• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Tabris

I like that they are updating the App Store. I really hope they add the feature to exclude categories from things like Top Charts. I want to view Top Charts without Games.

Schlep

i want one unified texting app that can be used over wifi on any os. specifically ios or android.
That would be WhatsApp or Hangouts. I'd say only Hangouts, but you don't want the guy with Windows Phone to feel left out. Or you could get really crazy and use Facebook Messenger.

So iOS 8 will have fullscreen photos of incoming callers again it seems...

I'm glad as it looks silly now as is, they never should've changed it in the first place.

zychi

Banned
That would be WhatsApp or Hangouts. I'd say only Hangouts, but you don't want the guy with Windows Phone to feel left out. Or you could get really crazy and use Facebook Messenger.

i know, thats why i said origianlly i want imessage to "borrow" everything from whatsapp and put it in imessage. i prefer imessage and want it to become the standard, which is unlikely since it prolly wont ever be on android :/

waxer

just "borrow" the whole app so we can kill the split of users. i hate that half of my friends are on android use it, and the ones who are on ios use imessage. make imessage work on android somehow.
joking? Wouldnt just using whatsapp on ios fix the problem in this scenario and its already an available solution.

All my friends use one method because we all decided on it. The only reason I have two messaging apps is for Chinese fiances family. Messaging really isnt a complicated thing nowadays and even if you have more than one its no issue considering notification screens. Not sure why it matters to people to have a single unified app in practice.

Schlep

i know, thats why i said origianlly i want imessage to "borrow" everything from whatsapp and put it in imessage. i prefer imessage and want it to become the standard, which is unlikely since it prolly wont ever be on android :/

Yeah, probably not. Right now there's so many options between the three platforms: iMessage, Hangouts, Skype, Facebook, Whatsapp, BBM (lol), etc. Not really a big deal if you get unlimited text, but if you don't, then I imagine it's difficult to coordinate.

zychi

Banned
joking? Wouldnt just using whatsapp on ios fix the problem in this scenario and its already an available solution.

All my friends use one method because we all decided on it. The only reason I have two messaging apps is for Chinese fiances family. Messaging really isnt a complicated thing nowadays and even if you have more than one its no issue considering notification screens. Not sure why it matters to people to have a single unified app in practice.

you must enjoy writing papers in microsoft word, pages and google docs for each individual paper you write.

or having your digital library spread out over multiple companies. music in itunes, movies in vudu, xbox live and itunes.

you're the guy who goes "meh" to having a pc game launch in steam, uplay and gfwl.

if you read my other posts on this page, i prefer imessage and want it to be the standard. its cleaner, i dislike whatsapp and only use it for the android users who cant receive media through messaging. imessage works on my laptop, my ipad, my phone. it's all in one place.

the whole reason i like apple, is the simplicity. everything flows nicely between apps.

Nero3000

Always loved the fun with charts part of a keynote:

BpJzXgFCEAAiYPY.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
At work on lunch. Just read apple.com's rundown of the new iOS features. Lots and lots of exciting stuff. iCloud drive, inter app communication, custom action items... a new era is upon us.

Siri getting shazaam awareness and home automation features is fantastic news, and that new spotlight!!!!! My goodness gracious.

Enco

So iOS 8 will have fullscreen photos of incoming callers again it seems...

I'm glad as it looks silly now as is, they never should've changed it in the first place.

Kinda when they stopped you from deleting songs with iTunes Match.

Just straight up dumb fucking moves that they ended up changing back. They make zero sense but they're still done for some strange reason.

mrkgoo

whats app can be used via wifi like imessage can between iphones. the sms/mms part of the imessage(for me at least) doesnt work through wifi, which uses up some data.

some of my friends have an android phone that cant take .gif or pictures via sms from an iphone, so they use whatsapp. i want one unified texting app that can be used over wifi on any os. specifically ios or android.

Its all jumbled mess really.

Because SMS, while technically it must use data, doesn't actually use internet data connectivity to send and receive messages, because you can turn off mobile data and still send and receive SMS. It's its own thing, so while it does use data, it doesn't use "data".

If you know what I mean.

Ovid

Can someone explain the Instant a Hotspot feature? Will this feature eliminate the need for me to get the hotspot feature from my phone carrier?

Nero3000

Can someone explain the Instant a Hotspot feature? Will this feature eliminate the need for me to get the hotspot feature from my phone carrier?

No.

It just allows you to turn on the hotspot feature on you phone (while in your pocket) from your mac or ipad - Similar to Windows/Windows Phone.

So after updating to OS X 10.10, my trackpad seems really wonky, as if it lost its "calibration". Like it would flicker and be all jumpy. I tried booting into Windows 8 and it is still reproducible there. :\

Deku Tree

I don't think so. I'm just guessing, but I think all they were saying was that you could turn on the feature easily from your Mac with your phone nearby in your pocket or something.

Owen

Can anyone hook up a non-Apple dev with the Xcode 6 beta? I'm reading the Swift manual now and would love access to the playground editor.

Don't install developer previews on your main machine unless you're willing to deal with the consequences. But yes, it's possible (if annoying).

Apple randomly sent me a code even though I'm not registered as an OS X developer and I clicked it and it just downloaded. It looks really pretty but it's not functional at all. :(

What is the annoying way? I did a Time Machine backup prior to this (on a non-Apple HDD) so would all my files be safe?

Also: How do you downgrade back to iOS 7? iOS 8 isn't nearly "new" enough to keep up with the bugs and wonkiness.

Goldenhen

Haven't figured out how to enable the dark mode yet.
It's properly not in this build. Like how iBook application wasn't found in the first beta build of Mavericks.

Apple randomly sent me a code even though I'm not registered as an OS X developer and I clicked it and it just downloaded. It looks really pretty but it's not functional at all. :(

What is the annoying way? I did a Time Machine backup prior to this (on a non-Apple HDD) so would all my files be safe?
I think he referring the annoying way is to make bootable USB of Mavericks then have your Mac booted into USB. Use the disk utility to format the HD and then install Mavericks. After that during the process where it ask you if you want to restore from Time Machine, that where you restore your Mac to last backup state.

pxleyes

Banned
It's properly not in this build. Like how iBook application wasn't found in the first beta build of Mavericks.

I think he referring the annoying way is to make bootable USB of Mavericks then have your Mac booted into USB. Use the disk utility to format the HD and then install Mavericks. After that during the process where it ask you if you want to restore from Time Machine, that where you restore your Mac to last backup state.

You're probably right. I'll stop looking and get to installing the new Xcode.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Just watching now, kind of good they ripped off Quicksilver / Alfred for spotlight.

But rip Alfred ;_;7

Top Bottom