• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

KtSlime

They did drop support for some of the C2Ds that did support 64bit though.

I believe that was due to a 32bit firmware implementation right?

Still being capable didn't stop Apple from dropping support before. Like I said, I still have one, but they are getting pretty slow and with the computers (with few exceptions) having a baseline as an i5 in the entire lineup, the odds are pretty good of the C2D being dropped.

I'd love to be wrong though.

Apple has been very good about not dropping hardware recently, they've pretty much kept everything the same from Lion on. My 2008 MB still runs like a champ, I did upgrade the ram to 8GB though.

Since everyone with a Mac is floating around here, I figure now is a good time to ask:

Is there a way in OSX to set the computer to only display on the external monitor without closing the laptop? I don't want to dual screen because of the increased GPU demand and playing a game like this causes visual lag.

In Windows, I can just set the laptop to "Second Display Only" and it shuts down the built-in display in favor of the external monitor/projector. I don't want to close the laptop because I don't have an external keyboard. Is there a way to do this in OSX?

rezuth

Since everyone with a Mac is floating around here, I figure now is a good time to ask:

Is there a way in OSX to set the computer to only display on the external monitor without closing the laptop? I don't want to dual screen because of the increased GPU demand and playing a game like this causes visual lag.

In Windows, I can just set the laptop to "Second Display Only" and it shuts down the built-in display in favor of the external monitor/projector. I don't want to close the laptop because I don't have an external keyboard. Is there a way to do this in OSX?

Are you talking about not mirroring?

Tip 1: Use The Terminal
Don’t be afraid – launch Terminal app and type or paste the following code in:
sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0"
Then type in your main password when prompted. You’ll need to restart your Macbook, but be sure it’s connected to that external display – this will shut off your internal screen until you use the following command to change it back:
sudo nvram -d boot-args
Then reboot again. If you accidentally disconnect the MacBook from the display, you’ll need to zap the pram, which entails holding Command-Option-P-R when restarting.
Tip 2: Use the System Preferences
Be sure to have your MacBook plugged in for this one. Then, open System Preferences and go to Mission Control. Click on Hot Corners and click on one of the corners – it’s up to you which one. Once selected, pull down the menu next to it and choose Put Display To Sleep.
Connect the external display to your MacBook and then move your mouse to the corner you selected above. It should turn off only the internal display. Close your MacBook lid and wait a couple of seconds. Lift the lid and it should stay off. You can use the trackpad and keyboard in this way as well.
Tip 3: Use a Magnet
This last is more of a “cool, check it out” tip. Don’t try this at home if you’re concerned about bringing a magnet anywhere near your computer, and don’t blame us if you do and something funky happens.
That said, be sure to attach an external keyboard and mouse first. Then, find a small magnet from your fridge. Don’t use anything stronger than that, ok? Connect the external display to your MacBook, slide the magnet around the outside lip of the MacBook screen until it goes right to sleep. Once it goes to sleep, press any key on the external keyboard you connected up, and the MacBook should display only on the external monitor.
This is of course more dangerous than just closing and re-opening your MacBook when connected to an external display, but that trick no longer works that well in OS X Mountain Lion.
Have fun dissipating heat and using your graphics chip to its highest ability, and let us know in the comments what your favorite tip is.

Furyous

I wish there was an RDFGAF so I could join.

I come bearing gifts in the form of a cooler filled with non alcoholic drinks.

Personally, I want a rMBP 13 sitting on 16 GB of RAM with a dGPU.

At least hint at a new iPhone 6.

This is the first time I'm able to upgrade the OS since Snow Leopard so I can't wait to download the newest version.

I hope the retail packaging looks great like it always does.

This is the first time I'm able to upgrade the OS since Snow Leopard so I can't wait to download the newest version.

lol

Also, first time you're able to upgrade since SL? OS X 10.9 Mavericks was free if you have Snow Leopard (and thus the App Store)... and if you're expecting your computer to be able to run 10.10, it should be able to run 10.9 as well.

I'm excited for some iOS news, but I gotta say, I can't wait not to upgrade my iPad 4 to iOS 8, because it will kill any performance it has. I just can't see split screen multi-tasking working well with 1 GB of RAM. Heck, I'm still on iOS 6 and some apps being pushy towards iOS 7 is already annoying enough.

Pooya

I'm excited for some iOS news, but I gotta say, I can't wait not to upgrade my iPad 4 to iOS 8, because it will kill any performance it has. I just can't see split screen multi-tasking working well with 1 GB of RAM. Heck, I'm still on iOS 6 and some apps being pushy towards iOS 7 is already annoying enough.

iOS7 runs fine on ipad4, actually better than ipad air lol. Switching to 64 bit, ios somehow needs more ram than before for same tasks.

kudoboi

can't wait for this. I might buy a iPhone 6 if they release a model with a 4.7 inch or larger screen. Not really interested in mac OS though

asdad123

If they release a rmbp with a dedicated gpu, I will sell my 2 month old retina and buy it in a heart beat.

they'll never do it :(

Futureman

there's an image on The Verge of two iMacs w/ a mountain-like background.

anyone see a version of this image online at a higher res? We could at least see if the dock is any different or the icons.

or I guess just wait 40 minutes haha.

VoxPop

If they release a rmbp with a dedicated gpu, I will sell my 2 month old retina and buy it in a heart beat.

they'll never do it :(

Um don't they already sell the rMBP with dedicated GPU and have for the past 4 or so years? 750M I believe.

there's an image on The Verge of two iMacs w/ a mountain-like background.

anyone see a version of this image online at a higher res? We could at least see if the dock is any different or the icons.

or I guess just wait 40 minutes haha.

apple-wwdc-_0037.jpg

Irminsul

Aye but it's only in the top-of-the-line 15". It would be nice to get a dGPU option as BTO for the 13" as well.
Apple never sold a 13" MBP with a dedicated GPU, though, did they? But that doesn't mean they shouldn't, so you're right. It even seems like they would be the fucking only ones to sell a 13" notebook with a dGPU, period. I want that form factor and power, dammit.

numble

So where are the bootleg links for wwdc stream?

You can probably find the Twit.tv guys streaming it. Bonus! You get to listen to a bunch of old guys talk out loud during the presentations and then get confused about what was actually announced afterwards.

iOS7 runs fine on ipad4, actually better than ipad air lol. Switching to 64 bit, ios somehow needs more ram than before for same tasks.

I haven't switched to iOS 7, because of some jailbreak tweaks. Maybe Apple is going to let you switch the default browser in iOS 8? :lol

Konka

Banned
Apple never sold a 13" MBP with a dedicated GPU, though, did they? But that doesn't mean they shouldn't, so you're right. It even seems like they would be the fucking only ones to sell a 13" notebook with a dGPU, period. I want that form factor and power, dammit.

My 2010 13" pro has an nvidia 320m in it.

Edit: nm

Furyous

lol

Also, first time you're able to upgrade since SL? OS X 10.9 Mavericks was free if you have Snow Leopard (and thus the App Store)... and if you're expecting your computer to be able to run 10.10, it should be able to run 10.9 as well.

I just upgraded to a retina macbook pro 13 two months ago from a 2006 intel iMac Core Duo. Using that logic this is the first time I'll be able to upgrade the OS. Mavericks is cool but I need that new fresh OS.

Default dock is:

Finder, Launchpad, Safari, Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Reminders, Maps, Messages, FaceTime, Preview (?), iTunes, App Store, iBooks, Settings.

not sure on that one app.

whoa you right I think... Beats integration already?

what is the 3rd icon over from the left, I thought that was iTunes at first.

edit: probably not Beats, just matching iOS... and the other is Safari yup.

Safari I think, with the same icon as the iOS version.

Top Bottom