to my deskop?
3) Can the 13" MBP handle 1080 editing without problems? (Not talking about fancy effects, just regular editing).

I'd be really glad with some good GAF Advice :)

Yea that's what it seems.

Was thinking about upgrading my 17inch but apparently that's out of the question. Anyway the whole thing is really unappealing for me, both the lack of a physical drive and the low storage is a real turn off. I would rather have the option to use a HDD as even 500 is too low.

Are we sure we need to assume this? The 17" has always been the last model to get updates/refreshes, so it's more reasonable to assume that it'll get its own update later (unless the actual discontinuation of the line was announced).

Would these new macs be good for software engineering? I've got a thinkpad X220i and I'm going to University after summer. Java, C++ and the like. Probably take some classes for PS and Flash too. These just look so damn sexy!

High resolution means you can easily fit two or three windows next to each other, excellent for programming! And work in general.
It's awesome to have one third some paper one third browser and one third some editor.

KingKong

is Amazon or Best Buy or whoever going to discount the now old Macbook Airs? would love to pick up a 13 inch one for under a grand

Tobor

Are we sure we need to assume this? The 17" has always been the last model to get updates/refreshes, so it's more reasonable to assume that it'll get its own update later (unless the actual discontinuation of the line was announced).

You can buy an old as dirt iPod Classic and a barely refreshed still outdated MacBook Pro right now at apple.com

You can't buy a 17" MacBook Pro. It's safe to say it's dead.

You can buy an old as dirt iPod Classic and a barely refreshed still outdated MacBook Pro right now at apple.com

You can't buy a 17" MacBook Pro. It's safe to say it's dead.
Yea I just looked and saw that.

I guess this will be my last MBP. Or, at least I won't be buying a new MBP this year.

Unless Dell, Lenovo and HP stop making 17" laptops, in which case I'll be back again. I'll give it a look in the store, but soldered memory and ssd are initially off-putting to someone who enjoys upgrading those items later as needed/desired. I've just found those 2 things need to be flexible for the longevity of a computer. It's a lot to surrender for the "Pro" line of products. I don't really want an Elitebook or Precision (battery life), but damn. I'm feeling pushed out the door.

Seanbob11

High resolution means you can easily fit two or three windows next to each other, excellent for programming! And work in general.
It's awesome to have one third some paper one third browser and one third some editor.

Thank you for convincing me to spend near £2000 on a new laptop! :p

I bet your CL ads are as good as your OT threads

Ha naw they just need to be formatted correctly.

For instance here is the layout I used for selling my Macbook Pro:

craigs.jpg

I used the same format for a Ottoman and sold it for $150 above retail. The key is making your stuff look high quality but still affordable.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ha naw they just need to be formatted correctly.

For instance here is the layout I used for selling my Macbook Pro:

craigs.jpg

I used the same format for a Ottoman and sold it for $150 above retail. The key is making your stuff look high quality but still affordable.

These are real protips right here. Try to take images as professionally as possible. Lighting, positioning, the whole shebang.
Also, if you purchase Apple products, save the damn box. People are way more into items that look like new when they are sitting pretty in their original packaging.
Really helped me snag a nice price for my previous MBP.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How would windows work on a Retina display?
I guess you just set it to 220ppi and hope for the best (or less ppi if you want more desktop space)

I wonder more what implications this will have for certain aspects of web development. Specifically with canvas... Let's say I have a 600x600 pixels canvas object on a page. Is this object going to appear 2x smaller when viewed on a new MBP or is it going to be scaled up with pixel doubling? I guess I can test this kind of stuff on ipad 3 because it's probably going to work the same way. WebGL, Flash objects or video objects the same deal... I guess it all just gets pixel doubled, but I wonder if you can explicitly tell it not to?

Karud

when is the retina going to be in the stores?

Seems like it already is. Some people on Macrumors.com posted pics of their new device a few hours back.

@ Selling Stuff

If the box is representable always include it in at least one photo. It makes a huge difference on the potential buyers.

These are real protips right here. Try to take images as professionally as possible. Lighting, positioning, the whole shebang.
Also, if you purchase Apple products, save the damn box. People are way more into items that look like new when they are sitting pretty in their original packaging.
Really helped me snag a nice price for my previous MBP.

Yes! Save the box and all the little wraps for the cables, especially with apple stuff. People love the details.

I had moved recently and didn't have it but I always try and keep that stuff.

MrMephistoX

You really need a dedicated graphics card to run Diablo 3 on a Mac. I have a 2009 MBP with a 9400m and D3 runs at an average of 15 fps at 800x600.

Yeesh that bad huh? It runs so well on my entry level 2011 iMac that I haven't even bothered installing it in bootcamp yet to compare. Since I don't want to sell my iMac just to be able to justify the expense of the retina display Macbook Pro I think I'll just go with an air for school and upgrade my iMac in a few years.

Yes! Save the box and all the little wraps for the cables, especially with apple stuff. People love the details.

I had moved recently and didn't have it but I always try and keep that stuff.

This is pretty much good advice for everything you sell. It's the little things that add up to make a big difference in the end.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Have there been any gaming performance benchmarks performed with the new MacBook Airs?

coldfoot

Banned
The decision that's bugging me: When I get the money, do I spent the extra $500 on a retina mbp or stay with the 13" air? So conflicted
What's your typical usage case? I use my laptop attached to an external display + keyboard mouse most of the time, and when I'm not, I value portability and a decent screen resolution. Therefore, the air makes the most sense for me and I'll spend the extra $500-$600 towards that thunderbolt monitor.

What's your typical usage case? I use my laptop attached to an external display + keyboard mouse most of the time, and when I'm not, I value portability and a decent screen resolution. Therefore, the air makes the most sense for me and I'll spend the extra $500-$600 towards that thunderbolt monitor.

Internet, school, development, some light gaming. Which can be accomplished on both I guess.. It's just me wanting to pony up the extra for the new hotness, and my logical side saying it's a bad idea.

Hmmmm

Retina macpro max upgrade

First, forget the 2.3 GHz processor; we're going big. Upgrade to the 2.6 GHz processor ($600) for improved performance. Total MacBook price: $2,799.00.

Did we say 2.6 GHz processor? Because there's a faster one available, you know. You don't want a slower Intel chip inside your best-in-class machine, do you? I didn't think so. Let's upgrade to the 2.7 GHz processor ($250) and put our minds at ease. Total price: $3,049.00.

Next, the baseline MacBook Pro comes equipped with 8GB RAM. But wait: You can increase your RAM to 16GB ($200), with the promise of faster performance and the ability "to run more applications at the same time." This is necessary, as I often watch eight Netflix movies at once while also playing World of Warcraft and yelling at strangers on ChatRoulette. Total price: $3,249.00.

Now let's talk storage. The Retina MacBook is stocked with 512GB of storage, which is fine if you only have 125,000 songs in your iTunes library. But what if you have 185,000 songs you need to store? Upgrade to 768GB of flash storage ($500) and don't leave any tune behind. Total price: $3,749.00.

How about peripherals? Apple's USB SuperDrive lets you play and burn CDs and DVDs and connects to your Retina MacBook via USB. It costs $79 and will be totally worth it when you're trying to listen to your old Blues Travelers albums. You can also add on a 27-inch monitor ($999), which seems somewhat counterintuitive if you're paying all this money for a beautiful Retina display, but what the heck -- it's only money, right? Total price: $4,827.00.

LCfiner

In the past, I've enjoyed speccing out a 16 grand Mac Pro in the store for fun.

You'd get a free printer so it wasn't a bad deal.

noah111

Still Alive
It just hit me, these new retina MBP's make the whole plug-in feature to the apple displays (thunderbolt or not) almost irrelevant. Who's going to use a little bit bigger screen over a ridiculously sharper one?

Wonder when they'll push out retina displays, like they did with the thunderbolt refresh. And if it'll happen before the iMacs or not.

Top Bottom