• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

iMax

I signed up recently for testing out OSX betas, wonder if that'll apply for a OSX 10.10 Beta on monday or something.

Are you talking about the public seeding program? Don't expect Syrah to be available there next week. Most likely will be for developers only.

Majine

Banned
Are you talking about the public seeding program? Don't expect Syrah to be available there next week. Most likely will be for developers only.
Aw.

But well, maybe that's for the best. I remember the first iOS7 beta. Man, that was some buggy shit.

Blackhead

Redarse
my first complaint about ios8 is going to be that they show it monday and we get it in september :(

Ha I'm pretty sure half the members of this thread will find some way to get it by Monday (even if Apple doesn't announce some general bets testing program). And their biggest complaint will be how buggy it'll be til September February

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Because Apple isn't really consistent in their app icons. I mean look at the Game Center app:

iOS_GameCenter-300x154.png

Why are the bubbles glossy and 3D when none of the other icons are glossy and 3D?
iOS7 just ruined everything, pretty much.

Two Words

Readability extension + Readability.com (Readability pre-dates Safari Reader). Apple also literally used some of Readability's code to make Safari Reader.
Is it as simple as hitting a button like Safari? Or am I going to have to pipe the site through readability.com?

LeleSocho

Banned

If they actually release for the public seeding program it will be finally the time that i actually back-up my stuff because i really want to use it.

I think icon changes are silly a lot of the times, but one icon I wouldn't mind changing is the "new" (old at this point) iTunes icon, that replaced the iconic CD and music note. Holy heck, did they screw up when they changed that icon to the disgusting circle gradient and music note a few years ago. I also feel like the changing of the icon somewhat contributed to the depreciation of the iTunes brand.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm willing to bet 10.10 will be available to the AppleSeed program in time. Maybe not right away but maybe within a few weeks. Either way, with any new MacOS it'll be buggy as hell for a while so it's a good idea to wait anyway.

Maybe they'll possibly do the same thing for iOS too. Would be neat if on Monday they announced "Available this fall. Developers get them today. AppleSeed members in July/Late June." I'd be surprised if they didn't mention the program in any way.

Phoenix

Aw.

But well, maybe that's for the best. I remember the first iOS7 beta. Man, that was some buggy shit.

LOL, if you thought iOS7 beta was buggy... you missed some of the highlights of being in the iOS beta. iOS7 beta was one of the most stable, non-phone-bricking releases of the software ever.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish that was real. It would mean Apple was super serious about making sure iOS 8 is something else completely.

And wow, "Redmond, Start Your Photocopiers" was 10 years ago? It feels like it only happened a few years ago! WHAT HAVE I DONE WITH MY LIFE?? I remember seeing photos of that on another forum way back when.

iMax

Because Apple isn't really consistent in their app icons. I mean look at the Game Center app:

iOS_GameCenter-300x154.png

Why are the bubbles glossy and 3D when none of the other icons are glossy and 3D?

Another thing that annoys me is the background of the Notes app. Ugh.

linkboy

Even though it won't happen, I'd love to see a 128GB iPod Touch so that I can finally replace my Classic that is starting to die (I've had the thing since 2008), but I won't switch over to a touch until I can get storage space that is (somewhat) comparable.

Blackhead

Redarse
Even though it won't happen, I'd love to see a 128GB iPod Touch so that I can finally replace my Classic that is starting to die (I've had the thing since 2008), but I won't switch over to a touch until I can get storage space that is (somewhat) comparable.

How much would you pay for a 128GB iPod touch?

linkboy

How much would you pay for a 128GB iPod touch?

Which is why it won't happen, it wouldn't be cost effective for Apple to do it (it's one of those things I dream about, but realistically know won't happen). Might look into modding my iPod with either a bigger HDD or a CF\SD adapter when the HDD does bite the dust.

Pachimari

If they introduce Healthbook, will the app even be able to track everything on iPhone 5 and earlier phones?

Don't the 5S have a dedicated chip for steps etc.?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So pumped for 10.10.

I keep bouncing between this thread and Macrumors to see if there are any leaks. My rMBP is ready!

Tomorrow is going to be a very unproductive day at work :-/

If they introduce Healthbook, will the app even be able to track everything on iPhone 5 and earlier phones?

Don't the 5S have a dedicated chip for steps etc.?

There are always, always new iOS features that can only be utilized by the latest hardware. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if HealthBook was iPhone 5S/6 only, with their iWallet app thing being iPhone 6 only due to NFC (rumors).

Fuchsdh

I've got a similar Classic, aside from reduces battery life and some occasional "song title mixed with next one" bugs it's still rock-solid. Only an 80GB model but the kicker for me is hardware controls--with my old car without BT etc the click wheel is the only safe way for me to swap songs on the road.

Doubt you'll get your 128GB though due to the cost. The iPod market has cratered, don't think proliferation is likely.

mrkgoo

Was this ever explained, it looks hideous!

Probably a holdover as they ran out of time to give it a proper treatment. At this stage, Game Centre on Mac OS is still green felt.

Maybe they're just going to change them both to be tr same come 10.10 and are just waiting for the reveal/release.

Mr Swine

Banned
Which is why it won't happen, it wouldn't be cost effective for Apple to do it (it's one of those things I dream about, but realistically know won't happen). Might look into modding my iPod with either a bigger HDD or a CFSD adapter when the HDD does bite the dust.

Why wouldn't it be cost effective? Aren't flash/NAND prices going down each year? It feels like the SSD space is moving like a rocket while flash/NAND on smartphones have been standing still since 2010

Pachimari

There are always, always new iOS features that can only be utilized by the latest hardware. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if HealthBook was iPhone 5S/6 only, with their iWallet app thing being iPhone 6 only due to NFC (rumors).
Yeah I know that. Just wondered if the iPhone 5 would be able to support some of those features.

Juice

LOL, if you thought iOS7 beta was buggy... you missed some of the highlights of being in the iOS beta. iOS7 beta was one of the most stable, non-phone-bricking releases of the software ever.

Yup. iOS 4 beta literally bricked two of my phones

Enco

Oh crap this is tomorrow.

Haven't been as excited as I was for the last talk but this should be interesting.

AmanoBuff

Just found this thread (thanks Gamerloid). Right on time I think.

Is there an OT yet?

Hyped for iOS 8 and the new OS X. Pretty sure the later will remain free.

I don't expect any hardware announcements, but I'm looking forward to see how all those iHome rumors pan out. I don't think the iWatch is ready for prime time yet, but they might want to announce it early on like they did with the first iPhone, so who knows.

And please Apple, increase the 5GB free iCloud storage.

Iacobellis

My hype is definitely leaning more towards OS X 10.10 rather than iOS 8. I'll probably end up partitioning my drive to mess around with the beta.

Top Bottom