• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Would someone be so kind as to post/PM me the Yosemite default wallpaper in the highest res they make it available in?

Thanks <3

Squalor

Would someone be so kind as to post/PM me the Yosemite default wallpaper in the highest res they make it available in?

Thanks <3
Yes, please!
i73FAa9.jpg

Vyer

http://petapixel.com/2014/06/02/app...-for-seamless-non-destrucitve-photo-workflow/

Previously on iOS, accessing the camera of devices was extremely limited, only allowing the most basic of controls in the form of flash, HDR, ISO Boosting and a few other minor capabilities. Beyond that, it was fully automated, meaning the control you had over your images was greatly limited. With the addition of the Camera APIs to developers, those days are gone.

Developers can now access manual controls for the camera. Yes, you read that right. Camera apps built on iOS 8 will now have the ability to have complete control over the camera’s capabilities, effectively giving you ISO, Aperture, and shutter-speed control, just to list off the basics.
The second of the two major photography-related developer additions to iOS 8 is that of PhotoKit. PhotoKit will now allow third party photo apps to be used directly within the iOS Photo app and Camera Roll itself.

This means that popular apps like VSCO Cam, Litely, and more will all be usable directly within your photo library, without ever having to open up the app itself. Additionally, the photo apps can now access your photo library directly from the application, rather than having to have a different photo library within each separate editing app.

This makes for a more seamless workflow when editing photos, meaning no more importing, exporting, saving, and having four different copies of a photo. Everything is synchronized across apps and devices, with the edits being completely non-destructive.

i like

Majine

Banned
I guess no notification sync still? Was promised when they first showed iOS7, and it won't appear in iOS8 either? That's kinda sad.

methane47

With the arrival of iOS 8, sharing amongst the family is about to get a lot easier. Once you set up all the members of your household (up to six total), you can automatically share photos, calendars, reminders, location and more. But that's not all. You know that catchy tune your son bought last week? Well, you'll be able spin it on your iPhone too. Sharing books, movies, apps and songs is also thrown in, and it can all be tied to a single credit card. Don't worry parents: You'll get a notification when your kids want to make a purchase.

Sooo the Family Plan. Is it really going to happen? Will i be able to share IOS apps with my family members for free? Or did I totally understand that incorrectly and this is really some Xbox Level of misdirection?

mcfrank

just "borrow" the whole app so we can kill the split of users. i hate that half of my friends are on android use it, and the ones who are on ios use imessage. make imessage work on android somehow.

iMessage and the Texting app are the same, I don't follow what you mean?

Very happy with the announcements of revamping iMessage and iCloud's backup / drive. I'm really sick of Apple's hubris, though... I know that's how they are, but it's just embarrassing.

"People made a mistake and bought an Android phone, and now they're switching to the iPhone." Followed up by some of the major iOS8 features being things that Android has had for years, predictive typing, applications being able to communicate with one another, interacting with notifications, home screen widgets, Hands free Siri, spotlight, etc.

The big features I'll use:
- Essentially using iOS as a hub on OS X. This could be a game changer for me. I'm frustrated when I can't communicate from my computer to non-iMessage users through iMessage. Getting phone notifications (ie, calling) is significant for me too.

- Moving a photo from your iOS phone to OS X to edit has always been remarkably difficult, largely because of how poorly Photo Stream worked aand how shitty iPhoto is. This looks to be a lot easier. All I hope though is that you can just easily get access to the file. I know that OS X and iOS try to obscure the file system as much as possible, but it makes simple tasks onerous, and so I'm hoping this will be much easier now. AirDrop should make this workflow much better.

- iCloud Drive is good, but I'm not switching from Google Drive or Dropbox. Apple will be playing catch up and they update their apps at a cadence much slower than Google and Dropbox, so I'm not likely to use it much... Unless they had some very aggressive pricing, which I don't think they will.

- OS X: Spotlight refresh looks great. Happy about that.
- OS X: New UI looks good, I like it.
- OS X / iOS: Instant hotspots, sounds good.
- Swift: Sounds good

Zutroy

Well it's been fun to look about, but I'm probably going to roll back to Maverick shorty. As expected, too buggy at this early stage for everyday use.

mcfrank

Sooo the Family Plan. Is it really going to happen? Will i be able to share IOS apps with my family members for free? Or did I totally understand that incorrectly and this is really some Xbox Level of misdirection?

Up to 6 people who have the same credit card on their account.

Squalor

The way I understood it is that you and a group of people opt into "Family Sharing" and have access to one another's libraries of downloaded items.

However, it currently only allows one payment card.

methane47

The way I understood it is that you and a group of people opt into "Family Sharing" and have access to one another's libraries of downloaded items.

However, it currently only allows one payment card.

Is this not the most Epic of news today? How is this not a megaton?

zychi

Banned
iMessage and the Texting app are the same, I don't follow what you mean?

whats app can be used via wifi like imessage can between iphones. the sms/mms part of the imessage(for me at least) doesnt work through wifi, which uses up some data.

some of my friends have an android phone that cant take .gif or pictures via sms from an iphone, so they use whatsapp. i want one unified texting app that can be used over wifi on any os. specifically ios or android.

mrkgoo

Up to 6 people who have the same credit card on their account.
The credit card is actually a pretty clever way of associating different user accounts into using each other's stuff. It semi-prevents just any old user sharing, but keeps the system working.

LCfiner

Is this not the most Epic of news today? How is this not a megaton?

well, you could always sign into the sibling’s iOS device, download the app and the sign out and they could still use it. you would only need to put your password in for app updates. My sister has a lot of apps on her ipad from my account that we share. no big deal.

it was trivial to share apps now between accounts but now it’ll be easier and fully supported. the payment stuff with the parent’s cc is pretty great.

you can family share already through iTunes, now it's per account on each device.

methane47

well, you could always sign into the sibling’s iOS device, download the app and the sign out and they could still use it. you would only need to put your password in for app updates. My sister has a lot of apps on her ipad from my account that we share. no big deal.

it was trivial to share apps now between accounts but now it’ll be easier and fully supported. the payment stuff with the parent’s cc is pretty great.

Ah ok makes sense.

ReAxion

Very happy with the announcements of revamping iMessage and iCloud's backup / drive. I'm really sick of Apple's hubris, though... I know that's how they are, but it's just embarrassing.

"People made a mistake and bought an Android phone, and now they're switching to the iPhone." Followed up by some of the major iOS8 features being things that Android has had for years, predictive typing, applications being able to communicate with one another, interacting with notifications, home screen widgets, Hands free Siri, spotlight, etc.

They were applying a narrative to the numbers of what has already transpired; unless you think everyone who switched did so knowing these features would come to iOS. They also said 1/3 of Android users are on a 4 year old version.

Top Bottom