• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

glaurung

Would they really diverge that radically from the codename conventions? Again?

Cats > Mavericks > Yosemite?

And yeah, that Version 1.0 does not really convince me either.

Also - there is still a shadow below the menu bar. Impossible to know for sure with this quality. But flatness does not really go well with shadows. I call semi-bogus.

Only a few hours to learn the truth though.

iMax

So has this been already discussed before?

2014-06-0221.29.55auq4x.png

https://twitter.com/dexwell_/status/473407314251501568

THAT looks more like it ;)

Futureman

"It needs to look like that. "

it needs to look like WHAT? that screenshot is literally a blank desktop with the same title bar we have now.

edit: OH the twitter link you can see the dock. The ugly, ugly dock.

Apple's OS X UI guidelines say OS X icons should not just be iOS app icons ported over.
Obviously, they could update these guidelines, but that'd be a drastic change.
More likely, have a similar look, like Maps in Mavericks and iOS 7.

iMax

"It needs to look like that. "

it needs to look like WHAT? that screenshot is literally a blank desktop with the same title bar we have now.

And that's literally the only difference you can see, is it?

Apple's OS X UI guidelines say OS X icons should not just be iOS app icons ported over.
Obviously, they could update these guidelines, but that'd be a drastic change.
More likely, have a similar look, like Maps in Mavericks and iOS 7.

Of course they will. OS X today looks nothing like iOS. That's about to change.

upandaway

I'm okay with anything as long as they fix column view

Mavericks basically did everything I ever wanted, like proper dual monitor support, so the only thing left is fixing the few things Mavericks broke!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
we seeing new iphones today? or is that not this conference

Not typically this conference... iPhones have been unveiled later in the year for the last few releases.

That said, there are some rumors we *might* see the new iPhone. I wouldn't hold your breath.

glaurung

The freakiest thing we might see tonight is a new MB model.

No phones, those will be shown around the middle of September as usual. Don't quote me on this.

Fuchsdh

Apple really has this shit under wraps.
Indeed. While it's inevitable stuff from Chinese warehouses are going to get leaked, it's pretty clear Cook's tightened the wraps on their in-house stuff much more.
New file system would trump everything.

Might be cool but for compatibility issues I don't see it happening at this point. There would have to be a big announcement that "in 10.12 we'll switch to ZFS" and then an explanation of how people could write compatible bridges as necessary.

Rootbeer

Banned
about to get off work... gonna rush home, launch safari and enjoy the goodness.

Very excited about the 10.10 stuff.

bionic77

I hope new OS X works on older macs, can't afford to upgrade my 2010 macbook pro yet!
Not much has changed since 2010.

At worst I can see certain features or functions not working (maybe some streaming stuff) but I would be shocked if you couldn't upgrade.

Intel stuff has really slowed down recently in how fast it is advancing.

This doesn't seem like the event they would release the iWatch at...I could see that being a standalone thing.

Can't sees them doing more than 2 events for the rest of the year, sept, oct and there's a ton of stuff (new iPhones, iPads, iOS 8, OS X, new macs, apple tv, iwatch)

Could see the apple tv or watch pushed off to the start of 2015.

CrankyJay

Banned
Can't sees them doing more than 2 events for the rest of the year, sept, oct and there's a ton of stuff (new iPhones, iPads, iOS 8, OS X, new macs, apple tv, iwatch)

Could see the apple tv or watch pushed off to the start of 2015.

Then it would probably be with the iPhone or iPad bumps.

I've used every version of OS X and don't hardly remember any of the past versions at all. Once I adjust to the newest version anything prior just kinda vanishes from my mind.
I kinda miss the OS that had Front Row built in. Controlling my Mac with the little remote was cool at the time. Everything else (so basically everything) I prefer now in Mavericks...

kennah

Not much has changed since 2010.

At worst I can see certain features or functions not working (maybe some streaming stuff) but I would be shocked if you couldn't upgrade.

Intel stuff has really slowed down recently in how fast it is advancing.
As much as I don't want it to happen (2009 MacBook here) this update will probably see the death of the Core 2 Duo

bionic77

As much as I don't want it to happen (2009 MacBook here) this update will probably see the death of the Core 2 Duo
I can see that and that is fair.

Those processors are really starting to show their age.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they kept C2D CPUs for one more year (assuming update is not a huge one that demands a ton of resources).

KtSlime

Umm.. No. totally different architecture. Huge jump in efficiency between the procs.

Efficiency doesn't mean anything when talking about compatibility, they are both x86_64, the i-series does have more features, but unless the OS requires HT, or an on-die GPU, I see no need for them to drop support; is there some technology you think the i-series has that would make them drop Core 2 support?

Core 2 Duos can still handle anything the OS does. Are there certain hardware features it's missing compared to the i series other than what enables smooth video Airplay? 64-bit is why Core Duo was dropped.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
They did drop support for some of the C2Ds that did support 64bit though.

kennah

Efficiency doesn't mean anything when talking about compatibility, they are both x86_64, the i-series does have more features, but unless the OS requires HT, or an on-die GPU, I see no need for them to drop support; is there some technology you think the i-series has that would make them drop Core 2 support?
Still being capable didn't stop Apple from dropping support before. Like I said, I still have one, but they are getting pretty slow and with the computers (with few exceptions) having a baseline as an i5 in the entire lineup, the odds are pretty good of the C2D being dropped.

I'd love to be wrong though.

Top Bottom