• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

God that dock looks nasty. I really hope it's just the pictures but so far what I'm seeing looks worse than it looks right now.

iMax

Not really, all those things seem completely plausible for a prototype months away from being shown off and even further from being shipped.

Plus it was pretty much verified...

Why would a Photoshop use placeholder data? Placeholder data is very common in beta design.

March 24 seems rather late to be toying around with placeholder data in Apple's schedule. But if for whatever reason it is legit, I sincerely hope it's an extremely early build. It looks disgusting. And I like iOS 7.

On another note (I don't use Reddit much), what qualifies someone to be 'verified'? What proof do they need to share?

amnesiac

On another note (I don't use Reddit much), what qualifies someone to be 'verified'? What proof do they need to share?
Quote from a mod on Reddit regarding verification qualifications:
Received additional qualifying photos from OP (including the unmodified versions of the ones in the album), and verified their connection with Apple thanks to help from the experts at MacRumors[1] .

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They've already been removed. Even from MacRumors.

They must have been super real.

I hope the Dock really isn't that wide unless that background is always on the desktop layer. It'd interfere with my Bowtie and GeekTool stuff. And that ain't kosher. Then again right now I keep it hidden anyway, but I had hoped to make it visible again.

We'll find out in 10 hours.

iMax

Quote from a mod on Reddit regarding verification qualifications:

Found a quote from MacRumors too:

While we can't say for sure that these images are genuine, the evidence we have seen privately is enough for us to consider it a distinct possibility.

Sounds like the evidence is circumstantial and not necessarily related to the images. I'm guessing the individual shared some proof of employment or something. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's just 'some dude' who works for Apple and mocked these up himself.

The OS X team is a lot smaller than most people think and stuff like this doesn't tend to leak outside of it.

amnesiac

Found a quote from MacRumors too:

Sounds like the evidence is circumstantial and not necessarily related to the images. I'm guessing the individual shared some proof of employment or something. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's just 'some dude' who works for Apple and mocked these up himself.

The OS X team is a lot smaller than most people think and stuff like this doesn't tend to leak outside of it.

I guess. I mean, even if the images are real/fake, I don't think they should be all that surprising. We know that the new OS X will have lots of elements not unlike those found in iOS 7. The fact that those pictures were allegedly taken in March makes them obsolete now as they probably changed a lot of it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They were removed by request of the uploader, not Apple.
Which means the original poster is afraid of his bosses catching on. If they were fake, there'd be no reason to remove them.

We'll see, but I can see them being real. As in real old. As in hopefully stuff has changed a bit since they were taken.

If they are real, I do like the Control Center left side pop-up. Hopefully it's extendable and fleshed out.

What's wrong with the dock? I've been using the left side dock for the past 2 years and it looks fine.

change-dock-location.jpg

iMax

I guess. I mean, even if the images are real/fake, I don't think they should be all that surprising. We know that the new OS X will have lots of elements not unlike those found in iOS 7. The fact that those pictures were allegedly taken in March makes them obsolete now as they probably changed a lot of it.

Oh, I don't deny that at all. Of course it's going to be taking cues from iOS 7. It's just they're doing it wrong. I'm looking at these photos and it's just ugly as hell. iOS 7 is gorgeous and the UI inconsistencies in this leak are bothering the hell out of me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What's wrong with the dock? I've been using the left side dock for the past 2 years and it looks fine.

change-dock-location.jpg
The problem is the bottom Dock only has a 3D mode. While the left and right have 2D mode. The 2D mode looks really nice and some people want to use it on the bottom, but are forced to only use 3D.

Of course it looks like after this fall the 3D Dock will probably be dead. Funny because I remember how awesome it was when it came out. The shiny reflections and shit. Such amazingness for an OS.

I am ready for change. Bring it, Apple.

numble

March 24 seems rather late to be toying around with placeholder data in Apple's schedule. But if for whatever reason it is legit, I sincerely hope it's an extremely early build. It looks disgusting. And I like iOS 7.

March is still 6-8 months from release, I don't think it's late at all.

dc89

I can't cast my mind back so maybe someone else can answer. How soon after do the iOS beta's go live after WWDC?

KtSlime

Was Snow Leopard back when we had the REAL Spaces, not what we have now?

*checks*

Yup, it was. I think I'm okay with this idea. Really, though, at this point, I'll take anything that isn't Mavericks.

Yes, but it was already after we got the crappy version of exposé.

I hope the fitness component of the iWatch and Healthbook syncs with MyFitnessPal, MapMyRide, etc. The Fitbit syncs with everything, which is what makes it useful.

I could imagine this Healthbook being even more like Passback in that it has a quick and easy glance at all of your fitness apps - current calorie data from MyFitnessPal, current steps/distance from iWatch/Fitbit, a map screen from MapMyRide, etc.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Seriously. I love Mavericks. I don't understand why people would want to go back to Mountain Lion or Snow Leopard.

In my opinion, OS X gets better and better. Even with the weird changes they occasionally make.

KtSlime

I don't have anything running OSX (yet) but I'm curious, what did Mavericks change for the worse?

We're kind of like conservatives, the older generation is always better. No particular reason, it just is.

I look forward to the announcement, in 7h50m, I've thought for a while now that it would be cool to get rid of the titlebar and use 3 fingers on the trackpad to move around windows from anywhere inside the frame. Parts of those photos are pretty ugly, but I'm sure it will look much better in the presentation.

Futureman

I don't think I've ever had an issue with any version of OS X and I think my first Mac was running 10.3. Every release has seemed worthy to me.

LeleSocho

Banned
I like Mavericks and it's best thing we had since Snow Leopard but man if i could go back to Snow Leopard i wouldn't even need to think about it.

Also Tiger>Leopard.

LCfiner

We're kind of like conservatives, the older generation is always better. No particular reason, it just is.

I look forward to the announcement, in 7h50m, I've thought for a while now that it would be cool to get rid of the titlebar and use 3 fingers on the trackpad to move around windows from anywhere inside the frame. Parts of those photos are pretty ugly, but I'm sure it will look much better in the presentation.

I think for usability sake, having a grippable area on the icon/title bar to move it around with a mouse is still a good idea. abandoning mouse users (or making them perform a more cumbersome gesture) is something I hope Apple doesn’t do with Mac OS for something as fundamental as moving a window around. They need to leave some space for a click and drag on a window.

Fuchsdh

Would Siri on OS X really be that useful? I use Siri on my phone for 2 things: start a timer and directions home.

Not really, they can show manual entry (like weight) or demo a third party product. I'm sure come the September event, they'll demo iOS 8 + iPhone 6 + iWatch.

That's really all I use it for too: timers and alarms. On OS X I feel like it's easier to get around so it has less utility, especially since I'd rather have it on the device I'm carrying around.

Now, syncing that data to all your devices so when your timer goes off you could silence it from your desktop, et al? That'd be god tier awesome for me.

The problem is the bottom Dock only has a 3D mode. While the left and right have 2D mode. The 2D mode looks really nice and some people want to use it on the bottom, but are forced to only use 3D.

Of course it looks like after this fall the 3D Dock will probably be dead. Funny because I remember how awesome it was when it came out. The shiny reflections and shit. Such amazingness for an OS.

I am ready for change. Bring it, Apple.

I'm gonna' miss my 3D dock. Hated the uber shiny in 10.7 but love he 10.8 and 10.9 incarnation.

I'm pretty much resigned to me hating 10.10's aesthetics but figure like all things Apple come one or two versions down the line it'll look like something decent.

No_Style

Seriously. I love Mavericks. I don't understand why people would want to go back to Mountain Lion or Snow Leopard.

In my opinion, OS X gets better and better. Even with the weird changes they occasionally make.

I'm with you, sir. I love all the power improvements for Mavericks especially.

Futureman

just saw the leaked images... doesn't look too different really. I thought this was going to be a complete visual overhaul of OS X. Doesn't look like it.

the battery on my Galaxy Nexus is so horrible at this point. Wish Apple would pull out a stunner and announce the new iPhone today :( Dunno if I can wait til September. Might have to go with Android again.

LCfiner

I’d be surprised if they used duplicate round rect iOS icons for Mac icons instead of circles or some other shape - assuming they put every icon in a border to remove the “3Dness” of them.

I do hope that the control center and more prominent floating spotlight window are real.

Top Bottom