• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

Anandtech said:
Diablo III is actually quite playable at 2880 x 1800

1999818_o.gif

Gowans

Awesome, the videos up to watch.

That's me watching this while I work this morning.

Huh?? why can't I make this full screen? QT????!!?!?

Sofo

I don't quite understand the deal with iMacs. I was hoping they'd be announcing new ones now? What's the common knowledge about this? I'd say they're in for a refresh very soon, but seeing now the whole boom with the new Pro, feels like it'd saturate the market?

I don't know, someone enlighten me, please.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the new macbook pro looks nice, especially if the retina display is as good as it says. but its really just an evolution of the actual design. Externally it looks identical other than the thickness, and that will mostly have come from removing the ODD and HDD. I realise the previous MBP was pretty much perfect and beautiful, but still.

Cannily, Apple have priced the retina version close enough to the standard version that you can't help considering it if you're in the market for a MBP. The SSD helps even more to bridge that price gap if you price up an SSD upgrade for the standard model.

I'm curious how the screen resolution works. Desktop icons and text etc all seem to be the same size as on a 15" MBP with a 1440x900 screen, but things like aperture and final cut seem to use the native resolution for graphical elements which is interesting

JayDub

I wonder, is the faint sleep light still on the retina MBP? It wasn't on the wedge MBA (was on the first gen MBA) though. What about the battery life lights?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The 13" Air is the better choice for most anyone, I'd say. For me, I haven't see any point with the 13" MBP since the 13" was introduced.

same. Unless you burn a ton of DVDs, I can't see any reason to buy a 13" MBP.

13" Macbook air is the same price
- is thinner
- is lighter
- is faster in day to day use (slightly slower CPU more than offset by much faster SSD)
- has a higher resolution (1440x900 same as 15" MBP). This is the killer for me. 1280x800 is horrible on the 13" MBP. Full screen mode and hiding the dock helps but its not ideal

VNZ

Isn't the mbp 13" much better for stuff like videonediting? More storage and better graphic card(?)
The 13" MBP has the same Intel HD4000 chip as the 13" Air (only the 15" MBP comes with discrete gpu). As for storage, I don't know. If you need loads of fast storage, an external HDD (preferably RAID) is what you want. For the internal, speed (=SSD) is better than the space advantage of an old mechanical HDD.

And maybe most importantly; for video editing the ancient 1280x800 screen of the 13" MBP is absolutely useless. So yeah, there's really no point with that machine anymore, I can't believe they still sell it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Isn't the mbp 13" much better for stuff like videonediting? More storage and better graphic card(?)

same integrated graphics (HD4000 so actually not bad)

storage is 128GB on the base MBA, 500GB on the MBP. TBH if you're video editing you shouldn't be storing everything on your OS drive anyway. And the SSD will benefit you by making the app more responsive.

Will there be any way to buy ML on disc?

I plan on passing on my MB to family, so I don't want the OS tied to my Apple ID (I sure as heck ain't leaving it logged in!).

MBP Retina just got 2-3 weeks delivery time. Good that I placed an order yesterday.
Good that I waited. Kinks will be fixed by then.
Also found my company has an epp. Looking forward to save $20!
Also also: apple care with retina MBP? Y/N?

glaurung

Diablo III at retina resolution is... is probably going to give me convulsions and permanent brain damage.

I need screenshots of retina Diablo.

rozay

Banned
Their image of Diablo 3 had 27 fps listed, and that's one of the least demanding areas in the game. Not that encouraging :/

123rl

I need to sell my 13" mbp. It's only six months old but the Retina MacBook is the new sexy. What a phenomenal machine!

glaurung

The 15" retina display machine has to be bought later this year. I would gladly get it right now, but the local stores won't have it in stock for another month, then there's the normal waiting line until all the hipster Apple fanatics get theirs and then maybe somewhere late August, early September, I might get it.

Plus I am poor as fuck.

I suppose most of modern web looks ugly as sin at that resolution (scaled JPEGs).

FerranMG

RE Macbook Airs, have they gone up in price?

I think I bought mine last year for 1500€ (13'' and 256 GB), and I'm seeing the new one is up for 1550€. :/

The 13" MBP has the same Intel HD4000 chip as the 13" Air (only the 15" MBP comes with discrete gpu). As for storage, I don't know. If you need loads of fast storage, an external HDD (preferably RAID) is what you want. For the internal, speed (=SSD) is better than the space advantage of an old mechanical HDD.

And maybe most importantly; for video editing the ancient 1280x800 screen of the 13" MBP is absolutely useless. So yeah, there's really no point with that machine anymore, I can't believe they still sell it.
Without checking, this is probably not true. There's a high chance that the Airs have a lower clocked Ivy Bridge class GPU.

giga

Hmm, does this mean that if I wanted to, I could run OS X at the display's native resolution?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5998/macbook-pro-retina-display-analysis

The highest setting makes it look like a 1920x1200 resolution, but it's actually being rendered at twice that and then fitting it to the display. 3840x2400. Crazy.

http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/2078/Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 4.36.07 PM.png

Even at the non-integer scaled 1680 x 1050 setting, the Retina Display looks a lot better than last year's high-res panel. It looks like Apple actually renders the screen at twice the selected resolution before scaling it to fit the 2880 x 1800 panel (in other words, at 1920 x 1200 Apple is rendering everything at 3840 x 2400 (!) before scaling - this is likely where the perf impact is seen, but I'm trying to find a way to quantify that now). Everything just looks better. I also appreciate how quick it is to switch between resolutions on OS X. When I'm doing a lot of work I prefer the 1920 x 1200 setting, but if I'm in content consumption mode I find myself happier at 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050.

Also…

LCfiner

I gotta check out one of these screens at the apple store next week.

I wonder how long till the 27" iMac gets the retina treatment... Hmmmm... Maybe a spec bump later this summer and the retina display next year? I can wait.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The 13" MBA...would you be able to do light gaming on it?

Diablo 3?

Seriously, if your intent is to play videogames, just skip the air.

It might run Diablo somewhat decently at lowest settings, but all the while being blistering hot and fans blowing like crazy. Really not a pleasant gaming experience in any way.

RBH

what kind of difference will the processor make?

2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
vs
2,6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Prozessor
vs
2,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Prozessor

seems a very steep price step for little gain on first glance...
I need help, as I want to order ^^

There's really no need to pay the extra money for 2.6 or 2.7 given that the difference won't be that significant at all imo. Just stick with 2.3.

what kind of difference will the processor make?

2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
vs
2,6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Prozessor
vs
2,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Prozessor

seems a very steep price step for little gain on first glance...
I need help, as I want to order ^^

NONE. Seriously, it will make no noticable difference what so ever.

Even 8gb of ram is more than adequate for 99.99% of what people do. And 256gb is plenty of storage for the OS and all your software. If you need to store pictures and what not, just buy a third party 3tb external drive or 1.5tb 2.5mm portable external drive to store those.

I think the base $2199 Macbook Pro with Retina Display is the one to get unless you have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket.

well im definately going with 16gb of ram, as i do alot of memory heavy programming/simulating.

the mean thing is the 2.3 one doesnt come with an option of 500GB SSD :-/

Tobor

I gotta check out one of these screens at the apple store next week.

I wonder how long till the 27" iMac gets the retina treatment... Hmmmm... Maybe a spec bump later this summer and the retina display next year? I can wait.

That's what I think.

Zutroy

Bit of a dilemma gaf, looking for advice.

I'm wanting to buy my Mac on my credit card. This way you get the extra protection and stuff.

My credit card limit £1500, my total price is £1528. What are the consequences on my credit report for going over once? I'm aware that I'll get a £12 fee.

I was gonna buy it on two cards at a store but then I found out you get an extra 2 years warranty when purchasing using the HE discount online, plus £50 quidco.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The whole "iMac = AppleTV" thing has me a bit intrigued. I'm not entirely sure what benefit doing that adds if the unit itself doesn't have a massive screen...but the iMac being absent from an update seems off to me.

Maybe it's just not ready for Retinas. Maybe they're doing another total redesign.

What would a next-generation iMac be?

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
My credit card limit £1500, my total price is £1528. I phoned the bank but because I've used my card once in 6 months they can't increase the limit. What are the consequences on my credit report for going over once? I'm aware that I'll get a £12 fee.

Why not make a payment to your card provider first, e.g. £50, putting your balance into credit?

Tobor

The whole "iMac = AppleTV" thing has me a bit intrigued. I'm not entirely sure what benefit doing that adds if the unit itself doesn't have a massive screen...but the iMac being absent from an update seems off to me.

Maybe it's just not ready for Retinas. Maybe they're doing another total redesign.

What would a next-generation iMac be?

I wouldn't read any more into it than the bolded. It's going to be a slow transition, that's all.

It took them a year to transition the entire product line to intel, this may take as long or longer.

Top Bottom