• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Can anyone recommend some good Mac Air cases/covers? Something that fits around the computer at all times? I feel like looking for something like that has been a crapshoot.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can anyone recommend some good Mac Air cases/covers? Something that fits around the computer at all times? I feel like looking for something like that has been a crapshoot.

IIRC you haven't actually used your Air yet, correct?

You might want to try using it for a week or two before you decide you need a case or cover. I mean, I transport mine in my laptop bag most of the time, but I can't imagine any scenario where I'd want or need a case or cover. I'm not saying this to be unhelpful, obviously if you want it, you want it.

It's actually exceedingly easy to carry and it's got a great grip thanks to the tapered shape.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I wouldn't read any more into it than the bolded. It's going to be a slow transition, that's all.

It took them a year to transition the entire product line to intel, this may take as long or longer.

True, but if the next iMac is a year away still I would have suspected that it'd get a modest spec-bump like the other existing models did and then overhauled in the next rev or something.

We're not going to end this year without a new iMac (I wouldn't think). Is the desktop-class components available not that compelling like the Ivy-Bridge Intel CPUs or something like that right now?

By going Retina with the MBP, I suspect any new revision of devices should have Retina...but at 27" we're talking a resolution of 5120 x 2880! Almost 15 million pixels! FUCKING BONKERS!

Rootbeer

Banned
Their image of Diablo 3 had 27 fps listed, and that's one of the least demanding areas in the game. Not that encouraging :/
I agree, but you can lower the res. I wish they would have done more games testing at 1/2 res. it should still look great on that screen.
As a MBP owner for a couple years though, I've simply accepted that Apple doesn't care about core gaming on their platform. It's been that way since forever. You've got Valve, Blizzard, a few other standouts like Civilization, indie developers, and the other mac games are usually ported by third parties and have very iffy performance. It's not a wasteland but it's still disappointing if you are used to PC gaming

But hey, it's got Angry Birds. That's right... play Angry Birds on that $3000 MBP Retina... Mmmm. Worth every penny

You might want to try using it for a week or two before you decide you need a case or cover. I mean, I transport mine in my laptop bag most of the time, but I can't imagine any scenario where I'd want or need a case or cover. I'm not saying this to be unhelpful, obviously if you want it, you want it.

It's actually exceedingly easy to carry and it's got a great grip thanks to the tapered shape.

Agree with this completely except I did purchase a sleeve for mine at the Apple Store for when I travel and just throw my Air into my backpack. Otherwise it's great without a sleeve and fits so nicely into a laptop bag.

Tobor

True, but if the next iMac is a year away still I would have suspected that it'd get a modest spec-bump like the other existing models did and then overhauled in the next rev or something.

We're not going to end this year without a new iMac (I wouldn't think). Is the desktop-class components available not that compelling like the Ivy-Bridge Intel CPUs or something like that right now?

By going Retina with the MBP, I suspect any new revision of devices should have Retina...but at 27" we're talking a resolution of 5120 x 2880! Almost 15 million pixels! FUCKING BONKERS!

We could still get a spec bump later this summer. They don't have to turn over the entire line on one day.

RubxQub

We could still get a spec bump later this summer. They don't have to turn over the entire line on one day.

Oh I know, I'm just saying that I'd be shocked if the next iMac actually was Retina given the resolutions it'd need to run to do it...but Apple is increasingly setting the expectation that Retina is going across all products.

Perhaps we'll see an iMac + iMac w/Retina like we did with the MBP line, but a Retina iMac seems so far off to me.

Just speculating that I don't think the next iMac will be Retina, but I don't see the next update just being another spec bump given all the pomp around the Next-Gen MBP. Perhaps I'm just reading too much into it and the next iMac will just be a bump sometime later this year, but I feel like there would more to it than that.

TCooks told me to dream big this year, damnit!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Havent used one yet, but I'll definitely wait on a case now. Thanks Stump!

$h@d0w

I'm watching the rerun of this and I can't help thinking the Retina MacBook reveal could have been so much better.

Phil Schiller didn't do a bad job, but Steve Jobs would have milked every single moment of suspense.

SeanR1221

Argh, help me Mac gaf. I have multiple options here.

Hold onto my base MBA (2gb ram, 64gb HDD lol) until next year, hope the airs get retina. I admit my air gives me no issues now.

Sell the air and get a 13" MBA, upgrade to 8gb of ram. Cry if retinas hit next year.

I'm leaning towards hold on. Especially since I just got the iPad and I'll be upgrading my iPhone 4 in the fall. Oh yeah and that mortgage thing I just took on.

Tobor

Hold onto my base MBA (2gb ram, 64gb HDD lol) until next year, hope the airs get retina. I admit my air gives me no issues now.

Sell the air and get a 13" MBA, upgrade to 8gb of ram. Cry if retinas hit next year.

I'm leaning towards hold on. Especially since I just got the iPad and I'll be upgrading my iPhone 4 in the fall. Oh yeah and that mortgage thing I just took on.

Wait until next year.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

This is the very definition of first-world problems.

anyway, just wait if you don't need something. It's only going to get better next year.

Without checking, this is probably not true. There's a high chance that the Airs have a lower clocked Ivy Bridge class GPU.

Rummaged up the clock speed info from Anandtech.

2011 MacBook Air GPU: 350MHz/1.2GHz
2011 MacBook Pro GPU: 650MHz/1.2GHz (1.3GHz if you have the i7)

It seems that at idle or battery mode the Pro has a faster GPU, but plugged in, both systems should have roughly identical graphics performance (the Pro would win out thanks to a faster CPU, however) There are no specific clockspeed numbers for the HD4000 systems yet but it's not a stretch to think they will be similar.

Stumpokapow said:

This. Really doesn't need a cover. If you're ever in a situation of unsure footing it's so small to fit in most backpacks or bags anyway.

Oh I know, I'm just saying that I'd be shocked if the next iMac actually was Retina given the resolutions it'd need to run to do it...but Apple is increasingly setting the expectation that Retina is going across all products.

I think the problem right now for the desktop line is sourcing parts. So far Apple has exactly one screen to produce at Retina IPS, and it's only 15" so yield is going to be high. Getting Retina panels with sufficient yield for the iMac (21"/27") when they are already slamming so many factories in China with work orders is probably something that takes some time to ramp up...especially when it's only secondary business compared to the iPad, iPhone, and MacBook.

RubxQub

I'm watching the rerun of this and I can't help thinking the Retina MacBook reveal could have been so much better.

Phil Schiller didn't do a bad job, but Steve Jobs would have milked every single moment of suspense.

The picture of a new macbook with a cover on it sent bitches into a frenzy. "OHHH SHIT!!!"

But that was all the buzz, no Schiller'ing to egg the audience on really. Bleh! Hair Force One would have even done a better job.

I seriously wonder why they don't ever trot Ives out on stage. I think it's cause I read he doesn't like it...but damnit I want him up there! I don't give a shit about Schiller! He's boooring! Anyone who says otherwise is settling for a false-Jobs!

Hell...TCooks would be better!

Speaking of, TCooks looks really shaken at the end of the conference. I couldn't tell if he was emotionally moved, or if he just got lost for a second....but it was a very noticeable beat where he just froze up.

...and that feel-good video was awesome. Hard not to melt a bit when you see shit like that.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Why would the Airs get retina next year?

The 13" MBP will be next in line, hence why they deliberately didn't bump up the res on the screen to match the 13" Air.

Cheebo

Banned
They are Going to want to keep something special about the pros to make then different in obvious ways from the "cheap" entry level airs. At least till retina displays are a lot cheaper to produce. I see the 13 pro getting retina next year and probably iMac. I suspect it'll be at least another year for MacBook air.

The new MBA is fantastic, double the max ram, way better CPU and GPU. If you are considering one now is the best time to jump. Retina could be 2 years+ off.

Ambitious

NONE. Seriously, it will make no noticable difference what so ever.

Even 8gb of ram is more than adequate for 99.99% of what people do. And 256gb is plenty of storage for the OS and all your software. If you need to store pictures and what not, just buy a third party 3tb external drive or 1.5tb 2.5mm portable external drive to store those.

I think the base $2199 Macbook Pro with Retina Display is the one to get unless you have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket.

Thought about getting the 2.3GHZ/16GB/256GB model, but I wonder if the 16GB are worth the money. I'm a developer (coding, no 3D stuff) and I'm often using a big bunch of apps together, but usually the performance is okay (got 4GB RAM). Except if one or two of them are really resource-hungry, like Eclipse sometimes is. So 8GB should be enough, I guess?
What about gaming? I haven't played PC/Mac games for a long while, since my current MBP ist just too weak, but I think I'd start playing again with the new one. Would the 2.6 GHZ CPU make a noticable difference concerning gaming?

A colleague of mine ordered the 2.6GHZ/16GB/512GB model just after the store went up.. "just to be on the safe side and future-proof", he said.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

how old is your MBA? If its pre-sandy bridge, I'd be tempted to update now. They're a lot faster and the standard RAM/SSD is bigger too.

Not sure there are necessarily any guarantees of retina next year. They might choose to keep the airs as the compact consumer laptop, and retina might need larger batteries or discrete GPU to drive it.

njean777

same. Unless you burn a ton of DVDs, I can't see any reason to buy a 13" MBP.

13" Macbook air is the same price
- is thinner
- is lighter
- is faster in day to day use (slightly slower CPU more than offset by much faster SSD)
- has a higher resolution (1440x900 same as 15" MBP). This is the killer for me. 1280x800 is horrible on the 13" MBP. Full screen mode and hiding the dock helps but its not ideal

The reason to buy a pro is because you can upgrade everything yourself and not pay the ridiculous prices apple charges for Ram/SSD's. I can have 2 HD's in the pro while air users have one, I can have 16gb of Ram while the Air users are only able to have 8gb max. Also if my fans or anything mess up I can open it up and not worry about voiding the warranty. The processors are faster then the air is also. All in all the Pro is better for college students that want the most bang for their buck, the air is great but without being able to upgrade anything yourself you have to pay the overpriced values that apple charges for bigger HD's and more Ram.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The reason to buy a pro is because you can upgrade everything yourself and not pay the ridiculous prices apple charges for Ram/SSD's. I can have 2 HD's in the pro while air users have one, I can have 16gb of Ram while the Air users are only able to have 8gb max. Also if my fans or anything mess up I can open it up and not worry about voiding the warranty. The processors are faster then the air is also. All in all the Pro is better for college students that want the most bang for their buck, the air is great but without being able to upgrade anything yourself you have to pay the overpriced values that apple charges for bigger HD's and more Ram.

All depends on the needs of the end user. I switched from a 2009 MBP to the 2011 Airs, and it was a great transition. There are a lot of people who simply have no need for multiple HDD's or 16 GB's of ram for a everyday laptop.
The Air is incredibly fast, has a better display, is lightweight and it has a very small profile. Currently, I vastly prefer those features over any theoretical speed increase that I won't ever notice because I don't play games or edit video for a living.

Your talking about the old pro's right? Can't upgrade the new models.

njean777

All depends on the needs of the end user. I switched from a 2009 MBP to the 2011 Airs, and it was a great transition. There are a lot of people who simply have no need for multiple HDD's or 16 GB's of ram for a everyday laptop.
The Air is incredibly fast, has a better display, is lightweight and it has a very small profile. Currently, I vastly prefer those features over any theoretical speed increase that I won't ever notice because I don't play games or edit video for a living.

Thats fine that you will not, but if you want the best specs for your money the air is not the way to go. That was all I was saying. I like portable computers as I need one for school, but 4.5 lbs is not a deal breaker at all. The airs weak internals bother me more then the weight issue right now. The lack of being able to tinker or upgrade anything without voiding the warranty also is not something I like either. I had a 13in air before I returned it for the pro, the HD size and the slower cpu were not worth the money imo.

Your talking about the old pro's right? Can't upgrade the new models.

Yeah, not the retina I wouldn't buy that thing ever. The price is to outrageous right now and for somebody that plays games occasionally on my laptop I would not want to have that high of a resolution with that mobile GPU. Funny thing about the press conference is that they showed Diablo 3 on the retina, but I really want to know how well it runs at full native res. Anandtech did a benchmark already and it ran at 20fps in native res that is laughable imo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

in a 13" 1280x800 laptop? Your description sounds more pro than those consumers are likely to need.

njean777

in a 13" 1280x800 laptop? Your description sounds more pro than those consumers are likely to need.

Well if you want a higher res then just connect it to a monitor, if I am on the go I really am not that concerned about resolution. I just personally do not care what resolution a thing is at. As long as the computer can get the work done and is reasonably priced with the ability for me to upgrade at my own leisure then I will take it over any computer that is all proprietary parts.

Nibel

I think I'll get the new 13" Macbook Pro withou Retina and will upgrade it myself with a SSD and 8GB Ram :) It's the best solution right now and I'm pretty hyped to get a Mac OS system, pretty cool!

JackEtc

My order is still listed as "Awaiting action" like it was last night....Whogie said he called and they said its nothing but I can't help but worry...*sigh*

EDIT: Called, they said it was a mistake, it's fixed now.

LProtag

I need to figure out how I could justify getting the new 15-inch retina as a student for one more year.

I've got a 2009 13-inch which has a 2.26 Intel Core 2 Duo and a really terrible graphics card. It's out of warranty and it's just quite slow now. I only use a laptop and don't plan on having any other computer, as I can do pretty much everything I want with one. I would however, like to play a few games on bootcamp, something I did for a little bit on this laptop until it got too outdated.

Now, I realize this jump would be a pretty huge one in specs for me which makes it sound worth it. I was already considering the low end 15 inch, but the retina is only 300 more...

I have money available, it's just part of my savings that I was going to use as a nest egg. I would really like a new laptop for school though. Also I assume these specs will last me for quite a while.

Eh, I dunno.

I'm warming up to the idea of the new macbook pros after the suggestion of using an external dock/thunderbolt display to give me all the ports I need (naturally I'd be pissed off if they removed them from the thunderbolt display line), but I'm still not sold on using flash storage as the main storage medium on the macbook pros.

They champion the benefits of using it with photography and video editing purposes but the constant rewriting of massive files will wear out the drives fairly rapidly.

edgefusion

Has anyone noticed this yet?

sharing_hero.jpg

The bookmarks bar and the tab bar are all on the same line. This has to be just an error right?

EDIT: Silly me that's what it looks like when you have no tabs open. Ignore me!

MrMephistoX

How is Diablo 3's performance on one of the new Macbook Airs? I have the 21" imac from last year's revision and it runs things well enough for me: can I expect comparable performance?

RubxQub

How is Diablo 3's performance on one of the new Macbook Airs? I have the 21" imac from last year's revision and it runs things well enough for me: can I expect comparable performance?

Not even close... discrete graphics on the iMac vs. integrated graphics on the Macbook Air.

I need more analysis of the screen.

I need the whole Adobe RGB analysis, and compared to the HP Elitebook DreamColor 2 display and the Dell Precision display. Those two, as far as I am aware, are the gold standard for laptop IPS displays.

njean777

I need to figure out how I could justify getting the new 15-inch retina as a student for one more year.

I've got a 2009 13-inch which has a 2.26 Intel Core 2 Duo and a really terrible graphics card. It's out of warranty and it's just quite slow now. I only use a laptop and don't plan on having any other computer, as I can do pretty much everything I want with one. I would however, like to play a few games on bootcamp, something I did for a little bit on this laptop until it got too outdated.

Now, I realize this jump would be a pretty huge one in specs for me which makes it sound worth it. I was already considering the low end 15 inch, but the retina is only 300 more...

I have money available, it's just part of my savings that I was going to use as a nest egg. I would really like a new laptop for school though. Also I assume these specs will last me for quite a while.

Eh, I dunno.

To be honest if you want games, Retina is not the way to go. That GPU will not be able to run games well at native res.

Appleman

for somebody that plays games occasionally on my laptop I would not want to have that high of a resolution with that mobile GPU.

Just run the game at a lower resolution like you'd have to anyway with a lower res screen?

I'm really excited about this update, and am debating upgrading my original unibody Late 08' MBP (which actually cost significantly more than this new one when I bought it).

This year or next year, this year or next year....

Enco

To be honest after this update I would only recommend the 13" Air or 15" Retina Pro.

They're two great devices and trump all the other options.

MrMephistoX

Not even close... discrete graphics on the iMac vs. integrated graphics on the Macbook Air.

How about on the 15 inch pro without the retina display? If it's still garbage I'll probably just grab an air for school then wait with bated breath for an iMac update and sell it then.

Appleman

To be honest after this update I would only recommend the 13" Air or 15" Retina Pro.

They're two great devices and trump all the other options.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

MG Siegler hit the nail on the head...

A more fair comparison is the 15-inch entry-level Pro versus the entry-level Retina Pro. Here the price difference is only $400.

That's still a lot of money, but with it, you get the incredible screen upgrade, a substantially slimmer and lighter machine, a much faster (though smaller capacity) hard drive, twice the amount of RAM, and twice the amount of video RAM. It's a good deal.

Sure, you lose an optical drive, but that's meaningless — they're all but dead at this point. In my mind, the 15-inch Retina MBP versus the 15-inch non-Retina MBP is a no-brainer.

Likewise, on the other end of the spectrum, the 13-inch MacBook Pro models versus the 13-inch MacBook Air models also seem like a no-brainer in favor of the Air. The two models of each are perfectly aligned in price. With the Pros, you get faster chips. But with the Airs, you get significantly thinner and lighter machines with much faster flash hard drives. And the screen is actually higher resolution on the Air.

Again, it's a no-brainer for most consumers. Go with the Air in that situation.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't feel like the Air is powerful enough for me.. I want to play be able to play Diablo 3, and I think this should be possible on the Pro, right?
Diablo 3 on low level settings ran on last years air. Should be absolutely no problem on a 2012 air. Blizzard has always been really good with maxing apple hardware.

Obviously if you want to max the settings and go all out you'll need a pro though.

The Lamp

Wow, the Macbook Pro has some impressive specs (I can't believe I'm saying that). Still costs way too much though.

iOS 6 coming in the fall means I'll hold off on my phone upgrade until the fall, however. They're bound to announce the new iPhone then :)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
NONE. Seriously, it will make no noticable difference what so ever.

Even 8gb of ram is more than adequate for 99.99% of what people do. And 256gb is plenty of storage for the OS and all your software. If you need to store pictures and what not, just buy a third party 3tb external drive or 1.5tb 2.5mm portable external drive to store those.

I think the base $2199 Macbook Pro with Retina Display is the one to get unless you have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket.

The paranoid in me thinks this is why they don't offer SSD upgrades on the base laptop.

Since, there's no reason not to.

coldfoot

Banned
Rummaged up the clock speed info from Anandtech.

2011 MacBook Air GPU: 350MHz/1.2GHz
2011 MacBook Pro GPU: 650MHz/1.2GHz (1.3GHz if you have the i7)

It seems that at idle or battery mode the Pro has a faster GPU, but plugged in, both systems should have roughly identical graphics performance (the Pro would win out thanks to a faster CPU, however)
True, unless the MBA CPU/GPU is throttled due to excessive heat and poor heat disspiation.

Top Bottom