• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Maybe give you the forecast for the week like it used to. Hell, at least for tomorrow.
I can look outside for the weather.
Half the time it doesn't even give you the current temperature, but just tells you something like "It's partly cloudy outside, the high for today will be 65". It's bafflingly useless.

Bo6X1rRCMAAAMz4.jpg

dorkimoe

my only wishlist for the new iphone is bigger screen. Happy with everything else

IOS 8 on the other hand..would love to see another overhaul

Two Words

Widgets should be added to the notification center and work like apps. They should be downloadable and added to the notification center as pins.

9to5Mac has a roundup of WWDC rumors with some new details. It's a long article, worth a look:
http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/30/wwdc-...d-os-x-10-10-fresh-hardware-plus-new-details/

iOS 8

Unfortunately, while Apple has been working on several new features for iOS 8, several sources say that some of the new enhancements are running behind and may not be introduced at WWDC or shipped until next year. Sources also say that Apple is only finalizing which features make the cut for the first iOS 8 beta tomorrow (just two days before the keynote).

Maps
In addition to more reliable and plentiful data, the updated app is said to include tweaked cartography, clearer labeling, and improved notation of bus stops, train stations, and airports.

Unfortunately, it does not appear that transit will be ready to ship alongside some of the other iOS 8.0 features. It is highly likely, sources say, that transit could be pushed back to next year. However, an announcement at WWDC is still possible, but unconfirmed.

iPad Multitasking
In addition to allowing for two iPad apps to be used at the same time, the feature is designed to allow for apps to more easily interact, according to the sources. For example, a user may be able to drag content, such as text, video, or images, from one app to another. Apple is said to be developing capabilities for developers to be able to design their apps to interact with each other. This functionality may mean that Apple is finally ready to enable “XPC” support in iOS (or improved inter-app communication), which means that developers could design App Store apps that could share content.

iPad as Mac Display
Sources say that Apple has been testing a new feature for iOS that allows customers to connect an iPad to a Mac for use as an external monitor. Sources warn that the feature may not be ready for iOS 8, but it has definitely been in testing. This functionality is akin to offerings such as AirDisplay on the App Store (picture above by Matt Gemmel). The strategy is part of Apple’s work on iPad split-screen multitasking: differentiating the iPad’s feature-set from the iPhone and making the tablet more productive.

OS X
Apple is keeping iOS as iOS and OS X as OS X. The convergence will solely surround aesthetics and sensible feature parity. Some sources describe the new system as “extremely flat,” but just like with iOS 7, customers will become used to the new look. Some of the more surprising user interface elements, source say, are the use of line-art for some standard system icons like Finder and trash in the dock.

They guess at new OS X features, but nothing certain.

Also, Xcode 6 and maybe new Mac hardware.

Blackhead

Redarse
Pad as Mac Display

Sources say that Apple has been testing a new feature for iOS that allows customers to connect an iPad to a Mac for use as an external monitor. Sources warn that the feature may not be ready for iOS 8, but it has definitely been in testing. This functionality is akin to offerings such as AirDisplay on the App Store (picture above by Matt Gemmel). The strategy is part of Apple’s work on iPad split-screen multitasking: differentiating the iPad’s feature-set from the iPhone and making the tablet more productive.
:O

if Apple implemented this properly, I would buy a bunch of iPads to use as displays for fullscreen OSX apps

Ooo. I could get an iPad rather than a Cintiq. That could be great.

? That would suck. No iPad stylus compares to a Cintiq pen

mollipen

If it really takes until next year to get updates to Maps, that's ridiculous. As a longtime Apple user, I'm not really a fan of the habit they've gotten into where they don't make a lot of major fixes to apps outside of full OS updates (outside of key software like iTunes).

Maps should be something that is CONSTANTLY getting better, not a bunch of updates after a long stretch of time.

KtSlime

If it really takes until next year to get updates to Maps, that's ridiculous. As a longtime Apple user, I'm not really a fan of the habit they've gotten into where they don't make a lot of major fixes to apps outside of full OS updates (outside of key software like iTunes).

Maps should be something that is CONSTANTLY getting better, not a bunch of updates after a long stretch of time.

The maps themselves and POI get updated throughout the year, it's only major new features that only get added once a year. I don't really care if Apple adds transit services, they are likely going to be greatly inferior to the service I pay for, just like Google Maps is.

Blackhead

Redarse
The maps themselves and POI get updated throughout the year, it's only major new features that only get added once a year. I don't really care if Apple adds transit services, they are likely going to be greatly inferior to the service I pay for, just like Google Maps is.

What service is this?

I really hope that the iPad as a second OS X screen rumor is true.

And I wonder how long before the first "Safari feels snappier" joke occurs after the first OS X 10.10 beta is released.

Is there any way to stream the keynote live for people with Windows? Any workarounds maybe?

I haven't had the chance to try this, but XMBC allows you to have it act as a AirPlay receiver. So if you have an iPhone/iPad you can send it to XMBC.

Of course, if you don't have either you're out of luck unless you find someone streaming the livestream.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
9to5Mac has a roundup of WWDC rumors with some new details. It's a long article, worth a look:
http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/30/wwdc-...d-os-x-10-10-fresh-hardware-plus-new-details/

iPad as Mac Display
I paid for AirDisplay when it was on sale and never use it. The lag is too much and I have a perfectly good 20" display I just sit in front of if I need to use a second display, which is 99% of the time being used for video, which if I'm using my iPad for a second display and watching video then I'm going to be using the native apps or browser.

Because of the lag it's unusable for so much. So Apple would have to integrate them so well that there's no lag. Make it so it can use the USB port, even if it requires a new iPad with a faster connector port. Because lag is going to make it unusable for a lot of stuff. As has been seen from AirDisplay.

I'm excited the most for 10.10 and this new look we're hearing so much about. And if iOS 8 will have any GUI tweaks. Monday can't come soon enough.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I assume icons in places like on tabs and bookmarks in the bookmarks bar. Apple keeps them off for cleanliness but it's annoying. At least Glims adds them back to the tabs. It's wonderful and I could never live without them. Glims is amazing. I wish it did more. There's quite a few features it could probably add to make Safari so much better. (Like making Safari remember your zoom settings for each site.)

Shiryu

Neo Member
Less than 3 years is super old now........?

I'll second this...how is pre mid-2011 "super old"?
My MBP mid-2009 is still working perfectly fine with no hiccups, issues or outdated software...

I'm personally looking forward to the new OSX and iOS8 changes...but Apple really needs to get something groundbreaking imo as it hasn't been that overwhelming as of late for me.

Juice

I'll second this...how is pre mid-2011 "super old"?
My MBP mid-2009 is still working perfectly fine with no hiccups, issues or outdated software...

I'm personally looking forward to the new OSX and iOS8 changes...but Apple really needs to get something groundbreaking imo as it hasn't been that overwhelming as of late for me.

"old" is obviously a subjective judgment. In general Apple does pretty well supporting older machines except when processor architecture or on-dye features (Airplay mirroring relying on some intel feature being one example). I think 10.10 will probably install fine to most machines that could install Lion.

Top Bottom