• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just don't see why they don't give us the option to enable them even if it's a terminal command. I kind of resent having to use Glims for something so basic.
Glims does a lot more. But yeah, I'd use it even if I only wanted tab icons. When I use Safari without them I forget how much I NEED icons in the tabs. I mean it's only common sense to make it easy for you to tell what a tab has at a glance. NeoGAF icon? YouTube icon? Extremely recognizable. As long as Glims keeps being updated I'll be happy.

Needs more features though.

EmiPrime

Glims does a lot more. But yeah, I'd use it even if I only wanted tab icons. When I use Safari without them I forget how much I NEED icons in the tabs. I mean it's only common sense to make it easy for you to tell what a tab has at a glance. NeoGAF icon? YouTube icon? Extremely recognizable. As long as Glims keeps being updated I'll be happy.

Needs more features though.

I guess I am just tired of having to install hacks to get Safari to where it should be: first Saft then Glims. I had hoped we'd be beyond this by now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I guess I am just tired of having to install hacks to get Safari to where it should be: first Saft then Glims. I had hoped we'd be beyond this by now.
I don't see Glims adding features any different than using extensions. Same thing. The only difference is Glims digs itself into the browser to enable things extensions can't.

Safari will always be more simple. And every browser has different features. If there are things that can be added in order to make the experience better, use them. I would never got back to Chrome, even with Safari's limitations it's still much better to me.

hypotc

I haven't had the chance to try this, but XMBC allows you to have it act as a AirPlay receiver. So if you have an iPhone/iPad you can send it to XMBC.

Of course, if you don't have either you're out of luck unless you find someone streaming the livestream.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

edit: Getting an error trying to watch last years keynote through XBMC airplay, same with AirServer. Looks like I have to wait for Apple to put it out after the live event. :\

Blackhead

Redarse
Wait I've never heard of glims before -- what is it?
it's like extensions. Except different. But it's the same. Um... this explains it better:
I don't see Glims adding features (i.e. safari crashes and kernel panics) any different than using extensions. Same thing. The only difference is Glims digs itself into the browser OS to enable things extensions can't.

Edit: I'm skeptical of this rumor but Abed predicted it
This is the new OSX. This photo was taken at Apple headquarters in Cupertino :D
ZDDPtD0.jpg

Fuchsdh

Not that it looks out of the realm of possibility, but here's a quick reason to call bullshit--why is it using the Mavericks wallpaper?

(Also I really hope we can flip a pref like before and make the dock 3D. I always preferred that.)

Quick

Banned
Not that it looks out of the realm of possibility, but here's a quick reason to call bullshit--why is it using the Mavericks wallpaper?

(Also I really hope we can flip a pref like before and make the dock 3D. I always preferred that.)

Beta operating systems have used previous OS's wallpapers in the past. It's not uncommon.

Fuchsdh

The fact that none of the icons have been redesigned... I dunno.
Well iWork and iLife 2013 were designed post-Forstall. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume they'll remain more ornate.

It'll be interesting to see if Mac developers would even budge on shifting to a line art style even if Apple did though. You're going to risk turning your icon into something incredibly generic looking.

"old" is obviously a subjective judgment. In general Apple does pretty well supporting older machines except when processor architecture or on-dye features (Airplay mirroring relying on some intel feature being one example). I think 10.10 will probably install fine to most machines that could install Lion.

Right. And there hasn't been one of those for a while. If there was any reason to drop support for older models these days, it would almost have to be something like dropping support for legacy OpenGL or OpenCL or something.

Two Words

So are these "lol" responses and pictures because Apple managed to let it leak right under their noses or because it's obviously fake?

giga

So are these "lol" responses and pictures because Apple managed to let it leak right under their noses or because it's obviously fake?
The latter. The new iPhone will launch with iOS 8. And iOS 8 won't release for another few months.

Konka

Banned
Well iWork and iLife 2013 were designed post-Forstall. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume they'll remain more ornate.

It'll be interesting to see if Mac developers would even budge on shifting to a line art style even if Apple did though. You're going to risk turning your icon into something incredibly generic looking.

It looks exactly the same as Mavericks...

Majine

Banned
The problem with adding the iOS7 style to the Mac is that there is no way third party applications will actually follow it, so it will always, til the end of time, look disjointed.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
No that I don't expect OSX to look similar to that image, I do think it's fake. I think that's probably close... but not quite right. Unless it's an early leak.

Curious how they'll implement the dock, like others have said. The big players would follow along with flat icon updates - apple, ms, adobe... But more niche software or older things will never see updates; and so it'll be disjointed forever.

Majine

Banned
The thing I hope they atleast do (and that most mock-ups seem to miss out) is remove that Early 00's-style top bar and replace it with the iOS7-style one that is simply no bar, and it manages the color on the text to give appropriate contrast to the background.

Iacobellis

it's like extensions. Except different. But it's the same. Um... this explains it better:

It looks like 10.9 with a new Notification Center. I'm calling fake. The System Prefs window looks flat a little, but why would the app icons remain 3D?

Is Macbook Pro 15 Retina Base model Late 2013 worth getting for $1500?

Im getting it from a friend. The laptop has 25 cycles in battery.

ZDDPtD0.jpg

Ehh, I kinda doubt it. Literally all that's new here is the Notification Center and the rest is basically the (superior) side-dock look ported to the bottom of the screen.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see new chrome on general UI stuff, not just peripheral changes, and that'd show up even if new app icons aren't in place in this early build.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
To me Safari suffers from not being a priority for Apple, which is weird because they're a company whose stated MO is to only do things that are priorities. Lots of people choose Safari, and it has benefits, but it's not by and large a competitive product--mostly feature updates play catchup, the lack of rich extension support is clearly increasingly at odds with how even very entry level users use browsers. I just can't help but feel that if Apple took Safari as seriously as Google took Chrome, it'd be a substantially better product. Mobile Safari is still pretty best-of-breed among mobile browsers so I don't feel like they have the same problem there.

Skunkers

The thing I hope they atleast do (and that most mock-ups seem to miss out) is remove that Early 00's-style top bar and replace it with the iOS7-style one that is simply no bar, and it manages the color on the text to give appropriate contrast to the background.

Good idea at first glance, but then you realize with a full-size window open, you'd just have a jarring background-colored bar if you had a background any color but white. I would think that's out.

Two Words

To me Safari suffers from not being a priority for Apple, which is weird because they're a company whose stated MO is to only do things that are priorities. Lots of people choose Safari, and it has benefits, but it's not by and large a competitive product--mostly feature updates play catchup, the lack of rich extension support is clearly increasingly at odds with how even very entry level users use browsers. I just can't help but feel that if Apple took Safari as seriously as Google took Chrome, it'd be a substantially better product. Mobile Safari is still pretty best-of-breed among mobile browsers so I don't feel like they have the same problem there.

Is there anything in Chrome that can duplicate the "Reader" functionality of Safari? There is no way to read articles on the net better than that, and I especially love how it stitches multiple page articles together.

Majine

Banned
I signed up recently for testing out OSX betas, wonder if that'll apply for a OSX 10.10 Beta on monday or something.

It looks like 10.9 with a new Notification Center. I'm calling fake. The System Prefs window looks flat a little, but why would the app icons remain 3D?

Because Apple isn't really consistent in their app icons. I mean look at the Game Center app:

iOS_GameCenter-300x154.png

Why are the bubbles glossy and 3D when none of the other icons are glossy and 3D?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is Macbook Pro 15 Retina Base model Late 2013 worth getting for $1500?

Im getting it from a friend. The laptop has 25 cycles in battery.
If it has the dedicated graphics card, I would say yes.
It doesn't. If you want a dGPU, it's gonna cost a lot more. A base model 15" only has Iris Pro. (Your friend would have needed to spend $2600 to get that model. I doubt he'd be reselling it for $1100 less this early.)

However, a base model 15" does cost $2000. So that is a $500 discount. And it's still under warranty and can still be applied with AppleCare.

If they ditch the 3D dock, we riot.
I don't get this. When Mavericks came out and disabled the ability to turn the bottom Dock 2D, people complained all to hell.
Now everyone's complaining about the chance of a 3D option being removed, which as someone said is highly possible since the OS is rumored to be flattened all to heck so... #ThisIsNeoGAF

Dude. I've been using Glims since Mavericks came out and haven't had Safari crash or Mavericks Kernel Panic ONCE yet. Seriously. Glims is amazing. People need to stop spreading FUD. This isn't the Unsanity APE Haxies days anymore. (Which also never caused me any problems back then either.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there anything in Chrome that can duplicate the "Reader" functionality of Safari? There is no way to read articles on the net better than that, and I especially love how it stitches multiple page articles together.

Readability extension + Readability.com (Readability pre-dates Safari Reader). Apple also literally used some of Readability's code to make Safari Reader.

i am ok if they don't redesign the icons in x.x that shit is jarring, been looking at the same icons since leopard, I don't like change. I do like having notification center with widgets, i want tweetbot to go there so i don't have to split a portion of my screen to it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If that sidebar pictured is real, I'd rather it didn't merge with the NC and was its own panel. But it looks like it would probably be exactly the same as iOS with tabs at the top.

Hopefully each individual "widget" area is toggle able and it's open enough that developers can add their own there, even if you have to force your way in. Actually, as long as I have nice looking weather there I don't need anything else aside from when I am scheduled to work again. Also a clock. Right now I just have a custom Bowtie bowlet on my desktop that I can check by swiping up into MC and back down when I need to check the time. But having it under that date would be really useful and probably easier.

Also, I hope they made it so the NC icon in the menubar changes color when there are unread notifications. It's stupid that they removed that.

Top Bottom