• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Blackhead

Redarse
Just watching now, kind of good they ripped off Quicksilver / Alfred for spotlight.

But rip Alfred ;_;7
crossposting from mac apps thread
Alfred and OS X 10.10 Yosemite | Alfred Blog
As some of you know, Apple announced its next operating system, OS X 10.10 Yosemite today.

A few users have voiced concerns that Spotlight in Yosemite looks more like Alfred, and wonder whether this changes anything for Alfred and his future.

What you have to remember is that Spotlight’s primary objective is to search your files and a small handful of pre-determined web sources. Meanwhile, Alfred’s primary objective is to make you more productive on your Mac with exceptional and powerful features like Clipboard History, System commands, iTunes Mini Player, 1Password bookmarks, Terminal integration, fully bespoke and customisable user-created workflows and much, much more. These features allow you to mould Alfred to your unique needs, and this isn’t going to change whether you use the free version of Alfred or the Powerpack.

In fact, we’ve been working on some pretty special and truly amazing new features that you’ll hear about over the next few months. We think these will blow your mind and can’t wait to tell you more.

Cheers,

Andrew & Vero

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
crossposting from mac apps thread

Ah, thanks. I wonder what the new features are, though to be honest my current use of Alfred is probably 95%
press e then enter for empty trash
so I'm a power user ( ≖‿≖)

So after installing Yosemite, my trackpad started to glitch real bad. It had a hard time following my finger, and right now it is moving and selecting things on its own. Sometimes a two finger scroll is interpreted as a three finger mission control gesture. At this moment, I haven't touched it for a while but it's moving and selecting things on its own. This behaviour translates to the HDD selection boot and Windows 8 as well. Is it a software or hardware issue and how do I fix this? I tried using an external mouse but my trackpad is too possessed to even let me control using that. My MacBook is effectively unusable right now

FWIW, it's an early 2013 15" rMBP

subrock

This new Swift syntax is a little tough to get used to, but it seems like an awesome language:

Code:
import UIKit

class SwaftViewController: UIViewController {

var redView : UIView?

override func loadView()
    {
        super.loadView()

self.redView = UIView(frame: CGRectMake(40.0, 30.0, 100.0, 200.0))
        self.redView!.backgroundColor = UIColor.redColor();
        self.view.addSubview(self.redView!);
    }

override func viewDidAppear(animated: Bool)
    {
        super.viewDidAppear(animated)

UIView.animateWithDuration(0.35, animations: {

self.redView!.frame.origin.x += 100.0;
        });
    }
}

obj-c:
Code:
#import "ObjactiveCViewController.h"

@interface ObjactiveCViewController ()

@property (nonatomic, strong) UIView *redView;

@end

@implementation ObjactiveCViewController

- (void)loadView
{
    [super loadView];

self.redView = [[UIView alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(30, 30, 100, 200)];
    {
        self.redView.backgroundColor = [UIColor redColor];
    }
    [self.view addSubview:self.redView];
}

- (void)viewDidAppear:(BOOL)animated
{
    [super viewDidAppear:animated];

[UIView animateWithDuration:0.35
                     animations:^{

CGRect frame = self.redView.frame;
                         frame.origin.x += 100.0;
                         self.redView.frame = frame;
                     }];
}

@end

jts

...hate me...
Come on Yosemite show up on TPB!

btw I'm gonna hit dat iCloud storage for photos and videos with a fierce.

wGXEejv.png

Godsend for flash storage Macs.

Blackhead

Redarse
So after installing Yosemite, my trackpad started to glitch real bad. It had a hard time following my finger, and right now it is moving and selecting things on its own. Sometimes a two finger scroll is interpreted as a three finger mission control gesture. At this moment, I haven't touched it for a while but it's moving and selecting things on its own. This behaviour translates to the HDD selection boot and Windows 8 as well. Is it a software or hardware issue and how do I fix this? I tried using an external mouse but my trackpad is too possessed to even let me control using that. My MacBook is effectively unusable right now

.... ?!

theres nothing to do but purchase a new (not refurbished) mac possible directly from apple. im sorry

jts

...hate me...
Also, I insisted keeping Dropbox around, but they insisted in not updating their storage pricing according to the times. Now iCloud comes and eats their lunch, as far as I'm concerned.

jts

...hate me...
I just got iOS 7 and they announce a new one?! I am done wit this company.

lolololo3l4o2l4o

I have a question about Family Sharing (sorry if it's already been answered). The feature sounds great, but I didn't think it was explained too clearly.

Up to six people can have access to the same purchases in the App store. They can all have separate iTunes accounts, but must use the same credit card. Is that correct? Basically, my family wants to share Apps but we want to have separate accounts so that we can have our own iClouds, photo/web browsing syncing, etc. Also, is it possible to have multiple credit cards associated with an account? Thanks for your answers, everyone.

Also, I insisted keeping Dropbox around, but they insisted in not updating their storage pricing according to the times. Now iCloud comes and eats their lunch, as far as I'm concerned.

iCloud Drive:
5GB Free
20GB $1 a month/$12 a year
200GB $4 a month/$48 a year
up to 1TB (pricing TBA)

Dropbox (offers separate yearly pricing):
2GB free
100GB $10 a month/$100 a year
200GB $20 a month/$200 a year
500GB $50 a month/$500 a year

Microsoft OneDrive:
7GB free (up to 15GB free with referals)
+50GB $25 a year
+100GB $50 a year
+200GB $100 a year

Google Drive:
15GB free (counts Drive, Email, and Google+ Pictures)
100GB $2 a month/$24 a year
1TB $10 a month/$120 a year
10TB $100 a month/$1200 a year
20TB $200 a month/$2400 a year
30TB $300 a month/$3600 a year

Box:
Personal:
10GB free (250MB file size limit)
100GB $10 a month/$120 a year (5GB file size limit)

Starter:
100GB $5 a month/$60 a year (per user, max 10 users. 2GB file size limit)

Business:
Unlimited storage $15 a month/$180 a year (per user, minimum 3 users. 5GB file size limit)

jts

...hate me...
iCloud Drive:
5GB Free
up to 1TB (pricing TBA)

2GB free

Microsoft OneDrive:
+50GB $25 a year
+100GB $50 a year
+200GB $100 a year

Google Drive:
I mean that I kept Dropbox even against Microsoft's and Google's aggressive offerings, but I will not do it against Apple's, since it's more inclusive and native.

Blackhead

Redarse
oh man, just remembered Apple opened up Touch ID to 3rd party devs. That should be great. No more passwords on phone?

Looking forward to third party developers naturally adopting an option for TouchID protected access to their apps yet still not being able to do that for Apple's Messages or Mail

I mean that I kept Dropbox even against Microsoft's and Google's aggressive offerings, but I will not do it against Apple's, since it's more inclusive and native.

? What does that mean?

X-Frame

Can someone tell me if the new features in iOS 8 allow apps like 1Password to be integrated into Safari?

EDIT: Apparently the developers already made a blog post about it HERE and they learned about App Extensions at the same time as everyone else, so they need to see if the new functionality will be of use to 1Password.

subrock

oh man, just remembered Apple opened up Touch ID to 3rd party devs. That should be great. No more passwords on phone?

At this point, from what I understood, it is an extra security step on top of iCloud Keychain. That means if you enable iCloud keychain, for instance in Safari, and you would like to access a saved password, you can unlock the saved password with touchID. At this point, you can already used saved passwords, sandboxed to the specific app, but you won't be asked for your Touch ID before accessing the password.

Ah, sorry for misunderstanding. Oh well, I wanted to know the different prices anyway

Blackhead

Redarse
EDIT: Apparently the developers already made a blog post about it HERE and they learned about App Extensions at the same time as everyone else, so they need to see if the new functionality will be of use to 1Password.

Depends. Custom Actions/Extensibility might allow to 1Password to do so, or a custom 1Password keyboard. It's too early to tell how robust the api is

Edit: beat by the app developers lol

jts

...hate me...
Looking forward to third party developers naturally adopting an option for TouchID protected access to their apps yet still not being able to do that for Apple's Messages or Mail

? What does that mean?
Inclusive because it includes storage for Apple stuff that I use and I can't get from 3rd parties (iPhoto, iOS backups, iWork, whatever), native because it's built-in on the Mac and iOS devices am I right?

Blackhead

Redarse
Inclusive because it includes storage for Apple stuff that I use and I can't get from 3rd parties (iPhoto, iOS backups, iWork, whatever), native because it's built-in on the Mac and iOS devices am I right?

I would have understood that better if you used the words 'exclusive' and 'default' instead.
Be kind enough to post a review when you switch over.

Deku Tree

iCloud Drive:
5GB Free
up to 1TB (pricing TBA)

2GB free

Microsoft OneDrive:
+50GB $25 a year
+100GB $50 a year
+200GB $100 a year

Google Drive:

What about the pricing for box sync?

Ovid

No.

It just allows you to turn on the hotspot feature on you phone (while in your pocket) from your mac or ipad - Similar to Windows/Windows Phone.
I don't think so. I'm just guessing, but I think all they were saying was that you could turn on the feature easily from your Mac with your phone nearby in your pocket or something.

Damn, I knew it was too good to be true.

Thanks.

What about the pricing for box sync?

Also added to my original post

For personal users:
10GB free (250MB file size limit)
100GB $10 a month/$120 a year (5GB file size limit)

Anything over those is business

Starter:
100GB $5 a month/$60 a year (per user, max 10 users. 2GB file size limit)

Business:
Unlimited storage $15 a month/$180 a year (per user, minimum 3 users. 5GB file size limit)

jts

...hate me...
I would have understood that better if you used the words 'exclusive' and 'default' instead.
Be kind enough to post a review when you switch over.
Sorry but english is not my native or default language :p

I sure will, although I'm thinking it will take some time for Apple to rollout the new service.

And tbh, I'm not sure I will ditch Dropbox 100% from the get go, because I have at least one important Windows XP-based machine that syncs a folder with my Dropbox, and probably iCloud drive will not support XP, and even if does, probably won't have selective sync with different users. I concede that point ;)

I will at least move most of my stuff.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really can't wait for the new Safari. They finally got Tab Overview right. And put the iCloud stuff in the new tab page like it is on iOS. I just hope it still supports extensions that have toolbar icons. I mean there's plenty of space up there now. But where the hell did my Fullscreen icon go? Is that what the Zoom button does now? None of the windows shown have the dedicated Fullscreen mode. And I doubt they'd drop it. The Zoom button must do it now.

I am really looking forward to dark mode. But I wish they'd shown what apps look like. They only showed the Dock and menubar and kept the desktop image. No windows were open. So what will they look like? Who knows. Hopefully good. I might end up using it.

I hope Bowtie and GeekTool work without problems still. Even though my reliance on them is disappearing with Yosemite. So I might even dump them. I only use them to have the time and date and current song on my desktop. But with the new Today panel I won't even need it except for looks.

Speaking of which, I wish the sidebar would let me just put the Notifications list next to the Today list on the same panel. Just make it wider and side by side. No reason to have them separate. I'm really looking forward to it though. Shame it seems they'll have to be from the App Store so I won't be able to make my own without a developer program account and $99. I don't code. Especially not in Cocoa.

Also, was that other leaked left sidebar with the power utilities and iTunes album art widget fake I guess?

The new Spotlight might actually make me use LaunchPad less. I already use it for launching apps occasionally. But it just looks so good. I might just use it. Hell, I might change my LaunchPad gesture to open Spotlight instead.

I love that they referenced that Amazon Swiss Army Knife.

Cannot wait.

Top Bottom