• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yosemite Gaf

4GNr79h.jpg

HNNNNG

Now make the dock at least 100% smaller and rev up that dark theme.

Jburton

Banned
So can you still only develop for iOS on Apple machines?

Will Swift development be supported on a Windows based machine?

kennah

Are there any links for the dev Yosemite yet? I'm about to start a two month sabbatical at work and that seems like the perfect excuse to play with a beta OS.

Squalor

Do we know a time frame when we will get to know when or if we can participate in the public beta? I signed up 30 mins after the conference, but don't recall a timeframe mentioned for when it will open.
There probably weren't 1,000,000 people ahead of you within the first 30 minutes, so you should be okay. Roll out of the beta probably begins at the end of the month or early July.

Tabris

My only disappointment is there is some key hardware announces I am waiting for that are preventing from buying anything:

- Waiting for a new Mac Mini to use as my HTPC
- Waiting for a new Thunderbolt Display (ideally 4K) as my monitor, currently just using my normal laptop since my first thunderbolt display broke.
- Waiting for a new Macbook Pro Retina as my current one is 2-3 years old.

I guess September for that.

Maximus.

Summer. You could always run the developer beta for free on your machine.

There probably weren't 1,000,000 people ahead of you within the first 30 minutes, so you should be okay. Roll out of the beta probably begins at the end of the month or early July.

Great, thanks for the heads up! Yea I don't think I'll have an issue getting in, but I am really excited to get my hands on all the new features and UI.

mollipen

I'm really not sure I support this move to destroy titlebars on windows. They serve an important function, the least of which is having a known space where you can grab the window and move it around. Now, in Safari, you specifically have to hunt down the areas not taken up by buttons or other functions.

And get enough tabs going, and you lose any real way to see the full title of the webpage you're currently on.

Iacobellis

Great, thanks for the heads up! Yea I don't think I'll have an issue getting in, but I am really excited to get my hands on all the new features and UI.

I just realized we are weeks away from summer. When I first heard 'summer', I was thinking months from now like when Apple used to rollout betas in the spring.

Squalor

I'm really not sure I support this move to destroy titlebars on windows. They serve an important function, the least of which is having a known space where you can grab the window and move it around. Now, in Safari, you specifically have to hunt down the areas not taken up by buttons or other functions.

And get enough tabs going, and you lose any real way to see the full title of the webpage you're currently on.
The way Apple is taking things, they probably want people to start getting used to doing that kind of maneuvering with multi-touch gestures on the trackpad.
I just realized we are weeks away from summer. When I first heard 'summer', I was thinking months from now like when Apple used to rollout betas in the spring.
Yeah, 2014 is already in June.

Where the hell is time going?

mcfrank

The fact that iOS 8 still seemingly lacks a file system is weird. They've solved a lot of the worst issues, but it'd still be nice to have a file browser where you can open a document first and then have the phone ask you which app you want to open it in (maybe tap to open in default app, hold to have the OS list all apps compatible with that document type).

At least with iCloud Drive they've basically got everything in place to make that happen very easily next year?

Anyhow, here's hoping that the photo app (and Photos in the Cloud) gets face recognition/tagging and animated GIF support.

Oh and Siri in OSX, a financial transaction platform, and Play Next in the Music app plz.

It is not going to happen. The fact that it doesnt have a visible file system is a feature to most users who dont understand file systems.

It is not going to happen. The fact that it doesnt have a visible file system is a feature to most users who dont understand file systems.

This got us 99% of the way there. Literally all you need is the ability to open up your iCloud Drive (and/or a similar system of local storage) from the Home screen. The rest of the work is done already.

I had my doubts before but this made it pretty clear that Apple's working their way toward a visible (document storage) file system. Obviously it won't be a *real* file system in the sense of letting you nest folders within each other or explore major system directories (both of which would be awful) - it'll just be a main pool of document storage.

Bookmarked for when Apple introduces it in iOS9

Yep. Literally the only tricky thing about it would be getting developers to *remove* the per-app storage from their apps. A process during the initial OS upgrade install that basically sucks stored-in-app documents into a main document storage area is easy as hell, on the other hand (and I wouldn't be at all surprised if iOS 8 encourages development precisely along these lines, whether people are using iCloud Drive or not).

SpyGuy239

Microsoft has ALOT to do if they want to step up with the plate with Windows 9. Long time Windows only user and I am THOROUGHLY impressed with what apple brought out today.

That level of device integration and user friendly functionality is what everyone wants.

Well done apple, i'll be upgrading my iPhone 4 for a 6 this year!

Hoo-doo

Banned
Man. The iPhone/iPad/OSX integration. So goddamn nice.

It already paid off owning the trifecta, but now that they are really streamlining everything, goddamn.

The instant hotspots, SMS/Calling, handoff and airdrop features are goddamn megatons for me personally.

if i install the developer preview, when the final release comes out is it just a update or a complete new install? DP is link to your developer account.

Bookmarked for when Apple introduces it in iOS9

Actually, given that AirDrop has been unified (and presumably that means you can still AirDrop basic files between OSX and iOS instead of OSX AirDrop getting crippled), it's actually bizarre that this apparently doesn't have a unified storage pool. What happens if I try to send a .zip file to my iPhone from my Mac? Will I be allowed to do that?

If not, I don't really consider AirDrop *actually* unified whatsoever.

Fuchsdh

Don't imagine iOS 8 will hurt more than the switch from iOS 6 to 7 did on the 4S. I can see where it could feel slow to some but responsiveness is not an issue on mine.

kiguel182

Flat look looks better here than on ios. I still would prefer the current look but I don't think I have a choice.

Regarding the other changes, they probably won't do anything for me since I use Drive to do pretty much everything they want to do with iCloud and Chrome syncs stuff up for me.

Top Bottom